Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2014, 11:31 AM

Default O'Brien Pistol Training

I wanted to put a good word in for O'Brien Pistol Training.
I've been taking lessons from Gary O'Brien of O'Brien Pistol Training at the Davis Street range in San Leandro. I have seen a dramatic improvement in my accuracy and technique. Gary is knowledgeable, competent , extremely safe and has a great sense of humor. I highly recommend him if your looking to qualify for your CCW or just want to tighten up your shooting skill set.
E-mail him at :gobrien747@aol.com
Old 05-05-2014, 8:22 PM

Default I second that.

I have taken classes from 3 other reputable organizations but, Gary really brings it all together into a crisp lesson. Yes he is funny but, looks aside, he is just a fantastic teacher. I was really surprised by how changing my grip could improve my speed and accuracy. Thank you Gary.
Old 05-22-2014, 3:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My wife and I each took a lesson from Gary a few days ago. We're very new to handguns, maybe 600 rounds each, and Gary increased both our knowledge and confidence as a result of the lesson. Gary's instruction is very focused and he's very tuned in to how a student is reacting to a new skill; he tailored the instruction to our specific needs.

I would not hesitate to recommend Gary to someone looking for one-on-one handgun instruction.

Last edited by rdtompki; 06-18-2014 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 06-16-2014, 8:36 PM

I've taken lessons from Gary for the last year and he's fantastic. He is very methodical, well spoken and an effective communicator during the session. He's also very dedicated to the process, he literally spends most of his day accumulating knowledge to pass on when he is not doing a one on one class, the man is a machine!!
Old 06-17-2014, 7:41 AM

I've been researching/looking for good handgun instruction. Thanks folks for helping me narrow down my list. This was helpful!
Old 06-18-2014, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
My wife and I each took a lesson from Gary a few days ago. We're very new to handguns, maybe 600 rounds each increased both our knowledge and confidence as a result of the lesson. Gary's instruction is very focused and he's very tuned in to how a student is reacting to a new skill; he tailored the instruction to our specific needs.

I would not hesitate to recommend Gary to someone looking for one-on-one handgun instruction.
wow 600 rds each? how long was your training session?
Old 06-18-2014, 12:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by haw1144 View Post
wow 600 rds each? how long was your training session?
I omitted a comma. At the time of our first lesson our experience, each, consisted of about 600 rounds. Amazing the damage that can be caused by bad punctuation.
Old 07-31-2014, 4:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Wife and I took another lesson recently with Gary. We came away with a great deal to work on to speed and refine our shooting, but the one that made the greatest impression was trigger prep both prior to the first shot and between shots. Gary is great at explaining and helping us visualize what he is looking for. I really liked the image of relaxing the trigger finger between shots and simply letting the spring do all the “work” of finding reset; this approach to "finding" reset is something that can really improve our trigger management and is easily practiced at home. Gary has a equally good approaches to handgun deployment from compressed ready and rapid target transition. Gary's instruction has kept pace with our ability and at all times maintained a safe training environment.
Old 07-31-2014, 5:07 AM

Thanks for sharing kicker510. Very good to know.

I'm in San Leandro and have a tight work schedule. I would definitely take a serious interest in a one to one handgun instruction with Gary at the Davis Street Range.
Old 07-31-2014, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
Wife and I took another lesson recently with Gary. We came away with a great deal to work on to speed and refine our shooting, but the one that made the greatest impression was trigger prep both prior to the first shot and between shots. Gary is great at explaining and helping us visualize what he is looking for. I really liked the image of relaxing the trigger finger between shots and simply letting the spring do all the “work” of finding reset; this approach to "finding" reset is something that can really improve our trigger management and is easily practiced at home. Gary has a equally good approaches to handgun deployment from compressed ready and rapid target transition. Gary's instruction has kept pace with our ability and at all times maintained a safe training environment.
Out of curiosity, approximately how much were your sessions?
Old 08-06-2014, 8:02 AM

Just took an hour lesson with Gary last night and had to agree with all the positives others hav3 said. I'll definitely call him again next month.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:34 AM

I was at Davis St. a few weeks ago and Gary was there getting ready for a student. He came by to say hello and hung out with me for the next 30 minutes coaching /teaching me. The guy is a teaching machine ! He just can't help himself. Best resource in the East Bay IMO. Thanks Gary.
Old 12-03-2014, 7:27 PM

Based on the recommendations on this thread, I scheduled a session with Gary and was very pleased.

Gary is very knowledgeable and super enthusiastic. He clearly loves teaching and is very good at it.

Whether you are new to shooting or have been shooting for a long time and want to get better, I would definitely recommend a session with Gary. It's amazing how much you can learn in an hour.
Old 12-03-2014, 7:51 PM

What are his rates per hour?
Old 12-04-2014, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay View Post
What are his rates per hour?
$50/hr

He also has a website: http://www.obrienpistoltraining.com/
Old 12-04-2014, 7:11 PM

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2015, 5:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

thanks for the lead
Old 01-13-2015, 4:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Smile O'Brien Pistol Training- You will hard pressed to find a better instructor

Hello fellow Bay Area Cal Gunners. I have been a rifle enthusiast since I stated shooting 5 years ago. All of the training I have been through has only been with the carbine. Six months ago I decided that I really wanted to enter some level of competition. I purchased a Glock 34 and got to work. Well..trying to teach myself to be a confident, consistent pistol shooter did not work out as well as I hoped. Then I found Gary.

Gary is a consummate professional and a phenomenal instructor. I am 6 hours in with him at the range in Dublin and San Leandro. Even from the first lesson my speed and accuracy had improved tremendously. You will be hard pressed to find another instructor who as patient, safe and effective as Gary. The guy was born to be a teacher, no matter the subject.
Old 01-17-2015, 4:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Does he teach at USI as well?

A freak without instruction, is headed for self destruction!!!

Buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep!!

"Your government's the gangster, so cut the crap!!!" Chuck D.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:01 AM

I had taken the NRA First Steps program in the past. I knew I wanted to take a 1-on-1 class, but wanted to get as good as I could on my own from what I previously was taught.

One Sunday day I was at San Leandro outdoor range working on my trigger press and met Gary while he was waiting on a student. He was giving me pointers/tips for free, then left me with his card. I thought to myself, this guy is great, he gave me a mini lesson for free and it was easy to understand.

Last week I contacted Gary, and had my first real lesson with him this past Saturday. Before the class, I thought I was confident and consistent with my regular shooting. But Gary opened me up to a new level of shooting, he had me shooting left handed (2 hands), 1 handed right, 1 handed left, close compressed firing to extended firing.

That class really expanded my ideas on how I could be using my range time, rather than just my regular 2 handed grip.

It was awesome and just was what I was looking for in a class. He has a great sense of humor, was knowledgeable, safe, and really knows how to teach. Needless to say, I now plan on taking monthly classes with Gary.
Old 04-20-2015, 7:31 AM

Default Thanks Gary!

Fellow EastBay shooters,
Adding to the stockpile of positive accolades, I was referred to Gary by a close friend. Having recently purchased my first pistol (Beretta M9), I was advised that an even better investment would be in myself and to get the best training.

I've trained with Gary at Dublin and was blown away with how much I learned. Gary creates a very comfortable learning environment, is extremely intuitive on exactly how to teach and above all places safety first. We covered so many topics, way too many to list - and yet where I normally would say I was at mental overload, Gary was able to keep my head in the game and tailor his education to ensure I was still learning. Really felt like he took me under his wing and felt like he was personally invested in my learning, comfort and advancement in shooting skills. Really cannot say enough positive things.

Further, he has continued to follow up with links and additional study material that further enhance his teaching skill and my shooting development. He consistently goes the extra step and I was certainly not expecting that.

Whatever you're doing, if you want to improve, stop and go to www.obrienpistoltraining.com and get a session scheduled. Thank me later!
Old 06-03-2015, 6:12 PM

Default It's been a whole year! O'Brien Pistol Training.

I have been training with Gary for a year now and I have to say, this guy still amazes me. I had a class with him this last weekend and the and I felt like hugging this guy at the end. He is more than an instructor, he is my coach.
One of the great things about Gary is, he emails me links to videos such as, Dave Spaulding and Kyle Defoor. These videos not only backup what he teaches but, also work as a great way to remember what you had learned in class.
Big bonus, he gave me a free "O'Brien Pistol Training" t-shirt although, the SOB made me pay for the hat.
The prices for his class are competitive with the usual instructors but, you really are robbing Gary by the time you finish.
Bottom line - If you are a first time gun owner or just want to shoot much, much better, call Gary.
Old 06-23-2015, 8:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Beginner to shooting 492/500 and 490/500 at a Glock Shooting Sport Foundation Match

I wanted to update my previous review for Gary O'Brien Pistol Training. I came to Gary as a very novice pistol shooter wanting to improve my basic skills. After working with him for several months I took a break to shoot on my own and picked up some bad habits. I recently started to work with him again to clean up my skills.

Tonight I entered a Glock Shooting Sports Foundation Match. I came away shooting 492/500 for the production division and 490/500 for the open.

Thank you Gary!
Old 06-30-2015, 12:56 PM

I had a lesson with Gray. I knew my basics but I needed someone to tell me what my bad habits were. I originally only wanted to shoot to get my groupings tighter. Gray helped me with my trigger pull and also taught me how to shoot offhand and one handed. We went over an hour but he only charged me for the one. Great guy to learn from you're are beginner looking to get the bad habits out of your shooting.

I'll be able to bring these things to USPSA matches.

Thanks Gray.
Old 07-04-2015, 8:07 AM

On the strength of recommendations in this thread, I contacted Gary and we had our first session at San Leandro last week. We worked on grip, presentation, sight alignment, and trigger control. Even after just this first session, I feel like I've made a breakthrough in how I approach my time and training at the range. His coaching most definitely lives up to all the expectations set here and I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a systematic approach to improving their shooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2015, 12:57 PM

^Thank you for the feedback.

Thank God we have people like Gary O'Brien in the Bay Area. Truly an asset in the firearm community.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:28 PM

I wanted to add another to this thread, since it's a big reason I took a lesson with Gary at San Leandro. If I had to sum the lesson up in three words, they're: "That makes sense!". Gary's coaching and the reasons he gave for his suggestions were presented clearly, logically, and in a way that made me feel like I understood the "why" behind a technique.

Gary helped me improve my grip and stance; and gave me a good foundation to work on improving my speed and accuracy. I'll be taking another lesson with him as soon as I've had time to digest the overwhelming (but in a good way) new information, and practice it a few times at my own pace.
Old 08-22-2015, 1:50 PM

How many rounds should cover for an hour session? Definitely interested in his services based on the feedback from the folks here.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2015, 10:37 AM

Approximately 100 rds. Enjoy!
Old 11-28-2015, 9:14 PM

I had my first session with Gary two weeks ago. It was a great experience. I'll be going back for more.