Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-25-2014, 8:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mod View Post
Thank god for Twistyd1, I just got back from home depot and was seriously considering drilling the bastard out:

Old 02-25-2014, 8:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
45 years of shooting 28 of loading and never had a squib.
Old 02-25-2014, 8:35 PM
Veteran Member

Dark Mod, what kind of press do you load on? just asking because I have a piggyback and it would be hard for me to move the round to the next station without going to the powder drop station (not saying it can't be done) but just wondering what kind of press you use.
My new saying is, "when the last informed shooter gets fed up setting the record straight from all the trolls, only trolls will be on Calguns.."
Close to the edge here brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 02-25-2014, 8:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_wizzard View Post
Dark Mod, what kind of press do you load on? just asking because I have a piggyback and it would be hard for me to move the round to the next station without going to the powder drop station (not saying it can't just wondering what kind of press you use.
Its a Hornady LNL, and the shell wouldnt have skipped a station, im thinking something got gunked up inside the powder measure and either stopped it from dropping entirely or only let a few granules out.

The only other thing i can think of is that sometimes i adjust the the depth of the powder measure while im loading if i notice it rotating slightly, and when i did, i must have turned the quick change bushing to where it didnt lock and the entire powder measure assembly was rising off the press when a case went into the mouth instead of just the linkage and powder bar.

Im gonna pull all the bullets and see how many of them were squibs, this is where the lockout die would have helped.

― Roger Zelazny, The Great Book of Amber

Last edited by Dark Mod; 02-25-2014 at 8:54 PM..
Old 02-25-2014, 9:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Its a Hornady LNL, and the shell wouldnt have skipped a station, im thinking something got gunked up inside the powder measure and either stopped it from dropping entirely or only let a few granules out.

The only other thing i can think of is that sometimes i adjust the the depth of the powder measure while im loading if i notice it rotating slightly, and when i did, i must have turned the quick change bushing to where it didnt lock and the entire powder measure assembly was rising off the press when a case went into the mouth instead of just the linkage and powder bar.

Im gonna pull all the bullets and see how many of them were squibs, this is where the lockout die would have helped.
Anytime anything breaks your rhythm you need to exercise the upmost in diligence making sure that everything is as is should be before you restart your press. having a 3-year old with urgent messages about butterflys, pee-pee in the potty, Lego builds and such, I must constantly be on my guard reloading. SPP .45ACP is another interruption.
Old 02-26-2014, 6:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Anytime anything breaks your rhythm you need to exercise the upmost in diligence making sure that everything is as is should be before you restart your press. having a 3-year old with urgent messages about butterflys, pee-pee in the potty, Lego builds and such, I must constantly be on my guard reloading. SPP .45ACP is another interruption.
those and crimped 9mm, I size/deprim 10 or so cases before I start reloading, that way if I run into something like that I can exchange the case in the priming station and keep on moving.
My new saying is, "when the last informed shooter gets fed up setting the record straight from all the trolls, only trolls will be on Calguns.."
Close to the edge here brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 02-26-2014, 1:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
And you know just how many rounds I have loaded huh? you a freaking Boss!
You are the one who said you are the great shooter and reloader. So how many? The simple facts are when you load into the thousands per month on a progressive, month after month, year after year, you will have an issue. One of the guys a I know loaded 1,000 rounds with scrap of paper stuck in the powder measure. He had to pull the bullets on all 1,000 rounds and start over after clearing the powder measure.
Old 02-26-2014, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
You are the one who said you are the great shooter and reloader. So how many? The simple facts are when you load into the thousands per month on a progressive, month after month, year after year, you will have an issue. One of the guys a I know loaded 1,000 rounds with scrap of paper stuck in the powder measure. He had to pull the bullets on all 1,000 rounds and start over after clearing the powder measure.
Ouch. I thought I had it bad pulling 100 .223's with bumped shoulders. Your friend wins!
Old 02-26-2014, 9:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twystd1 View Post
It's fixed.

We used a chicken leg bone wrapped with a shrink wrap condom.

Then beat on it with a bag of hand cuffs.

Came right out like a midnight hooker running from her pimp with no money in her pocket.

Easy peasy.

-T
LOL One of the best descriptions I've ever read.
Old 02-26-2014, 9:49 PM
Superfluous
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yep. It's always fun knocking out 2 pieces of lead out a .357 mag barrel with 2 hot rounds in the adjoining cylinders.

And the cylinder was locked up to the frame and the hot loads were crammed against the frame as well.

2 Lead filled shooting bags (50 lbs), double ears and double eyes made it safe.

We custom made a tool for this particular stuck boolit. We had a blast doing it.

You guys should know that DarkMod does many good things for our shooting community.
We should all be grateful to get an opportunity to help the men that help us all.
(And he is kinda funny lukin so we feel sorry for him)

Now I gotta figure out how the hell to silver solder this Enfield front sight on without cooking the barrel.

-T
Old 02-27-2014, 6:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMiK View Post
Ouch. I thought I had it bad pulling 100 .223's with bumped shoulders. Your friend wins!
Yea, after he paid $40 for the match fee, and all the rounds he had with him were crap...
Old 02-27-2014, 7:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
He had to pull the bullets on all 1,000 rounds and start over after clearing the powder measure.
YIKES!

OK... pulling 300 stoutly crimped .357 bullets out of "reloads of unknown but dubious origin" back in the Great Ammo Drought of '09-'10 with a whackamole puller doesn't seem so bad now.

Yes... disassembling loaded ammo with an inertial puller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 02-27-2014, 9:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

in the picture of the revolver in the vice that the op posted, are those LIVE rounds in the cylinder ?
Old 02-27-2014, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So i got a squib a couple nights back in my 6" gp100. The projectile is wedged from the chamber throat through the forcing cone and locked up the whole revolver. This was with a 158 grn plated Xtreme bullet.

So i get around to pounding it out tonight with a rubber mallet and a wooden dowel. Snapped the dowel. Tried again this time with a whole bunch of clp soaking in the bore, snapped the dowel again.

No brass or copper rods around so i use an aluminum cleaning rod and bent it after a good 2 or 3 minutes of whacking.

Brought out another cleaning rod, same thing.

This time i bring out the big metal mining hammer, soak the bore with more clp, wrap the whole damn thing in a towel, and mangled the living daylights out of my last aluminum cleaning rod.

Everytime ive checked the bore with a bore light, the bullet hasnt moved. Im thinking the base of the bullet is getting hung up by the mouth of the cartridge....

At any rate, anyone have some advanced squib busting techniques that dont involve whacking a rod with a hammer?

Im about to go to home depot, buy a really long drill bit and wrap it in duct tape to act as a guide. Maybe leave 1/2" of the tip un-taped and drill a hole, then pass something through the hole and pull it out the muzzle.
This, but start small, like a pilot. Eventually you can collapse the projectile and get it out
Old 02-27-2014, 12:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
in the picture of the revolver in the vice that the op posted, are those LIVE rounds in the cylinder ?
The bullet from the squib is lodged in the CB gap. Not much you can do about the rounds in the cylinder. It's OK. As long as you don't saw off the recoil shield and whack a punch into the primers with a hammer they should be OK.

Quote:
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 02-27-2014, 5:04 PM
Superfluous

The revolver has long been fixed.

-T
Old 02-27-2014, 8:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
Yes they are, but the cylinder was locked in place so there was no way to get them out until the squib was busted.

Thanks Twystd1, Ill get that collet puller back to you tomorrow if your going to be home afterworkish

Old 02-27-2014, 8:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
YIKES!

OK... pulling 300 stoutly crimped .357 bullets out of "reloads of unknown but dubious origin" back in the Great Ammo Drought of '09-'10 with a whackamole puller doesn't seem so bad now.

Yes... disassembling loaded ammo with an inertial puller!
That's your story for this? I'm not buying it.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:27 PM

I was gonna suggest heating it up with a heat gun.. then hitting it. but you already got it fixed. congrats
Old 02-28-2014, 12:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
(don't slug your bore with linotype)

LOL...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 02-28-2014, 5:29 AM

Quote:
So i got a squib a couple nights back in my 6" gp100. The projectile is wedged from the chamber throat through the forcing cone and locked up the whole revolver. This was with a 158 grn plated Xtreme bullet.
The same thing just happened to me yesterday - using a 158gr SWC X-Treme copper plated bullet! In my case, a Ruger SP101 with 2-1/4" barrel.

On only my 5th shot from my first batch of reloads using them. Now I read your post. I hope this is just a coincidence and not something they are known for.

Was very happy with the price and free shipping plus they are pretty too. But can't have this. Glad you got you issue solved, now it's my turn.
Old 02-28-2014, 8:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchblade View Post
The same thing just happened to me yesterday - using a 158gr SWC X-Treme copper plated bullet! In my case, a Ruger SP101 with 2-1/4" barrel.

On only my 5th shot from my first batch of reloads using them. Now I read your post. I hope this is just a coincidence and not something they are known for.

Was very happy with the price and free shipping plus they are pretty too. But can't have this. Glad you got you issue solved, now it's my turn.
It's not a bullet problem, it's a powder drop problem/operator error.
Old 02-28-2014, 8:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchblade View Post

Cant blame the bullets, the only reason for a squib would be no powder in the case. Its nearly always user error.

Old 02-28-2014, 8:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
That's your story for this? I'm not buying it.
Some of the 158gr SJHP bullets actually ejected the lead core from the jackets... Whoever loaded 'em didn't spare the horses with the crimper.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-28-2014, 1:16 PM
Superfluous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
Some of the 158gr SJHP bullets actually ejected the lead core from the jackets... Whoever loaded 'em didn't spare the horses with the crimper.
I have seen that happen with my own eyes. I would not have believed it if i didn't see it for myself.

The guy that had the problem OVER EFFING CRIMPED the crappp out of his .44 mag rounds using a (not plated) jacketed copper projos.

Damdest thing I have ever seen. Left a lot of the copper jacket in the barrel and the lead was shot down range.
Weird.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twystd1 View Post

Damdest thing I have ever seen. Left a lot of the copper jacket in the barrel and the lead was shot down range.
Weird.
I was disassembling the rounds with my whackamole. It spit the lead out & left the jackets in the case.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-01-2014, 7:57 AM

Quote:

I have a powder cop and it seems to work well when you are paying attention to it.
and always pay attention, squibs happen, bad in a double tap scenario however in my guns, they dont ejct the brass

Just shake your cases to see if they have powder in them, or weigh them, variances of 6 to 10 grain are prettyy easily detected even by feel.