Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-13-2008, 2:12 AM

Default Air Guns | Backyard shooting | VID BLASTING THROUGH MY IRON GRILL | **PICS ADDED** |

Well I've got a couple Drozd fully automatic airguns, an FX Monsoon semi automatic .22 pellet gun, Talon Tunes .22 Tuned Condor with Full Barrel Shroud, Bodi Tuned .22 Talon and a Talon SS. All great for backyard plinking, but at my last house my ghetto neighbors would be all "Yo Weezy, dat crackuh shootin' his bb gun again mayn!" So i wouldn't do it that often. Haven't shot then at my new house at all.

The condor gets 32gr .22 pellets @ 1200 fps, single shot. Blows clean through 2x4's! Barrel shroud off sounds like a .22LR, with the shroud on you can only hear the hammer hit. Pretty awesome.

FX Monsoon shoots 21gr .22 pellets at 1000 fps, not shabby for the only semi auto pellet rifle! damn powerful, I have an old grill and it blew holes clean through it, totally shatters wine and beer bottles in one shot, almost no fun at all. haha.

The drozd only shoots metal bb's at about 550-650fps - I've got a bulk fill adapter so it doesn't use co2 and uses compressed air so gets an extra 100fps from that, plus longer barrel for another 50+fps. only puts tiny dings in the grill, doesn't penetrate but still fun to shoot fully auto.

I know most county ordinances prohibit even airguns being fired which sucks, they make great training aides when i did use them, help with trigger control and acquiring target.

Anyways that's all. Just wondering if anyone else used airgun in yoru backyard.
Old 03-13-2008, 2:36 AM

I put a hole through a HUGE bug in the backyard with a Gamo delta (youth air rifle. It's pretty weak, but quiet enough to keep the neighbors happy)....the bug turned out to be a hummingbird....It was a hell of a shot, but I still feel terrible about it...I mainly just shoot stationary things like bad eggs and cans now
Old 03-13-2008, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobjoe View Post
I put a hole through a HUGE bug in the backyard with a Gamo delta (youth air rifle. It's pretty weak, but quiet enough to keep the neighbors happy)....the bug turned out to be a hummingbird....It was a hell of a shot, but I still feel terrible about it...I mainly just shoot stationary things like bad eggs and cans now
hahahah - i used to shoot and I HATE crows, loud fckers when you pop them too! They used to come down and eat my dog's food, and that stuff isn't cheap either, so when they came I'd shoot 'em. blow right through them but crows are tough buggers. . .

man hummingbirds are quick, good shot!
Old 03-13-2008, 2:52 AM

Can't find my AirForce guns - too tipsy to dig through the garage - here's my baby Monsoon and .22 pellet vs 22lr Federal

Old 03-13-2008, 5:09 AM

Be careful shooting in your backyard...

Quote:
246.3 PC: (a) Except as otherwise authorized by law, any person who
willfully discharges a firearm in a grossly negligent manner which
could result in injury or death to a person is guilty of a public
offense and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not
exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison.
(b) Except as otherwise authorized by law, any person who
willfully discharges a BB device in a grossly negligent manner which
could result in injury or death to a person is guilty of a public
offense and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not
exceeding one year.
(c) As used in this section, "BB device" means any instrument that
expels a projectile, such as a BB or a pellet, through the force of
air pressure, gas pressure, or spring action.

AUDACES FORTUNA JUVAT

"There are those amongst us that live in rooms of experience that you and I can never enter...." - John Steinbeck

There's gotta be one fish down there dumber than I am drunk.
Old 03-13-2008, 7:56 AM

If you've got a Monsoon and an Anuzzi Condor.....I no longer believe your login of being a "BrokeStudent"!!! LOL

Like others have pointed out, shooting in the city could be a big potential problem for you if someone reports it. Make sure you have a Chinese springer to hand over in case you get a knock at the door.

The Monsoon is pretty quiet as it stands. A lot of the noise is actually the action, not the muzzle. If it is a real concern, tune that Condor power down and shoot through a partially open window. It will both put you out of sight and kill any remaining sound before it gets outside. Just make sure that you that you remember to open it enough to correct for the barrel/scope offset!

Good luck. Congrats on some nice modern PCP's.....
Old 03-13-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRider View Post
If you've got a Monsoon and an Anuzzi Condor.....I no longer believe your login of being a "BrokeStudent"!!! LOL
hehehe - SVR ... I recognize that handle, you the one with all the AZ Rapids? I've been wanting an AZ Tuned Theoben for the longest, can't seem to suck it up and dish out the 3k, I'd have to sell both my Monsoon and Condor, but I love my Monsoon too much!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:57 AM

I love my PAG shrouded Rapid

I also have a Monsoon, RWS 54 and a SS
Old 03-13-2008, 10:59 PM

a fully auto bb gun. is it legal to use in orange county? im just not sure about laws on bb guns.
Old 03-14-2008, 8:25 AM

I had an AZ Rapid before....beautiful shooter, but too long at 48" with his LDC....I also had an MFR for a while. I think it is about the best out of the box Rapid (in my eyes)...gets even better if you get a factory "shroud extension"....almost as quiet as the AZ, but looks totally stock (blued steel tha matches the factory shroud).

Nope, I gave them both up. I now have a Monsoon in each caliber. (got them before all the crazy exchange rates, and AoA raising prices so dramatically)

I still have a few others (Gr. III Tarantula, Mac1 spec Viper......and a couple of project guns).....but the Monsoons are just too much darn fun!

Congrats on some nice air power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokestudent12 View Post
hehehe - SVR ... I recognize that handle, you the one with all the AZ Rapids? I've been wanting an AZ Tuned Theoben for the longest, can't seem to suck it up and dish out the 3k, I'd have to sell both my Monsoon and Condor, but I love my Monsoon too much!
Old 03-14-2008, 6:08 PM

Nice, that curbs my craving for a theoben quite a bite knowing you sold yours! How do you like the Monsoon in .177? Been thinking about grabbing one, I love the power the .22 has though, totally shatters bottles in one shot, my other .177's take them apart piece by piece, doesn't completely blow it to hell in one shot lol

Been waiting for that darn MicroBurst-3 to come out, will for sure be picking one of those up!

Dug out the crate in the garage, they really need to be cleaned but here they are!

here's the drozd with longer barrels along with faster rate mod boards installed - empties those 30 bb's darn near twice as fast with the mod boards than stock!

Annuzzi fully tuned Condor/SS - breach knob, tank jeweling, trigger tune, everything he offered (pictured without the LDC on, can't find my ex wrenches)

And the rest of the gang - Condor with the Annuzzi LDC slipped on - forgot how monstrous that thing is!

Last edited by brokestudent12; 03-14-2008 at 6:14 PM..
Old 03-15-2008, 1:39 AM

hehe - found some video shooting up my iron propane grill with the monsoon

Shooting up my Propan Grill

Last edited by brokestudent12; 03-15-2008 at 1:42 AM..
Old 03-15-2008, 2:29 AM
Banned

Those AirForce guns are real heartstoppers. I almost got one, but I bought a bow instead.

I love my Sheridan air rifles. Kinda loud and a couple people actually make silencers for them, but I like them the way they are.

Mine is the top one, my dad's is the bottom one. The bottom one isn't an air rifle, but meh to that.

Old 03-15-2008, 5:47 PM

Default Quietest?

Wow, nice toys!!!

I've always been fascinated with quiet rifles, and with the recent rulings allowing air rifles fitted with lead dust collectors as long as the installation is permanent so they can't be simply unscrewed and used on a powder burner, I have decided to take the plunge.

What would you experienced airheads say is the quietest permanently modded air rifle out there? My intended use would be shooting and even bunny hunting where airguns are legally allowed, but likely in close proximity to people who I wouldn't want to disturb and I wouldn't want to know what I was doing.

I am looking at the offerings from AG of AZ, and note the BSA Ultra repeater with permanent mod, Talon SS, and FX T-12 whisper as possibilities.

All seem to be well reviewed and accurate, but is there one that stands out as being quietest at hunting velocities out of the box? Is there one out of the bunch that can be modified easily (or that I can have modified easily) that will become even quieter?

It sounds from a previous post that a Talon SS can be made so quiet that the hammer dropping is louder than the report???

I am also a stickler for a good trigger. I prefer a two stage with a crisp let off and little overtravel, unless that's asking too much with these guns.
Old 03-16-2008, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy View Post
Wow, nice toys!!!

I've always been fascinated with quiet rifles, and with the recent rulings allowing air rifles fitted with lead dust collectors as long as the installation is permanent so they can't be simply unscrewed and used on a powder burner, I have decided to take the plunge.

What would you experienced airheads say is the quietest permanently modded air rifle out there? My intended use would be shooting and even bunny hunting where airguns are legally allowed, but likely in close proximity to people who I wouldn't want to disturb and I wouldn't want to know what I was doing.

I am looking at the offerings from AG of AZ, and note the BSA Ultra repeater with permanent mod, Talon SS, and FX T-12 whisper as possibilities.

All seem to be well reviewed and accurate, but is there one that stands out as being quietest at hunting velocities out of the box? Is there one out of the bunch that can be modified easily (or that I can have modified easily) that will become even quieter?

It sounds from a previous post that a Talon SS can be made so quiet that the hammer dropping is louder than the report???

I am also a stickler for a good trigger. I prefer a two stage with a crisp let off and little overtravel, unless that's asking too much with these guns.
Here's a sound comparison
1st - .22 Monsoon
2nd - .22 Annuzzi Shrouded Condor
3rd - .22 Stock Talon SS
4th - .22 Unshrouded Condor
5th - .177 Drozd automatic fire

The loudest thing you hear is actually the pellet report hitting the 2x4, loudest thing on the Monsoon is the mechanical action of it cycling the next pellet, but a couple feet away it's not too noticeable like in the vid. So hammer hitting and pellet thwack are actually louder than the report.

For Talon SS out of the box, it's ok, you'd need an Annuzzii shroud to make it SUPER quiet though, you can also use a plastic ring around the hammer for silent operation, totally eliminates the hammer hitting noise!

I shot a friends Rapid a few years back, very quiet and made me wanna get one - here's a youtube video - check out how quiet it is
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tQpsZ1EbZfQ

The FX Whisper is pretty quiet out of the box and doesn't have the cycling noise the monsoon does.

Also call up Pomona Air Guns here in socal, they are really nice and have a ton of stuff and will answer any questions you have.