Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > L.A. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 9:51 PM

Thumbs down LAX firing range, not planning on returning

I took Friday afternoon off and went shooting with a friend AR pistol, cobray clone and a glock. About an hour in I noticed some funny looks from the older employee but kept shooting some 15 mins later the loudpeaker announces a cease fire and a/the manager rudely tells my friend and I to pack up all of our belongings and get to the lobby, I politely ask him if there' s some kind of problem her starts cursing at me in front of the entire range. We end up in the lobby I'm concerned we were about to be accused of something serious like unsafe fire arm handling or something outright illegal. It turns out some one had been firing steel core ammo previously that day and the older employee claimed he saw us sneaking such ammo out of our pockets or some -utter nonsense-. The tone of the situation was somewhere between extremely insulting and threatening I kept asking if there was something else going on I was missing besides being accused shooting the wrong ammo. After showing them a few rounds still in my AR mags obviously new manufacture lead core and then a receipt for the ammo purchased from they themselves prior at a gunshow in november, their tone changes and they magically forget how insulting and rude they were to two customers that had broken no rules of their establishment.
I have nothing but respect for the elderly and if the old man made a mistake and thought he saw something that didn't happen I can forgive that but, the situation was handled in a way that was downright irresponsible. Beyond that management chose to act this way without investigating the situation for himself, had he simply tapped my friend or I on the shoulder and asked to see our ammo as they do at any other range I would gladly done so but, they chose to make a scene and do it as offensively as possible. In the end we were charged the full amount after being asked if we wanted to keep shooting for the afternoon. I respectfully told them no we would not like to continue shooting for the day and I would not be returning to their range any more.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:30 AM

I haven't been to LAX in a while. Is this guy new? I've never had a problem there other than the tall skinny younger dude trying to argue with me on how to pronounce "Fiocchi."
Old 05-04-2014, 7:28 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

There's been a few problem employees there. When the problem employees are not there, we have no issues.
Old 05-04-2014, 8:42 AM

I think i know who he's talking about, did he look hispanic
Old 05-04-2014, 8:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Old 05-04-2014, 9:28 AM

OP, Sorry to hear about your day getting ruined. That is unacceptable even if you did use the wrong ammo. They can politely ask and to refuse service to any one, but cursing the customer is unheard of. There are more than a few jack asses working at various local ranges. We see and hear about it all the time. What is amazing is that they all act like they are the know it all god's send and get away with it because guns are involved and no one wants to raise a fuss and call them on it.
Had it been another kind of an environment, any douche employees would have had their asses handed to them at the owner/manager's office for being disrespectful to costumers or just outright not being employee material.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Calguns Addict

I have had positive experiences at the range since they stopped using the lazy Susan to take in firearms.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:57 AM

That place is a dive. Stay away
Old 05-04-2014, 11:12 AM

There are so many threads from CGers that were not treated like royalty at some gun shop or range, and want everyone to jump on their bandwagon and sympathize with their abuse and trash the vendor.

This one sounds reasonable for a change.
Old 05-04-2014, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedog01 View Post
That place is a dive. Stay away

Totally untrue. It's way better than LA Gun Club, and even with their issues, it's still not a "dive."
Old 05-04-2014, 4:32 PM

Boycot the place! They are not worthy of your hard earned dollars.
Old 05-04-2014, 4:41 PM

Sounds like the ranges down here. You get treated like a criminal!!
Old 05-04-2014, 4:45 PM
CGN Contributor

Well........I think most of us can say we have had unpleasant experiences at our local range's as have myself at our local Private Club in Santa Barbara(Winchester Canyon Gun Club- just got back now from there actually) with my 15 year old son(who has been shooting since he was 8 and competes in local events) when a R.O. awhile ago was literally screaming at him for something he did not do and the R.O. was wrong and completely out of line. Now, being a very proud and protective father it took all my will to constrain myself. Of course because of the fantastic club that it is with the other R.O.s and Members being the best, we obviously still visit and train there frequently. The point I'm trying to make is that R.O.s are human too and unfortunately think given the authority over people with firearms comes great responsibility. Sadly many R.O.s have HUGE egos and cannot wait to exercise their role. Now, I have dealt directly with LAX owner Dan Kash regarding a very poor experience with an LAX employee and believe me, he cares deeply about his business and more importantly his clients. His response and communications were fast, efficient and acceptable enough for us to continue our relationship with them. I would reach out to him via their website-"contact us". Again, my apologies and wish you the best.
Old 05-04-2014, 4:46 PM
CGSSA Leader

Ive been there once and cs was below average...the guys either have no people skils or they are annoid when they actually ha e to do work...i like insight better even though lately their A/c has not been on...either they are saving on their energy costs or its on the fritz...it was hot last two times...
Old 05-04-2014, 4:46 PM

Who goes to shooting ranges any more!!!!!????

Courage is endurance for one moment more…
- Unknown USMC Lieutenant
Old 05-04-2014, 5:17 PM

Dude, I'm the manager of LAX Range and the person your referring too. First and foremost, your story is severely overstated in attempt to prove an unfounded point.

As I mentioned to you at the time of the incident, my concern is for the safety of the range and it's customers. As it was relayed to me, you were on lane 5. They was wolf brand brass scattered across the floor in your specific lane. You had an AR pistol on the table and there was damaged to the ceilings and baffles all along your lane. That was not the case when the lane was assigned to you.

As our Range Master walked the floor, he asked you if you were using ammo that we do not allow. You said no but then there was more of it afterwards. So at that point I personally called a cease fire so that I could safely have you pack up and come to the front counter to discuss it. You were addressed individually and no one else could hear what I was saying to you.

At the front counter, I explained to you my concern for the safety of the range & my patrons and somehow that didn't appear to register to you. After inspecting all of your ammo and discovering that you no longer had any prohibited ammunition, I did offer to allow you to stay but instead you declined.

So your coming here to vent or discourage people from coming to my range is your right but be sure to tell both sides of the story!
Old 05-04-2014, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTNDA View Post
Dude, I'm the manager of LAX Range and the person your referring too. First and foremost, your story is severely overstated in attempt to prove an unfounded point.

As I mentioned to you at the time of the incident, my concern is for the safety of the range and it's customers. As it was relayed to me, you were on lane 5. They was wolf brand brass scattered across the floor in your specific lane. You had an AR pistol on the table and there was damaged to the ceilings and baffles all along your lane. That was not the case when the lane was assigned to you.

As our Range Master walked the floor, he asked you if you were using ammo that we do not allow. You said no but then there was more of it afterwards. So at that point I personally called a cease fire so that I could safely have you pack up and come to the front counter to discuss it. You were addressed individually and no one else could hear what I was saying to you.

At the front counter, I explained to you my concern for the safety of the range & my patrons and somehow that didn't appear to register to you. After inspecting all of your ammo and discovering that you no longer had any prohibited ammunition, I did offer to allow you to stay but instead you declined.

So your coming here to vent or discourage people from coming to my range is your right but be sure to tell both sides of the story!
Wolf brass casings? If it was a .223 AR using Wolf Brass ammo, then it's not steel core--ever. (PS I'm not taking sides, just saying.....not all Wolf stuff is steel-core or bimetal jacket)

The materials and information contained above in this post are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by any interaction with the author of such materials and information.
Old 05-04-2014, 6:11 PM

Quote:

Props for not throwing insults instantly like Sac Black rifle.... (LOL)

However, unless your range is brand new... how would you be able to count the holes (there must be millions of em) in the walls. Ceilings are different.
I have not been to your range.. ( I have been to a very very few..)
But I would think that walking behind OP you would not be able to see much damage in the walls.

Courage is endurance for one moment more…
- Unknown USMC Lieutenant
Old 05-04-2014, 6:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repoman1984 View Post
I took Friday afternoon off and went shooting with a friend AR pistol, cobray clone and a glock. About an hour in I noticed some funny looks from the older employee but kept shooting some 15 mins later the loudpeaker announces a cease fire and a/the manager rudely tells my friend and I to pack up all of our belongings and get to the lobby, I politely ask him if there' s some kind of problem her starts cursing at me in front of the entire range. We end up in the lobby I'm concerned we were about to be accused of something serious like unsafe fire arm handling or something outright illegal. It turns out some one had been firing steel core ammo previously that day and the older employee claimed he saw us sneaking such ammo out of our pockets or some -utter nonsense-. The tone of the situation was somewhere between extremely insulting and threatening I kept asking if there was something else going on I was missing besides being accused shooting the wrong ammo. After showing them a few rounds still in my AR mags obviously new manufacture lead core and then a receipt for the ammo purchased from they themselves prior at a gunshow in november, their tone changes and they magically forget how insulting and rude they were to two customers that had broken no rules of their establishment.
I have nothing but respect for the elderly and if the old man made a mistake and thought he saw something that didn't happen I can forgive that but, the situation was handled in a way that was downright irresponsible. Beyond that management chose to act this way without investigating the situation for himself, had he simply tapped my friend or I on the shoulder and asked to see our ammo as they do at any other range I would gladly done so but, they chose to make a scene and do it as offensively as possible. In the end we were charged the full amount after being asked if we wanted to keep shooting for the afternoon. I respectfully told them no we would not like to continue shooting for the day and I would not be returning to their range any more.
I wouldn't have paid. F them.

If you don't like the price of something I am selling please feel free to move along... The market, not you, will determine what it's worth. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2014, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwhy View Post
Wolf brass casings? If it was a .223 AR using Wolf Brass ammo, then it's not steel core--ever. (PS I'm not taking sides, just saying.....not all Wolf stuff is steel-core or bimetal jacket)
True. The only wolf ammo we allow on the range is brass case. This stuff was not that.
Old 05-04-2014, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthetrojan View Post
Props for not throwing insults instantly like Sac Black rifle.... (LOL)

However, unless your range is brand new... how would you be able to count the holes (there must be millions of em) in the walls. Ceilings are different.
I have not been to your range.. ( I have been to a very very few..)
But I would think that walking behind OP you would not be able to see much damage in the walls.
Not walls. Damage linear directly along his lane. Very noticeable.
Old 05-04-2014, 6:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by repoman1984 View Post

I'm sorry but this sounds way out of character for Nolan, he's allways been profesional and courteous, even when dealing with knuckleheds.

I've been going to the LAX Range for years and will continue to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX22
Don't F with those guys... they can probably use their teabag to inflict blunt force trauma.

Old 05-04-2014, 6:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinoro2007 View Post
I wouldn't have paid. F them.
Really, so if you partake of services but then you feel slighted that makes you think you have the right to stiff the business? Classy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX22
Don't F with those guys... they can probably use their teabag to inflict blunt force trauma.

Old 05-04-2014, 7:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Hazard View Post
Really, so if you partake of services but then you feel slighted that makes you think you have the right to stiff the business? Classy.
If I was wrongly not able to enjoy the services that I am paying for, yes. It does sound like the op is lying however.

If you don't like the price of something I am selling please feel free to move along... The market, not you, will determine what it's worth. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2014, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
I have had positive experiences at the range since they stopped using the lazy Susan to take in firearms.
Is that done with? What do they do now?
Old 05-04-2014, 8:27 PM
CGSSA Associate

It says u discovered no more of the prohibited ammo? So you did wind up being able to prove his guilt? Also you have grammer mistakes. If you are the manager I suggest you fix them so your range looks a bit more classy. Innocent until proven guilty damn that is nice!!!
Old 05-04-2014, 8:29 PM
CGSSA Associate

Seventh line down and eleventh word in just in case you did not spot the grammar mistake in the "manager" statement.
Old 05-04-2014, 8:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsoemoemo View Post
It says u discovered no more of the prohibited ammo? So you did wind up being able to prove his guilt? Also you have grammer mistakes. If you are the manager I suggest you fix them so your range looks a bit more classy. Innocent until proven guilty damn that is nice!!!
grammar you mean?
Old 05-04-2014, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal Industries View Post
grammar you mean?
Old 05-04-2014, 9:24 PM
Veteran Member

first
then
followed by
Old 05-05-2014, 1:01 AM

Quote:

I'm going to assume we are talking about the same incident.

As far as anyone even approaching myself or my friend, on the firing line regarding ammo that never happened, just the same as the story of cartridges ever been placed or removed from any pockets. All due respect, these specific acts simply never occurred, I would strongly suggest you consider the source of these claims before acting on them.

As someone else previously mentioned I would assume everyone who has ever set foot in an indoor range has seen ceiling damage, more importantly if you are accusing us of even striking the ceiling once, this is news to me as it was not mentioned at all before or after this incident. Feel free to count out all the strikes in all the lanes I promise you I couldn't carry enough ammo to cause half the current damage in that establishment.

If your going to claim you did nothing insulting, didn't raise your voice or curse at us under what was later determined to be mistake on your end please make that clear right now, I can think of a couple of people that very clearly saw/heard this.

"no longer" had any prohibited ammo is grammatically incorrect "never had" is the phrase I would use.

I think someone else already said it in a world were people complain about ranges and stores not treating them like royalty or getting into pissing matches over petty things this was not such an incident. I purchased ammo from an establishment prior, used said ammo at that establishment even brought the receipt for purchase when I used it and I was treated like we had done something unsafe or illegal. There were 1000 ways to handle a situation like this, the fact that someone was ridiculously mistaken is forgivable how the situation was approached was 100% wrong. The anti 2A would be pleased to see a minor misunderstanding escalate the way it did, that day, it demeans us all.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:28 AM

I'm surprised this happened; surprised that management at LAX paid any attention to what goes on on the line. Last time my gf and I were at LAX we saw extremely dangerous gun handling repeatedly by the people next to us including muzzle flashing us several times with loaded weapons. Nobody from management at LAX said anything to these people. My gf and I left. Even though I live in El Segundo we drive to Sharpshooter because my gf is afraid to shoot at LAX anymore.

I don't expect to be treated like royalty. I just expect to shoot somewhere safe.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." -Thomas Jefferson
“Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.” -James Madison
Old 05-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

What a clusterf***

I've only had one problem with the range over misunderstanding with the monthly LAX shoots, not going to point fingers but I've had 80% good vibes from that establishment.

Old 05-05-2014, 1:07 PM
CGN Contributor

lax is horrible...

by the time your done waiting for a lane to free up from the hoards of gang bangers and "operators" you could of drove to angeles or blm...
Old 05-05-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleTap View Post
lax is horrible...

by the time your done waiting for a lane to free up from the hoards of gang bangers and "operators" you could of drove to angeles or blm...

I've never had to wait for a lane. Even at the largest monthly shoot we have had when there were over 20 Calgunners there plus normal customers, there was a lane open every five minutes.

Gangbangers? Really, dude? How do you know? Stereotype much? As for the "operators" what is it that you don't like about them? Are they being unsafe? If not, then how or why would or should they have any bearing on how you enjoy your range trip. If you just dislike them, that is your own personal problem and not their, the range's, or anyone else's.

Unless someone is being unsafe, you get out of it what you put in. That goes for any range, and anything really.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:03 PM

Last I heard you were only allowed frangible rounds when shooting an AR at lax

If not , I'm going this weekend
Old 05-06-2014, 11:00 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnybookz View Post
I've never had to wait for a lane. Even at the largest monthly shoot we have had when there were over 20 Calgunners there plus normal customers, there was a lane open every five minutes.

Gangbangers? Really, dude? How do you know? Stereotype much? As for the "operators" what is it that you don't like about them? Are they being unsafe? If not, then how or why would or should they have any bearing on how you enjoy your range trip. If you just dislike them, that is your own personal problem and not their, the range's, or anyone else's.

Unless someone is being unsafe, you get out of it what you put in. That goes for any range, and anything really.
Ya, I do stereotype because it's a way to simply explain what my eyes see.
I had a year membership there and saw enough. For instance: My "Last" visit, a guy next to me would scream after every shot... DIIID YOU SEE THAT ****!!!" while waving his rented gun around, mixing in profanity of every sort.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal-shooter View Post
Last I heard you were only allowed frangible rounds when shooting an AR at lax

If not , I'm going this weekend
Nope.

You can shoot non-magnetized.

Have fun!
Old 05-06-2014, 2:57 PM
Calgoon
CGN Contributor

Well a good group of us are still going next wednesday.
Some of us had issues with some RSO's. Most were resolved swiftly
Old 05-06-2014, 4:22 PM

Never had an issue in the 15 years I've been going there; Nolan was very helpful when I took my son shooting for the first time.