Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-07-2014, 8:33 AM
Banned

Default Parts list for a lightweight AR

I want to put together a parts list for a lightweight AR but honestly not sure where to start. I would like it to be as minimalist as possible. I have tried the tacticoool feel and dont like it. Makes the rifle so front heavy. I was thinking about going with a flat top receiver so I can put a carry handle or flip up rear sight on it. Maybe an A2 front sight or a low profile rail attached front sight that mimics the A2 style. Will low profile carry handles still mount an optic or does it just depend on the model of carry handle? I dont think I want to add anything to the front end except maybe a light but probably not even that so it doesn't need to be railed. Will the standard handguards work perfect for this situation or are they crap? Is the moe forend worth the money? Lighter/heavier? My budget is approximately 800+/- and basically want to try and build the lightest weight rifle I can but I don't need many accessories so maybe I can put more money where it matters like the barrel etc. Any suggestions on parts? Pictures of lightweight rifles you built? I would also like a 14.5" barrel.

Last edited by Pistolgrip Pump; 03-07-2014 at 8:36 AM..
Old 03-07-2014, 8:38 AM

Add a plastic handguard and mbus rear.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...g-mid-14lw.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpu...20%20black.htm

Last edited by 220; 03-07-2014 at 8:41 AM..
Old 03-07-2014, 8:47 AM

I have a standard carbine, moe fde grip & moe stock, mbus, and vtac padded sling, and it is a very light rifle.
Old 03-07-2014, 8:48 AM
Veteran Member

Magtech makes magneseum upper and lower. Far better than poly. They look pretty much like any other upper and lower except they have a solid trigger area.
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 03-07-2014, 8:57 AM

Here are some options to take it to the next level.

http://www.vertexops.com/Lightweight...rts_s/1907.htm
Old 03-07-2014, 8:58 AM

This will help you out.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...hUVpYMVE&hl=en

I am not a lawyer and the above is not legal adivse.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

A lot of the weight comes from the barrel. You'll probably want a LW barrel .625 diameter
Old 03-07-2014, 11:40 AM

Apcustoms carbon fiber handguard is very light. 7.8 oz at 12.3 inches.. mission first tactical stock minimalist stock comes in at under 6oz ..just my suggestion
Old 03-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c35412 View Post
Apcustoms carbon fiber handguard is very light. 7.8 oz at 12.3 inches.. mission first tactical stock minimalist stock comes in at under 6oz ..just my suggestion
My suggestion exactly. +1
Old 03-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal3nt View Post
A lot of the weight comes from the barrel. You'll probably want a LW barrel .625 diameter
This, and muzzle devices can add weight too depending on your selection.

Also in my experience, a well balanced (front to rear) feels like a rifle that may be much lighter when you go to point it. If you're dead set on going light as possible go pencil barrel, MBUS instead of the carry handle and stay away from attachments everywhere you can. Most carry handles can mount optics either on top or with an additional mount. The MOE handguards aren't a big advantage over the standard ones, just look better (subjective) and are supposed to be more ergonomic.

Last edited by TheExiled; 03-07-2014 at 11:52 AM..
Old 03-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220 View Post
I just finished one just like this, except using a spikes upper and a standard carbine stock. Was gonna go with a moe stock I had, but the spikes stock I have is a few ounces lighter.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:07 PM

I just made a post with my lightweight build results ... I came in at 79oz. (4lbs 15oz).

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=903596

Here's the part lists I used:
MAG Tactical Lower Receiver
MAG Tactical Upper Receiver
Daniel Defense 14.5” Mid-Length Lightweight Barrel
Extended A2 Flash Hider
SLR Rifleworks DA-7 Adjustable Gas Block
Midwest Industries 12” SS Gen2 Handguard
Generic mid-length Gas Tube
JP Enterprises Lightweight Bolt Carrier
JP Enterprises Enhanced Bolt
Bravo Company MOD4 Charging Handle
PSA Standard Lower Parts Kit
ALG Defense ACT Trigger
JP Enterprises Yellow Trigger Springs
Magpul MOE+ Grip
ACE ARUL-E Fixed Stock
JP Silent Capture Spring
Magpul MBUS Front and Rear Sights
UTG High Mount
Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot
Did not install forward assist
Did not install the dust cover
Old 03-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExiled View Post
This, and muzzle devices can add weight too depending on your selection.

Also in my experience, a well balanced (front to rear) feels like a rifle that may be much lighter when you go to point it. If you're dead set on going light as possible go pencil barrel, MBUS instead of the carry handle and stay away from attachments everywhere you can. Most carry handles can mount optics either on top or with an additional mount. The MOE handguards aren't a big advantage over the standard ones, just look better (subjective) and are supposed to be more ergonomic.
Well said, although I find that the moe handguards dissipate heat better than standard handguards. Although they are slightly heavier than the standard hand guards.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I like the balance and weight of my bcm lw middy + fsb; w/ armalite plastic handguards and an old skool car stock.

Also like the Midwest industries SS gen 2 handguard on my ar22 (same lower and stock as above).
Old 03-07-2014, 12:14 PM

Pencil barrel, I'd go with a Midwest industries keymod it's light and skinny, and a fixed magpul moe stock. That will ahead a lot of weight
Old 03-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Go with a pencil or lightweight barrel. The BCM KMR10 keymod handguard is one of the lightest out there at 4.1 oz. Use the Mission First Tactical Battlelink Minimalist stock which is advertised as the lightest stock available at 5.8 oz. Don't attach a carry handle. It's extra weight that isn't needed.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 03-07-2014, 1:43 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artema View Post
Magtech makes magneseum upper and lower. Far better than poly. They look pretty much like any other upper and lower except they have a solid trigger area.
I've got both of them for my new lightweight build. As soon as I get a barrel and get it installed I'll let everyone know what I think. They seem solid so far, and very strong. My buffer tube I used was out of spec and very very tight to screw in, I had to torque the crap out of it, loosen it, file the threads on the tube, and try again for hours to get it to go all the way in. If it was going to fail, it would have when I was hitting the stock with a hammer to get the tube to turn. lol

http://store.steampowered.com/app/516520
Old 03-07-2014, 1:46 PM
Calguns Addict

The lightest you're gonna get is 14.5" pencil barrel, A2 front sight and plastic handguards, flip up BUIS instead of a carry handle, and a SOPMOD, MOE, CTR or M4 stock. There are "lighter" stocks, but I wouldn't use them.
Old 03-07-2014, 2:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
I've got both of them for my new lightweight build. As soon as I get a barrel and get it installed I'll let everyone know what I think. They seem solid so far, and very strong. My buffer tube I used was out of spec and very very tight to screw in, I had to torque the crap out of it, loosen it, file the threads on the tube, and try again for hours to get it to go all the way in. If it was going to fail, it would have when I was hitting the stock with a hammer to get the tube to turn. lol
The build I did last summer and sold had just the lower, but I eventually want another with upper and lower. I'll do 10" barrel and hope to get it in at a super low weight.
Old 03-07-2014, 2:08 PM

I built this to be light. It is right about six pounds with an unloaded magazine.

14.5" pencil barrel
12" MIGen2SS
CTR stock

I am not a lawyer and the above is not legal adivse.

Last edited by CenCalHobbist; 03-07-2014 at 2:46 PM..
Old 03-07-2014, 2:09 PM
Veteran Member

The Midwest Industries SS12G2 (12" modular rail) with lopro gas block, front MBUS, barrel nut is a couple ounces lighter than standard A2 FSB and Magpul carbine length handguards (with stock barrel nut). Apparently there are new ones even lighter.

Stock or Magpul forends are surprisingly heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 03-07-2014, 4:51 PM
Banned

Thanks guys!
Old 03-07-2014, 5:09 PM

build a pistol- 10" .625 barrel, rainier no forward assist upper, a non shrouded bcg, the tiny pri gb, mount both magpul buis on the upper, magpul handguards are a good balance of weight vs. cost, and go sans flash hider or choose one with a lot of open space like the phantom 5c.

Last edited by eviioiive; 03-07-2014 at 8:25 PM..
Old 03-07-2014, 9:43 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
Go with a pencil or lightweight barrel. The BCM KMR10 keymod handguard is one of the lightest out there at 4.1 oz. Use the Mission First Tactical Battlelink Minimalist stock which is advertised as the lightest stock available at 5.8 oz. Don't attach a carry handle. It's extra weight that isn't needed.
I'm at approximately 6lbs with a KMR13 on my Colt, and still have a Colt 16" Government profile barrel, and the original Rogers stock. Currently waiting for the BCM ELW barrel.

The Colt / Rogers stock only weighs 6.5oz, but at 4.6oz, I believe the Colt CAR Fiberlite stock is the lightest available.
Old 03-07-2014, 9:57 PM

Bypass all that. Have you considered one of these? Has to be the lightest .223 rifle on the market. Takes preban mags, and it folds up for easy storage
Old 03-07-2014, 9:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Grinder View Post
Bypass all that. Have you considered one of these? Has to be the lightest .223 rifle on the market. Takes preban mags, and it folds up for easy storage
What is it, and can it shoot 5.56?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artema View Post
What is it, and can it shoot 5.56?
U serious? U really don't know what this is? Well.....It's a KTSU16 and yes it shoots 5.56
Old 03-07-2014, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviioiive View Post
build a pistol- 10" .625 barrel, rainier no forward assist upper, a non shrouded bcg, the tiny pri gb, mount both magpul buis on the upper, magpul handguards are a good balance of weight vs. cost, and go sans flash hider or choose one with a lot of open space like the phantom 5c.

I don't think you'd add enough weight to notice with an MI SS7G2 or something, and it would significantly extend your sight radius.

When I measured my SS12G2 with mbus and lopro gas block vs stock handguard/FSB, the SS12G2 came out 1.2oz lighter with 3 grip panels on it. Without the grip panels I bet it would've been 3oz lighter than Magpul/stock. With a shorter rail (7" vs 12") it drops another 2.2oz for just over 5oz total reduction.

Much of this weight savings is in the FSB which it looks you don't have, but I think you could at least save a tiny bit of weight and double your sight radius by changing that setup. It would cost something though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:19 PM

That is a pretty slim sight radius.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:19 PM

What is considered light? I have a PSA rifle at 6.5 lbs. Is that light or average weight?

Some features I'm going to keep like a forward assist and a dust cover.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anyone ever considered NFA complete lower? I know alot of people hate on polymer but NFA seems to be pretty reliable compared to other polymer lowers and plus Ammo Bros has Complete NFA lowers for $75. Also Spike makes a slickside upper with no foward assist that weighs in at 7.26 ounces. Some of you guys might want to look into it.

http://www.spikestactical.com/upper-...cal-p-926.html

Last edited by Checkk; 03-07-2014 at 10:36 PM..
Old 03-08-2014, 8:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkk View Post
Anyone ever considered NFA complete lower? I know alot of people hate on polymer but NFA seems to be pretty reliable compared to other polymer lowers and plus Ammo Bros has Complete NFA lowers for $75. Also Spike makes a slickside upper with no foward assist that weighs in at 7.26 ounces. Some of you guys might want to look into it.

http://www.spikestactical.com/upper-...cal-p-926.html
With Magnesium being like a billion times stronger and only a few ounces heavier, I'd go with MagTech 100% of the time.
Old 03-08-2014, 2:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMatt View Post
What is considered light? I have a PSA rifle at 6.5 lbs. Is that light or average weight?

Some features I'm going to keep like a forward assist and a dust cover.
6.5 is average. Anything under 6 is considered light. I've seen some nice builds at 4.75 to 5.5.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 04-01-2014, 9:54 PM

Depends on the money you want to spend. Rra light barrel. Dpms free float tube. Aero upper with forward assist delete. M 4 stock a2 grip. If you git the extra money magnesium lower! . No comp on the barrel.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Single stack pistol guy
CGN Contributor

I think a DD lightweight barrel, forged upper, low mass carrier and BCM KMR would make a light and versatile upper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
The average Calgunner is afraid to scratch his gun; so I don't see the point to these torture tests.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:29 PM

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ng-handle.html that is a very lightweight upper but still has a nice rail system. Also a pencil cold hammer forged fn barrel. Mate that to one of those mag tactical lw lowers and a minimalist stock thats a super light weapon. I think those uppers are like 650 when in stock on sale. Damn good deal with nib bcg.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

someone makes aluminum buffer nuts google it

you can take the weights out of your buffer
Old 04-02-2014, 5:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiontrails View Post
The lightest you're gonna get is 14.5" pencil barrel, A2 front sight and plastic handguards, flip up BUIS instead of a carry handle, and a SOPMOD, MOE, CTR or M4 stock. There are "lighter" stocks, but I wouldn't use them.
Cavalry Arms lower.

11.5" pencil barrel.

5.5" XM-clone brake...I turned mine down to about 3/32" thick. Obviously, permanently attached.

Round plastic hand guard.

4-position carbine stock.

Have fun.

Originally Posted By System Message:
Why can't you guys participate in a simple discussion about some guy's mom making a porno without violating the COC? This is why we can't have nice things.

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 04-02-2014, 6:43 AM

DD LW barrel would be key. I love my DD LW w Omega 9.0 rails. Even with Eotech it feels as light as a feather. I doubt it's much lighter than 6.5 lbs but w the balance I wouldn't want it any lighter.
Old 04-02-2014, 7:52 AM
Calguns Addict

I used the DD lightweight .625" 16". I used an aluminum gas block and an aluminum Kineti-tech linear compensator. Add a poly front site. If you do that and use the BCM alloy rails, the front end will be very light and nimble.

Then you can look into those new titanium BCG's and other tweaks, but most of the weight savings are the barrel.