Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-06-2008, 4:21 PM

Default vote

cout me 3 for McCain
rangers lead the way
Old 11-07-2008, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcatter View Post
Ok, maybe just one, to wet the whistle...how about "Hemispherical" This bullet and loading procedures has years of Automotive research into it and actually bust many long held paradigms and is all new and different thinking and science..

Keep up with the voting reports, I'm going to need all your R&D input after you get your bullets and start to play with them.

Safety First..t
Heading up north deer hunting today. Will use the 450 w/factory loads for the frist one (not particular -- just can't have spots).
Old 11-07-2008, 2:58 PM

I voted and drug my brother down that was planing to not vote because "It wouldn't matter since McCain would obviously take AZ"
Old 11-09-2008, 10:12 AM

got a spike yesterday with the 450 just north of spokane
Old 11-11-2008, 6:24 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default AA1680 and 250gr Montana Gold

I'm still playing with these 250gr Montana Gold bullets. If I back the bullet .030" from the lands I get an OAL of 2.125". that leaves about .25" in the case and gives me a potential case capacity of 51grs. using AA1680. I've loaded up a spread of these starting at 45grs. and going up to 51grs.

You can see by the deformed bullet that I'm giving them a good crimp, .470" dia. at the neck. Even with this, the inertia of chambering a round will move the bullet forward.

I've also done some with an AOL of 2.02". This puts the case mouth into the cannular (sp). These have a case capacity of 46.1grs. of AA1680. The bullet still moves forward a bit when chambered, but not much.

I plan on making it to the range this week. I'll report back with results.
Old 11-18-2008, 4:15 PM

Location: In the Thumb of Michigan, out in the middle of Deer Central Station!!

Check out this Hornady Cartridge Board, read the description, we made it, because the 450 is a SAMMI SPEC (A.K.A. FACTORY AMMUNITION), as opposed to the other AR big bores that are still, by definition, mere wildcats..

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0062184216604a.shtml

Safety First..t
Old 11-18-2008, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash2 View Post
I'm still playing with these 250gr Montana Gold bullets. If I back the bullet .030" from the lands I get an OAL of 2.125". that leaves about .25" in the case and gives me a potential case capacity of 51grs. using AA1680. I've loaded up a spread of these starting at 45grs. and going up to 51grs.

You can see by the deformed bullet that I'm giving them a good crimp, .470" dia. at the neck. Even with this, the inertia of chambering a round will move the bullet forward.

I've also done some with an AOL of 2.02". This puts the case mouth into the cannular (sp). These have a case capacity of 46.1grs. of AA1680. The bullet still moves forward a bit when chambered, but not much.

I plan on making it to the range this week. I'll report back with results.
I purchased a Lee 45-70 factory crimp die. Since the 450 is 0.40 inches shorter, I used a part of my .452 Lee Sizer stem to allow the 450 case to enter the die so it could be crimped. I had to add spacers around the post so the case went into the die.This type of crimp seems to hold better, but the bullet still can move due to inertia. I would send pics, but for some reason beyond me I am not able to post attachments!!!????
Old 11-19-2008, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Check out this Hornady Cartridge Board, read the description, we made it, because the 450 is a SAMMI SPEC (A.K.A. FACTORY AMMUNITION), as opposed to the other AR big bores that are still, by definition, mere wildcats..

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0062184216604a.shtml

Safety First..t

P.S... This the Oct issue of GUNS MAGAZINE, without the pretty pictures. BTW..If you see articles printed somewhere let all of us know, some of these can have a wealth of load data or just plane interesting..t http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=artBody;col1
Old 11-19-2008, 6:53 AM

Quote:
the bullet .030" from the lands I get an OAL of 2.125". that leaves about .25" in the case and gives me a potential case capacity of 51grs. using AA1680. I've loaded up a spread of these starting at 45grs. and going up to 51grs.

Range results:

46grs- 2121, 2103, 2063 fps
47grs- 2127, 2102, 2111 fps
48grs- 2153, 2158, 2085 fps
49grs- 2093, 2125, 2065 fps
50grs- 2103, 2121, 2149 fps
51grs- 2168, 2160, 2162 fps

The 47gr load gave the best group - .5" @100yds, the rest were around 2''.

Quote:
I also did some with an AOL of 2.02". This puts the case mouth into the cannular (sp). These have a case capacity of 46.1grs. of AA1680. The bullet still moves forward a bit when chambered, but not much.

With these the velocity was 2008, 2011 and 1979 fps. with about a 4" group.

As you can see, the velocities didn't change much, if any, with increased powder charges, but the fireball coming out of the end of the barrel did! There were NO signs pressure, so I didn't bother taking any pictures of the cases. The cases were sooty though, so I guess they weren't generating enough pressure to seal against the chamber wall. At 48 grs and above the bolt would not lock back.

I'm assuming that all of this means that the charge was maxed out at 46 grs and any additional powder was just burning up in front of the gun. Is this a correct assumption to make?

What needs to happen at this point? Magnum primers? Increased crimp? heavier bullets? Back to H110 or Lil' gun?
Old 11-19-2008, 9:38 AM

I guess my take on this is the SR Primer can not efficiently light that much powder. May be why Hornady used that so the round can not be hotrodded to much -- I may be wrong. Another part of the puzzle is the bullets (Montanta) measure .4505. I do not know what charge would be needed to "bump" the bullet into full barrel diameter (.452), but maybe a faster powder would work better. I have some loaded up with 38 grs of Lilgun', but have not gotten to the range yet due to hunting. I will do that over Thanksgiving. In my testing I have noticed that as the powder charge increases with some loads, the cases are not ejected as far -- maybe meaning the pressure has dropped due to an inefficient burn.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siringo View Post
I guess my take on this is the SR Primer can not efficiently light that much powder. May be why Hornady used that so the round can not be hotrodded to much -- I may be wrong. Another part of the puzzle is the bullets (Montanta) measure .4505. I do not know what charge would be needed to "bump" the bullet into full barrel diameter (.452), but maybe a faster powder would work better. I have some loaded up with 38 grs of Lilgun', but have not gotten to the range yet due to hunting. I will do that over Thanksgiving. In my testing I have noticed that as the powder charge increases with some loads, the cases are not ejected as far -- maybe meaning the pressure has dropped due to an inefficient burn.
I also just received a Lee 45-70 side crimp die, my hopes being that by increasing the crimp pressure down from the case mouth the bullet pull will increase thus increasing the powder burn.

I have modified the die so that the crimp begins .150" down from the case mouth, so now I am crimping at the case mouth with the 450 factory crimp and also .150" to .250" down from the case mouth. (the crimping area is .1" long on the lee die) Now I'll be crimping the bullet near it's base too. Hopefully this will increase burn and pressure.
Old 11-20-2008, 4:25 AM

Default To sell or not to sell

Hello everyone;I have a question ,and need your opinion.I have a Colt m4,and a Panther SASS 308 I have been thinking about selling them,I like the 450 more,and have too many hobbies.Problem is,I don't know if I would ever be able,financially or legally,to buy these at a later time.
My real concern is there is no telling what the demmecrats might do,and I would hate to loose my investment,as I am sure you all would.
Any way,I would appreciate your input,and advice.Best regards,Dave
Old 11-20-2008, 9:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Hello everyone;I have a question ,and need your opinion.I have a Colt m4,and a Panther SASS 308 I have been thinking about selling them,I like the 450 more,and have too many hobbies.Problem is,I don't know if I would ever be able,financially or legally,to buy these at a later time.
My real concern is there is no telling what the demmecrats might do,and I would hate to loose my investment,as I am sure you all would.
Any way,I would appreciate your input,and advice.Best regards,Dave
Keep them.
We all go through phases.
If you sell them, you will kick yourself later.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 11-20-2008, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Keep them.
Absolutely...I sold an original 1911 once, out of my personal stash and have regretted it ever since. Those smoke poles of yours don't eat nut'en, so just keep'em, get more. These gun control nuts can't make laws without holes in them, to the point we can always do something to get what we want, even if, they wanted to come and pick them up. Which isn't possible without a fight and there isn't a police dept anywhere that is dumb enough to do that or would, the rank and file would just say "NO" and then join resistance!

I feel better now, the meds are kicking in...

Now then 'ol Mountain Man, Just what do we have to do to get you shooting a brand spanking new, shiney, 450 Bushmaster?

I'll buy your first batch of cookies, made with .4515" dia., chocolate chips!!! Anybody second that?

Safety First..t
Old 11-20-2008, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Keep them.

+1

I have only sold 5 guns in my life and regret all but 2
Old 11-21-2008, 4:17 AM

Talking Thanks guys

Thanks you all for your input.I ,too,have regretted selling a gun afterward,mostly an antique.I have a 450 bushy,and have really enjoyed the amount of research y'all are layin' down.So far to date,my best results have been with the Lil Gun,but I have loaded some with 3031,just haven't had any range time.
I hope you are right about our brothers and sisters in the law enforcement community standing with us on the confiscation thing.It is them varmints in the little blue hats {the U N ] that concern me.
Have a good'n and thanks
Dave
Old 11-21-2008, 6:49 AM

Default side crimp

I've set up my side crimper for the 275 gr Barnes bullet with a 2.25" AOL. I've got it crimping .190" down from the case mouth. This catches the bottom cannelure but not much of the base of the bullet, that's the widest part on the these and I didn't want to mess with the sealing of the bullet in the barrel.

you can see this deforms the bullet a fair amount.

Without the side crimp it only takes one good whack with the inertia puller to move or dislodge the bullet. With the side crimp it takes 3 good whacks to dislodge it.

I'll let you know how this effects the ballistics next time I make it to the range.
Old 11-21-2008, 9:58 AM

Wink

Quote:
I've set up my side crimper for the 275 gr Barnes bullet with a 2.25" AOL. I've got it crimping .190" down from the case mouth. This catches the bottom cannelure but not much of the base of the bullet, that's the widest part on the these and I didn't want to mess with the sealing of the bullet in the barrel.

Without the side crimp it only takes one good whack with the inertia puller to move or dislodge the bullet. With the side crimp it takes 3 good whacks to dislodge it.

I'll let you know how this effects the ballistics next time I make it to the range.
Now you're getting it. Nice, and detailed pics too! My side crimp ideas needs may need a little tweaking. Beings you have the where for all to machine a "Lee Factory Crimp Die" it looks like the crimping from top to bottom is wide. Take the floating sleeve out and make the crimp narrower, to better enter the crimping groove in the bullet, this will make for even a better crimp, like maybe 5/6 whacks. Looks like the crimp is a little heavy too, but you might better wait and see, I've seen worst and they had prefect accuracy. Now this is for, if you really want to tweak, because all things, just might be wonderful the way you've go it now and it might be better if you tried it out, then if all goes south, then tweak, but for sure you are on the right track. I've used this method for many long years, and this side crimp is used on Cannon shells now. Something else to look for, you guys are starting to get into some real performance and you are going to lite-up the week of heart, hand ringers, and scare the Pigs, Deer, and Moose to death. The intermediate gas block, with the carbine length gas tube, will eventually need to be by-passed and a rifle length gas tube (10/15 $bucks) installed, to the front sight gas block. Of course a Pig tail Gas tube (way easier but 70/80 $bucks) could be used in the original gas block. You'll know if when shooting single shots, with the magazine in the weapon (which you should have already been doing) and the bolt wont any longer stay open after the shot. That will be, because the case is still sealed into the chamber and the bolt is trying to open, you also may see extractor marks in the case extractor grove. Before when you guys were doing the single loading with the magazine in, you where short stroking, because of not enough pressure. Soon you'll see the bolt not opening, not because of too much pressure, but because of to Soon, the pressure, hence needing the longer gas tube. Not to worry though, we've got good and cheap, easy to do fixes for that. It'll be like wanting to install a blower on your already super fast Vette, she'll go much faster now!! But as always, watch for excessive pressures, all the way through this process. That 275 Barnes is going to be a real Barn(s) Burner..

Safety First..t

Last edited by Wildcatter; 11-21-2008 at 10:30 AM..
Old 11-21-2008, 3:47 PM

Quote:

I like the way that looks i will be getting a lee side crimp die soon. I can not wait for you to test those rounds.

What powder did you use on those reloads? Im going to try the h110. I have 200 of those 275gar barns.
Old 11-21-2008, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagermaster View Post
I like the way that looks i will be getting a lee side crimp die soon. I can not wait for you to test those rounds.

What powder did you use on those reloads? Im going to try the h110. I have 200 of those 275gar barns.
I had some of the 275gr that were already loaded with 34.5grs. of Lil' gun, I've fired that load and know it to have a velocity of 2050 fps with no pressure signs, so I crimped some of them so I could compare them to the known quantity.

I've also done the same with some 200gr and 250gr Barnes rounds that I had loaded.

If all seems to be okay I will then test a spread of AA1680 and the 275gr bullets that I've prepared.

If you don't hear back from me within a week you'll know it didn't go very well.....
Old 11-23-2008, 8:57 AM

Quote:
I had some of the 275gr that were already loaded with 34.5grs. of Lil' gun, I've fired that load and know it to have a velocity of 2050 fps with no pressure signs, so I crimped some of them so I could compare them to the known quantity.

I've also done the same with some 200gr and 250gr Barnes rounds that I had loaded.

If all seems to be okay I will then test a spread of AA1680 and the 275gr bullets that I've prepared.

If you don't hear back from me within a week you'll know it didn't go very well.....
That looks like a lot of deformation. Have you measured any dimensional changes? Do the rounds chamber easily?
Old 11-23-2008, 9:23 AM

Quote:

I also purchased the Lee Factory crimp die for the 45-70. I also an using a post from my .452 Lee Bullet Sizing kit to insert the cartridge into the crimping die, because the 450 is .4 inches shorter than the 45-70. Using spacers on the post, I can regulate how far the cartridge enters the die before the crimping occurs. I have it set so I can put a factory style crimp on the case mouth at the crimp groove. The crimp is pretty close to the width of the crimp groove. The OD of the crimp is .470 inches. OD behind the crimp is.477 inches. These diminsions are with the 250 gr. Montana bullet. This crimp holds the bullet more securely than the taper crimp, mostly because the bullets at .4505 rather than .452.
Old 11-23-2008, 6:25 PM

Quote:
I also purchased the Lee Factory crimp die for the 45-70. I also an using a post from my .452 Lee Bullet Sizing kit to insert the cartridge into the crimping die, because the 450 is .4 inches shorter than the 45-70. Using spacers on the post, I can regulate how far the cartridge enters the die before the crimping occurs. I have it set so I can put a factory style crimp on the case mouth at the crimp groove. The crimp is pretty close to the width of the crimp groove. The OD of the crimp is .470 inches. OD behind the crimp is.477 inches. These diminsions are with the 250 gr. Montana bullet. This crimp holds the bullet more securely than the taper crimp, mostly because the bullets at .4505 rather than .452.
All this will work and is very effective, but be careful of putting a lee factory crimp at the mouth of the cartridge, you could put too much on, causing the case mouth to miss the chamber end and thus giving excessive head space and its potential dangers. The side crimp down the side of the case is far and away safer and easy to do, not to say that crimping at the case mouth isn't safe, just be aware and be careful. Measure the case crimp and then double check with the thunk test..

Safety First..t
Old 11-23-2008, 6:57 PM

Never having reloaded straight wall stuff before I'm a little confused about this crimp situation.

The Hornady dies have a crimp built into the bullet seating die, but it also came with what I believe is another seperate crimp die that I'm not sure about.
Old 11-23-2008, 7:32 PM

Quote:
All this will work and is very effective, but be careful of putting a lee factory crimp at the mouth of the cartridge, you could put too much on, causing the case mouth to miss the chamber end and thus giving excessive head space and its potential dangers. The side crimp down the side of the case is far and away safer and easy to do, not to say that crimping at the case mouth isn't safe, just be aware and be careful. Measure the case crimp and then double check with the thunk test..

Safety First..t
I understand and watch that. I don't over do it. BTW, do you happen to know what the minimum dimension would be for the case mouth? I remember posts saying the crimp on factory was around .472.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:09 AM

Default 2nd crimp and range results

I reconfigured the crimp so that it only crimped into the cannelure. This is a 200gr Barnes bullet that has been crimped and pulled. 2 strong whacks with the puller to get it out. All rounds feed flawlessly.

I'll post the actual numbers from my last range visit later, but here's the short version.

The crimp increased the velocity by about 100fps and improved the accuracy, these 200gr bullets were giving me ragged holes at 100yds.

The 275gr bullets with 42.8grs of Lil'Gun also improved. Running around 2070fps and 1.5" groups.

The spread I loaded with AA1680 was a major surprise with the velocities running a little over 1600fps to 1800fps, the last 3 loaded to 100% case capacity.

No signs of pressure on any of the loads.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I reconfigured the crimp so that it only crimped into the cannelure. This is a 200gr Barnes bullet that has been crimped and pulled. 2 strong whacks with the puller to get it out. All rounds feed flawlessly.

I'll post the actual numbers from my last range visit later, but here's the short version.

The crimp increased the velocity by about 100fps and improved the accuracy, these 200gr bullets were giving me ragged holes at 100yds.

The 275gr bullets with 42.8grs of Lil'Gun also improved. Running around 2070fps and 1.5" groups.

The spread I loaded with AA1680 was a major surprise with the velocities running a little over 1600fps to 1800fps, the last 3 loaded to 100% case capacity.

How fast were the 200's going?
Old 11-24-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I'm not by my notes, but I think it was around 2600fps.
Old 11-24-2008, 4:18 PM

Quote:
200gr Barnes 42.8grs Lil' gun no secondary crimp 2414fps, light crimp 2475fps, heavy crimp 2564fps.

275gr Barnes 34,5grs Lil' gun no secondary crimp 2050fps, light crimp 2093fps, heavy crimp 2128 fps.

275gr Barnes 39.2grs AA1680 heavy crimp 1708fps.

40.1grs AA1680 heavy crimp 1749fps

41.2grs AA1680 heavy crimp 1811fps (100% case capacity)
Old 11-24-2008, 7:48 PM

Quote:
200gr Barnes 42.8grs Lil' gun no secondary crimp 2414fps, light crimp 2475fps, heavy crimp 2564fps.

275gr Barnes 34,5grs Lil' gun no secondary crimp 2050fps, light crimp 2093fps, heavy crimp 2128 fps.

275gr Barnes 39.2grs AA1680 heavy crimp 1708fps.

40.1grs AA1680 heavy crimp 1749fps

41.2grs AA1680 heavy crimp 1811fps (100% case capacity)
Lil'gun seems to be the best powder when used with SR primers. I wonder if anyone has experimented with SR Mag primers?
Old 11-24-2008, 8:03 PM

Quote:

That crimp looks so much better and two strong whacks means "NO" bullet travel in feeding or during recoil. I noticed that the groups did not suffer, one little bit! How was extraction with the MAX "NO PRESSURE" loads? I assume you were single feeding the cartridges with the mag in, so did the bolt hold open after the shot as advertised, meaning, was the action working as normal?

Safety First..t
Old 11-24-2008, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Lil'gun seems to be the best powder when used with SR primers. I wonder if anyone has experimented with SR Mag primers?
Yes, and the mag primers ignite 1680 much better, for all loads, Mag Primers are the only ones I'll use, of course, if bench rest competition is the goal then maybe something else would be better. I want ignition at 90 below zero is my motto, as I sit here in Michigan watching a winter storm all day long, hunting in near white-outs, as we did today, tends to put a different prospective on things, but I digress. As 269/H110 (yep their data is interchangeable) is a little slower than lil gun, the speeds should run higher. AA1680 and fed-215 mag primers, which are hotter than any other mag primer, was the power of choice in the 45 Professional. Although we do have some limitations here, as the pro was .071 longer it has more case capacity and the 450b can't take a large rifle primer. So, use sr mag primers and have a go at it. I'm sure that lil gun is just a bit fast, but if you've got a ton of it, then better to us it at some time or other. You've got a ways to go yet, because that two hundred grainer should start to approach 3000fps + or - some, in my mind, just watch the pressure signs.

Safety First..t

Last edited by Wildcatter; 11-24-2008 at 8:35 PM..
Old 11-25-2008, 4:15 AM

Quote:
That crimp looks so much better and two strong whacks means "NO" bullet travel in feeding or during recoil. I noticed that the groups did not suffer, one little bit! How was extraction with the MAX "NO PRESSURE" loads? I assume you were single feeding the cartridges with the mag in, so did the bolt hold open after the shot as advertised, meaning, was the action working as normal?

Safety First..t
Yup, single feeding the cartridges with the mag in, and the bolt held open each and every time.

Also, considering the crowd pleasing fire ball that comes out of the end of the barrel with the AA1680 powder, and the low velocities, I'd have to agree that the small rifle primers are not igniting that powder completely in the gun.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:

I found the lee factory crimp die you all are using but what is the post or the spacers you all are using to make it work with the 450?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=747243
Old 11-29-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
If there was enough interest, I would purchase the reamer and headspace gauges to be able to make some chamber gauges for you guys.
I need to know that all the tooling costs are covered before I would commit to ordering the tooling though.
How many gauges at what price would justify the cost of tooling for you?

Last edited by jagermaster; 11-29-2008 at 10:45 AM..
Old 11-29-2008, 1:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
How many gauges at what price would justify the cost of tooling for you?
I figure 6 gauges at $40 a piece ought to cover it.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 11-29-2008, 8:09 PM

Quote:
I found the lee factory crimp die you all are using but what is the post or the spacers you all are using to make it work with the 450?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=747243
I had purchased a Lee cast bullet sizing die (.452) that comes with the die and a post that is used to push the bullet through the die. This post goes into the ram on the loading press. I used that to position the cartridge within the crimp die. I used washers of varing thicknesses to control have far the bullet enters the crimp die. Also, you can use the .452 sizer to resize 45-70 bullets from .458 to .452! Dies is very inexpensive.
Old 11-30-2008, 2:26 PM

Ammo is certainly hard to find. Cabela's is out every time I look and the only place I've found to have it consitantely is Midway USA. Will be looking forward to the new charts on it.
Old 12-01-2008, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7222 Hawker View Post
Ammo is certainly hard to find. Cabala's is out every time I look and the only place I've found to have it consistently is Midway USA. Will be looking forward to the new charts on it.
Hi ya doing Hawker, catch any chickens lately, the Hawks around here just loves the chickens they do..wink. Can't be too hard if you always find some at midway. I saw six boxes ($29.95 - and run of the mill 30-06 stuff is $34.95 and premium 325wsm $69.95) at the local Gander Mountain tonight. The truth is, the 450b is so hot, the various outlets are having a fit keeping it their pipeline. You guys just keep burning it up, amain that? Hey, keep it up! I was told by Peter Pi of Corbon, that they did a million rds, in the last year, of the 458 socom and how many years have they been loading that wildcat cartridge ( Yep, if'n it ain't SAAMI, it is a wildcat and I don't care how many outfits are loading or selling it..), bunches I tell ya? Ammo for the 450 Bushmaster has only been out, something slightly over a year (came out late Oct 07), and they have already produced something more than 2 million rds and are in the process of rolling some up as I write. Truth is, you may have to search the net, but, the good news is, it is all over the net. And next year, Hornady is coming out with the bullets and brass, YEAH!!

Safety First..t
Old 12-04-2008, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
Never having reloaded straight wall stuff before I'm a little confused about this crimp situation.

The Hornady dies have a crimp built into the bullet seating die, but it also came with what I believe is another seperate crimp die that I'm not sure about.

OK, this kind of answers my question, but not really.

The description of the 4th die from midway.

Quote:
The fourth die is a separate crimp die and is intended for a deep crimp which may be required with heavy cast bullet loads.