Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-23-2014, 1:48 PM

get some soluble oil from a machine shop supply, mix 10-1 with water and you will have a perfect replacement, I keep mine in old Hoppes #9 bottles. I have been cleaning guns with it for the last 50 years. My father used to get from the machine shop where he worked. They used gallons of the stuff. Works for old corrosive primers, too.
Old 02-23-2014, 1:59 PM

never used it anyways...just give me my good ol' Hoppes. sucks for the Ballistol club though.
Old 02-23-2014, 2:55 PM

Maybe we can get hickok45 to start smuggling sending Ballistol to us here behind enemy lines.
Old 03-17-2014, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchblade View Post
I like the smell and Amazon took my order!
Tried ordering every variant of Ballistol @ Amazon, none can be added to "my cart":

Important Message
Ballistol Multi-Purpose Lubricant, Non-Aerosol, 16 oz. can, etc.

Not the non-aerosol, pump, nothing.

ADDENDUM: I can't order through Midway, either. "My state or region prohibits shipment of this product" Sheesh.

Now what to use??

Last edited by lovnik; 03-17-2014 at 3:43 PM..
Old 03-17-2014, 6:49 PM

What are you Ballistol guys so impressed with that it works on? Just metal surfaces? Do you use it for removing copper or lead fouling from a bore? I've tried it in the bore and the only thing I would say it worked on was removing powder fouling. The copper streaks stayed right there. I'd like to hear from someone if they can get it to remove copper/lead fouling.

-not knocking the product itself but I wouldn't use it as my only bore cleaner. maybe protecting the clean bore afterwards.
Old 03-17-2014, 7:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcollector View Post
What are you Ballistol guys so impressed with that it works on? Just metal surfaces? Do you use it for removing copper or lead fouling from a bore? I've tried it in the bore and the only thing I would say it worked on was removing powder fouling. The copper streaks stayed right there. I'd like to hear from someone if they can get it to remove copper/lead fouling.

-not knocking the product itself but I wouldn't use it as my only bore cleaner. maybe protecting the clean bore afterwards.
When I first started using it, I used it as a bore cleaner for my shotgun. Frog Lube is more expensive and a 12 gauge shotgun barrel has a lot of metal surface, Ballistol was cheaper.

I've since stopped using it and changed to using WD-40 instead, WD-40 is basically free for me because I buy them with Home Depot gift cards using points on my Amex. Both Ballistol and WD-40 works well as a solvent because there are basically no copper fouling on shotguns, just carbon and plastic.

These days, I use Ballistol as a household lube. I've found that it works wonder on sliding windows, a quick spray and the my sliding windows works like they're gliding on ice. I also used it on one of my home security sensor, which was sticking a bit, causing it not to trigger when the door is opened. Sprayed Ballistol on it and it now works properly.
Old 03-17-2014, 7:44 PM
Calguns Addict

WD40 got pulled and now has a CA carb compliant version
Old 03-17-2014, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanPedroShooter View Post
It should be the aerosol and not the contents, we live in bizzaro world x10
It's not the world we live in that is bizzaro, it's the state of California. Only in California can anything and everything be banned...
Old 03-17-2014, 9:42 PM

According to there web site, all of there products were affected. >> http://www.ballistol.com/faqs/
S.A.S.S #74217
.45 Colt Enthusiast
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-17-2014, 9:57 PM
Veteran Member

CARB has ruined woodworking too. I can't get oil based varnishes. I have to use crappy water based varnishes.

The good news: Its only illegal to sell, not to use. So if you do get some balistol, use it with impunity.

Sadly, what will likely happen is that balistol will modify its products for everyone so they don't end up with different "versions" for california and the rest of the country. So it will stuck for everybody.

It happened with gas cans too. Now they have those stupid saftey locks across the country that spill more gas than they put int he tank. All because of Cali.
Old 03-18-2014, 9:02 AM
Calguns Addict

California has been banning aerosols since the 1970's. They find a bad chemical and then it's replaced with the next one, until that is also banned.

TEF was the best electronic cleaner/degreaser ever, outlawed since the 1980's. Chemists have no limits to create replacements, most more deadly than the banned ones. I had friends that owned a chemical aerosol spray cleaner biz. Every year they were reformulating something. You got to stay ahead of the experts in Excremento.

Gun cleaning is much more simple. Use deadly, cancerous petrolium products that stink or use something non-toxic that has no smell.
Old 03-18-2014, 9:08 AM

No worries. I switched to this.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:49 PM

Dang this is my secret ingredient for gin and tonics

Eat the rich the poor taste like despair.

FLORIDA It's not the heat it's the stupidity.

BLACK RIFLES MATTER
Old 03-18-2014, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gleam View Post
CARB = nothing good. Seriously, look up the power and authority they wield and it is quite overwhelming their un-chained influence.

Want to get older cars off the road? Grease the palm of CARB.

Want to kill hot-rodding and tuning cars EVEN IF THEY PASS A SMOG TEST and do away with sales of aftermarket performance parts!!!?? Grease the palm of CARB.

Want to frustrate gun owners? Grease the palm of CARB.

Oh, and by the way - that "grease" doesn't have to be low VOC. Surprisingly they'll let that slide.
I am a big car guy, and not too long ago, i saw a video of a 90s miata go through a smog test. it passed okay but not great. they then proceeded to put a turbo in it, kick it up about 50-60 hp and re test it. the friggin thing passed with FLYING COLORS!!! but of course it didnt pass because it could not pass visual because of no CARB sticker.

just another way for the state to swindle money out of you.
Old 03-18-2014, 2:19 PM

purchase thru ebay.........no issues receiving in Kalifornia
Old 03-18-2014, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio View Post
CARB = Death of CA period.
CARB, a gift from Reagan, the republicans super hero.
Old 03-20-2014, 6:49 AM

After this thread started we immediately bought a couple cans online via Amazon. Now, using the exact same purchase page, they will not ship it to the same address. I DO believe most sellers on Ebay will still ship it to California, but a few auction pages say they won't.

EDIT: read this at J&R Sports Supply: "…because of CA Air Resources Board standards, we will not send Ballistol at this time to CA. Ballistol does not comply with these standards. Ballistol liquid just needs a label revision to comply. Ballistol aerosol needs to reduce the VOC % + a label revision to comply.

So, you see labels are harmful to your health.
Without the correct label Ballistol is too dangerous to buy and use.
Somebody might mistake it for Whiskey or soda pop, I guess ?

Last edited by Darto; 03-20-2014 at 7:14 AM..
Old 03-20-2014, 8:37 AM

Don't buy Ballistol directly from them on Amazon. Get it through resellers, I found one that doesn't trigger the shipping flag: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._al_bw_g200_i5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Seriously??
Have you looked around?
Nutjobs are the staple of CGN, at least in OT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Tree View Post
Then again, Dick's never ceases to leave a bad taste in the mouth.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:06 AM

Followup:

The two 16oz cans of Ballistol arrived today, using that link above. So if you want to get some while this stupid ban is in place, best hurry up before they're told they can't ship it here any more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Seriously??
Have you looked around?
Nutjobs are the staple of CGN, at least in OT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Tree View Post
Then again, Dick's never ceases to leave a bad taste in the mouth.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenodnarb View Post
CARB has ruined woodworking too. I can't get oil based varnishes. I have to use crappy water based varnishes.

The good news: Its only illegal to sell, not to use. So if you do get some balistol, use it with impunity.

Sadly, what will likely happen is that balistol will modify its products for everyone so they don't end up with different "versions" for california and the rest of the country. So it will stuck for everybody.

It happened with gas cans too. Now they have those stupid saftey locks across the country that spill more gas than they put int he tank. All because of Cali.
I laid a solid oak floor in my house on the California coast. Bought my high-VOC cancer causing baby killing liberal freak-out varnish in Reno, on a trip between house in Idaho and California.

For fuel tanks...http://ezpourspout.com/wp/

Get enough interest started, mail me some $$, and I can help you with a group buy. They're around $11-12 each at my local farm store. They work superbly.

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain