Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:02 AM
Default Help with Lee 9mm crimping die

Can anybody refer me to a good read/video on how to properly set up either my bullet seating die to apply a crimp or the factory crimp die? I'd prefer to use the bullet seating die since I'm using a single stage press. I guess I'm just not understanding the instructions I have read.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:17 AM

Be careful about crimping, can lead to boom.

Put a case in the shell holder, run the piston up, screw the die in (seater backed out) until it makes light contact with the case, lower the piston and check to see if you have removed the bell, if so put another belled case in with a projectile sitting in the case mouth and drive it into the die and start screwing in the seater die until you make contact, keep on screwing it in util you have reached the proper oal.

Or watch this.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:31 AM
Calguns Addict

I contacted lee because their instruction and help vid were conflicting.

Follow this video to have the bullet seating die do a minor crimp. Their paper instructions for the bullet seating die assume you are using the Factory Crimp Die afterwards .. that's preferred.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:26 PM

I always seat in one operation and crimp in a second operation to get better results. When seating and crimping in one operation you can over crimp the bullet causing a case bulge. On top of this the crimping of the case mouth increases seating force which causes OAL problems.

Uniform crimping requires that the cases all be the same length, a long case will be over crimped and a short case will be under crimped.

Below are "exaggerated" crimp types.

For your 9mm the taper crimp die should be called "the miniscule crimp and case mouth streamlining die" A good taper crimp should be only be .002 smaller than normal case diameter. The taper crimp removes the case mouth flaring done to ease seating the bullet with just the minimum of crimping and streamlining of the case mouth.

Below is a good example of a taper crimp on the left and a roll crimp on the right.

Below, 50 rounds with Rainier plated bullets and a "miniscule crimp".

Old 02-25-2014, 12:35 PM

I crimp mine with the Lee FCD so that the mouth diameter is .375-.377", just barely enough to remove the flare.
Old 02-25-2014, 1:27 PM

I gave up trying to get this right and just went for two steps with the lee factory crimp die. It is possible to get this right, but didn't work out for me.
Old 02-25-2014, 3:38 PM
Location: SF Bay Area then go east to the hills with wind mills

Try backing off the LFC and run up a factory round then snug up the crimp die. This will match your factory round on your flared cases.
If you make up dummy rounds for all your caliber and bullet types it will save time when changing out by just snugging your dies to the dummies. Then your off and running.
Old 02-25-2014, 7:35 PM

Pablo5959, I never even thought about your technique to adjust the LFC die. It's so simple, that its genious. I'm going to start using your technique