Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-27-2014, 1:18 AM

Default Taxes done, what to spend on?

So, as the title says, taxes are filed, and I have a bit of a return coming, plus savings that were set aside as the IRS calculator said I was going to owe a bit this year.

Trying to decide what to do. Kids and the wife all have stripped AR lowers they got for Christmas (pre-registration).

My wife and oldest daughter each want their own 22LR rifle for Appleseeds and plinking. My youngest son and I picked up a pair back around October for his birthday when he wanted to get into rifles as handguns were not exactly his thing after a magazine or two.

I was thinking of getting the ladies a pair of Savage 64F semi-autos, like the one I have. Shoots very well for $160. But then I was thinking about registration now, and not too happy about it.

So I was thinking maybe I should get the parts for the ladies to build up their stripped lowers into 22LR caliber ARs. Down the road they can always get the parts to go 5.56/.223, right?

Ballpark, what is the cost for a 22 upper, buffer, stock, etc. to complete a stripped lower? Can I use a standard LPK for an AR with a 22 upper?

At the same time I am thinking I should get into reloading. Looking at doing 9mm first, and then 5.56. Want to eventually get into hand-loading 7mm REM Magnums, maybe 380 ACP for the wife's Bodyguard. Just starting out, cost to get into a do-it-all-at-once Lee type deal for 9mm? Then how much more to get it to 5.56 and/or .223? Not in a huge rush to get into reloading, but probably will by next year. For now, we just save all our brass.

Hah, and the glass I need for my pre-reg rifles will just have to wait another couple years. But progress! The wife is on board with us adding a "firearms" category to the budget and savings account to set aside funds so we have cash on hand as good deals for items on our wishlist come up (we do this for other things, like autos, jewelry, etc., and refuse to go into any debt). Of course this budget line item has to also cover ammo, range membership(s), NRA and other memberships, professional training, and LTC renewals for all the states that have issued to us (plus travel expenses for those that require in-person training/requalifications)... Wow, who knew a year ago that getting into firearms was going to cost so much? A couple of Glocks for $499 seemed so inexpensive (actually, at the time that seemed like a lot, but two would be all we needed, and we'd be set... Riiiight)!

Last edited by Jason95357; 03-27-2014 at 1:21 AM..
Old 03-28-2014, 1:26 AM

I would build the ARs.

To make it simple all you need to convert a .223 AR to shoot 22lr is the 22lr bolt and magazine. Many sites sell them as a kit so just do a little research. Thats it.

As far as reloading an all inclusive kit would be a good route. Watch a lot of videos on youtube about it. I would go with a 3 hole turret and not a fancy progressive press so you get the basics down. And if you want to load other calibers you would just need dies and for rifles a case length trimming guage. But again, do a lot research before.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Real Estate Agent
RE/MAX

Cell: (818) 926-3616
scvhomestore.com

corysanchez25@gmail.com

CalBRE #01976864
Old 03-28-2014, 1:48 AM

Buy gold and silver eagles
Old 03-28-2014, 1:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40calibre View Post
Buy gold and silver eagles
No.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 03-28-2014, 2:07 AM
Calguns Addict

1.put a certain percentage into a college fund for the kids future.

2. Build out the lowers at least. Get a normal upper and a .22 conversion kit.

3. Reloading is a great plan, but plan on spending more that you think for the extras and components.

4. Don't fret much on the State knowing you have guns. They know already. Not much you can do about it except move to a free State like Arizona.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 03-28-2014, 2:15 AM

If I was you I would get an independent .22lr like the savage 64 or marlin 60. Both absolutely wonderful guns.

It will be cheaper and you wont be ocd about cleaning them after every trip like u will be with your AR.

$200 BUCKS and you fill your safe with another heirloom.
Old 03-28-2014, 2:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just bought a dedicated .22lr upper from VC Defense for about $400. Conversion kits are OK, but the correct 1-16 barrel, BCG, and CH is better.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:45 PM

Getting back $4,700, all of which will be turned into Euros pending a trip to Italy this September.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:13 AM

I would suggest putting that money in you savings account, and not touching it.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:14 AM

Save for a rainy day.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:30 AM

Buy ammo.