Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-24-2014, 8:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Need Input!

I was on the phone with a friend in Az. last week and somehow we got on the subject of 300 Blackout.

He claimed that he heard "they" hadn't perfected the round yet and that "they" were having problems getting the gun to cycle.

"They" being the shooting public in general.

Is this true? or was he fed a bunch of fud.

I felt it was fud, for the simple fact the round has been with us for awhile and generally problems with loads usually get worked out pretty fast.

So, please educate me gentlemen.

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2014, 9:02 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Sounds like FUD to me.

Deal of the Week - Updated Every Monday

http://www.alliedbrassprocessing.com/
Professional Brass Processing Service of your 223/5.56, 300 AAC Blackout and 9MM brass at an affordable price
PM me about local dropoff and pickups
Old 02-24-2014, 9:50 PM
Calguns Addict

what is the definition of cycle problems. Home defence guys demand herculean reliability from their guns @ 3-sigma which @ what, 99.999% means one failure acceptable within 10,000 rounds? Safari rifle users demand somewhat looser reliability, but still demands something they can trust their life to.

most of us don't need something so reliable, since we shoot at the range and home and that's it.

How many of you can claim 10,000 rounds through a 300 blk? How many of you could experience 1 failure in one HUNDRED rounds and call that perfectly acceptable? (frankly, I would! But not everyone else would...)

Last edited by Whiterabbit; 02-24-2014 at 9:52 PM..
Old 02-25-2014, 12:44 AM

As someone who reloads and cast his own boolits for a few rifle calibers (just starting on 300 black out), it sounds like your friend may have misunderstood information circulating in the reloading community. I've read several threads about this or that smokeless powder that is being tried for reloads that won't cycle gas guns. Often those powders aren't ideal and are just being tested out or work fine for bolt actions or single shot use. There are several established loads and powders that work well with 300 blackout. Perhaps he merely took in some of the information and applied it to the caliber as a whole?

Also, results may vary due to different bullet weights, barrel length and gas port location. But that could apply for all cartridges. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by K7addict; 02-25-2014 at 1:02 AM..
Old 02-25-2014, 2:35 AM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjack956 View Post
I was on the phone with a friend in Az. last week and somehow we got on the subject of 300 Blackout.

He claimed that he heard "they" hadn't perfected the round yet and that "they" were having problems getting the gun to cycle.

"They" being the shooting public in general.

Is this true? or was he fed a bunch of fud.

I felt it was fud, for the simple fact the round has been with us for awhile and generally problems with loads usually get worked out pretty fast.

So, please educate me gentlemen.

Thanks!
Someone here loads for 300 whisper which is pretty close to the same and he has no issues. He is still building loads but from what I saw they seemed to fire fine in his AR...
Old 02-25-2014, 8:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7addict View Post
As someone who reloads and cast his own boolits for a few rifle calibers (just starting on 300 black out), it sounds like your friend may have misunderstood information circulating in the reloading community. I've read several threads about this or that smokeless powder that is being tried for reloads that won't cycle gas guns. Often those powders aren't ideal and are just being tested out or work fine for bolt actions or single shot use. There are several established loads and powders that work well with 300 blackout. Perhaps he merely took in some of the information and applied it to the caliber as a whole?
Also, results may vary due to different bullet weights, barrel length and gas port location. But that could apply for all cartridges. Just my thoughts.
Thanks for the reply. This is probably the case. I will get more info.
Old 02-25-2014, 8:55 AM
Calguns Addict

100% reliability with ammo made by competent people or 100% reliability with ammo made by incompetent people?

Cutting down 223 and forming cases might be a little too much for some people who don't know or care that case wall thickness varies by brand, that chamber dimensions vary by manufacturer, that load data varies as well.
Old 02-25-2014, 8:56 AM
Calguns Addict

100% reliability with ammo made by competent people or 100% reliability with ammo made by incompetent people?

Cutting down 223 and forming cases might be a little too much for some people who don't know or care that case wall thickness varies by brand, that chamber dimensions vary by manufacturer, that load data varies as well.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 PM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

You can say that again!