Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:59 AM

Default OK, what am I doing wrong

Finally got my Trijicon ACOG for my H&K MR762 and I can't get it anywhere near closet to zero.

I've mounted (and remounted) the ACOG to it every way imaginable (tighten the front first, back first, evenly between the two, etc.) using the standard mounts. I insert a laser boresighter into the weapons and I cannot get to adjust above -6" at 20 feet.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-07-2014, 1:16 PM

Are you actually shooting or just trying to align the Acog with a boresighter?
Old 03-07-2014, 1:26 PM
Veteran Member

Well, since you know you're about 6" off at 20', go to the range and sight it in at 75' and see where you're at. You should be shooting high I bet.
Old 03-07-2014, 1:27 PM

Try moving your target further, 20' is just 6.6 yards, I think its too close.
Old 03-07-2014, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
Are you actually shooting or just trying to align the Acog with a boresighter?
Just trying to align with the boresight before I shoot it tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2014, 1:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

because you're sighting in at 20", its not going to line up.

take the boresight with you to the range, then, assuming you're shooting at 50+ yards away, put the boresight in, then line up the rifle so the laser boresight is center of your target. once you have that done, then adjust your acog to hit dead center target as well.

that will put you on paper.
Old 03-07-2014, 1:45 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini1 View Post
Try moving your target further, 20' is just 6.6 yards, I think its too close.
This, I normally aim down the hallway across the entire house or go out back and aim long ways across the entire yard when I do a quick home boresighting. No way 20' is far enough.

Just vote Yes please, not asking for money.
Old 03-07-2014, 1:46 PM

So the rifle is shooting 6" low at 20' (or so claims the laser)? Meaning the laser is below the reticle? If so I'm not sure what you could do to fix that.

Unlike what other people say, it won't get better at long distance (unless you have some incredibly high mount).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Looking for retro AR parts: A1 handguards, stock, grip, maybe more. PM if you have any for sale.
Old 03-07-2014, 1:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

IIRC, The laser one I have recommends 15-20 yards as your initial distance using it. So try to find a longer distance to use the laser.

YMMV

I survived the great CG of 2015
Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 03-07-2014, 2:21 PM

I suggest discarding the laser boresighter. Unless it's a very high dollar model, it's probably misaligned. Simple test: put the boresighter on a table, pointed at a wall. Then roll it. The laser should draw a straight horizontal line across the wall. But more likely it's drawing a wavy line because its not perfectly aligned.

A better method is to put the upper on a table or vise, pull the bcg and look down the bore at a light bulb (or glowing cell phone display, anything bright) at least 10 yards away. Then center your optics about 2 inches above that. This is critical, you don't want them matching because who wants a 10 yd zero on a rifle?

That should get you on paper when you sight-in with actual rounds.
Old 03-07-2014, 2:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Remember, on the H&K, the acog is going to sit a little higher above the boreline. That is probably why he's getting a huge difference.

Here is what I would do....i would go to the range, take the upper off the lower, remove the bolt carrier so that you can now see through the back end and out of the barrel, and set the upper on the range bench and aim it say at a 50yd target through the bore, much like what you would do with a bolt action rifle.

then, when you have this set, adjust your acog to match roughly where the point of aim is. slap the parts together and shoot and it see if you're on paper.

the other way, which will take more ammo, is to aim at a dirt mount or something that will kick up dust. then, as you shoot, note how far off you are and make rough adjustments until its close enough to where you would hit paper.
Old 03-07-2014, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
I suggest discarding the laser boresighter. Unless it's a very high dollar model, it's probably misaligned. Simple test: put the boresighter on a table, pointed at a wall. Then roll it. The laser should draw a straight horizontal line across the wall. But more likely it's drawing a wavy line because its not perfectly aligned.

A better method is to put the upper on a table or vise, pull the bcg and look down the bore at a light bulb (or glowing cell phone display, anything bright) at least 10 yards away. Then center your optics about 2 inches above that. This is critical, you don't want them matching because who wants a 10 yd zero on a rifle?

That should get you on paper when you sight-in with actual rounds.
This. I had the same issue.
Old 03-07-2014, 2:52 PM

What about a Bushnells boresight? I have one and being a brand name like it is I would assume it would be aligned.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government, Governments should afraid of their people." V
Old 03-07-2014, 6:15 PM
Calguns Addict

You're experiencing what is called "height over bore" issues because there is not enough distance between you and your "target".

Within 10 yards or so the distance between the sight and center of the bore of the barrel start playing tricks on you. So you need to be further out than that for it to work properly.

When and if you take a carbine course you will learn how to compensate for "height over bore" issues during CQB by adjusting your hold.
Old 03-07-2014, 7:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think you are not understanding how to make the adjustments.

For example if your lazer is above your bullseye you want to adjust the elevation up on your sight, not down. Make sense?

Originally Posted by icallshotgun88:

I'm sorry, but if you don't think Glocks are reliable then we can't be friends...
Old 03-08-2014, 8:22 PM

You also need to "Love Bump" your ACOG after each adjustment by hitting it with the palm of your hand. Also move further than 20 Feet from target.
Old 03-08-2014, 8:33 PM
Calguns Addict

As someone who has never owned a boresighting 'tool', wouldn't it be just as easy to take the upper off the lower, remove the bolt, rest the upper on a table or what not and aim the barrel at a target black and adjust the optic/sight appropriately until the sight lines up windage wise on the black?

Then go to the range, shoot a few rounds to confirm no-wind windage zero and fire a few more rounds and adjust elevation accordingly?

I mean, that's what I usually do for an AR type rifle.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 03-08-2014, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldarshay View Post
You also need to "Love Bump" your ACOG after each adjustment by hitting it with the palm of your hand. Also move further than 20 Feet from target.
Thanks. That was the step I was missing. I took it out to Lytle Creek this morning, tossed the laser and shot paper the old fashioned way. Worked out great. Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
As someone who has never owned a boresighting 'tool', wouldn't it be just as easy to take the upper off the lower, remove the bolt, rest the upper on a table or what not and aim the barrel at a target black and adjust the optic/sight appropriately until the sight lines up windage wise on the black?

Then go to the range, shoot a few rounds to confirm no-wind windage zero and fire a few more rounds and adjust elevation accordingly?

I mean, that's what I usually do for an AR type rifle.

I have it from the Garand and M1A. Figured I'd give it a try.