Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Private Firearms Sales - Long Guns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Private Firearms Sales - Long Guns For the private sale of rifles, shotguns and other long guns. Read the rules before posting.

Old 03-31-2014, 8:28 PM

Default WTS - Chinese Mauser K98k, Springfield 1903, K98k G-Date - Bay Area

Make: Mauser

Model: Banner Kar98k

Caliber: 8mm Mauser

Location (city or county): Oakland

Price: $650 $600 $550 $500 Consolidated into other ad

Will ship (Y/N): Not at this time

Other info: Won this off Gunbroker not long ago but it needs to go if I'm going to afford my dream K98k. It's a somewhat interesting gun, despite its fairly abused condition. It's got the Mauser Banner logo, but in place of the Weimar eagles you'd expect, you find these:

Along with a stamp on the stock. These are the markings requested by the Nationalist Chinese - kind of an interesting historical side note since China and Germany would eventually find themselves on opposite sides of World War II. The gun itself is a bolt mismatch Banner Mauser made at Oberndorf in, I believe, 1934. The bolt, interestingly enough, does have commercial proof marks on the root, meaning it also likely came from a Banner gun. The bolt is a mismatched piece, no two numbers are the same on it. The bad news about the gun is definitely the condition. The wood is in rough shape and there is a fairly serious crack at the wrist. After five rounds of fire it did not appear to widen at all so I suspect it is stable, but I'd still be leery of shooting this gun excessively, especially considering the stock is numbers matched to the receiver. The bluing has turned to patina in large parts and there is a fair amount of pitting beneath the wood line. The bore looks good however and the action is as buttery smooth as one would expect of a commercial Oberndorf Mauser. No sling or cleaning rod but it does have the capture screws.

You can see the rest of the pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/Osvme#5

Make: Springfield Armory

Model: 1903

Caliber: .30-06

Price: $850 $800 $750 Consolidated into other ad

Other info: Well. I've had this old stick for many a long year, it is the gun in my avatar in point of fact, but I don't particularly believe in sentimentality when it comes to guns and a time must come for everything to go, I find. It is a Springfield Armory produced M1903, made in the year 1911 and rebarreled at Remington in 1944. It has an odd "UUU" cartouche in the stock, which the experts over at the CMP Forums indicated meant service with the Navy. This is backed up by a crumpled up Department of the Navy matchbook lodged in the cleaning compartment of the stock, which I will be passing on to the next owner in line. It is very clean and in quite nice condition considering it's century+ on the planet. It is a "low number" Springfield, so any potential owner should be cautioned about the potential danger in poor heat treating that may or may not have occurred. Of course, it was shot enough times to warrant a re-barrel, and I ran into no problems the few times I took it to the range, but that constitutes no endorsement on my part. Also included is the 1907 style sling - I can't say whether it is a reproduction or not, but it is quite nice regardless.

A whole heap of additional pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/S9kl1#44

Model: Cut-Down Krag Rifle (W. Stokes Kirk Conversion?)

Caliber: .30-40 Krag

Price: $650 $600 SPF!

Other info: Produced in either 1899 or 1900, this was originally issued as the common full length M1898 Krag rifle. At some time in the 1920s or 1930s, it was converted into a near clone of the Krag Carbine, a much handier and more popular size amongst the populace at the time. Some of these were done by the NRA, which I suspected of mine for a time but could find no markings to support the theory. The wags over at gunboards seemed to think the firm of W. Stokes Kirk the most likely candidate, divined via arcane analysis of the front sight I believe. Regardless, whoever it was did a fine job and the rifle is in considerably good condition for all that. It even has a fair degree of nitre blue left on the claw extractor, which is what sold it to me in the first place.

It shoots fairly well too and the bore is in unabused condition. Included in the sale is the aftermarket 1907 style sling pictured as well as one box of modern manufacture .30-40 Krag ammo. I can also throw in a fair quantity of .30-40 Krag brass if you have a hankering to reload. If you've never thrown the bolt on a Krag before, it is something to enjoy - the 1903 and Banner Mauser above are no slouches in this department either, but the Krag is probably the butteriest of the whole buttery bunch.

More pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/iAGVM#3

Make: S/243 (Mauser Borsigwalde)

Model: Kar98k

Price: $750 $700 Removed from sale

Other info: So the first one up I'm a little on the fence about selling. It's a G-date, which means manufactured in 1935, when the Germans were still being sly with the Versailles Treaty and stamping plausible deniability onto their guns (K is the code for '34, G is the code for '35, they gave up the ruse in '36). Mauser Borsigwalde was located in Berlin and was one of the first factories to tool up for production of the new battle rifle - it's a no letter block serial which means first run of production, although apparently letter blocks for S/243s in 1935 are rare. So like as not, this was the 1,821st K98k made there. The bluing is excellent, better than any other K98k Ive owned. There's nitre blue on the bolt release for pete's sake! Just look!

The action is smoother than any other K98k I've handled as well, like butter. They just had more time during the depression to work on stuff like this and the production numbers were still low and fairly unhurried. Late war guns have a charm all their own, showing the exigencies of the crisis they were built under, but an early Mauser is a thing of beauty. Now for the bad. It's basically a mixmaster - the barrel and the sling band and the trigger guard match the receiver. Nothing else does. The bolt mostly matches itself except for the cocking piece. It also shoots to the left by a fair bit, not sure if the front sight simply needs to be drifted over or what. I didn't really want to take a hammer to it. On the other hand, the sling on it is original, as far as I can see ($100+ now themselves) and the front sight has some beautiful checkering on it. No front sight hood is correct for these early guns, there is no milled slot for one to go. It is missing a cleaning rod though. Capture screws are in place (check out the album below for that, and the action screws even have little WaffenAmts, how adorable. The stock doesn't match but it is the correct hardwood with a flat buttplate, and some barely visible WaAs (was likely sanded at some point). Overall a beautiful example of early Mauser work and a gun I am conflicted about selling.

More pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/ScHyl#19

Make: DOT (Waffen Werke Brunn)

Model: Kar98k

Price: $1145 $1095 Sold!

Other info: This K98k, besides being a sort of neat sporter/sniper repro, makes for a perfect juxtaposition with the one above. The base gun is a DOT '45, made at the occupied Czech factory (BRNO). It has rampant lion Czech proofs instead of WaAs and the late war enlarged trigger guard popular with the Czechs. Very few parts are numbered, although those that are do match, from what I can tell (bolt matches the receiver). The stock has what looks like a spurious WaA and L stamped into it, possibly by a previous owner. It has the checkered cupped butt plate as well, which someone has written DOT '45 on since you can't actually see the receiver stampings under the front scope mount. The scope itself is a post-war Czech manufacture which has been attached in the old way, by disassembling the scope and then brazing it back together inside the rings (note there is no way to disassemble the rings to remove it). It is attached by a QD mount at the rear which can be pinched, and then dovetailed into the front mounts. The center ring adjusts elevation, windage may be adjusted by a movable plate on the front mount, I'm not quite sure about that to be honest. I shot it today and put up a 2" group at 50 yards. Nothing great, but then I'm not a great shooter myself. If you have the time though, check out the various stamped parts like the front barrel band and trigger guard vs the milled parts of the K98k above. 10 years and a World War makes a big difference in a rifle that otherwise carries the exact same designation! The glass is clear and bright, for its age. A small amount of distortion around the edge of the FOV and the reticle is crisp and moves when you adjust the ring. Here's a shot of it (it isn't quite so blurry irl)

If you buy both K98ks I'm sure I can cut you a worthy deal. Even the stock contrasts well with the above gun, being a cupped butt laminate. The sling is a reproduction and it's missing a cleaning rod also, fyi. Here's the album with the rest of the pics: http://imgur.com/a/gMt0z#28

EDIT: Further research would seem to indicate this rifle has been built up as a clone of the very rare "Double Claw" sniper rifle employed by Germany during the war. The mount bases used here are thicker and of a more modern make, but pictures I've turned up show similar rings, mounting solutions and a similar center adjust ring scope.

Model: M1 Garand

Caliber: .30-06

Price: $845 Sold!

Other info: Lets get the bad out of the way first. It's import marked (Arlington Ord) and the stock is obviously refinished. Now for the good. It looks like the parkerization is original to me, it's a war era gun (Feb. '44 for the curious) with a '51 dated SA barrel. It has a national match marked oprod and it shoots dang straight. The stock would appear to be USGI as well, with the P proof mark on the heel. If you're looking for a nice shooter Garand that also has some WWII (and maybe Korea? Who knows) history, hard to go wrong here. The sling is original as well, I've been told (no sling expert). Here's the photo album: http://imgur.com/a/HCMhC#0

All guns are C&R, cash and carry if you have an 03 FFL and a COE you can give me copies of. Otherwise it'll have to be at an 01 FFL. I'm generally pretty flexible about driving throughout the Bay Area to meet up. I'm open to all kinds of WWII related trades, although I'm trying to specialize in USGI and German guns at the moment, feel free to make offers. I'm selling all these in the hopes of putting together enough money for a really nice early K98k, maybe a bolt mismatch or something, so if you have one of those, great!

Last edited by ZenMastaT; 08-09-2014 at 9:44 AM..
Old 08-07-2014, 9:11 PM

Bump!