Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-26-2014, 8:13 AM

Default inconsistant decapping 9mm, Hornady progressive

Fairly new reloader using a LNL progressive and 9mm Hornady dies. Mixed headstamp factory loads and some freedom munitions reloads.

My issue is that during decapping, occasionally, a primer will jam the shell plate keeping the plate from rotating.

For now, the set-up is only the decapping die in place. I like to wet tumble after decapping, so I'm just decapping and sizing in this operation.

The die set-up instructions tell you to run the die down until it hits the shell plate at top of stroke. The decapping pin 3/16 below the die body. No real problem understanding that.

FWIW, reloaded rounds seem sized corectly and cycle fine in my pistol, so I'm not worried about the sizing aspect ofthe die. Seems fine.

I had some early-on issue with primers not fully pushing out, so I continued to screw down the decapping rod. I'd occasionally check that the primer was not completely pushed out which means you have to pull the shell plate and take a look. Haven't done that in a while though.

As of late, I had the pin so low that if I'm decapping and the occasional Ammoland case cycles into the press, it will lock up as the ammoland cases have thicker bottoms. I still occasionally get the press to lock up on rotating the shell plate.

The shell plate, of course, won't rotate much in this state and the fix is to rotate the plate back to center under the die. Sometimes the primer will fall down the drop tube on its own, sometimes you have to start the ram back up and it falls out and sometimes you have to go back to full stroke before the primer drops.

So, now I'm thinking that the primer is really coming out of the case and somehow, is just hanging up in the shell plate and/or drop tube. For the past couple of hunderd cases, I have been backing out the pin to a more normal extension and the press seems to be behaving better. Now I'm mostly out of brass, so I can't do much more investigation, so I'm asking for any others experience. Perhaps this is something someone else had experienced as well.

Otherwise, I have the other dies set-up and am making fairly consistent loads and I'm completely happy with the end result.

Thoughts?
Old 02-26-2014, 8:29 AM

Try reshaping or polishing the tip of the pin. Seams to be the fix for others with your issue. Google it.

Last edited by robinfly6; 02-26-2014 at 8:38 AM..
Old 02-26-2014, 8:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

is your shell plate coming loose?

might want to check it again
Old 02-26-2014, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinfly6 View Post
Try reshaping or polishing the tip of the pin.
How will that help?
Old 02-26-2014, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in California View Post
How will that help?
The pin press fits itself into the primer anvil and when lowering the ram the primer is being pulled back into the case partially and jamming keeping the shell plate from rotating. Grinding more of a point on the pin helps but don't make it too pointed or you can puncture through the primer.

Reference this link for example

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-587797.html
Old 02-26-2014, 8:46 AM

This may help if you haven't checked already, did you tighten down the decapping spindle, (and not by hand). If you don't it could slip and not allow it to decap all the way leaving the primer half way stuck. Also what "bastard" said as well.
Old 02-26-2014, 9:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Is any of your brass crimped primer NATO? I have had the primer extrusion thing happen with a couple different years, WCC 08 is particularly stubborn. I load on a turret so I just push the primer flat & I it always pops out the second try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 02-26-2014, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
is your shell plate coming loose?

might want to check it again
Nope. Checked it multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmai24 View Post
This may help if you haven't checked already, did you tighten down the decapping spindle, (and not by hand). If you don't it could slip and not allow it to decap all the way leaving the primer half way stuck. Also what "bastard" said as well.
Yep. Also put a piece of masking tape on the spindle to see if the spindle was moving. On the hornady, the tip is replacable and you have a cap that has to be tight to remove any play and that is tight too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
Is any of your brass crimped primer NATO? I have had the primer extrusion thing happen with a couple different years, WCC 08 is particularly stubborn. I load on a turret so I just push the primer flat & I it always pops out the second try.
Nope. Speer lawman and federal bulk for the most part. Some Ammoland too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinfly6 View Post
The pin press fits itself into the primer anvil and when lowering the ram the primer is being pulled back into the case partially and jamming keeping the shell plate from rotating. Grinding more of a point on the pin helps but don't make it too pointed or you can puncture through the primer.

Reference this link for example

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-587797.html
This makes sense. I was not considering that the primer could stick to the pin and the pin pull the primer back up into the case. I have extra pins. I'll grind a point on one and give it a shot. Glad to see that there is some evidence that its not me.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:12 PM

Follow up: Over lunch I went and pulled my decapping pin and a handful of spent primers. I was able to get about 20% of the primers to stick to the pin with just hand pressure.

I put a bit of a chamfer on the pin using a diamond file and a drill press and polished with some scotchbrite and now, I only get about 10% of the original stickers to stick. It really doesn't mean much until I get back to the press and do some more decapping, but it confirms the diagnosis. Eventually, I'll report back when I find some more ammo to decap. I might have a little more laying around somewhere.
Old 02-26-2014, 7:20 PM

Call hornady customer service, they are excellent.

Calguns Contributor

CRPA Member