Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-07-2014, 9:11 AM
Veteran Member

alot of the Wolf, Tula, Bear and GT are of Russian and Ukraine origin are being purchased....a lot of the Red Army Standard is from Romania and that's still in pretty good supply...
Old 03-07-2014, 9:16 AM

Lol the community creates more fake-panic than the politicians they accuse, you old geezers need to chill out.
Old 03-07-2014, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Not everyone is intelligent enough to understand the news.

The largest wholesale gun & ammo distributors in the US have informed us in private conversation today that a massive scramble is on for all 7.62 as Russia has reportedly halted all exports to the US of Russian made ammunition. Our distributor source informed us that yesterday they had several hundred thousand rounds of Russian made 7.62 TulAmmo, and after receiving word early today on the halt of Russian exports to the US, they have been completely wiped out of every last round in the past 10 hours!
Now that you bold and underlined some of the text from your first post, it must be real. Because that means it is real when you do that.

Another BS story from Alex Jones. The same person that faked the gun confiscation letter supposedly from New York.
Old 03-07-2014, 9:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kLewis View Post

Looks like it may be bunk, I called Wolf ammo this AM and they said they have heard nothing of this. He said the people are nervous enough that this story will cause the shelves to go empty and prices to jump.

BUT

They may not want to admit to a supply issue if they are a big company. Who knows what’s true any more? The ammo is flying off the shelves as we speak. I give it two weeks before prices double as the ammo market is like the stock market these days.

Last edited by problemchild; 03-07-2014 at 9:37 AM..
Old 03-07-2014, 9:29 AM
Calguns Addict

100K rounds disappeared from one of the biggest distributors today. However, I wouldn't expect lingering supply problems if the Russia-Ukraine situation deescalates soon.

Magpul | Mega Arms | LMT | Hiperfire | ODIN Works | Multitasker
Spike's Tactical | Fortis | Centurion Arms | Limited Capacity PMAGs

FREE SHIPPING ON $150+ ORDERS!
Old 03-07-2014, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01
I hope everyone who was inclined to "panic buy" got that out of their system last year..
Actually; yesterday would be pre panic... re: the smart time to stock up.

Its like buying before an election.

but I get your point... but even if there is a panic it is still smart to replenish now to make it through a panic... also; I'd add on... if the story is true it is not a panic. Product just got removed from the market. That's not panic; that's potential real shortage and it could last quite awhile and be worse than a panic...
I did buy 1080 rounds yesterday and had no difficulty. I was looking to score a little more and this little news blurb prompted me to do it now rather than 2 weeks from now as I was planning to do. I try to look ahead and buy what I'll need when it's available at a reasonable price. I've got some of the Wolf poly that I bought way back when you could get it for $99 per case that my SKS loves. Wife thought I was crazy buying 5 cases of it (one case per gun show over a couple of years) but these last few years she hasn't been laughing as the price has more than doubled over that time. My AR seems to like the new Red Army Standard so I figured I'd grab some, and maybe over time (not all in one huge gulp that empties the store shelf) I'd build up a comparable supply of the Red Army stuff. I don't need to be sitting on thousands of pounds of the stuff, but as long as I can fit it all in the trunk of my wife's VW Beetle I won't feel like an out-of-control hoarder because that's a supply I could conceivably use up in just a couple year's time.

What really gets me is these people who just buy a box or two on the way to the range. If something happens to the supply pipeline those are the folks that always get hosed. Which is fine I suppose if you are a shooter who just considers this a hobby and if there's no ammo you'll just go windsurfing or play video games instead. Some of us are into it for more than just entertainment value, and supply availability is crucially important. I hope and pray a day never comes that proves this viewpoint beyond all doubt, but I would rather be wrong and ready than rue the day I spent $300 going on a fun vacation rather than making sure my family had the ammo they needed. Of course, if you can do both, then do both of course. It's just that some people never think ahead when times are good, then find themselves in a pickle when crunch time comes. It's a story as old as the grasshopper and the ant, because it reflects an aspect of basic human nature that I am working to move beyond.
Old 03-07-2014, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

well, the thing learned from the panics would be to stock up when prices are low...buy a little here and there...like how the squirrel caches their winter stocks of acorns etc....
Old 03-07-2014, 9:45 AM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post
100K rounds disappeared from one of the biggest distributors today. However, I wouldn't expect lingering supply problems if the Russia-Ukraine situation deescalates soon.
That doesn't mean anything to us unless we know how much that distributor moves on a day to day year over year basis. 100K rounds may move through there every month anyway.
Old 03-07-2014, 9:50 AM
Veteran Member

I just bought a couple crates of 5.45 just in case. I had close to 4 anyway but I'll be going through it fairly quickly once the AR74 is working right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 03-07-2014, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

Ya cant we just buy ukraine stuff then?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you just got invaded by a hostile adversary, would you go shipping your ammo out of the country? I wouldn't.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyson View Post
It takes like 6-9 months to get a shipment of ammo over here what with customs and import permits along with shipping and other nonsense.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:44 AM
CGSSA Leader

-----------------

Last edited by purer00r; 10-26-2014 at 12:26 PM..
Old 03-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

This is the reason we need to have rifles in different calibers. During post Sandy Hook Crisis, the Russian calibers were the first ones to come back. Now, Western calibers are still plenty. I haven't shot my .223 VEPR for a long time, and I need to get used to the AR platform anyway.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:04 AM
CGSSA Leader

----------------

Last edited by purer00r; 10-26-2014 at 12:26 PM..
Old 03-07-2014, 11:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm sure this is typical FUD so I just did my part to help by buying 1000 rounds of non-magnetic ammo from SGAmmo...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 03-07-2014, 11:20 AM

not that i'm joining the panic...but i recently picked up some Russian ammo.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:36 AM
CGSSA Leader

------------------

Last edited by purer00r; 10-26-2014 at 12:27 PM..
Old 03-07-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
If you just got invaded by a hostile adversary, would you go shipping your ammo out of the country? I wouldn't.
?

They didn't get invaded by a hostile adversary. Russia has had an agreement for YEARS with Ukraine that allows them to place up to 25,000 soldiers in Crimea at any time. The Russians are there to HELP the real Ukrainians - not the fakes who are taking over the western part of the country.

They need ammo, sure, but not to use against their Russian neighbors.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

This FUD has been making its rounds.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSOG View Post
This FUD has been making its rounds.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondongo View Post
?

They didn't get invaded by a hostile adversary. Russia has had an agreement for YEARS with Ukraine that allows them to place up to 25,000 soldiers in Crimea at any time. The Russians are there to HELP the real Ukrainians - not the fakes who are taking over the western part of the country.
This is complete bullcrap straight from the Russian news propaganda.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Meyers View Post
This is complete bullcrap straight from the Russian news propaganda.
Complete fact you mean?

Russia has had a military base in Crimea for quite some time. They can have up to 25,000 troops there at any time.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:33 PM

Now were going to find out AJ is in with some ammo company.

"Friends don't let friends play bubba gunsmith."
SlickmisterN
Old 03-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester3 View Post
No kidding! Stop exporting a HUGE money maker? Like us or not, we do buy alot of SURPLUS ammo and firearms from them.
exactly... if Putin wanted to "stick it to the US", he's definitely not gonna do it buy deciding to stop taking our money. and in fact, he would be doing Obama a favor...

On the other hand... Obama may mess things up...

On one hand, I'm glad I got rid of all my AK stuff (including ammo) several months ago... on the other hand, maybe I should have hung onto it for the next panic (I'd rather give a good deal to a gunner than take advantage of a situation though - truly).
Old 03-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Calguns Addict

It doesn't matter if the story is real or not. What matters is if the general populace believes the story. If they think it's real or there's even the possibility, there will be a run on .223 and 7.62x39.

Even if the story is currently false, do you think Obama might place trade sanctions on imports of Russian goods in the next few days or weeks? The probability is good that he will. If he does, do you think he wouldn't jump at the chance to specifically earmark ammo imports?

If you're smart, you're reading between the lines right now with all the saber rattling and rhetoric. If you currently don't have a good stockpile to ride out possible supply line disruptions, you might consider stocking up.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 03-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
And if you're planning to buy all you can get your hands on, and sell it on Gunbroker at triple normal price when there's none to be had anywhere because others are doing the same... that's low, buddy... mighty low.
i complain about guys price gouging as well...but lately here is my thought process

if you own a gun...and you lived through the 2008 panic, and 2012 panic....and you STILL do not have a decent supply of ammo on hand RIGHT now

you deserve what you have to pay for it on the second hand market

you have NOBODY to blame but yourself. ive been reading on EVERY gun forum i go to for the last 3-6 months the same things over and over which is....

"ahhh...yeah its cheap but im gonna wait for it to come down more"

hindsight is 20/20 , if my grandparents bought google stock back in the day our whole family would be basking on our private island with no care about ammo prices

so those who were too cheap to stock up when it was back in stock everywhere (and cheaper than it had been for 4 years) well....this is me >>>
Old 03-07-2014, 12:43 PM

My take on this is FUD. I am worried that this administration has actually started the cold war again. The posturing is getting stronger and Putin sees the time as right. Weak leader country coming off a ten year war what better time than now to challenge the US.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Trigger Warning

Just bought another case. Just in case. No pun intended.

The only thing I worry about is that this might be Obastard's big chance to cut ammo supply to the US. Then firearms?
Old 03-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
It doesn't matter if the story is real or not. What matters is if the general populace believes the story. If they think it's real or there's even the possibility, there will be a run on .223 and 7.62x39.

Even if the story is currently false, do you think Obama might place trade sanctions on imports of Russian goods in the next few days or weeks? The probability is good that he will. If he does, do you think he wouldn't jump at the chance to specifically earmark ammo imports?

If you're smart, you're reading between the lines right now with all the saber rattling and rhetoric. If you currently don't have a good stockpile to ride out possible supply line disruptions, you might consider stocking up.
shouldn't need the thread topic to figure that out though... if I were still into AKs, I would have started more buying the minute Russia made entrance...

If nothing else, (many) retailers and/or distributors will use it to raise prices... besides that, I'd never wait for Obama to screw things up... make the move before he fubars it.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:57 PM

too many other countries produce x39 ammo - so I'm not worried.
Old 03-07-2014, 1:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPGunner View Post
too many other countries produce x39 ammo - so I'm not worried.
That's not how it works. If you eliminate 25% of supply, increased demand for the remaining inventory will increase prices across the board - not just Russian ammo. It takes time to fill the pipeline with alternate sources to fill the void. And you can bet the reason they weren't primary sources to begin with were either because of quality or pricing problems. So prices will likely be higher with the alternate sources even when the pipeline eventually fills.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 03-07-2014, 5:33 PM
Firepower Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Looks like it may be bunk, I called Wolf ammo this AM and they said they have heard nothing of this. He said the people are nervous enough that this story will cause the shelves to go empty and prices to jump.

BUT

They may not want to admit to a supply issue if they are a big company. Who knows what’s true any more? The ammo is flying off the shelves as we speak. I give it two weeks before prices double as the ammo market is like the stock market these days.
The fake story that someone like you keep spreading.
Old 03-07-2014, 5:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondongo View Post
?

They need ammo, sure, but not to use against their Russian neighbors.
wow... I guess we are worth getting a disinfo guy of our own... posting.

Not that I think the line from conservative US media is correct about what is going on in the Ukraine but 21 posts and wackadoo Russian apologist-ia... hmmm
Old 03-07-2014, 5:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Anyway guys; save some shell casings. Steel is a pain but they can be reloaded.

even if you don't reload yourself; if a friend is going to help you out they still need the cases.
Old 03-07-2014, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous_bob View Post
i complain about guys price gouging as well...but lately here is my thought process

if you own a gun...and you lived through the 2008 panic, and 2012 panic....and you STILL do not have a decent supply of ammo on hand RIGHT now

you deserve what you have to pay for it on the second hand market

you have NOBODY to blame but yourself. ive been reading on EVERY gun forum i go to for the last 3-6 months the same things over and over which is....

>>>
This. Unless someone has just gotten into guns within the last month, they would have lived through the shortages of the past year and should have planned accordingly when prices started getting better. x39 and x54R was some of the first stuff to drop back to normal, so there was plenty of time to stock up.
Old 03-07-2014, 6:02 PM
Calguns Addict

The Wolf and Tula lovers are gonna get really grumpy when the shelves dry up and the cost of the non-Russian stuff goes up even more!

AK lovers have really taken some deep hits to the wallet lately. First the Obamascare drives up the cost of the rifles themselves, now an international crisis looks to drive the cost of ammo through the roof.

Given how many times AK fanatics used "cost" to explain why the AK is the "best" gun out there, this has to be as hard on the ego as it is the wallet. Suddenly it became the "expensive" gun to own and shoot.

Bummer!

Last edited by tacticalcity; 03-07-2014 at 6:07 PM..
Old 03-07-2014, 6:53 PM
Banned

Just bought a 500rd case of WPA polyformance for $144.75+ $14 shipping from SGAammo..... Thats the cheapest ive ever found ,223......
Old 03-07-2014, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSideburns View Post
russia doesnt export a great deal of things. fossil fuel and arms are their only real money making exports. and no doubt the american market is probably one of their biggest buyers of ammunition, so this move would make zero sense whatsoever. even if you think they would stop out of spite, that's ridiculous because since when has russia cared who they sold arms and ammunition to?

Actually it could be a lot more damaging economically to the US than you might think. Think about all of the income the Federal Government brings in on import tariffs from this ammo. That is a huge source of revenue that is now a big fat $0.00!

Also if ammo distributors/retailers don't have product to move, they won't make as much money (over time that is... obviously at the start of a shortage they will triple their money invested in what they have in stock). But say 6 months or more goes by and everyone has been completely sold out for months.... That will begin to hurt small businesses involved eventually. There is a small gun store in every town across America that may at least feel the effect over time.

Needless to say I bought 4 boxes (1,000 rounds ea.) of Tula 7.62x39 two nights ago. It said that they had 37 boxes in stock at the time I ordered (37,000 rounds). The very next morning at 6:30 am they were completely sold out over night!

I looked on many other sites and some still have it in stock at reasonable prices, but others are sold out and some have already began to raise their prices.

SD Bullion is already selling boxes of 20 rounds for $10.99. That is more than double what I paid.

Not sure how much time there will be to get some before it's gone. If you are thinking about it you might as well just do it. Even if the prices don't skyrocket it's not like the prices will be coming down during all of this.

laxammo.com has boxes of 1000 rounds right now (53 in stock) for $229.50 each. Better get on there now because it might be sold out in the morning

The attachment below is a screenshot a took of some of the Wolf 7.62x39 on sgammo.com SOLD OUT!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sold out.jpg (14.7 KB, 22 views)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Chantry1969; 03-07-2014 at 7:11 PM..
Old 03-07-2014, 7:25 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantry1969 View Post
Actually it could be a lot more damaging economically to the US than you might think. Think about all of the income the Federal Government brings in on import tariffs from this ammo. That is a huge source of revenue that is now a big fat $0.00!
With all due respect... Russian ammo sales aren't even a pimple on the @ss of the US economy... short supply would have zero influence.

It would suck for many US shooters and retailers... but the economy won't even notice it.

On the other hand... Russia would be stupid to stop exporting it... and they won't...

Expect Obama to use this event as an excuse... and more-so, expect the likes of CTD to use this event to drive prices up.