Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 03-31-2014, 1:35 PM

Unhappy Disappointed with Vortex Warranty Service

So I sent in a Product Repair Form with my PST 4-16 FFP to Vortex a few weeks ago with the following note...

"Using a plumb bob, I leveled the crosshairs then put a level on the turret. The turret is canted to one side quite a bit."

Out of the blue, I just got the scope back with the following notes written on the repair form...

Riflescope Warranty Service
--NO CHARGE--
PST 4-16x50 MRAD FFP (Reticle
debris) Cleaned reticle. Checked,
cleaned, and purged scope. S/N
300xxxx

No call ahead of time or a notice that the problem was fixed or looked at.

So I just spent over an hour properly mounting my scope back on my rifle and the same problem exists. The crosshairs are rotated in relation to the turrets.

I have many scopes, including a 6-14 PST and none of them have this problem.

So what would you do? I'm not in the mood for paying another shipping fee to get it back to Vortex to have them not fix the problem again and have my scope for another 3 weeks. It seems like they didn't even acknowledge the problem existed. Not sure what to do here...

Last edited by Yerman; 04-01-2014 at 2:24 PM..
Old 03-31-2014, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yerman View Post
So I sent in a Product Repair Form with my PST 4-16 FFP to Vortex a few weeks ago with the following note...

"Using a plumb bob, I leveled the crosshairs then put a level on the turret. The turret is canted to one side quite a bit."

Out of the blue, I just got the scope back with the following notes written on the repair form...

--NO CHARGE--
300xxxx

So I just spent over an hour properly mounting my scope back on my rifle and the same problem exists. The crosshairs are rotated in relation to the turrets.

So what would you do? I'm not in the mood for paying another shipping fee to get it back to Vortex to have them not fix the problem again and have my scope for another 3 weeks. It seems like they didn't even acknowledge the problem existed. Not sure what to do here...

personally, I'd buy a real scope, instead of a chinese toy. You get what you pay for, no matter what vortex claims.
Old 03-31-2014, 2:16 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinoro2007 View Post
personally, I'd buy a real scope, instead of a chinese Filipino toy. You get what you pay for, no matter what vortex claims.
FIFY; I believe they are made in the Philippines.
Old 03-31-2014, 2:19 PM
Calguns Addict

OP, did you try calling them to get an explanation? I've only ever known them to have nothing short of stellar customer service.
Old 03-31-2014, 2:30 PM

Pick up the phone and call them. When I sent mine back it was the same way. Only they sent me a brand new scope. They just sent it out, and emailed me a tracking number.

You need to drop your scope, bend the bell, then send it back lol.
Old 03-31-2014, 2:31 PM
CGSSA Wine Country Chapt.
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droppin Deuces View Post
OP, did you try calling them to get an explanation? I've only ever known them to have nothing short of stellar customer service.

+1 - Dropping a note with repair form SHOULD be enough - but often times it is not. I definitely would speak to someone, then use THEIR name when I mailed it in. Also, ask them to pay for the shipping back! ( For you inconvenience) All they can do is say no!

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-31-2014, 2:50 PM

Quote:
personally, I'd buy a real scope, instead of a chinese toy. You get what you pay for, no matter what vortex claims.
In your opinion what is a "real" scope....

Please visit us @ www.ncpprc.com for more info.
Old 03-31-2014, 3:05 PM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vu 308 View Post
I don't know his opinion, but Vortex is okay for entry level. True operators will only rely on Barska and NcStar for their stellar quality.
Old 03-31-2014, 3:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Just curious but does the scope perform a box test accurately? Maybe it is just cosmetic.
Old 03-31-2014, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelogic View Post
Just curious but does the scope perform a box test accurately? Maybe it is just cosmetic.
Haven't gotten that far. I'll start testing those things once all the equipment right. It might be ok but why start with something that is clearly not right. My concern is that if the if the reticle is rotated now, what else is wrong with it that I'll have to fight with in he future?
Old 03-31-2014, 3:58 PM

Yerman,

What method are you using to ensure the rifle and scope is not canted. Keep in mind the lil bubble levels are not accurate at all. They are + - in degrees.

Do you use feeler gauges to level the scope on the rail?

Old 03-31-2014, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Yerman,

What method are you using to ensure the rifle and scope is not canted. Keep in mind the lil bubble levels are not accurate at all. They are + - in degrees.

Do you use feeler gauges to level the scope on the rail?
Technically, it doesn't matter. If I put the scope in a vise and adjust the scope so it is perfectly leveled with a plumb bob, the turret caps (or the flat part of the bottom of the scope) is not level.

My problem is not mounting the scope. It's that the crosshairs and the scope body are not aligned. This is confirmed with a plumb bob.

But to answer your question, If I use feeler gauges to mount the scope perfectly level with the rail, the reticle is rotated.

Also, flipping a bubble level around 180 degrees will confirm its accuracy.

Last edited by Yerman; 03-31-2014 at 7:27 PM..
Old 03-31-2014, 4:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
I don't know his opinion, but Vortex is okay for entry level. True operators will only rely on Barska and NcStar for their stellar quality.
haha, negative (but I think you're being sarcastic). Vortex is fine, but you get what you pay for... it's not gonna deliver Nightforce performance for 729$. Get what you can afford until 1. it's not good enough for what you need/want it to do... or 2. you can afford nicer stuff

Last edited by Packy14; 03-31-2014 at 4:16 PM..
Old 03-31-2014, 4:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
see above.

A rough (but pretty accurate) way to determine if you should buy a scope and expect good QC... would you buy a car from the country this scope is being made. If your answer is no... maybe you should reconsider your purchase... or as above, get what you can afford until you need/want/can afford better.

Last edited by Packy14; 03-31-2014 at 4:18 PM..
Old 03-31-2014, 5:02 PM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
haha, negative (but I think you're being sarcastic). Vortex is fine, but you get what you pay for... it's not gonna deliver Nightforce performance for 729$. Get what you can afford until 1. it's not good enough for what you need/want it to do... or 2. you can afford nicer stuff
Yes, I was being sarcastic. However, I do think the PST FFP 6-24x50 is an excellent scope for wimpy calibers like the .308 Winchester. It'll provide pretty much the same performance as a much higher dollar scope within the confines of SA cartridges. It's perfect for most .308s since it will run out of elevation near the point of bullet destabilization, which is generally a little past 1km for 24-26" .308s. The glass isn't good, but it is fine for that range. If you want to shoot big boy guns, then you need to step up on glass. There are decent options around $1,000 that are fine for shooting inside 1km (the PST has lots of features, but not good glass, so it's just a balance of what you want). Going to a more pricey NF, is merely a luxury for most practical applications, not a necessity. IMHO, I'd skip the NFs and spend a little more if the situation warrants it.
Old 03-31-2014, 5:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes, I was being sarcastic. However, I do think the PST FFP 6-24x50 is an excellent scope for wimpy calibers like the .308 Winchester. It'll provide pretty much the same performance as a much higher dollar scope within the confines of SA cartridges. It's perfect for most .308s since it will run out of elevation near the point of bullet destabilization, which is generally a little past 1km for 24-26" .308s. The glass isn't good, but it is fine for that range. If you want to shoot big boy guns, then you need to step up on glass. There are decent options around $1,000 that are fine for shooting inside 1km (the PST has lots of features, but not good glass, so it's just a balance of what you want). Going to a more pricey NF, is merely a luxury for most practical applications, not a necessity. IMHO, I'd skip the NFs and spend a little more if the situation warrants it.
I agree, there are some good options for ~1K. The nice stuff costs $$$$ (US Optics or >). NF is just durable. I've seen alot of basic poor quality control issues from Vortex, but low price has many followers.
Old 03-31-2014, 6:05 PM
Veteran Member

OP, if your turret is canted slight, there's "nothing wrong with it". Most scopes don't have a reticle that aligns perfectly with a turret screw. That includes all my scopes from sub $300 to $4K.

You CAN NOT level a reticle using a level on top of a turret.

The only thing the reticle needs to be level to is the EARTH, nothing else.

And as for your Vortex Viper, there's nothing wrong with it, it's a great scope for the money. I used to own one and liked it very much.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 03-31-2014, 6:13 PM
Veteran Member

BUT having said that, when you run your box test, i suppose a canted turret "could" make for strange adjustments, but you won't know until you run the test. But it could also just be cosmetic. Best of luck to you.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 03-31-2014, 6:17 PM

Thanks for the input everyone.

As a reminder, I am leveling the scope with a plumb bob, not the turret. The turret canted is something I noticed after properly aligning the scope.
Old 03-31-2014, 6:23 PM
Veteran Member

Before you get all frustrated, level the turret with your plumb bob, then change the elevation, if it tracks plumb, then who cares if the scope caps are level

PM me for electrical work
Old 03-31-2014, 6:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You forgot BSA's stellar quality & pricepoint! You know, for the dudes that rinse & re-use papertowels.
Old 03-31-2014, 7:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB1964 View Post
You forgot BSA's stellar quality & pricepoint! You know, for the dudes that rinse & re-use papertowels.
my favorite brand! lol.
Old 03-31-2014, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB1964 View Post
Real operators run Countersniper... BSA is for regular army. :P
Old 03-31-2014, 8:25 PM

I sent my 1-4PST for the same issue, canted reticle, got it back fixed and for some reason the reticle is now brighter when using the illumination. I was kind of disappointed on how long it took, it was 6 days before they started working on it. Millet didn't take as long and sent me a brand new scope, maybe that's why they didn't take as long.
Old 03-31-2014, 8:50 PM

Quote:
I agree, there are some good options for ~1K. The nice stuff costs $$$$ (US Optics or >). NF is just durable. I've seen alot of basic poor quality control issues from Vortex, but low price has many followers.

Don't know how many optics you are around, but I've seen a lot more high dollar scopes with issues than low dollar.

And I've seen EVERY brand go down from NF, S&Bs, USO, you name it, and I am sure we have broken a few of each.

I've owned a PST and its a great piece of glass for under 1K, and the Bushnell 3-21s are pretty slick for around 1150.00

Point being that every brand and every optic will eventually have issues if they are used like they are suppose to be used and not safe queens.

Last edited by Vu 308; 04-01-2014 at 7:17 AM..
Old 03-31-2014, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Technically, it doesn't matter. If I put the scope in a vise and adjust the scope so it is perfectly leveled with a plumb bob, the turret caps (or the flat part of the bottom of the scope) is not level.

My problem is not mounting the scope. It's that the crosshairs and the scope body are not aligned. This is confirmed with a plumb bob.

But to answer your question, If I use feeler gauges to mount the scope perfectly level with the rail, the reticle is rotated.

Also, flipping a bubble level around 180 degrees will confirm its accuracy.
Call them up and they'll take care of it I am sure. If you run into any issues drop me a PM.

Vortex is a great company with some sweet stuff for all budgets IMO.

Old 03-31-2014, 9:29 PM

Call Vortex and explain the issue. I've always had outstanding service with them. They will make it right.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
Real operators run Countersniper... BSA is for regular army. :P
lol, oh no you didn't.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Cool

Quote:
Don't know how many optics you are around, but I've seen a lot more high dollar scopes with issues than low dollar.

And I've seen EVERY brand go down from NF, S&Bs, USO, you name it, and I am sure we have broken a few of each.

I've owned a PST and its a great piece of glass for under 1K, and the Bushnell 3-21s are pretty slick for around 1150.00

Point being that every brand and every optic will eventually have issues if they are used like they are suppose to be used and not safe queens.
You got me. I've never seen a scope, let alone held or used one. Heck, I don't even own a gun.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You got me. I've never seen a scope, let alone held or used one. Heck, I don't even own a gun.
Finally, a post where you don't sound like you're talking out of your ***
Old 04-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

I get it, everyone wants to feel good about what they have. That's cool. Personally I'd buy a Bushnell or Burris over any Vortex ever. Forget talking about high $$ scopes. But, to each his own. I know Vortex is the darling of calguns.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:19 PM

Just spoke with Scott at Vortex. Supper nice guy and very professional. I'm going to try a few things then likely send the scope back in. I'm confident that they will take care of me. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-01-2014, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Just spoke with Scott at Vortex. Supper nice guy and very professional. I'm going to try a few things then likely send the scope back in. I'm confident that they will take care of me. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-01-2014, 2:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm glad they are taking care of you.
Old 04-01-2014, 2:42 PM
Internet Warrior

Damn, if only Glock made riflescopes...
Old 04-02-2014, 1:26 PM
Fleeing with Tail Between Legs

Quote:
From personal experience in owning Zeiss, Leupold, and Burris, Vortex is far from a Chinese toy, and like others have mentioned are not even made in China to begin with. All of their optics are excellent for the money, some cost well over $1000 and they are worth every penny. I have a feeling the op had a rare bad experience, and i'm sure if they contact Vortex management about the issue everything will be resolved. If they contact them *****ing and complaining..maybe not, but they are an honest company and they make great products. I switched out my Zeiss for one of their scopes if that means anything. Sounds like everything is going to be fine after all, and that is exactly what I expected. Now Lucid...they may make another great "budget" optic, but their customer service (I spoke with their owner) needs some help.

Last edited by Brave Sir Robin; 04-02-2014 at 1:29 PM..
Old 04-02-2014, 1:27 PM
Fleeing with Tail Between Legs

Quote:
Damn, if only Glock made riflescopes...
But who would want a rifle scope chocked full of more plastic than a set of legos. Just pullin your leg, i love my glock and I would trust my life to any of their handguns; they're not just much of an ergonomic fit for me.

Last edited by Brave Sir Robin; 04-02-2014 at 1:30 PM..
Old 04-03-2014, 6:25 AM
CGSSA Leader

If glock made a scope I wouldn't buy it, it would probably be made out of plastic, and Vortex may be the darling of some of us but not all of us...
Old 04-03-2014, 8:15 AM
Veteran Member

I agree in that Vortex does not make the best scopes on the market, but they really gave all the other scope makers notice. They changed the face of the tactical scope industry.

They said, "We can make a product that has all the bells and whistles that people want at a much lower price point while still maintaining decent quality, and you know what, if it breaks or isn't to your liking, we'll repair or replace it for free."

It was vastly different from the attitude of a lot of scope builders at the time. It created a safe used buying environment and increased resale value.

I commend Vortex for it and am glad they exist.

Their Viper line is actually quite decent even though it's made in the Phillipines.

I currently own a 5-20x50mm Razor which was made in Japan... (On the same line that produces Nightforce or so rumors have it) and am actually quite astounded by the level of quality. I can't imagine it being a factor in me missing a shot, and I say this as a guy whose majority of scopes are S&B, Premier, Steiner, Nightforce.

On top of it all, Vortex keeps stepping it up... the new Razor II line looks like it will be AWESOME at the price point. Basically everything you'd get from a $4K scope for $2500... except perfect glass and weight. I plan to pick one up.

Anyhow, sorry for the derail... OP Vortex will get you sorted out, don't worry about it. Bet they'll even pay for shipping.
Old 04-03-2014, 8:43 AM

Quote:

--NO CHARGE--
300xxxx

I would like to know....what type of mounting system are you using for your scope.....it might not be the scope at all.....the mounts are just as important if not more important than the scope itself....I only use american defense quick detach scope mounts...a good quality proven system...it could be your mounts.

Last edited by stag6.8; 04-03-2014 at 8:50 AM..