Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Finally put the money down for a scope that cost more than my rifle...

I was tired of the sub-par glass on my HBAR target AR, so I got a mil-dot...
Nightforce NXS Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3.5-15x 50mm Hi-Speed Side Focus Illuminated Reticle Matte

Probably overkill on this rifle, but I can always graduate it on to something better in the future. Maybe a precision build some day.
Looking forward to getting it together and to the range.
Buy one, cry once...
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 04-03-2014, 11:09 PM

Nice so how much did it set you back buddy?

FOR SALE ! STREAMLIGHT TLR-1 HP W/ REMOTE SWITCH & MAGPUL STOCK & KYDEX SIG P228 / P229 HOLSTER : CLICK HERE ! : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8#post18089758
Old 04-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Scope, NF rings and caps: $1350 deal
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 04-03-2014, 11:34 PM
Calguns Addict

I subscribe to the same ideal... money goes into optics first... then the rifle.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 04-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
I subscribe to the same ideal... money goes into optics first... then the rifle.
I'm the opposite. Every time I've got enough money for optics, I see another rifle that I need.

I did finally order a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10 MRAD for my M1A. That was at the same time the VEPR 12 went on sale for $799 at Atlantic. Dammit!

Nice glass OP.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:51 PM

Noob question, but what exactly are you getting with a more expensive rifle scope? I don't own any scopes, so just curious.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Distortion-free clarity, resolution, contrast...
This NF is replacing a Millet 4-16x TRS-1, so it's a major upgrade.

Old 04-04-2014, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip View Post
Distortion-free clarity, resolution, contrast...
This NF is replacing a Millet 4-16x TRS-1, so it's a major upgrade.
The main reasons, adding to the above, is the brightness at max powers and the tracking. Without solid repeatable dependable tracking, many cheaper scope are unless if you plan to dial your dope at longer ranges. Many people get tactical turrets but don't use them other than to set zero or even box test them. So one of the most important features of high $ scopes goes unused.

Btw most scopes look fine at low power and very, very short distances under 200M... I have a Millet 4-16x TRS on my PCP (airgun) and at low power it looks like several of my other scopes that run over 3K...

Jt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-04-2014, 2:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Grats OP, that's a nice upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
I'm the same way, but you already know that.

How is that Vortex Razor working out for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
I'm the opposite. Every time I've got enough money for optics, I see another rifle that I need.

I did finally order a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10 MRAD for my M1A. That was at the same time the VEPR 12 went on sale for $799 at Atlantic. Dammit!

Nice glass OP.
Good choice on the scope, I like that one.

I'm the opposite. I have a few good rifles and I tend to buy optics that interest me and/or fill an application I need or have a gap in... I found multiple optics for the same rifle a very good way to completely change its usage/application.

I tend to get more mileage out of my existing rifles by buying more scopes, plus I look at optics as a really solid investment.

That said I could use an extra rifle or two to attach to my scopes.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

You will like the Nightforce. I have 2 of their scopes on 50BMG rifles.
People who have never used one often cannot understand why they cost so much.
People who do use one will understand
Old 04-04-2014, 12:02 PM

nice price, where from?
Old 04-04-2014, 12:12 PM

I bought a used leupold for $150. Works *****en, glass is super clear. Ill stick to that over 1500 scope any day. Im not trying to snipe anything a mile out.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I was tired of the sub-par glass on my HBAR target AR, so I got a mil-dot...
Nightforce NXS Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3.5-15x 50mm Hi-Speed Side Focus Illuminated Reticle Matte

Probably overkill on this rifle, but I can always graduate it on to something better in the future. Maybe a precision build some day.
Looking forward to getting it together and to the range.
Buy one, cry once...

Nice choice, I have the NF 2.5-10 NXS on my 308 but was thinking of upgrading to more magnification like yours. Just debating the size difference versus the need for more power. I like the NXS compact but 15x would be nice as well.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmybacon43 View Post
Noob question, but what exactly are you getting with a more expensive rifle scope? I don't own any scopes, so just curious.
Some race car drivers race modified civics. Some start with corvettes, Miata, and exotics. Some race car drivers win with civics. Some win with their exotics. Some people lose in both categories.

But the people who lose when driving an exotic are always 100% confident that the reason they lost was not the car.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
Some race car drivers race modified civics. Some start with corvettes, Miata, and exotics. Some race car drivers win with civics. Some win with their exotics. Some people lose in both categories.

But the people who lose when driving an exotic are always 100% confident that the reason they lost was not the car.
I like that analogy

Removing equipment variables is a big thing, and having confidence in the hardware goes a long way. I know if I missed a shot it was not my scope, rifle, or load. At that point I have nothing to blame expect myself. It also seems to expedite the learning curve when the equipment is consistent and reliable.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 04-04-2014 at 12:39 PM..
Old 04-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Calguns Addict

for the record, my guns wear modified civics

And my eyes are absolutely open regarding this.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
for the record, my guns wear modified civics

And my eyes are absolutely open regarding this.
So are mine... but I got it tuned up pretty good.

Gotta learn to drive before jumping into a seat of an exotic.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kielbasavw View Post
I bought a used leupold for $150. Works *****en, glass is super clear. Ill stick to that over 1500 scope any day. Im not trying to snipe anything a mile out.
That’s great, but everything has an application… There are applications where you need a scope like this, and there are applications that don’t.

I’m guessing you don’t ride the turrets to dial in a firing solution? If that’s correct a scope like this may not get fully utilized.

I’ve had some very humble beginnings with scopes when I first got into shooting, but after I took the time to learn how to use a scope like this, wrap my head around ballistics, and learning how to correctly generate a firing solution, scopes like this become extremely valuable tools. I couldn’t imagine going back to where I started.
Old 04-04-2014, 1:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
I Removing equipment variables is a big thing, and having confidence in the hardware goes a long way. I know if I missed a shot it was not my scope, rifle, or load. At that point I have nothing to blame expect myself. It also seems to expedite the learning curve when the equipment is consistent and reliable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
Gotta learn to drive before jumping into a seat of an exotic.
you do realize these are conflicting?
Old 04-04-2014, 1:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Depends on what you consider an exotic

My Rem 700 took me a long way before needing something like a custom build, AI Rifle, Sako TRG whatever...

Even running a $500 rifle (civic), didn't stop me from bolting on suspension (optic) that cost more than the car.

I learned on that platform, and with some solid hand loading the variables were removed.
Old 04-04-2014, 1:28 PM

Question Wowzers!

Quote:
Scope, NF rings and caps: $1350 deal
Wowzers that is a great deal was that new or used ?!

FOR SALE ! STREAMLIGHT TLR-1 HP W/ REMOTE SWITCH & MAGPUL STOCK & KYDEX SIG P228 / P229 HOLSTER : CLICK HERE ! : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8#post18089758
Old 04-04-2014, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatersLOVEme : ) View Post
Wowzers that is a great deal was that new or used ?!
probably used.
Old 04-04-2014, 3:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamettt View Post
probably used.
Nope, new. But it was a private sale and he owed me a solid. I was looking at getting a Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 2.5-8x36mm (30mm) M1 Illum. Mil Dot, but this was just a couple bucks more, the range of 3.5-15x on the NF gave me a lot more flexibility and the 50mm objective would be awesome in low-light.

I like the analogies presented here, and I feel like I learned a lot with the Millet in regard to the basics. But until I get a true long-range precision rifle and am shooting beyond 600 yards (my AR ain't it), I probably won't reach anything near the potential on the NF scope. That said, the NF was a great deal and it's an optic I can absolutely grow into.

BTW, this purchase came after upgrading the trigger (Timney), freefloating the barrel and working up my handloads for this rifle. So this was the most expensive (and last) step short of the range time necessary to make it all work.

Last edited by Full Clip; 04-04-2014 at 3:35 PM..
Old 04-04-2014, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmybacon43 View Post
Bragging rights....
Old 04-04-2014, 4:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Bragging rights....
Probably.

Old 04-04-2014, 8:25 PM
Calguns Addict

OP, I haven't used one but have looked thru several. Amazing optics, you'll love it. Hard to hit what you cannot see, you'll see everything!!!
Old 04-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Calguns Addict

I have quite a number of Leupold scopes and they are just fine for me on hunting rifles. They have a duplex reticle and non-AO for big game hunting. The K.I.S.S. principle for hunting scopes. My varmint rifles have finer reticles and usually a AO lens. The brand can be other than Leupold.
The 50bmg rifles have Nightforce NXS 5.5X22X56 NP-R2 scopes and the difference is very important when you start shooting long range. Those rifles have been shot out to 1400+ yards.
People who cannot tell the difference between good scopes and poorer quality ones may never be able to tell the difference or benefit from a better scope.
Some tell me how great their scope is and then look thru my Nightforce or even one of my leupold scope are amazed at the difference. Some still cannot, or will not, see the difference. To each his own.
Bragging rights has nothing to do with it.
Yes sometimes it is overkill for a given rifle or use. However better overkill than have a scopes that fails you at an important time.
Old 04-05-2014, 6:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, this is certainly overkill on my .223 AR, but I figure this scope future proofs me optics-wise for a long while.

Old 04-05-2014, 7:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Bragging rights....
Uh no.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 04-05-2014, 8:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well, this is certainly overkill on my .223 AR, but I figure this scope future proofs me optics-wise for a long while.
Heck no. If you can afford great glass, do it. Solid choice in the NXS.
Old 04-08-2014, 9:26 AM
CGSSA Leader

Good glass ain't cheap, good glass can't be beat!
Old 05-04-2014, 4:55 PM
Calguns Addict

My HBAR set up with the fancy new glass... Ended up with the NF Unimount setup to clear objective over rail.

Now, to the range.
Oh, and Timney, TangoDown, Streamlight and Dueck Defense...

Old 05-05-2014, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kielbasavw View Post
Different strokes for different folks. The mission dictate the gear.
Nikita Khrushchev said"We can't expect the American People to jump from Capitalism to Communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving them small doses of Socialism, until they awaken one day to find that they have Communism. "
Old 05-05-2014, 4:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
There's nothing "exotic" about NF scopes. Now the S&B PMII's, hensoldt, US Optics, some of the Zeiss models, maybe some Steiner, etc. is when you really start getting up there in cost. I'd say this might qualify as "exotic"
http://www.eurooptic.com/carl-zeiss-...iflescope.aspx

But even still, you've got people that buy NV and thermal optics for 2-10 grand... not like many are using them very often(although some might). Even on top of that you've got people who buy themselves a dbal just because.
Quote:
Bragging rights....
Bragging rights by having a $1350 scope? No.

Last edited by Merc1138; 05-05-2014 at 4:52 PM..
Old 05-05-2014, 5:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
Bragging rights by having a $1350 scope? No.
If I really wanted some I would have put up for Steiner, just to match my Predator binos, natch. But I didn't have the extra $1K laying around.
NF really isn't much more expensive/or as expensive as some of the Leupold offerings. The only dif is that NF doesn't make products for the lower end of the market, thusly they appear far more high-end than they are.

Old 05-05-2014, 5:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If I really wanted some I would have put up for Steiner, just to match my Predator binos, natch. But I didn't have the extra $1K laying around.
NF really isn't much more expensive/or as expensive as some of the Leupold offerings. The only dif is that NF doesn't make products for the lower end of the market, thusly they appear far more high-end than they are.
Right. It's not as if there aren't more expensive scopes than NF, and frankly NF is a fairly common brand among scope selection in that price range. People seem to have some strange ideas regarding how much scopes cost, to the point where having a decent scope somehow equates to bragging rights.
Old 05-05-2014, 8:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
...to the point where having a decent scope somehow equates to bragging rights.
Exactly right.
My brother in law, who is a veteran hunter, gave me shiz for spending $600 on a pair of Steiner binos until he bothered to look through them. After which he promptly ordered a pair for himself. His binos that he's squinted through for at least a dozen seasons? A $75 pair he'd bought at Walmart back when and "thought" they were fine. A lot of people have no idea what good optics are because they have settles for so much less for so long.