Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:21 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

Default Announcing The Calguns Foundation

Edit: We've updated the address and the ways to donate. More here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=108030

-------------------------------------

The Calguns Foundation is a California non-profit corporation whose goals are to support the California Firearms Community by promoting education for all stakeholders about California and Federal firearms laws, rights and privileges, defending and protecting the civil rights of California Gun Owners, and supporting the unique public discussion forum at Calguns.net.
The incorporating board members are:

hoffmang, artherd bweise, Ivanimal, Kestryll, and the_quark

To get things moving quickly we’ve chosen to use a smaller board to get up and running. At our initial board meeting in the next couple of weeks we will be expanding the board to 7 to 9 board members. We will also be appointing a list of Honorary Board Members over the next month or so.

We will be applying for 501 (c) (3) charitable organization status with the IRS. What that means for you is that any donations you make before we obtain our status may not be tax deductible - Updated: We are now a fully qualified 501(c)(3) tax deductible organization but, should we receive our status, we will send you a thank you letter and you can then deduct your then charitable contributions to The Calguns Foundation. Please make sure you mark any donations with your name and an address, email address, or both so that we can send you a thank you for your tax files.

What we’re planning to do:
1. Support Bright Spot Pawn to the extent necessary.
2. Support another FFL who sells off list firearms who the California Department of Justice is unjustly persecuting (more news there shortly)
3. Sponsor the creation and distribution of a legal opinion letter explaining the current state of California firearms laws to DA’s, LEA’s, Judges (Federal and State), and others with proof of service to them.
4. Sponsor the printing of high quality copies of the AW Flow Chart and help distribute them to FFLs, gun clubs, LEAs, DA’s, and others.
5. Generally implement funding and vetting procedures for both offensive and defensive legal cases that are appropriate to protect the civil rights of California gun owners.
6. Assist Kestryll and others in the support of Calguns.net

What we can’t do:
1. Lobby as the Foundation. What Calgunners do on their own time and what is advocated by NRA and others is not legislative activity sponsored by the Calguns Foundation.
2. Make statements in any campaign for a public office.
Calguns Foundation will support the activities and expenses of Calguns.net but we do not own the forum or the domain name. What members of the board of Calguns Foundation post on Calguns.net is not necessarily the opinion of the Calguns Foundation – unless it is marked pretty clearly that it is (kind of like this post.)
3. Defend everyone's firearms related legal trouble. The Calguns Foundation is not your lawyer or your personal legal defense fund. We can't assist in every case and we will certainly not assist cases where the firearms are illegally used, configured, manufactured or possessed or were part of other obviously illegal activity.

Please donate now. Your donations will go to support all the purposes of the Calguns Foundation. Of course the Bright Spot Pawn situation will be a core focus, but we also want to get started on educating DA’s and LEA’s and supporting other legal cases that make sense to the board and the honorary board members.

Until we can get our accounts established please mail checks to:

The now correct address is:

The Calguns Foundation
751 Laurel Street Suite 935
San Carlos, CA 94070-3113

Please make checks payable to “The Calguns Foundation” and put your email address or CGN handle on the memo line.

As soon as we get our accounts open, Don Kilmer will forward your donations to The Calguns Foundation accounts. We’ll add Paypal shortly (yes we know) and expect to add direct credit card donations in the summer. We’ll also be changing the donation address and name to our own as soon as we complete some formalities and open our accounts.

Our very first order of business is to support Bright Spot Pawn in their situation with the Riverside Sherriff’s office. We have assisted BSP in obtaining counsel with Trutanich • Michel, LLP and I’ve confirmed with both the BSP folks and the TMLLP folks that they are on the case.

To the extent that we raise more than what’s necessary for just BSP, we will be using those funds for other cases that will support the civil rights of California gun owners, dealers, and manufacturers.

Together we can create something that is an effective counter balance to the over-reaches we’ve been seeing in California. We expect to occupy an important niche between the very good work that NRA does on the legislative side and the shooting activities that CRPA implements on the other side.
Please donate early and often. We’re going to be doing even more great things!

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon

Last edited by Kestryll; 09-19-2010 at 4:16 PM.. Reason: Updated the donation address
Old 03-15-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
6. Assist Kestryll and others in the support of Calguns.net

-Gene
Excellent step. May I also recommend at the same time (if possible) the establishment of a Calguns Endowment Fund for the use of generating capital for furthering the calguns site, and other calguns materials. This would also allow long term financial issues to be addressed as well as allowing those to donate via a line item in their wills.
Indoor Winter Rimfire Shoot. Information here

Last edited by AngelDecoys; 03-15-2008 at 1:10 PM..
Old 03-15-2008, 12:46 PM

Angel,

The board is going to talk through endowment fund issues. One thing I will say is that I think its the hope of the board to make this organization unneccessary in the next 10-15 years and have its mission get more limited to just making sure that this site is well taken care of. Part of our proposed founding documents provide for the winding up of CGF by transferring its remaining funds and assets to another firearms/civil rights non profit organization. Either way, at a later date, we'll come back to and Endowment. For right now the Foundation needs donations now that can be put to use on the legal and educational front.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 03-15-2008, 1:25 PM

Gene-

I agree there's plenty of issues that curently need funding.

Was just pushing around the idea in my head (thinking outload so to speak) of future site sustainability, possible scholarship award, and or trip to the NRA headquarters for our head janitor. Sounds like that's already been thought of.

The CGF as a 501(3)(c) is a good idea. Glad someone is doing it. Probably could get a grant from Walmart, Costco, and from the FNRA once that status is confirmed. There's free money to be found if one knows where to look.
Indoor Winter Rimfire Shoot. Information here
Old 03-15-2008, 2:04 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Way to go boys... This is a major step in the right direction. Now everyone get out those checkbooks!!! Every dollar donated is an investment in the future of our interests!
Old 03-15-2008, 3:34 PM

I'm on this like white on rice!

(I can say that because I'm one of them yellow fellas. )
Old 03-15-2008, 4:01 PM

Glad you got everything up and running (almost). Will be sending a donation.
Old 03-15-2008, 4:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Excellent news, Gene. I'm in for $50 w/ the addition of Paypal and/or CC options. Calguns at its finest!
Old 03-15-2008, 7:27 PM
Veteran Member

Excellent News!

I have nonprofit experience and my first recomendation is to sign up with google checkout as they dont charge ANY fees, at least till 09, for non profit transactions. no cc fees even.

-blackberg
Old 03-15-2008, 7:45 PM
Super Moderator

Location: West Oakland, low crawling up on Emeryville and Berkeley.

This is an outstanding development.

I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 03-15-2008, 8:09 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Wow! Glad to see this also. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-15-2008, 8:12 PM

Great idea! Good luck and I'll donate shortly..
Old 03-15-2008, 9:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Glad to see this taking shape.

FWIW...I work for a large non-profit Agency. Would be glad to lend expertise or anything needed that I can contribute in addition to funding.
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 03-15-2008, 9:36 PM
Banned

Awesome - happy to help out with legal stuff!!!

Old 03-16-2008, 8:18 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I am in. I will talk to the partners today about how much.

I am also interested in being a board member. I have six years of Friends of NRA chairman experience. Speaking of which, the FNRA might be an appropriate source of income. We give money to foundations all of the time and would just need to write an appropriate grant.

The CGF might also want to eventually consider doing an annual banquet/fundraiser. That would be fun.

Well done boys.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 03-16-2008, 8:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks for your work getting this up and running.

I sometimes wonder if some of these important annoucements could use a better distribution method i.e. a P.M (or even email) in everyone's box or possibly a popup the first time a member logs after an important announcement is made. Something to get everyones attention and direct us to the information. Some folks do avoid or make infrequent stops in some sections of this forum.

Last edited by tankerman; 03-16-2008 at 8:39 AM..
Old 03-16-2008, 10:54 AM

As soon as we get our 501(c)(3) status we're going to be coming up with a grant strategy. I'm pretty sure we want a sizeable capital reserve to remain a credible threat to malicious prosecution of California gun owners and so we can keep up the educational efforts around all the activities.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 03-16-2008, 11:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

This is fantastic. I'm in, of course.

Can I recommend that we encourage all of our Calguns vendors (10%, Riflegear, Rainier, Shoot for Less, etc etc) to add "round-up" campaigns and/or outright donation lines to their billing for items? It's an easy and effective way to increase donations.

Another one I'd suggest is some kind of catchy slogan $5 campaign for every lower we buy. Hopefully the off-list sellers will understand the merit and will put donation boxes in their shops.

Thanks for pulling this together, Gene.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
As soon as we get our 501(c)(3) status we're going to be coming up with a grant strategy. I'm pretty sure we want a sizeable capital reserve to remain a credible threat to malicious prosecution of California gun owners and so we can keep up the educational efforts around all the activities.

-Gene
If there were some sort of malicious prosecution by state officials to frighten and persecute gun owners, could they themselves be charged under RICO? Use the Feds to handle the situation.

Last edited by tankerman; 03-16-2008 at 9:52 PM..
Old 03-16-2008, 12:12 PM

Sounds great!

Count me in!
Old 03-16-2008, 8:31 PM

I think adding a "Donate $2 to the Calguns Foundation" in checkout screens will help a lot, I certainly would check it off everytime I order something from a vendor.
Old 03-16-2008, 8:39 PM

It's about time. Great news. I'm in.

I mentioned a while ago when we were raising money for BWO that we should start an auction form and all proceeds go to the site. We can still have the for sale sites but Im sure everyone has some part or piece of gear they would be willing to donate.

Works kinda like this. Post item in auction thread for 24, 36, 72 hrs or even a week. People post their bids. Winner sends a check to the corp fund. Whomever handles the corp account PM's the original poster that cash has been received. Original poster then mails item to winner.

Yea it takes some trust but I believe everyone here would participate honorably.
Old 03-16-2008, 8:55 PM

Great News... Donation on it's way...

Don't forget to add CCW to the list of uphill battles...

Thanks Guys
with a Free Floating Piston...
Old 03-16-2008, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SGMAT View Post
I mentioned a while ago when we were raising money for BWO that we should start an auction form and all proceeds go to the site. We can still have the for sale sites but Im sure everyone has some part or piece of gear they would be willing to donate.

Works kinda like this. Post item in auction thread for 24, 36, 72 hrs or even a week. People post their bids. Winner sends a check to the corp fund. Whomever handles the corp account PM's the original poster that cash has been received. Original poster then mails item to winner.

Yea it takes some trust but I believe everyone here would participate honorably.
I love the idea of an auction area on calguns. I'm sure plenty of us have extra gear we could donate. I have some extra holsters and other stuff that I'm sure someone would love.

As for the foundation, once the paypal and official 501 3c is setup I will donate. This is a great idea.

I think that perhaps education can be the most pro-active action we can take to help protect CA gun owners. Educate owners and law enforcement. The flow chart is perfect. Imagine if we mailed out two versions to every law enforcement officers in CA. They could have a laminated copy for their car, and a paper version they could take home and review. Maybe even include a polite note on the exciting new rifle options which are available to all Californians to purchase. Perhaps we could get them on board.
Old 03-16-2008, 9:17 PM
Calguns Addict

As usual in the fight for our 2A rights, you can count on me as well. Just to echo the thoughts of those before me, count on my support too! Let me know if you need any logistical/administrative support, Dragonfly and I have experience in those areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 03-16-2008, 9:56 PM

Sounds great! Expect $50 when Ppal or Google are online!

If you need any help I'm willing to chip in. Very experienced in vB and php / mysql coding. Been a coder and network admin for years.

Great job!

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - J. Cooper

ConfusionDesign.com - Web Hosting & Design Services

AR10 .308 For Sale
Old 03-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Blue Blaze Irregular

I'm assuming that since this is a non-political foundation that anonymous contributions are legit?

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 03-17-2008, 12:36 AM

please let me know when you start accepting credit cards. will be more than happy to contribute.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:41 AM

1. We are under no obligation to disclose our donors and will happily accept your donation as anonymous if you mark it that way. I would suggest that you still give us enough info to send you the "Thank you" letter should we get our tax deductible status, but if you mark it anonymous we'll not disclose it other than "Anonymous $200" should we ever list donors.

2. Please take the time to write a check for now. We'll have credit card later, but BSP and everyone need your donations today to fight for our rights and privileges.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 03-17-2008, 7:07 AM
Super Moderator

Fantastic! I think this is a great move in the right direction. I will try to send something this Summer during my busy season, things are a little tight right now. In the mean time, I will spread the word.

On a side note Gene, what did you mean by this?
Quote:
… I think its the hope of the board to make this organization unneccessary in the next 10-15 years and have its mission get more limited to just making sure that this site is well taken care of…
Are you really so optimistic that there will be no persecution of California gun owners in this time? That the AW ban will be repealed? It seems to me that things will continue to get worse over time. Every time we get rid of one law, they will come up with something new. Maybe I am just a pessimist.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."

- Mark Twain

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old 03-17-2008, 7:19 AM
Veteran Member

Sweet, Count me in, and a big thanks to Gene and company.

"Lest we forget" .... General Robert E. Lee

"Do I have the right to do it?" "Yes, you do" "Can I do it then?" "No, you can't" - Nick

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will
and moral courage of free men and women. - Ronald Reagan
Old 03-17-2008, 8:05 AM
Veteran Member

I'm in baby....Glad to be a part of the greatest community on the interweb...
Old 03-17-2008, 9:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Count me in Donation going out today, via s/m
Old 03-17-2008, 9:30 AM

Wow. I was just thinking about this 4-5 days ago. About Calguns setting up a legal fund to support those who are arrested & wrongful charges put on them for legal firearms & oll's. Just a pot that everyone donates to, and if something comes up that needs the funds then they are available to support them. Of couse only used for legal firearms, oll's configured correctly, ect. If you are breaking the law, you get no support. And look what I come in to work on monday and find. This is WONDERFUL. It's nice to support law abiding citizens & businesses. And I know I would have the same support if something ever happened to me.

I will be donating somtime in the month of April. I owe on taxes (about $5K) and need to come up with the funds for that first and am only halfway there. Doh!
Old 03-17-2008, 1:23 PM

I'm in, a check will go out today or tomorrow. I'm sure you guys all have regular jobs and this looks like it's going to be a lot of work. So thanks for the effort and don't hesitate to ask for help.
Old 03-17-2008, 3:00 PM

My check is in the mail. I'm all for anything we can do to help oppressed gun owners and dealers who've had their rights violated. Maybe we can get some of these unconstitutional laws repealed.
Old 03-17-2008, 4:14 PM

Great news, thanks to everybody that is involved in getting this started.
I will help with a check soon.
Old 03-17-2008, 6:19 PM

I give regularly to the Michael Savage defense fund for free speech and will give regularly to this as well.

P.S. I too think the donation line on vendors checkout pages is an excellent idea, i'd absolutely check that box.
Old 03-17-2008, 7:09 PM
Calguner Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

I would be more than glad to donate after the board makes a statement that the Calguns Foundation is a law abiding organization which abides by all state and federal laws and does not advocate or engage in illegal overthrow of state or federal governments.
Old 03-17-2008, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satex View Post
I would be more than glad to donate after the board makes a statement that the Calguns Foundation is a law abiding organization which abides by all state and federal laws and does not advocate or engage in illegal overthrow of state or federal governments.
CalGuns and its members are all about following the law to the letter, thats why we are here!
My solar tac grip wrap just slides off if I pull on it... I can tighten it down as much as I can and it will still slide off. I got it for a regular AK PG and it's on a standard romanian bakelite I think PG... What should I do? I kept the mag lock installed just in case this would happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stphnman20 View Post
What is a FEDUPWBS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezil_boi View Post
( Yes, FEDUP... you were right ).Just 1.5 cents