Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-07-2014, 5:15 PM

Default Thoughts on this ruger price?

Hi guys, first and foremost I am new to this forum and an obvious novice when it comes to rifles and firearms in general . Definitely excited to have found this forum, there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people on here based on the few threads that I have read!

On to the point, I was browsing through big 5 sporting, and noticed they had a stainless steel mini-14 ruger for $850 sale. I was browsing around the few gun sites that I've come across, and the price seems about right. What are your thoughts on the price, and the rifle in general? Purpose would be for home defense and occasional hunting. I'll definitely consider changing the 5 clip mag size in the future. If there are any other deals, or perhaps, if you guys want to advise on other rifles (looking for semi autos, .233) please feel free to let me know. Thank you!!!
Old 03-07-2014, 5:27 PM

Smile Welcome aboard!

Although the mini 14 is a great rifle, you can build/buy a better AR to run the same round for the same if not less $ (or can easily spend more )...

I'd say get an AR first, then get the Mini as well later.

For HD, consider a SG and/or side arm w/torch.
Old 03-07-2014, 5:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liuenka View Post
Hi guys, first and foremost I am new to this forum and an obvious novice when it comes to rifles and firearms in general . Definitely excited to have found this forum, there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people on here based on the few threads that I have read!

On to the point, I was browsing through big 5 sporting, and noticed they had a stainless steel mini-14 ruger for $850 sale. I was browsing around the few gun sites that I've come across, and the price seems about right. What are your thoughts on the price, and the rifle in general? Purpose would be for home defense and occasional hunting. I'll definitely consider changing the 5 clip mag size in the future. If there are any other deals, or perhaps, if you guys want to advise on other rifles (looking for semi autos, .233) please feel free to let me know. Thank you!!!

the mini 14 is a fine rifle, but there are better. have you considered an AR? some pluses for the AR are: its modularity, takes standard mags (not proprietary ones like the mini-14), the AR is more ergonomic and there are many options to choose from in terms of swapping uppers/calibers.

the 223/5.56 is a poor fit for home defense (unless you live in the sticks and your nearest beighbor is 5 miles away in every direction).

the mini 14 will also take 5.56, but the AR will too (unless the barrel says otherwise)

mags for the AR are CHEAP and plentiful.

Last edited by AK Junkie; 03-07-2014 at 5:29 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-07-2014, 6:56 PM

The Mini is a excellent carbine weighing in at 6 lbs 12oz unloaded. It is extremely reliable and the stainless is almost impervious to anything, won't rust and easy to maintain. It's piston actuated so it runs extremely clean. I usually shoot 300 rds per outing and when I go to clean the gun, the receiver is almost spotless. The biggest thing going for it is that it doesn't require a bullet button. I'm lucky in that I have a 25 year old one and a new one. The 20 and 30 rd mags from my old one fits in the new one as well so it's a blast to run 20 -30 rds through and drop mags without a BB. The new ones are very accurate.
Old 03-07-2014, 7:08 PM

I picked one up in the 80's and I love it, I have never had a problem with it.
But I may have to part with it, I just bought a new truck and I need a bed cover for it, I will miss her.
Old 03-07-2014, 9:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxl View Post
The Mini is a excellent carbine weighing in at 6 lbs 12oz unloaded. It is extremely reliable and the stainless is almost impervious to anything, won't rust and easy to maintain. It's piston actuated so it runs extremely clean. I usually shoot 300 rds per outing and when I go to clean the gun, the receiver is almost spotless. The biggest thing going for it is that it doesn't require a bullet button. I'm lucky in that I have a 25 year old one and a new one. The 20 and 30 rd mags from my old one fits in the new one as well so it's a blast to run 20 -30 rds through and drop mags without a BB. The new ones are very accurate.
I'd say set your target price at $749 that is a common price now.

I think they are a good option. YES NO BULLET BUTTON. Sure the 30 round AR mags are plentiful, but here now you'd most likely be hunting for 10's or expensive blocked ones. Keltec SU-16's will also take those AR mags and not require a BB.

Mini's are nice if you already have mags or just don't want to have to use a tool to remove a mag. My old 186 series shoots good, but the new ones have a redesigned barrel with less whip so that's one major historical negative minimized with the mini's.

I hate neutered AR's. Most new shooters only care about the rifle looking cool, but hopefully that will wear off if they actually shoot.

Last edited by crufflers; 03-07-2014 at 9:14 PM..
Old 03-08-2014, 5:22 AM
Banned

Using frangible ammo and the .223/5.56 is the BEST HD round there is. Seen video on interior wall penetration where the frangible penetrated less then .22 , 9mm or 12g.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:42 PM

Good rifle and if you're not into or do not want an AR, this is a good way to go. Advantages include light, compact, minimal recoil, no BB, can mount a scope or mini red dot, and fun to shoot. Just make sure and wait till they go on sale at Big 5.
Old 03-08-2014, 1:54 PM
Veteran Member

Mini 14s are great rifles but another option is you could get a Mossberg 500 12g shotgun for home defense, and a Savage .223 bolt gun for hunting. Both of those guns together will be less than a Mini 14 and you will have a better home defense gun and a more accurate hunting rifle. Just something to consider.
Old 03-08-2014, 1:59 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like the going price now days.
As others have said the Mini is excellent!
Old 03-09-2014, 6:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Using frangible ammo and the .223/5.56 is the BEST HD round there is. Seen video on interior wall penetration where the frangible penetrated less then .22 , 9mm or 12g.
They make frangible in every caliber including all the handgun calibers... and lots of different self-defense rounds - hollowpoints, polytipped, etc... and it depends on the home. Some people aren't as concerned with interior wall penetration due to their layout, or maybe no there's no kids and they live in the boonies.

Sounds like it might be the best HD round for a specific scenario.
Old 03-09-2014, 7:37 PM
Veteran Member

Had a Mini in SS from the early 80s til I sold it last year. Still have my AR. The Mini doesn't need a bullet button in stock form because it's featureless. No pistol grip, folding stock, flash hider etc.
Old 03-09-2014, 8:53 PM
Banned

I have had two Mini's over the years. A Mini30 as well as a new model Mini14. For various reasons I sold them both but I personally prefer the Mini over the AR.

Sturdy, well-built rifles that run very clean no matter what ammo you shoot. No idiotic BB to deal with and great to be able to QUICKLY utilize a butt-stroke if needed in a less-lethal situation.

Don't care for the 5.56 caliber? You can also get a Mini in 6.8.

As to the proprietary mags thing, it's not like Ruger mags are hard to find and unless you are planning on keeping several hundred loaded mags around for the Apocalypse the cost isn't really an issue.