Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:33 AM

Default AR-10 Build questions

Hello fellow gunners,

I am looking to build an AR-10 slowly within the the next year and I am just doing my research right now. I pretty much know just about all the pieces I would like to get but I am being pickiest about the upper.

I would like to have a 20" bull barrel, I like to shoot long distance. I'm not sure how many manufacturers out there make a complete upper with a bull barrel, I'm willing to go as short as 18". Don't care about color.

I am also wondering if I can get a piston driven bull barrel upper?

Let me know if this is something I can purchase, or if I would need to build my own, or if I'm just dreaming? If I need to build my own any pointers would be helpful, i.e. what to look for, specs to stay within, etc.

Thanks in advance!

JC
Old 03-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

What sorta of shooting are you trying to do. Bench rest, comp , all around , hunting?

"Gawd, asks a qustion, gets two good answers, denies/ still doesn't get it.

This is the kinda person that shouldn't be building things- go store bought.
Bill Wiese"
Old 03-06-2014, 4:30 PM

All around. Mainly bench rest possibly some competition in the future. I will not be hunting with this rifle, I have others for that.
Old 03-06-2014, 5:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well...bull barrel in a semi auto, you'll have some challenges with finding one. You might be able to get one made for you. check out this: http://ar15barrels.com/prod/bull.shtml. He might be able to make this in a .308 configuration. There may be other mfg that make one that other calgunners can point out. I would say, go longer if you want to shoot long distance. Maybe go in the 20-22" length, which is what I would do. You could even go longer, which will help get the velocities you need to go farther. You might be able to find one, but i dont know of one at this point in a AR-10 configuration. You could go JP, which is more of a LR-308 pattern. They have a 22" barrel that would help you get out there. You might even want to consider 6.5 creedmoor, which you can use in a LR-308 pattern rifle. 6.5 is a round that can get you out to 1K+ easily.

Piston driven...maybe, but again, the challenges lie in finding a piston driven bull barrel. You might be limited to DI. Pistons are arguably a little less accurate than a DI because of the recoil impulse, but again, its arguable.

IMO, I think your best bet is to make it, but go in a LR-308 pattern rather than a AR-10 pattern due to parts availability and ease of finding parts. Plus, a LR-308 pattern rifle will accept a wider array of magazines than the AR-10 platform.

Good luck
Old 03-06-2014, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the advice! I will do more research.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:27 PM

Yeah, as stated above, a piston 308 especially with a bull barrel will be difficult if not not to be found at all. But I think the closest that you'll find is a heavy barreled piston 308. A few companies that make a piston 308 are:

-POF (R308)
-LWRCi (REPR)
-Ruger (SR)
-Sig Sauer (716)
-HK (MR762)
-PWS (MK2)
-JP (Just Playing.. )

But I think generally, if you want to build your own upper, you are pretty much limited to direct impingement. However, you may be able to commission someone who can build you a custom piston upper but for a hefty price tag. Otherwise, you are left with buying a pre-built upper/rifle from a reputable company that specializes in piston technologies.
I'm not familiar with AR/308 part compatibility, so I cannot offer any further input on what piston systems are available for the 308 (including AR10's) or are even compatible with those platforms

Last edited by Zenith; 03-07-2014 at 1:58 PM..
Old 03-07-2014, 1:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Yeah, as stated above, a piston 308 especially with a bull barrel will be difficult if not not to be found at all. But I think the closest that you'll find is a heavy barreled piston 308. A few companies that make a piston 308 are:

-POF (R308)
-LWRCi (REPR)
-Ruger (SR)
-Sig Sauer (716)
-HK (MR762)

But I think generally, if you want to build your own upper, you are pretty much limited to direct impingement. However, you may be able to commission someone who can build you a custom piston upper but for a hefty price tag. Otherwise, you are left with buying a pre-built upper/rifle from a reputable company that specializes in piston technologies.
I'm not familiar with AR/308 part compatibility, so I cannot offer any further input on what piston systems are available for the 308 (including AR10's) or are even compatible with those platforms
You forgot JP Rifles. They probably make the biggest barrel, or at least from what I have had experience with.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.1_PSC_12.php

I think they can sell these as an upper only.
Old 03-08-2014, 9:01 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

DPMS offers a fluted and unfluted 24"SS bull barrel gassed upper which is the route I'm going with my build

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220
Old 03-28-2014, 6:35 PM

So I think I am going to go with everyones advice and stick with a DI upper with whatever hefty barrel I choose. I was originally thinking PD for cleanliness sake but since I am pretty religious about cleaning my firearms I would rather sacrifice longer cleaning time over accuracy. As I stated originally, I want to start shooting long distance and work on precision.

I have also heard that LR308 is better than AR10.

Thanks for everyones input!
Old 03-28-2014, 7:46 PM
Veteran Member

While I was in Afghanistan I did a range day with some of the Aussie JTACS and snipers. During which I got a chance to shoot the HK417 and a KAC .308 and while the KAC had a suppressor on it, I found both to be a pleasure to shoot and couldn't say one was better than the other.

Since then I have built a MATEN with a Rainier Arms 18" select barrel, haven't shot it a lot yet, less than 100 rounds, but its a joy, and even with PMC Bronze it shoots just fine, about 1.75 MOA so far. I'm sure once I get the time and inclination to start working up a load for it with the 175 SMKs I got and break in the barrel I will see the groups shrink quite a bit.

With all that said, I bought everything prior to SHOT Show this year, had I waited, I would have held out until DPMS started making their new receivers available as I think it would be the perfect system for the 15" BCM KMR (once they make them available for sale) I love my Mega Arms MATEN receivers, flawless, however not being able to mount AR15 handguards (the KMR in particular) is a bit of a bummer, although the APEX Gator ain't bad at all.

Also I think your worry about barrel thickness is unneeded, going with a normal profile should be perfectly fine for you unless you intend on shooting very long strings of fire, plus the reduced weight will make the rifle handier. just stay away from the super thin profiles unless you intend on using it for stalk hunting and only firing a few rounds at a time. Otherwise, standard profile is the way to go.