Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Default How TO: SAIGA/AK .223 to M16 mag conversion w/pics

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=17312&hl=

I always knew it was possible.... IF I cant track down an adaptor for a reasonable price, Im gonna try to make one (I have TIG ability, but I can also MIG it or even silver solder it....)

I plan to make mine a tad different, since my SAIGA is CA compliant (read: original monte carlo stock) I have the rear-set trigger and tons of room behind the original mag catch.

I plan to make an adaptor that STAYS in the gun permanently using either rivets at the stock mag release rivet location or welding. Since I WONT need the stock mag release, it would give me room to use AR15 mag release parts (button/spring/bar) and put the button on the proper side....

Might be hard to visualize but I know it will work. All it is, is 3 pieces of sheet metal and one with a bend/slot in it for the AR magazine catch to clear. Shouldnt be too hard to make.

Input/opinions?

J

P.S. I also have access to a mill now....
Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 PM

does this trigger 922r?
Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Keep us updated. I'm looking to do the same thing to a Saiga223
Old 03-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Keep us updated. I'm looking to do the same thing to a Saiga223
Same here. I want one for mine.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:59 PM

tagged for one.
Old 03-25-2008, 7:37 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Make one solid piece, and have it held in by the original Saiga mag release lever, with a Morepoop4u style lock on there, optionally to keep it from falling out if you accidentally hit the original mag release.
Old 03-25-2008, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaton76 View Post
Make one solid piece, and have it held in by the original Saiga mag release lever, with a Morepoop4u style lock on there, optionally to keep it from falling out if you accidentally hit the original mag release.
After doing more measuring and visualizing w/paint and datacad, I dont think AR15 mag release parts will be able to work AND attach the adaptor like I had hoped for (the mag bar/spring would have to be about where the rivets would go...look at the 1st pic above, of the bare galil receiver...see the rivet holes)

There is an IMI manufactured adapter that has a "lock" that shrouds the original mag release and locks it with a bar so theres no way to accidentally drop the adapter instead of the mag (that would suck, to say the least)

I guess Ill probably just mimic their method, or else maybe you could run the bar to the FRONT of the magazine and have the mag button a little farther forward (but that would make it kinda pointless for monte carlo stock)...

The saga continues.... or is that SAIGA? lol

J
Old 03-25-2008, 9:15 PM

If you can produce them for sale, I'll buy one. I bet everyone at saiga forum would buy them also.

I've seen that mod online before. As I understand it there were some chambering problems. Bullets were pointing too much upwards. It also takes a lot of receiver grinding. End result is a rifle that is not 100%.
Old 03-25-2008, 9:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Jay,

You'd want to move the mag release back far enough it can be operated by the right hand without pulling it off the stock. That means the "normal" AR-style wouldn't be optimal, although you could put almost it there and create an extended lever for people with Saigas and the button for people with AKs.