Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:01 AM

Default AR15 7.62 x 39 upper: headache or not?

Is an AR-15 upper in 7.62 x 39 worth the trouble? Have they improved and are there reliable magazines out there now?

I do not care for AK platforms. Personal preference, not against them.

Why am I asking?
Ammo price and availability.

If it's too problematic, I'll just buy an AK and shove it in the safe for a SHTF plan if that ever happens.

"Let them hate so long as they fear."
Old 03-26-2014, 11:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I've heard they can be finicky. You would be better off buying a Sig 556R. Contrary to what the uninformed claim, it is not based off the AK-47 series of rifles. It is a US made clone of the SG550 series of Swiss rifles. These rifles are very reliable and are quite accurate. The barrel is nitride treated (commonly called Melonite). This is much harder than chrome lining and will last for 10's of thousands of rounds without needing to be replaced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_SG_550

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 03-26-2014, 11:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I personally like the Sig 7.62x39 version better than the 7.62x39 AR. That aside, I work with a guy that builds 7.62x39 uppers and his seem to work really well. I haven't heard of any problems yet.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:39 AM

Are there any Sig 556R in 7.62 x 39 in California/have been configured for California?
Is the price insane?
I see a list price (Atlantic Firearms) of $1299 but are they marked up really bad in California?
That definitely looks like a better idea, especially using regular AK mags and I do like Sig.
I have a Sig 522. I know it's different than it's big brothers but it has great ergonomics and fun to shoot.

Last edited by desrt2; 03-26-2014 at 11:44 AM..
Old 03-26-2014, 11:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

There are 556R rifles in this state that have been made compliant. All that a dealer has to do is add a bullet button and pin the folding stock (requires removing one pin and putting a block inside the spring, non-destructive and easily reversable). You can probably find a slightly used one for less than MSRP. I got my Sig 556 Patrol used for $700, and it hadn't even been shot yet. You should be able to find a 556R for around $1000. They're worth it. Sacramento Black Rifle can probably get one for you.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

Last edited by JDay; 03-26-2014 at 11:51 AM..
Old 03-26-2014, 12:43 PM

I wouldn't give mine up for anything, I liked it so much I have 2. Run like a champ and at about 22 cents around I'm having a blast

http://sotaarms.com/component/jshopp...w/2/5?Itemid=0

ratled

Last edited by ratled; 03-26-2014 at 12:45 PM..
Old 03-26-2014, 12:54 PM

How about the Ruger mini-30? You don't need a bullet button with that one, either.
Old 03-26-2014, 1:04 PM

to make 7.62 x 39 run reliably in an AR, you need more than just an upper. Since it has a 124 gr bullet vs. 55 gr you will need a heavy buffer (I use a Spikes Tactical buffer) and a Wolff XS buffer spring. If you are running cheap comblock ammo you will also need a Model1 Sales 7.62 x 39 enhanced firing pin. A Wolff XS hammer spring is also recommended.

Mine eats cheap ammo all day long. Never any hiccups

I have a older mini-30 and it runs fine but it just isn't as accurate as the AR.
Member #46312
Old 03-26-2014, 1:10 PM
Veteran Member

I have one and it's my favorite rifle. I built it because I had a substantial amount of ammo for my SKS rifles that I got back when it was cheap.

Some folks are used to just slapping AR parts together and they just work. Well after 50 years of platform refinement I would hope so! The AR was never designed to shoot the x39 cartridge so there are some challenges. No doubt you will need to tweak & tune a bit to get things just right.

I built mine as a carbine with an adjustable gas block. The carbine allows the rifle to be "over gassed" but the adj. gas block allows you to tune it down to where it works perfectly. Some users have had issues with light primer strikes due to hard primers with a standard hammer spring - a heavy hammer spring usually takes care of that. I had a somewhat unique problem... popped primers (different than pierced primers). Finally solved it by having the sharp edge of the firing pin hole in the bolt face radiused to relieve the sharpness. Problem solved. I used MGI's reliability bolt and it seems to work great.

Magazines can be an issue. Stiffness of the mag walls is important to keep the rounds from jamming up in the mag well. I've had good luck with C-Products generally speaking. I've heard ASC are good too.

If you think you may ever shoot some corrosive surplus ammo, a stainless or chrome barrel bore is nice to have.

Build it! Shoot it! I love mine and with a bit of patience and perseverance, you can love yours too!
Old 03-26-2014, 1:29 PM

Or wait for the new Sig 556 xi modular rifle.

http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDe...i-russian.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdTuJ27vEeQ
Old 03-27-2014, 9:32 AM

Just talked to Sacramento Black Rifle.
Sounds like they are pretty cool.
They don't have any Sig 556R's (7.62 x 39) and to the sales person's knowledge, haven't had an R model but they only charge $75 xfer, $25 DROS and CA sales tax. So that's pretty good.
Potentially $1400 out the door.
I've already sold one kidney on the black market so I'll need to find a donor to sell theirs so I can buy one.
In the name of freedom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
There are 556R rifles in this state that have been made compliant. All that a dealer has to do is add a bullet button and pin the folding stock (requires removing one pin and putting a block inside the spring, non-destructive and easily reversable). You can probably find a slightly used one for less than MSRP. I got my Sig 556 Patrol used for $700, and it hadn't even been shot yet. You should be able to find a 556R for around $1000. They're worth it. Sacramento Black Rifle can probably get one for you.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Calguns Addict

You do realize that it will take over 9k rounds down the pipe with a 1400 dollar rifle to break even with your cost savings plan? Not counting the cost of those rounds either.
Old 03-27-2014, 1:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceghost View Post
You do realize that it will take over 9k rounds down the pipe with a 1400 dollar rifle to break even with your cost savings plan? Not counting the cost of those rounds either.

Although it's nice that x39 ammo is inexpensive, I built my x39 AR because I like the cartridge (for reasons other than cost) and I like the AR platform.

I am not trying to "recoup cost" I am just enjoying owning and shooting it. It has become my go-to defensive rifle and although I have no idea how much money I saved/spent/invested I can tell you that from a satisfaction point of view, it has been worth every penny.
Old 03-27-2014, 1:27 PM

Like bruss01, I'm not concerned with recovering cost.

1.) Availability and price of ammo. I can buy a lot more 7.62 x 39 than 7.62 x 51 and there's more out there. 7.62 x 51 and .308 is still obnoxiously expensive. $360 for $200 rounds of Federal? Stupid.

2.) I want the caliber because it's probably the most common in the world. We throw down a lot of 7.62 x 51 and 5.56 x 45 but that's due to the crew support weapons eating up ammo.

3.) I already have 6 AR15's in 5.56, a G3 in 7.62 x 51 and an M1A in 7.62 x 51. Plus the ammo.
I still need about 5 cases of .308 to be comfortable but that will take a while.

Being able to feed from AK magazines is a big plus.

Old 03-27-2014, 3:10 PM
Calguns Addict

If you simply want a new fun gun in 7.62x39, just say so. In your first post you made cost of ammo sound like a big concern. I was simply pointing out that it would take a lot of cost savings to break even.

I understand the need for a new toy, all too well. Diversification on the rifle calibers you can shoot, I can understand that too.

I didn't mean to rain on your parade, I just wanted to put some perspective on how much money you would be investing trying to save money on ammo.
Old 03-27-2014, 3:15 PM

I'm putting the pieces together for one myself. I think in the beginning, they were a PITA, but the mags have been sorted out, as well as stronger bolt components.
Unless you are from the Brady Bunch.