Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-03-2014, 7:59 PM

Question TA31ECOS vs. SpecterDR

Im new to Calguns and live in So Cal near Temecula. I am having THE hardest time deciding between the Trijicon TA31 ECOS or the Elcan SpecterDR 1-4x for my "Go-To" M4A1 Block II build. Ive done my research on them i know the cost, weight, eye relief, "battery life" etc. But ive never used one in person. Ive looked through a standard 4x32 ACOG at my LGS but that is the only experience i have. Im hoping someone on here can help me out! Shoot even meetup for a range day so i can actually get a feel for one. Any help is appreciated
Old 04-04-2014, 9:44 AM
Calguns Addict

If you plan on doing any significant amount of shooting under 50 yards, you're going to appreciate the 1x option of the Elcan.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Old 04-04-2014, 9:46 AM
Veteran Member

I was in the same boat last year. I went with the TA31-ECOS because I'd rather lift my head to the RMR for close up shots instead of flipping the Elcan's lever to 1x. I almost bought the Elcan for the coolness factor but I realized that I would never use 2x or 3x so I went with the fixed ACOG.
Old 04-07-2014, 8:27 PM

@teflondog My main dilemma is eye relief. I cant stand scope shadow. And i feel the same way with the RMR but i think of possibly dropping a Docter sight on top of the elcan. The elcan only has a 1x and a 4x no in between. Honestly im curious how you like the ECOS. Is it more of a bench shooter or can you rapidly engage targets going between both the RMR and the 4x32? And how do you like the reticle?
Old 04-07-2014, 9:24 PM
Calguns Addict

My experience with the ECOS is that is fairly quick, especially as the distance increases. For close in work though, I don't find it quick enough. You'll definitely want an offset or top mounted dot sight for speed.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 PM
Calguns Addict

I talk about the TA31RCO-M150 here: http://www.ocabj.net/18-spr-field-rifle-build-report/

I've got 500 rounds on the current gun I have the M150 on and I think it's a good general purpose combat optic.

I'm undecided on what 'CQB' sight to use on it. At first I was set on getting the RMR and mount to put it on top of the ACOG, then I changed my mind and was going to get an Aimpoint Micro T-1 on a Larue offset mount, then I changed my mind again back to the RMR.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 04-07-2014, 11:33 PM

Might want to look at the Elcan OS4X ... basically like the SpecterDR without the 1x capabilities. Carries over the great eye relief and glass but half the cost of the SpecterDR. Also you can add a RMR red dot on top for 1x capabilities if you want.

I have the SpecterDR for my clone Block II build but if I wasn't doing that I don't know if I would have gotten it. The trijicon is still very nice but not fond of the eye relief and the RMR placed high is not idea for me. I would rather have it offset then lift my head up to use it.

Here's the OS4X on my pistol MK18 build... just threw it on their for fun but should give you an idea what it might look like on Block II build.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:47 PM

We have both Acog TA31H and Elcan Specter DR. The glass on the Elcan is Spectacular, illuminated(adjustable brightness)red dot / crosshairs with BDC is Awesome and the 1 to 4 ability rocks, but it's heavy. The Acog is lightweight, dead accurate, battle proven(at least my torture test was my Noveske w/ the Acog flying out of the back of my SUV in a bag, took a little scuffing, but no damage and no loss of zero). If was going to carry my rifle, running and gunning, the ACOG would be the choice. But again the Elcan is truly superb. If ever up in Santa Barbara, you're welcome to try them both out. We will be at our Winchester Canyon Gun Club next weekend. Not sure Sat or Sun yet.
Old 04-08-2014, 7:24 PM

Thanks everyone for weighing in!! If im ever in Santa Barbara ill most definitely stop by.
Ive looked at the OS4X but really wasnt all that interested. I think i may go with the SpecterDR .
Theres pros and cons to both optics but i think ill go with the Elcan.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

I have 4 ACOG's in various configurations... I've looked at the Elcan but can't justify the price or the weight. If i wanted an off centered CQ optic I'd put a RMR on a 45 degree.

If you don't like the price of something I am selling please feel free to move along... The market, not you, will determine what it's worth. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2014, 1:28 AM

Sloth

I have had both an ACOG with dot sight on top and the Specter DR. Both have their pros and cons.

ACOG - The pro for the ACOG/Dot site combo is that it is lighter than the Specter Dr. Although the newest Specters are much lighter that they used to be but still a little heavier. (And more expensive).

Having a small dot sight on top of the scope give you great situational awareness for close range. It is also very useful for sighting your long range target. Once you have your red dot on the target. You just drop your eye down to the scope and your there. However, this transition takes about a second or two. First because your eye has to adjust to the magnification. Second because you need to line up your cross hairs on the target. But if you get excited and move your gun during the transition, you loose your target all together and have to reacquire it all over again.

The other plus is that the tritium will always give you a little at night without batteries. Keep in mind that little glow is powered by radiation!

The biggest con for the ACOG is the eye relief. It's much to close for my liking. Furthermore, the short eye relief forced me to move the scope as far back on the rail so I can view it comfortably. This also forced me to move my rear iron sights in front of the scope which I did not like. For these reasons, I got rid of mine. However, I've heard that Trijicon has some ACOG with longer eye relief that may eliminate some of the cons.

Specter Dr - The biggest pro for the Specter is while keeping your eye on the target, you can go from x1 to x4 magnification in a flip of a switch or visa versa. This provide some great tactical advantages. Better yet, there is virtually no eye adjustment between the two magnifications. The only draw back to flipping this lever is that you have to take one hand off the gun to do this unless your thumb has a long reach (Fortunately mines does) In certain circumstances it can potentially be a problem. If you're prone with a bipod, no problem.

Oddly enough, the Specter also has a mount option where you can add a dot sight on top.

On top of that, the iron sights on top of the scope can be moved to the sides so you can still use them in conjunction with the dot site.

Now think about that! You have a x1 magnification dot sight, a x4 magnification scope, a dot sight on top for better situational awareness and iron sights in case everything else craps out. No other scope on the market offers so many sight option in one unit. And the added bonus is that I can still fit my ARMS 40L rear iron sight underneath it! So if I take the scope of I still have my gun irons!!!!

The other pro is the lighting. The lighting is awesome! You can use a red dot sight for the day and for night you can light your recitals up in red. They can also be used with night vision.

I also like the fact that sighting in the scope is done through the mound instead of the scope. I just wish they had a knob for adjusting the windage instead of a coin or screw driver.

There are a few cons. Older versions are fairly heavy for a scope. Newer once are much better. In the x1 magnification, it's not the best dot sight. I feel the length of the tube reduces situational awareness at close range. So as a scope it's great. As a dot sight it's okay. But you can always go to your irons or mini dot sight on top if you want better situational awareness at close range. And last, the 1-4 Specter is more expensive. However, with one of mine I called Elcan and asked if the had any refurbished ones. The one I got for a grand only had a scratch on it

One last thing to consider is that if the ACOG or the Specter are too pricey. Try the Burris TAC30 combo. http://www.burrisoptics.com/fftac30.html These are quite nice if for the money.

Last edited by Lexington-1; 04-12-2014 at 1:38 AM..
Old 04-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Overlord View Post
@teflondog My main dilemma is eye relief. I cant stand scope shadow. And i feel the same way with the RMR but i think of possibly dropping a Docter sight on top of the elcan. The elcan only has a 1x and a 4x no in between. Honestly im curious how you like the ECOS. Is it more of a bench shooter or can you rapidly engage targets going between both the RMR and the 4x32? And how do you like the reticle?
My mistake; I was getting the SpecterDR confused with variable zoom scopes.

Transitioning between the ACOG and RMR is super fast for me, but I shoot NTCH so that may be a factor in quickly acquiring the ACOG's reticle. Lifting your head to acquire the RMR's dot is a no-brainer and breaking cheekweld isn't as big a deal as most people make it out to be. The crosshairs of the ECOS are great IMO. I find them a lot more precise than the horseshoe or donut reticles. The BDC is pretty accurate with XM193 out to 400 yards, but I haven't tested it out any farther than that.

The only time I can't get a good sight picture with the ECOS is when I shoot in positions such as urban prone, but I'm sure the same problem would exist with the Elcan.

Last edited by teflondog; 04-14-2014 at 11:07 AM..
Old 04-15-2014, 12:31 AM
Calguns Addict

ECOS, to me, is the more versatile option. You can shoot that thing in so many awkward positions it's not even funny.
Old 04-15-2014, 5:58 PM

I am still not completely decided. Theyve both got their own pros and cons. What i think i might do is buy the Elcan and if i dont like it ill sell it and have plenty left for the ECOS.. Lol.
Old 04-15-2014, 7:30 PM

Ive got another curiosity.. Anyone ever fabricate a mount for a Trijicon RMR to drop on top of the Elcan?? I know about the Docter but honestly i just dont know/care id prefer Trijicon.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Overlord View Post
Im new to Calguns and live in So Cal near Temecula. I am having THE hardest time deciding between the Trijicon TA31 ECOS or the Elcan SpecterDR 1-4x for my "Go-To" M4A1 Block II build. Ive done my research on them i know the cost, weight, eye relief, "battery life" etc. But ive never used one in person. Ive looked through a standard 4x32 ACOG at my LGS but that is the only experience i have. Im hoping someone on here can help me out! Shoot even meetup for a range day so i can actually get a feel for one. Any help is appreciated
Oh, I didn't even see that you're fairly local. If you're interested, you're more than welcome to try mine. I think it's set up pretty close to what you have in mind.

Hands down, the funnest and most versatile shooter I've had.
Old 04-16-2014, 6:04 PM

Default May I suggest?

Been done. Piggybacked Elcans are quite common. Usually piggy'd with a Insight MRDS. There was a reliability case with the Trijicons that I believe caused the military to chose the Insight MRDS as their go to. Might not be the case anymore. However the mount can be used for both optics if you insist on putting a trijicon RMR on the Elcan.
My wife's optic

Other options

Last edited by Big bug; 04-16-2014 at 6:11 PM..
Old 04-17-2014, 10:00 AM

Have you looked here http://www.browe-inc.com/ for an ACOG alternative?

01 FFL, Chula Vista, CA
www.westcoastsurvivalarms.com
info@westcoastsurvivalarms.com
Old 04-17-2014, 6:55 PM

Default Browe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcisniper View Post
Have you looked here http://www.browe-inc.com/ for an ACOG alternative?
Interesting optics...but the fact that it uses CR123 batteries is a deal breaker right off the bat. Try getting those batteries when the going gets tough.
Old 04-18-2014, 5:47 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droppin Deuces View Post
Oh, I didn't even see that you're fairly local. If you're interested, you're more than welcome to try mine. I think it's set up pretty close to what you have in mind.

Hands down, the funnest and most versatile shooter I've had.
Dang mines pretty dern close to yours! Ive got the full length tangodown vfg, surefire m600u with larue offset mount, surefire brake, bcm upper/lower and troy buis. I live in menifee.. Not sure where youre located. Maybe we can meet up sometime at a range or blm sometime! If im not working that is. Thats a sweet build though
Old 04-19-2014, 3:51 PM

Heres my baby girl
image.jpg
Had the Aimpoint T1 on a Larue mount but want to try something different. Just recently sold it now moving towards the Elcan.