Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-28-2014, 4:52 AM

Default Citizens vs. Bank Robbers: Marksmen won

"Eureka Springs Gunfight Showed Marksmanship of Armed Citizens

Recently, a video of a Eureka Springs, Arkansas City Council meeting showed them to be a little hostile to armed citizens. It was not always so. Because of that article, I became aware of one of the great examples of armed citizens stopping a criminal gang in the commission of a bank robbery.

I am talking about a famous attempted bank robbery that occurred 46 years later, in 1922, in Eureka Springs itself. The robbers attempted to rob the First National Bank at 40 Spring Street. Here is a contemporary account from the Wichita Eagle that was printed a couple of days after the event:

Five bandits robbed the bank the other day and thought things were going about as usual. But just as they headed for their car at the curb, in the customary manner, they suddenly realized that they had made a mistake. They were in Arkansas! No helpless crowd of hopeless citizens stood agape while the dashing bandits sailed right out of their ken like a meteor on a starry night. That's not the way they do it in Arkansas. Two pedestrians on the way to visit a sick friend saw what was going on and stepped inside the hank door in time to open the battle with a few well directed bullets toward the bandit's vital organs. A lawyer in an office overhead said to his earnest client, "excuse me a moment please," stepped to a front window and put a half dozen bullets where they would do the most good. A dentist asked his patient to keep open wide please just one moment, and rested his rifle on the window sill long enough to make sure that at least one of the bandits would fail to leave town that day. A school boy hustling home to lunch whipped out his automatic and joined the attack."

Now the merchants began issuing from the lunch counters and their kitchens. Each individual had his pistol spitting fire and steel as soon as he came within range. And not an innocent bystander was scratched. No wild shooting down at Eureka Springs. Needless to add, not one of the five bandits got away, and all the money, $70,000, was carried back into the bank . . . " Full article at
http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2014/03...ht-showed.html
Old 03-28-2014, 4:57 AM

excellent
Old 03-28-2014, 5:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Outstanding. Hope they all died.
Old 03-28-2014, 6:31 AM
Veteran Member

i dont know. i didnt read the article but
Quote:
A school boy hustling home to lunch whipped out his automatic and joined the attack
sounds a little far fetched to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
we never had the problems in CA till the whiteys took over. We used to hunt, fish, roam, then they showed up and wanted to be civilized.............Ruined it for everyone!
Old 03-28-2014, 7:49 AM
OT Banned
CGN Contributor

I also doubt the veracity of the article. Something is wrong with the timeline also. It mentions 46 years later and 1922. So is that 1968 or, how it's written, 1876?
Old 03-28-2014, 8:14 AM

It is an excerpt that refers to another robbery earlier in the full article - perhaps that confused the timeline.
Old 03-28-2014, 9:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Everyone that lived in LA knows criminals are the worst shots. They don't practice.
Old 03-28-2014, 9:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKinzey View Post
I also doubt the veracity of the article. Something is wrong with the timeline also. It mentions 46 years later and 1922. So is that 1968 or, how it's written, 1876?
YouTube was just a little startup back then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 03-28-2014, 9:48 AM

I wouldn't shoot to save some corporation's money. Bank accounts are insured, let the insurance pay up, and let the FBI chase the robbers.

Plus, you'd probably go to jail (and lose your RKBA forever), since your life wasn't in danger -- the bad guys are running away with money, you let them continue to run away. The further away they are, the safer you are. If they give you some reason to believe they are going to harm you or someone else, OK, that's a different situation.

The gunfight in the article is from a time long past, and a poor example for us, almost 100 years later.
Old 03-28-2014, 9:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^^^^In 1922 there was no insurance. No fdic. Surprising coming from someone with that amount of posts.
Old 03-28-2014, 9:57 AM
Veteran Member

That is too cool.
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 03-29-2014, 6:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

once upon a time, there were citizens that claimed ownership to their towns.
Old 03-29-2014, 6:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Fast forward to 1997 Los Angeles.

Pathetic unarmed citizens.

If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government --and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws
Edward Abbey
Old 03-29-2014, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
^^^^In 1922 there was no insurance. No fdic. Surprising coming from someone with that amount of posts.
Yep, it was also when the dollar was backed by gold, unlike today where the dollar is pretty worthless.
There is no week nor day nor hour, when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their supreme confidence in themselves -- and lose their roughness and spirit of defiance -- Tyranny may always enter -- there is no charm, no bar against it -- the only bar against it is a large resolute breed of men.

-Walt Whitman
Old 03-29-2014, 8:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrix View Post
Yep, it was also when the dollar was backed by gold, unlike today where the dollar is pretty worthless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCHCf8qY4so
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 03-29-2014, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrix View Post
Feel free to send me all those worthless dollars you have lying around and I'll put them to good use.

What "automatic" was a kid carrying around in 1922?
Old 03-29-2014, 8:33 AM
Calguns Addict

In the 20s and 30s the Feds actually issued firearms to banks for robbery protection. The banks were then free to hand receipt the firearms out to the local businesses as they saw best. There were several instances of running gun battles with bandits when the local merchants turned out with the bank issued firearms after the bandits robbed the bank.

the arms were usually previous generation issue arms such as the Colt .38 revolver, Krag rifles, Colt and S&W 1917 .45s and the like.

I have a lengthy article in an old gun magazine about this. The robberies were concentrated in the mid-west so that's where the firearms were sent. The banks weren't forced to issue the arms, some just put them in the vault and left them there. However many issued them to the tellers and they were expected to use them.

Those were the days!

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper

I'm a seven percenter
Old 03-29-2014, 9:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
I wouldn't shoot to save some corporation's money. Bank accounts are insured, let the insurance pay up, and let the FBI chase the robbers.

Plus, you'd probably go to jail (and lose your RKBA forever), since your life wasn't in danger -- the bad guys are running away with money, you let them continue to run away. The further away they are, the safer you are. If they give you some reason to believe they are going to harm you or someone else, OK, that's a different situation.

The gunfight in the article is from a time long past, and a poor example for us, almost 100 years later.
I don't think they were insured back then..

Fun story nonetheless..
"Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Theodore Roosevelt

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 03-29-2014, 9:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherDog View Post
Feel free to send me all those worthless dollars you have lying around and I'll put them to good use.

What "automatic" was a kid carrying around in 1922?
1911?

writers often use the term "automatic" to refer to technically "semi-auto" weapons..
"Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Theodore Roosevelt

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight