Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-06-2008, 2:30 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Is it OK to ship ammo to California?

We have had quite a few requests for ammo shipments to California but I am not sure about any possible California DOJ or State law that may prevent it. Is there a guide that lists general/specific laws regarding ammo shipments to California?

Henderson Defense Industries
Old 04-06-2008, 2:40 PM

Hurry up before AB 2062 is passed.

Quote:
AB 2062 hearing has been postponed until April 8th, 2008. While the bill will be appearing before committee, NRA asks that gun owners contact the members of the entire Assembly and urge a NO vote on AB 2062.
Quote:
This bill would establish a program administered by the Department of Justice for licensing handgun ammunition vendors, as specified. The bill would also authorize the issuance of a handgun ammunition permit, to be used by purchasers of handgun ammunition, as specified.

The bill would authorize the Department of Justice to incorporate the permit information into a permittee's California driver's license, as specified.

The bill would establish a database maintained by the department to serve as a registry of handgun ammunition vendors. The bill would also establish a database of handgun ammunition permittees.

This bill would require that commencing July 1, 2009, unless specifically excluded, no person shall sell or transfer more than 50 rounds of handgun ammunition in any month unless they are registered as a handgun ammunition vendor, as defined. The bill would also require these vendors to obtain a background clearance for those employees who would handle ammunition in the course and scope of their employment. The bill would require the Department of Justice to maintain a registry of registered handgun ammunition vendors, as specified. Violation of these provisions, as specified, would be subject to civil fines, as specified a misdemeanor .

By creating a new crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.

The bill would also provide that no retail seller of ammunition shall sell, offer for sale, or display for sale, any handgun ammunition in a manner that allows that ammunition to be accessible to a purchaser without the assistance of the retailer or employee thereof. Violation of these provisions would be subject to civil fines, as specified.

The bill would further provide that handgun ammunition may only be purchased in a face-to-face transaction and only if certain conditions exist.

Existing law generally regulates what information is required to be obtained in connection with the transfer of ammunition.

This bill would, subject to exceptions, commencing July 1, 2009, require certain ammunition vendors to obtain a thumbprint and other information from ammunition purchasers, and would require submission of that information to the Department of Justice, as specified. A violation of these provisions would be subject to civil fines, as specified a misdemeanor .

This bill would provide that a person enjoined from engaging in activity associated with a criminal street gang, as specified, would be prohibited from having under his or her possession custody or control, any ammunition. Violation of these provisions would be a misdemeanor.

The bill would prohibit supplying or delivering, as specified, handgun ammunition to prohibited persons, as described, by persons or others who know or have cause to believe the recipient is a persons prohibited from possessing ammunition. Violation of these provisions is a misdemeanor with specified penalties.

By creating new crimes, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.
Old 04-06-2008, 3:24 PM

i bought some jhps from ableammo (texas). no age check other than credit card. had the ORM-D/small arms sticker on the packaging.
Old 04-06-2008, 3:45 PM

There are certain cities and counties that don't allow it.
I know Yolo county is a problem but don't know any others.
One reason I don't buy from sportsmans guide anymore is they don't ship certain rifle ammo here but they are wrong wrong wrong about it.
Old 04-06-2008, 6:51 PM

It is good to check the policies of the big places like sportsmans paradise and cheaper than dirt. you are limited to age and some counties and some cities. Please don't confuse the city of los angeles with the county of same....common mistake.
Old 04-06-2008, 7:30 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

The general answer is that you can ship any legal ammunition almost anywhere in California. There are some exceptions in the LA area and beyond that I'm unaware of any direct limitations currently.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 04-06-2008, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
There are some exceptions in the LA area.

-Gene
can you tell me what are or where can I get that info.
Old 04-06-2008, 8:45 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I appreciate the help folks. Ammo is pretty cheap to ship to California from Southern Nevada so this should be a good thing.

Old 04-06-2008, 9:07 PM
Veteran Member

Sacramento CITY is one place that restricts ammo sales. When dealing with folks in the Sacramento area, you can check with the Sacramento County Assessor's office (http://www.assessor.saccounty.net/) and enter an address and you can determine very quickly if an address is within the City of Sacramento or the County of Sacramento. My "City" address says Sacramento, so does my zipcode... however, I live in unincorporated Sacramento county land. I am not subject to the laws of the CITY when I am at home.

Most of the online shippers of ammo do not bother to check further than a zipcode, so they deny me something that I can legally order and have shipped to me. I hope that your shipping folks take the extra minute to verify Sacramento addresses as being Sacramento county or Sacramento city by running the actual address through the assessor's office. It will make the customers up here happy to do business with you.

Just remember to use Internet Explorer on that site... it hates pretty much everything else I've tried.
Old 04-07-2008, 2:51 AM

Not only ok, but encouraged! (by me anyways!)

I've been stocking up, what kind of deals do you have?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:16 AM

Is it still ok to ship ammo to CA? A friend told me that a law recently passed making it illegal to ship to CA, and I can't buy more than 50 rounds per month. I can't find much info on the internet about it.

Any truth to it?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Nut View Post
Is it still ok to ship ammo to CA? A friend told me that a law recently passed making it illegal to ship to CA, and I can't buy more than 50 rounds per month. I can't find much info on the internet about it.

Any truth to it?
Nothing has changed yet. It doesn't go in to effect until 2011.

Life Member NRA
Life Member CRPA
Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears
Old 03-25-2010, 10:32 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
and I can't buy more than 50 rounds per month.

Not in the passed law.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Graf & Sons free shipping on orders with $3.50 S & H fee. Good prices. Am in LA get ammo all the time.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:29 AM

In the "Greater Los Angeles" area, or specifically in LA County, the city of LA restricts ammo from being shipped here (pretty much any of the 900xx zip codes).

I work in downtown LA (at a law firm of all places), and it would be nice if I could receive the shipment at my work as it's more convenient for me to receive packages. I've had other "gun-related" parts shipped here without any problems, but ammo can't be shipped. So I just have it shipped to my house in Walnut as there's no city ordinance against it. Even when I lived in West Hollywood a few years ago, that was still considered 'city of LA' (90069 zip) even though it's technically "West Hollywood," and I could not receive ammo shipments there either.
Old 04-08-2010, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucc View Post
There are certain cities and counties that don't allow it.
I know Yolo county is a problem but don't know any others.
One reason I don't buy from sportsmans guide anymore is they don't ship certain rifle ammo here but they are wrong wrong wrong about it.

There Are still places which will ship to Yolo. They tend to be the more expensive online venders, but if you need it....You need it. Actually the prices on the ammo are fair, but the shipping is what kills me. I too no longer deal with sportsmans guide or any other dealer/vender which will not ship Legal items to CA.
Old 04-08-2010, 8:33 PM

Forgot to add....I bought a couple 550 bulk federal .22 boxes the other day at walmart. I've bought there on and off over the years when I needed ammo or saw a decent deal. However; this was the first time I was ever asked: " Is this ammo going to be used for a rifle or handgun?" I looked and the lady and said why do you ask? she turned the monitor around to show that the computer prompted her various questions to ask the customer before the sale...and that was one of them. I was told they had to type in the answer before she could continue with the sale. I told her RIFLE....and we continued with the transaction. Why would it matter whether or not the .22 ammo I purchased was intented for handgun or rifle use? I was thinking maybe it was for some kind of survey? The lady at the ammo counter didn't seem to know and I didn't want to hassle her too much considering she was just doing her job. Have any of you guys experienced this or know why all of a sudden there asking this at wal-mart?
Old 04-08-2010, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

.22LR is one of the rounds that are very commonly used in rifles and handguns. I would imagine that if you'd answered handgun, the next prompt would have been "Buyer under 21?" A yes answer would stop that particular sale because people under 21 aren't allowed to buy handgun ammo.
Old 04-09-2010, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSDGuy View Post
.22LR is one of the rounds that are very commonly used in rifles and handguns. I would imagine that if you'd answered handgun, the next prompt would have been "Buyer under 21?" A yes answer would stop that particular sale because people under 21 aren't allowed to buy handgun ammo.
hmmm that makes sense...I think you're most likely right. I just kind of felt like it wasn't there business what I was using it for...and to insist I answer the question before I could buy the ammo just made me feel like...well it pissed me off.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HendersonDefense View Post
We have had quite a few requests for ammo shipments to California but I am not sure about any possible California DOJ or State law that may prevent it. Is there a guide that lists general/specific laws regarding ammo shipments to California?

It is legal, and as said before encouraged. There are a few cities and one county that do not allow shipping of ammo into there city/county limits. I am not too sure but last time I saw some of them were San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento (City or County?), Los Angeles (City), Yolo County.* Even though I reload I am willing to support a company that is willing to put in the research about California laws without just straight out banning sales of ammo to California. I still need to stock up on ungodly amounts of .22lr before 2011.

*Please someone with better knowledge correct me

Edgerly, Grafs S&H is 4.50 and you are located in Los Angeles County not the city so it is fine. A lot of people that are not from the area are confused with how Los Angeles County and City are laid out and the urban sprawl. Los Angeles County covers such a big area and many claim to be from Los Angeles, but few actually live in the city. Like Eagle Rock is Los Angeles but it is not the city, yet the address is still listed as Los Angeles. BTW how's the valley, heat getting bad yet? I used to work in Woodland Hills at Kolbe Cycle Sales on Ventura just south of Canoga Park. The 100+ degree weather sucked in the summer.

Last edited by Dubels; 04-09-2010 at 10:38 AM..
Old 04-09-2010, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSDGuy View Post
Sacramento CITY is one place that restricts ammo sales. When dealing with folks in the Sacramento area, you can check with the Sacramento County Assessor's office (http://www.assessor.saccounty.net/) and enter an address and you can determine very quickly if an address is within the City of Sacramento or the County of Sacramento. My "City" address says Sacramento, so does my zipcode... however, I live in unincorporated Sacramento county land. I am not subject to the laws of the CITY when I am at home.

Most of the online shippers of ammo do not bother to check further than a zipcode, so they deny me something that I can legally order and have shipped to me. I hope that your shipping folks take the extra minute to verify Sacramento addresses as being Sacramento county or Sacramento city by running the actual address through the assessor's office. It will make the customers up here happy to do business with you.

Just remember to use Internet Explorer on that site... it hates pretty much everything else I've tried.
This restriction does not apply to mail order ammo. I can't find it right now but I'm certain that Gene Hoffman posted a letter from the city Atty that confirmed that the regulation only applies to vendors and sales both located in the city limits.

ETA: Found it. HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
WANTED: G19. New or near new condition in Sacramento area.

Last edited by jb7706; 04-09-2010 at 3:53 PM..
Old 04-09-2010, 4:15 PM
Veteran Member

Check local ordinances, off the top of my head Napa and Yolo counties have ordinances against ammo, LA has restrictions, and as mentioned Sacramento has something too. After the new BS law goes into affect only handgun ammo is restricted. The good news for some of us is if you have an FFL03 and a COE you can still mail order ANY legal ammo (no incendiaries or AP)....so if you provide a framework to make it easy, you'll get business that other vendors miss on.........
"Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."
Old 06-16-2010, 5:12 PM
Banned

I think you can ship it to FFL Dealers

Tony
Old 06-16-2010, 5:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Live in NorCal and work in SoCal...Gun laws in CA are terrible.

NO problem but it depends on county and city. Just ordered some Ammo and it is shipping to me in Irvine.
03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.