Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-05-2014, 7:25 AM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3thodBombZ View Post
And I was coming from an efficient standpoint between the two rifles with my opinion being an AR is more efficient. On top of the fact most of the commenters laugh at the op for liking a gun with less recoil. I say they're shooting bigger guns to make up for what they lack in their pants just like guys driving big trucks who have no practical use for them
Big belt buckle, small brain....Its not like we elected a president who fit that description...

Big truck, small wallet (or/and other things)....do you really need 8000 pounds of steel to fetch a gallon of milk? Do you really need a 308 to incapacitate a human? And would you like to buck those 500 rounds of 308 or 223 up mount mother forker?

Apparently its better to be macho than on target on many levels in the human mind.
Old 03-05-2014, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
Big belt buckle, small brain....Its not like we elected a president who fit that description...

Big truck, small wallet (or/and other things)....do you really need 8000 pounds of steel to fetch a gallon of milk? Do you really need a 308 to incapacitate a human? And would you like to buck those 500 rounds of 308 or 223 up mount mother forker?

Apparently its better to be macho than on target on many levels in the human mind.
This guy is definitely NOT a real man.
My M14 can bench more than your AR any day.
Old 03-05-2014, 8:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I say they're shooting bigger guns to make up for what they lack in their pants
I'm quoting this idiocy for the 4th page to see.
Old 03-05-2014, 8:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4spd View Post
I like the M1A but i gave up 762NATO and my FAL a few years back due
to price and availability of non magnetic ammo here in Socal.The 556
is cheaper and more plentiful,not to mention i can shoot it offhand
with much more accuracy. In hindsight it looks like a win win because
762 ammo is still harder to get and quite a bit more expensive. Pete
Good points, it's definitely more expensive and usually in a heavier platform.
I prefer the heavy, solid feeling rifles personally (M1 Garand especially).
I ended up selling my AR when it started costing more to shoot than my Garand.
223 just didn't have the satisfaction for me at over 50c/round. I'm glad to see it's coming back down.
Old 03-05-2014, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 Blast View Post
LOL - he's still rocking a flip-phone.

Dang - that sure wasn't pretty. Closed casket for sure.
No, according to Calguns warriors, the .223 is such a weak round that he most likely was able to continue shooting back and didn't feel a thing. LOL
Old 03-05-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O MAN View Post
Yes, and the possibility to team up with, and work with others that are proficient with rifles that are not the same as yours is real. Also, I really don't care what rifle you choose, just make sure that you are proficient with the one you have, and it helps if you have a basic understanding of other rifles that are not like yours.
I'll leave it at this. CHeers
Old 03-05-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Yes, outlandish post apocalyptic SHTF fantasies always brings people together on calguns.

But I definitely not teaming up with any girly man who is using a rifle that I can pick up with my pinky.

/sarcasm

Last edited by Pryde; 03-05-2014 at 10:39 AM..
Old 03-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPun762 View Post
No, according to Calguns warriors, the .223 is such a weak round that he most likely was able to continue shooting back and didn't feel a thing. LOL
LOL I don't think Calgunners are saying the 223 is such a weak round, but that what the op said he might as well have wrote.

I spent all day shooting 80 rounds from a friends AR15. It was a nice and all.

After that, I picked up my 10/22 and realized how drastically lighter and more comfortable the traditional stock was to hold, quicker to point and aquire, and the muzzle blast of the 22lr, after shooting the 223 was nothing.

I realized what I took for granted, I feel right at home with my 10/22 today, and this only reinforces it.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
In context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
If some extremely unlikely SHTF event unfolds, you'll be well served by whichever rifle you prefer, as you're more likely to be proficient with it than a "better" rifle that you don't like taking out and having fun and practicing with.
Quote:
Yes, and the possibility to team up with, and work with others that are proficient with rifles that are not the same as yours is real. Also, I really don't care what rifle you choose, just make sure that you are proficient with the one you have, and it helps if you have a basic understanding of other rifles that are not like yours.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallabing View Post
I spent all day shooting 80 rounds from a friends M1A. It was nice and all.

After that, I picked up my AR15 and realized how drastically lighter and more comfortable it was to hold the AR15, quicker to point and aquire, and the recoil of the 223, after shooting 308 felt like nothing.

I realized what I took for granted, I feel right at home with my AR15 today, and this only reinforces it.
^ ^ ^ Good for you!

What's all the rest of this bickering about size and stream for? It's a tool box people, pick what you think will work the best. Ain't life grand?

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."
Old 03-05-2014, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

I thought this was a joke thread and would have died by now.

I have girls shooting 500 yards so this has to be about money and personnel preferences or fear of big rifles.

WTS New 1/53 #4Mk2 Enfield
I will deliver or ship, details to be arranged with buyer.
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1 View Post
I thought this was a joke thread and would have died by now.

I have girls shooting 500 yards so this has to be about money and personnel preferences or fear of big rifles.

If not for the extreme butthurt experienced by M14 fanatics by the mere suggestion that an AR can be superior in any way.

In addition, people here are being trolled by a guy who the moderators continue to tolerate that has no business on the forum, has never even lived in CA, and has been banned from every other gun forum on the internet, including the M14 forum, ironically enough.

Last edited by Pryde; 03-05-2014 at 12:18 PM..
Old 03-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Banned

Calgun's anti-M14 sycophants are so sensitive, and their feelings are easily hurt.
Old 03-05-2014, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Calgun's anti-M14 sycophants are so sensitive, and their feelings are easily hurt.
I think it's the other way around, ESPECIALLY YOU! There are some people that are going to enjoy the AR more than an M1A or an M1 Garand or an AK. Live with it. You like the M1A more? Cool, who gives a ****? I like all weapons including ARs and M1As. Hell I even like Glocks and 1911s!
Old 03-05-2014, 3:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPun762 View Post
I think it's the other way around, ESPECIALLY YOU!
And that's where YOU ARE WRONG!

I have clearly stated that I really don't care what rifle you choose.

Deal with it.
Old 03-05-2014, 3:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
This coming from the guy who was blathering all over Sniper's Hide about how great the EBR chassis is, then when challenged to bring it to a range and prove it admitted that "I don't have a rifle I can use". Yes, your opinion really hurts lol.

Still banned from the elections forum because I'm not a Cruz supporter.

Hi Kes!
Old 03-05-2014, 3:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
This coming from the guy who was blathering ...
LOL, you still spreading that lie?

There is a reason for your and Pride's diminished credibility, you spread lies.
You and your friends were on the wrong side of that clusterF@#~.

BTW, isn't Snipers Hide getting sued for libel? Maybe it should be a class action suit...

It's sad that after almost 5 years you and your friends continue to libel and defame me, it's very sad.

Mar. 22, 2010

BigPun762, I do remember how a certain individual (combat vet) that worked for KAC at the time
got himself in big trouble for spreading lies about M14 combat performance. He was proven WRONG.

Hoop, you, and those that side with you remind me of the small number of Obama apologists that are still active.
You and your ilk get all pissy / butthurt / overly argumentative if someone dares to disagree with you. You're pathetic.

Last edited by H2O MAN; 03-06-2014 at 8:34 AM..
Old 03-05-2014, 3:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallabing View Post
I spent all day shooting 80 rounds from a friends M1A. It was nice and all.

After that, I picked up my AR15 and realized how drastically lighter and more comfortable it was to hold the AR15, quicker to point and aquire, and the recoil of the 223, after shooting 308 felt like nothing.

I realized what I took for granted, I feel right at home with my AR15 today, and this only reinforces it.
You wouldn't say that if you shot a FAL

Old 03-05-2014, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
This coming from the guy who was blathering all over Sniper's Hide about how great the EBR chassis is, then when challenged to bring it to a range and prove it admitted that "I don't have a rifle I can use". Yes, your opinion really hurts lol.
I remember when they ban-hammered him for that.
Then they ban-hammered him on AR15, M4C and Lightfighter for telling real combat vets how they were wrong and that their crappy experiences with the M14 in service were untrue.

I just don't get how the world's biggest M14 fan can get banned from the internet's foremost M14 forum, but its not much of a surprise really.
Old 03-05-2014, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryde View Post
Then they ban-hammered him on AR15, M4C and Lightfighter for telling real combat vets how they were wrong and that their crappy experiences with the M14 in service were untrue.

I just don't get how the world's biggest M14 fan can get banned from the internet's foremost M14 forum, but its not much of a surprise really.
LOL! That is the funniest **** I've read.

Yea, I can tell he's a big M1A fan, and so am I. But I am not such a fanboy like this guy is. He has been spending his whole time on this thread trying to convince everybody on how much better the M1A is. I agree, it's a good rifle, but definitely not the best rifle.
Old 03-06-2014, 6:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Otoh, fewer things more obnoxious than some Richard telling someone they don't even know what kind of gun is best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryde View Post

No it's not, especially with the whining.

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 03-06-2014, 7:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Otoh, fewer things more obnoxious than some Richard telling someone they don't even know what kind of gun is best., especially with the whining.
Are you talking about post #1 with the M1A is to heavy, recoils to much & the AR is better?
Old 03-06-2014, 8:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
Are you talking about post #1 with the M1A is to heavy, recoils to much & the AR is better?
Not particularly.

To me, it's obvious the M1A is heavier than the AR. Though a bunch of people here report they put enough junk on an AR to take it to 10 pounds or more.

It's also obvious that the AR has less effective range than the M1A.

I have both and appreciate both for what they can do.

What I am talking about are those who, absolutely, tell you which is best. And, then get pissy / butthurt / overly argumentative if someone dares to disagree.

It's the way of the internet.

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 03-06-2014, 9:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post

I have both and appreciate both for what they can do.
Ditto.

Last edited by H2O MAN; 03-07-2014 at 2:24 AM..
Old 03-06-2014, 9:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well said.

You do something like that in an across the course match, (10 rounds in 1 minute with a mag change) and that's why M1a's aren't seen as much any longer, especially at the trophy stand.
Yes I have shot those and somehow managed to perform quite well with my Garand and 10 rounds of 30.06 in en-blocs (2 and 8).

Though I still never had to perform the stated 6-10rds in 2 seconds at 50yrds nor the 4rds in less than 4 seconds at 800yrds in any match, so while you have provided an answer, it isn't the answer to the question I asked.

Short of doing a dynamic entry in a combat zone, the 6-10rds/50yrds/2sec is nothing more than a mag dump for fun at the range and as such adds no real value to the .308/5.56 discussion.

The 4rds/800yrds/4sec has no basis of any kind in match or combat shooting. The closest actual event was performed during Vietnam by a Marine sniper named Chuck Mawhinney. He killed 16 NVA with 16 HEADSHOTS during a river crossing in something like 30 seconds..... and did it with an M14. A feat that some in here seem to think is impossible for someone to do with that caliber weapon.

Quote:
The op wasn't trying to discuss killing people, he was just commenting at how ergonomic and pleasant it was shooting an AR.
I never said the AR with its smaller round wasn't pleasant to shoot, merely pointed out the OP's Capt Obvious observation that a smaller round had less recoil. Ergonomics are a personal taste as well and myself (and MANY others) consider a rifle stock to much more ergo then a pistol grip.

Quote:
Why does every friggin thread get turned into a who's got a bigger dick?? Some of you guys are friggin off your rockers.
My Richard has nothing to do with this and even my wife (who has no Richard by the way) greatly prefers the bigger bullets and down range performance of a 30 cal rifle.

The problem is that mouse gun aficionados (who grew up thinking of the AR as a large caliber rifle) post threads like these and then immediately start trying to prove their Richards aren't really as small as they just made them seem.

Last edited by Steve_In_29; 03-16-2014 at 2:30 PM..
Old 03-06-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I really think this whole "carry more rounds" and "effects on human targets" is overrated for us civilian shooters.
Seriously, we are mainly target shooters and plinkers. Just shoot what you enjoy. If some extremely unlikely SHTF event unfolds, you'll be well served by whichever rifle you prefer, as you're more likely to be proficient with it than a "better" rifle that you don't like taking out and having fun and practicing with.

HOW MANY ROUNDS CAN YOU CARRY (from your car to the bench).
WHAT'S THE EFFECT ON THE TARGET (these paper targets are tough).
AMEN!!!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambam105 View Post
Ya'll making this AR vs. M14 thing too big of a deal:

Those of you who put Coca-Cola in your whiskey get the AR, those who drink their whiskey straight shoot M14's.

Simple.
And those who drink 190 proof 'shine get the 1903

Old 03-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
The closest actual event was performed during Vietnam by a Marine sniper named Chuck Mawhinney. He killed 16 NVA with 16 HEADSHOTS during a river crossing in something like 30 seconds..... and did it with an M14. A feat that some in here seem to think is impossible for someone to do with that caliber weapon.
Yes, and this happened decades later...

Last edited by H2O MAN; 03-06-2014 at 11:23 AM..
Old 03-06-2014, 11:27 AM

I will start off by saying I'm not an AR guy. Not that I don't appreciate them and that they aren't a fine weapon. They have proven themselves over the years to be very battle worthy and very easy to shoot. But one thing I will say is I don't get the satisfaction from shooting an AR. After shooting both the AR and an M1A, all I can say is hand the AR over to your girlfriend and shoot and real mans gun

Sacramento Black Rifle.
Old 03-06-2014, 1:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
Put 10 stripper clips through a Garand and then you can talk about recoil.
My M1 is very smooth shooting. It's more of a slow push than a kick.
Old 03-06-2014, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I really think this whole "carry more rounds" and "effects on human targets" is overrated for us civilian shooters.
Seriously, we are mainly target shooters and plinkers. Just shoot what you enjoy. If some extremely unlikely SHTF event unfolds, you'll be well served by whichever rifle you prefer, as you're more likely to be proficient with it than a "better" rifle that you don't like taking out and having fun and practicing with.

HOW MANY ROUNDS CAN YOU CARRY (from your car to the bench).
WHAT'S THE EFFECT ON THE TARGET (these paper targets are tough).
Let's be real, this is the majority of calgunners who argue my rifle is better than yours.

In my opinion, the AR and M1A aren't even comparable. Trying to do so leads to train wreck threads like this and forces me to exercise my ignore list from the sheer ignorance being spewed.
Old 03-06-2014, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Well said.
Why does every friggin thread get turned into a who's got a bigger dick?? Some of you guys are friggin off your rockers.
Quote:
The problem is that mouse gun aficionados (who grew up thinking of the AR as a large caliber rifle) post threads like these and then immediately start trying to prove their Richards aren't really as small as they just made them seem.
I'm going to just leave this here as beautiful display of irony and you inserting your foot into mouth.

Quote:

The AR doesn't have, "more efficient recoil management". What it has, due to it's MUCH less powerful round, is simply LESS recoil period.

Heck while you're at it why not throw in a comparison about how much easier it is to pick up the AR with just your pinky?

M1a too heavy?

Recoil too strong?

Put the purse down and man up.

All day to shot 80 rounds? I have put that many 30-06 rounds through my 7lb bolt gun in a couple hours.
It's obvious who has the unresolved masculinity issues here, the caliber of the gun is by no means the measure of a man, are you sure the "pinky" isn't in your pants?
Old 03-06-2014, 11:49 PM

Next time try shooting your AR after mosin M44, it feels like BB gun lol
Old 03-07-2014, 4:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDS View Post
Next time try shooting your AR after mosin M44,

Your shoulder will thank you,also Pete
The problem is HEADSPACE between the ears!
Obama for 8 years will be the worst thing to happen to
our country since the Civil War.
Old 03-07-2014, 4:54 AM

Own high end examples of both. Shoot high end examples of both. Enjoy my high end examples of both. Will keep my high end examples of both.
Old 03-07-2014, 6:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapoh View Post
Own high end examples of both. Shoot high end examples of both. Enjoy my high end examples of both. Will keep my high end examples of both.
Exactly this and any other rifle or caliber.

I get a kick out of all the KC's on these type of sites telling other people what they should be shooting. The OP merely stated he didn't like the M1a as much as he likes his AR and we get all this BS. I own and shoot a .338 Lapua type rifle. Does that make me better or a "bigger" man than everyone else that doesn't own at least this caliber? No. We still have some freedoms here in America and especially Ca. Your money, your preference, shoot what puts a grin on your face.

Last edited by stryper; 03-07-2014 at 6:52 AM..
Old 03-07-2014, 7:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapoh View Post
This, although when I move to a free state the M1A will probably go in favor of a MWS, unless I can afford to keep both of course.

Still banned from the elections forum because I'm not a Cruz supporter.

Hi Kes!
Old 03-07-2014, 4:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Alittle work and the M1A can be tuned for 223 like recoil. the weight ? the m14 is considered a mans rifle.
Old 03-07-2014, 4:35 PM

Both, both. Yayyy for both!
Old 03-07-2014, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
the m14 is considered a mans rifle.
What exactly does this mean?

Last time I checked, millions of men have gone into battle with a 5.56, 5.8 or 5.45 rifle and thousands of men have lost their lives to a .22 caliber sized round.
(edited for clarification)

The purpose of the weapon is to put a projectile into something to destroy or kill it, that goal can be accomplished regardless of the size of the bullet.

If you are into guns with bigger recoil be it a .308, .44 mag, or .50 bmg then more power to you.
If you need to convince yourself that enjoying recoil and shooting a bigger gun somehow makes you into a bigger or manlier man, then you got some issues that shooting an M14 ain't gonna fix.

Last edited by Pryde; 03-09-2014 at 10:00 PM..