Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-04-2014, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

Default 22lr conversion in 5.45 rifle

I did a search on here and couldn't find anything.. So I'm building a 5.45 AR and was curious what everyone's opinions were on running 22lr thru it.. From what I can find the diameters are the same .. the 22lr conversion would need some fitment but it seems that there wouldn't be any safety concerns..

What say you?

For cross reference
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=15&t=551675
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/57...mm_barrel.html
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.

Last edited by Ninety; 03-05-2014 at 11:03 PM..
Old 03-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

5.45 is supposed to have a smaller barrel diameter than 5.56. Lots of 5.45 US made barrels are wrong and are essentially 5.56 barrels with 5.45 chambers.

On the other hand, I remember hearing that 5.56 barrels are a little big for 22LR - maybe a proper 5.45 barrel would be better there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 03-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

From what I read over on ar15.com a 54 barrel mics out the same as a 22lr and 556 is bigger.. twist rate isn't ideal and the 22lr conversion bolt would need to be modified... Surprised this topic hasn't come up on here before... I just don't want to build a dedicated 22 upper or gave to build another 223.. would but into the ar10 budget.

Sent from an electronic tracking device
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

Old 03-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

5.45 bullet is .221, .22LR is .224. Also as previously mentioned the 5.56 x45 casing profile on the .22 conversion bolt will not work
Old 03-04-2014, 1:06 PM
Veteran Member

With dropping 5.45x39 prices (for now LOL), shooting .22lr is starting to save less and less money. Unless you are looking for lower recoil.
Old 03-04-2014, 1:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonanda View Post
5.45 bullet is .221, .22LR is .224. Also as previously mentioned the 5.56 x45 casing profile on the .22 conversion bolt will not work
Are u sure about those measurements? I thought. Read 22lr is .221

Just don't have an ar in 223 I would want to dirty up with 22lr. Just looking for a cheap shooter. Maybe something to bring the wife into the sport with.

-Edmund Burke
- Phil Dalmolin

Old 03-04-2014, 1:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post

What say you?
considering 5.45 is in abundance at 16-18 cents delivered .... you might not ever see the monetary gain based on current pricing between the 2 calibers

how much is your conversion gonna cost ? id just buy a 22 for less, something like the savage model 64, great little rifle for under $150
Old 03-04-2014, 1:22 PM
Veteran Member

Not a bad idea.. I just picked up the ptac bcg with cmmg 1st gen 22lr conversion for 199 shipped

-Edmund Burke
- Phil Dalmolin

Old 03-04-2014, 2:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

5.45 is cheap enough. Just hoard a bunch and have fun.
Old 03-04-2014, 3:21 PM
Veteran Member

But how much longer is it gonna be cheap. If Ukraine and Russia end up in a shooting war imports will at least stop for a little bit. If we impose sanctions against Russia ammo will probably come to a halt. The days of cheap russian surplus or wolf ammo would become a memory
Old 03-04-2014, 3:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post
Are u sure about those measurements? I thought. Read 22lr is .221

Just don't have an ar in 223 I would want to dirty up with 22lr. Just looking for a cheap shooter. Maybe something to bring the wife into the sport with.

Correction .22 LR is .223, not .224. But 5.45 is .221, I used to reload for it.

Mag Limiters for Glock 17, Sig 2022 9mm
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1232751
Old 03-05-2014, 10:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Common bore and groove dimensions:

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Calibe...246-wp3390.htm

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 03-06-2014, 7:07 AM
Veteran Member

5.45 prices are dropping and the ammo is cheap and easy to get. Most .22 lr is not that much cheaper these days, and getting it is like trying to squeeze sugar out of a lime.
Old 03-06-2014, 7:40 AM
short bus driver

Quote:
But how much longer is it gonna be cheap. If Ukraine and Russia end up in a shooting war imports will at least stop for a little bit. If we impose sanctions against Russia ammo will probably come to a halt. The days of cheap russian surplus or wolf ammo would become a memory

Buy now and stock it deep.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 03-06-2014, 3:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
But how much longer is it gonna be cheap. If Ukraine and Russia end up in a shooting war imports will at least stop for a little bit.
theres still hungaria, bulgaria...and quite a few other places to get it from

5.45 is one caliber i could find ALWAYS for a decent price over the last years "crisis"

other stuff skyrocketed, and was impossible to find...5.45...you just had to look somewhere else
Old 03-06-2014, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Thank you for this link.

I've been having issues with a Spikes Tactical 5.45 barrel, made by Lothar Walther, that's keyholing at 25yd. I first contacted Spikes in early January, slugged the bore at .218-.219, but they couldn't find anything as to the right bore so nothing has happened since (even though I've called every week). I told them that you said .214 or .215 (I forget which, but I was looking at a post you made) but they didn't trust some guy on the internet (even though I said that you run ar15barrels.com).

With a barrel manufacturer's list of proper bores, I've finally gotten them to admit that it might be a 5.56 blank chambered for 5.45. It's taken way too long but this link i what did it.

Quote:
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 03-07-2014, 1:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Thank you for this link.

I've been having issues with a Spikes Tactical 5.45 barrel, made by Lothar Walther, that's keyholing at 25yd. I first contacted Spikes in early January, slugged the bore at .218-.219, but they couldn't find anything as to the right bore so nothing has happened since (even though I've called every week). I told them that you said .214 or .215 (I forget which, but I was looking at a post you made) but they didn't trust some guy on the internet (even though I said that you run ar15barrels.com).
I met Spike personally 8-10 years ago and he knew me from my reputation.
I'm sure that he does not deal with customers directly anymore as his company has gotten quite a bit bigger than the old days when it was just 3 or 4 of them running the operation...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 03-07-2014, 4:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
I met Spike personally 8-10 years ago and he knew me from my reputation.
I'm sure that he does not deal with customers directly anymore as his company has gotten quite a bit bigger than the old days when it was just 3 or 4 of them running the operation...
Correct, I was dealing with Derek. I think it's a fairly small operation still, as far as I know he's the only support guy there.

Seeing as Lothar Walther made the barrel it isn't Spikes fault that it was made wrong, I'm just annoyed that it's being this difficult to get it replaced.

Quote: