Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:08 AM

Besides of the regular cans (tuna, chicken, chili, soup, low sodium spam, etc...), I also stock up some gourmet types like octopus in olive oil (one of my favorites.)

The ones I have are imported from Spain, and are not cheap -- however, it brings psychological pleasure during SHTF time (yes, I've experienced it before), has a good source of protein, contains nice dose of monounsaturated fatty acids (olive oil), tastes good (great, actually), and can add to salad/rice/beans/spaghetti/bread as a meal.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:17 AM

Tagged. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2014, 12:42 AM

+1 for gourmet stockpiling!

Have a can of CMMG bacon in the earthquake kit, but haven't tried it yet.
Trader Joes also has Indian food that comes in metal foil pouches (practically MRE style) that can be heated or eaten cold. Trader Joe's also has canned trout, which makes a great alternative to canned chicken. The wife hates the Dinty Moore, but she does like canned smoked oysters.

Also in the earthquake kit/ bug-in kit is freeze dried coffee, sweetened condensed milk, and pop-tarts...
Old 03-19-2014, 7:46 AM

Nalley, Dinty, La Choy w/extra chestnuts, tamalies are an easy goto. Costco chicken and tuna are winners.

Found a can of beans in the back of the cabinet that was 8yrs old, no ballooning, so I tried it. No problems - but thats why I keep a good stock of fresh spices.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 03-19-2014, 8:48 AM

Default Beyond hearty

Lived on this through some tough times back in the day.

On top of

*** Caveat ****

Requires about a half a can of water.

Regards,
Mike
Old 03-19-2014, 9:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro6golf View Post
I buy Spam and Dinty Moore large cans. If society really collapses and you cant buy food anymore and your hungry, you wont care about a 7 year old can of spam and dinty moore.
Yep, think I have 30 lbs of spam now but dread the day I ever have to start BBQing the stuff and eat it.

I'm moving toward the 30 year commercial stuff now, eggs, milk, butter, grains, freeze dried fruits. Just want to buy it and forget it but the meals have so much sodium I leery to buy much.

Spam and peanut butter are my go to protein for the most part. Don't forget your cocoa, gotta make CAKE with no ice cream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpFopWtcu8E

Got PM's?

Deaths at Sandy Hook....FBI says ZERO

http://humansarefree.com/2015/10/fbi...andy-hook.html
Old 03-20-2014, 1:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfdocster View Post
+1 for gourmet stockpiling!

Have a can of CMMG bacon in the earthquake kit, but haven't tried it yet.
Trader Joes also has Indian food that comes in metal foil pouches (practically MRE style) that can be heated or eaten cold. Trader Joe's also has canned trout, which makes a great alternative to canned chicken. The wife hates the Dinty Moore, but she does like canned smoked oysters.

Also in the earthquake kit/ bug-in kit is freeze dried coffee, sweetened condensed milk, and pop-tarts...
I think their canned smoked herring is even better.

The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.
Old 03-22-2014, 6:16 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

I keep quite a bit of canned food in regular rotation. Soups, tuna, chicken, beans, etc. I don't worry too much about expiration dates, but do monitor the condition of the cans.

I bought some multi-packs of SPAM some time ago. After being on the shelf for about 6 months, several of the cans swelled up within a few days of each other. I popped one open and it smelled normal, but I tossed it all. It must have been a bad lot.

Senate Public Safety Chair Loni Hancock:
"Yeah, we do that quite a lot, actually..."

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016