Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:42 AM

Default New turret press. Looks like a boat wheel [Updated with new spent primer catch]

and is a heavy as an anchor. I was lucky enough to stumble into a Hollywood Senior Turret press. There are 8 stations. 4 of these take dies for bigger rounds. The previous owner has adapters that take standard dies. I can't get the adapters out but I'm not really all that worried about it. I spent the afternoon removing rust, old grease, old primers and powder from the press yesterday. A little love went a long way.

Updated today with new photos of depriming set up.

Last edited by 45R; 04-30-2014 at 7:58 AM..
Old 02-26-2014, 11:02 AM

That looks like it should be in a museum, keep us informed on your progress.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:03 AM

nice
Old 02-26-2014, 11:49 AM

You are one of the lucky few to acquire one of these rare presses. I have the same press. There is an aligning shaft that screws into the front so that you can use it as a swaging press. It is as sturdy as they get. Proper care and operation, this press will last you a lifetime, and then some. One of the best presses ever made. Congrats!!
Old 02-26-2014, 4:01 PM

The tie rod is the only thing that this press was missing. The local machine shop can probably make one for me
Old 02-26-2014, 9:16 PM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

ARRRRRGH MATEEY!

Have you tried some kroil on them thar extra bushings? Maybe even replace the others with the Hornady quick change bushings? (that will be expensive matey!)
Old 02-26-2014, 9:32 PM
Janitors Mop
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Love the old Hollywood presses! Absolute score!
Old 02-26-2014, 9:42 PM
Veteran Member

Nice press, OP. Is the turret still rusty? Most I have seen will have a bright finish on the steel. I just keep mine oiled. I did neglect it for a few years and had to spend a couple evenings cleaning it up again. I had actually clear coated the linkage bars and handle the previous time I cleaned it up and it kept them from rusting.

This is the press that I learned to reload on, while I was in junior high. My dad's dad bought the press many years ago. This one only has 7/8" holes for the dies. I have a few different die sets that are also hollywood and shell holders and priming arms. I was using it for 30 carbine ammo and 30-30 and 30-06 sizing. They are very strong presses. I now have my dillon 550 setup to run all of my ammo and can run rifle brass through my casefeeder, so it is much faster. I use a 1050 for 9mm ammo. I use the hollywood for oddball stuff or bullet pulling. It is a cool old press and like many others, I don't plan to part with it. They can cost more than a new dillon 550.

The castboolits forum has a number of hollywood fans and some good info on the presses and company.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:00 PM
Banned

That photo looks familiar...

Damn, now I want one of them pirate presses!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Calguns Addict

They will load up to 20MM

That is a big press
Old 02-27-2014, 7:09 AM

So how on earth do you guys "catch" the spent primers? I don't want my dog eating them off the floor. She will eat anything....except avocados.

The turret is sitting in a Kroil bath right now. I was able to get one of the die adapters off. 1 down 3 more to go!

Last edited by 45R; 02-27-2014 at 7:18 AM..
Old 02-27-2014, 9:31 AM
Veteran Member

The floor catches the primers

I was able to tape an old plastic film canister to the bottom of the press where the primers fall out of it. It did the job, but I didn't put the canister back when I cleaned the press again. My dogs have never bothered primers. The Hollywood is in a small utility room where the dogs don't go often, but the dillons are in the living room and the 550 does spit out some primers, but the dogs and cats don't even pay attention to them. I pick up all the primers I can find by hand, and the vacuum gets the rest. My bare feet usually find the stragglers. It used to seem like when I stepped on one but they don't really hurt, they just feel strange to step on, and now a primer on he floor is like
Old 02-27-2014, 9:44 AM
Veteran Member

Naval jelly works well for the rusty parts on the hollywood press. It leaves the steel nice and bright and then I just oiled the crap out of it. Actually, I used CLP on it and just wipe it down every few weeks or so with an rag that has that stuff on it. I don't remember if I used the naval jelly on any of the black finish. It might damage that. Evapo Rust from harbor freight works pretty well on some items like boolit molds, but it also left some of the metal with a slight gold hue. I like the gray look, so I don't use it so much.

I used a wire wheel on a bench grinder to clean my press the first time. It left a smooth bright finish. The wheel could scratch or polish the steel depending on the wheel and the hardness of the steel. A fine (blue) surfacing disc for a right angle die grinder also works well. I think I used that last time as there was only mild surface rust. I tried to keep the original wrinkle finish intact and then I hit the frame with some semi gloss black spray paint. It made it look clean and probably better than new, as it has a little sheen to it now.

I did take my press apart to clean it. The top cap was pretty simple and the rest was basic as well. I forgot that you just got started, OP. Kroil seems to be good stuff. I'm sure you will get the press looking good. I had a number of old boolit molds that had rusted up and looked pretty ugly. There didn't seem to be pitting just a nice layer of dark surface rust and dirt. The naval jelly took care of it and using the molds darkens the steel a bit from the heat cycling. They look good again and I keep them in a sealed ammo can.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

You need a set of Hollywood bullet swagging dies to make the press complete -- :-)
Old 02-27-2014, 12:54 PM

I got this idea from another forum member. I used a cap from a spray can to catch my spent primers. Drill a hole on the cap and attached it to the primer rod hole with a screw. Works great!!
Old 02-27-2014, 2:59 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions!

CTG- Still no luck getting the adapters off even with a Kroil bath. I figured it would be easier to get them off and sand the top of the turret down to remove any remaining rust. There is no pitting what so ever so if I can't the them off I will just use a dremel wheel to clean up the rest of the little bits.

Gunboat.....direct me towards the Hollywood Swagging dies for 308

Diesel, I'll try that out tonight.
Old 02-27-2014, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

Two more things that help get stuck stuff, unstuck: heat and vibration. The press likely has cast iron in it, so I wouldn't try an air hammer here, although it works on other items. Maybe a plastic hammer to tap on the adapters to help break the bond of the rust. A propane torch might help it along too. Obviously start out slow and careful. I use a product called pb blaster. I don't know if it will attack the finish, but it has worked for me in the past. My dad is actually the one who is sold on kroil, but I use it some too. Sometimes tightening the item/bolt/adapter just a little will help break the bond. A little force one way and then a little the other way.
Old 02-27-2014, 8:38 PM
Veteran Member

If you want the rust off after several weeks of hard labor soak it and spray it with all the magic fixes.

If you want it off in 5 minutes use Muriatic acid from your local hardware store but make sure the area is well ventilated.Put the press in a good bucket and pour a gallon of muriatic acid on it then pull it out of the bucket and immediately rinse it off with a garden hose.It will smoke and smell bad and if you missed any areas simply use a second bucket and dump from the first bucket.
Old 02-27-2014, 9:13 PM

This is the turret in all its glory day 1

A little messy.....

Working in getting all the parts off the turret

Minor detailing

Turret polished

All parts reinstalled

Old 02-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

I note it has a rcbs button shellholder -- is it in an adapter?
is the priming stud still there ? --
I presume you know the large thread stations are for shotshell dies --
As the say'n goes "she cleans up good".

Although it was just a jest about the bullet swage dies, I do have a set of 30 cal dies.
They only fit a hollywood press' -
At my age I am not likely to get a hollywood press so I probably should let them go -- pm me if you have an interest -
Old 02-28-2014, 7:13 AM

That is the RCBS shell holder kit for the Hollywood.
Old 02-28-2014, 7:32 AM
Probationary Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Okay, you got me. I don't NEED one but sure do WANT one. It's time for me to start looking!
Old 02-28-2014, 9:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45R View Post
So how on earth do you guys "catch" the spent primers? I don't want my dog eating them off the floor. She will eat anything....except avocados.

The turret is sitting in a Kroil bath right now. I was able to get one of the die adapters off. 1 down 3 more to go!
I catch them in empty avocado husks, why do you ask?
Old 03-03-2014, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel12 View Post
I got this idea from another forum member. I used a cap from a spray can to catch my spent primers. Drill a hole on the cap and attached it to the primer rod hole with a screw. Works great!!
I used that method yesterday to deprime about 250 pieces of brass. It worked perfect!

Last edited by 45R; 03-03-2014 at 8:11 AM..
Old 03-03-2014, 8:52 AM

That cleaned up beautifully!
Old 04-30-2014, 7:05 AM

So I got bored of depriming into a cup....and decided that Hollywood needed a little upgrade. I picked up some brass parts that would thread into the shell holder adapter and fit into a 3/8 ID rubber tube. The primers fall perfectly into a new home. Nice and clean set up.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:36 PM

Thumbs up

Great idea. I may give that a try.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:59 AM
Banned

That is still an awesome press...