Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-20-2014, 5:01 AM

Default SCAR 17S trigger job

Not wanting to throw $300+ at a trigger and absolutely sick of the 5 stage trigger I went to town this morning.

This trigger group is incredibly easy to work on. Remove the small screw from the right side selector switch and slide out the left hand side. If you ever get confused as to which side the pins come out just take a look at all the pins, the ones on the left hand side have heads. Remove all the pins and near the bottom of the group you will see two machined surfaces, it is the lower surfaces that make up the sear and hammer. You can see these two surface work when dry firing before disassembly. Note, be sure to not let the hammer slam forward into the polymer as cracking may happen.

I cleaned the surfaces with alcohol to get down to bare metal and hooked up a small buffing wheel to my Dremel. The surface on the trigger is the culprit as you can see a ridge that runs horizontally and it is there that the sear snags during release. I hit the trigger until the surface was free of that ridge and then polished both surfaces until mirror smooth. I then wiped down and lubricated with synthetic grease and reassembled. NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE! Sorry Geissele, just saved 1000 155g palma bullets worth of cash.

lates

Last edited by Knife Edge; 02-20-2014 at 5:04 AM..
Old 02-20-2014, 5:16 AM
Calguns Addict

What you think the pull went down to?
Old 02-20-2014, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc View Post
What you think the pull went down to?
I am guessing its 7 to 8 pounds but no hangups, wicked smooth. I have been practicing quite a bit of dry fire on the squirrels in my yard and I can get breaks with zero deflection in the reticle, good enough for me.
Old 02-20-2014, 5:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Nice!!

Anything better then like a BRICK pull!
Old 03-04-2014, 12:22 AM

Have you fired your rifle since the trigger job? Tell us about the improvements.
Old 03-04-2014, 4:27 AM

I have been practicing quite a bit of dry fire on the squirrels in my yard and I can get breaks with zero deflection in the reticle, good enough for me.
Old 03-04-2014, 4:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Do you have a picture of what you polished? Mine could use some love as well.

Originally Posted by icallshotgun88:

I'm sorry, but if you don't think Glocks are reliable then we can't be friends...
Old 03-04-2014, 6:29 PM

Are the triggers like ar triggers ? Could you add jp yellow springs ?
Old 03-04-2014, 6:45 PM
Trigger Warning
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbaca View Post
Are the triggers like ar triggers ? Could you add jp yellow springs ?
I can answer this. No. SCARs use a different set up and the hammer spring is much more robust in the SCAR. It is a wire wrapped coil (I forgot what it is called). So it is made of twisted spring wire like AK wire, but it is wound into a coil.

TO THE OP: I did a trigger job on my first SCAR. One way to lower the pull is to reduce the length of the hammer spring coil. I simply cut off about 1 and one half coils and it helped. I think you could easily cut off more.

The hammer springs are available if you want to buy a spare. I think Midwest PX carries them.

Later I went ahead and bought a "G" trigger for my 17 and it made a huge difference even over the polished trigger.

Personally, I believe that on the SCAR 17 the trigger is more important than a scope.
Old 03-05-2014, 3:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Personally, I believe that on the SCAR 17 the trigger is more important than a scope.

I just shot this offhand 100 yards with an optic and stock trigger. It could be done with irons and a good trigger but not nearly as easy.

Originally Posted by icallshotgun88:

I'm sorry, but if you don't think Glocks are reliable then we can't be friends...
Old 03-06-2014, 2:35 PM

What are the aftermarket trigger options for teh SCAR and is one better than the other?

What are you running for scopes and mounts?

Any other must haves?
Old 03-06-2014, 5:24 PM
Trigger Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneShoot View Post
What are the aftermarket trigger options for teh SCAR and is one better than the other?

What are you running for scopes and mounts?

Any other must haves?
Timney and Geissele have triggers available for the SCAR. I think most who have looked into it would agree the Geissele SUPER SCAR trigger is the way to go, and it uses the more robust FN SCAR hammer spring.

Scopes and mounts are a little tricky from my point of view. On one 17 I run a NF 2.5-10x which is an OK scope, but it is ROBUST. I started with a LaRue Mount, but couldn't get it to hold onto the scope so the reticle kept rotating. SO I went with an American Defense Delta mount. This mount was made for the rifle so that is what I recommend.

The other 17 got an Aimpoint T-1 with an Aimpoint magnifier in a LaRue mount. I'm not a big magnifier fan, but I had this one before I bought the rifle. Most of the time I leave it off the rifle. So I have a CQB SCAR 17 and a Mid-range 17.

I like the standard charging handle on the SCAR, but the grip sucks. There aren't that many good options for the SCAR unless you do modifications (don't modify the lower receiver BTW), but I use the Tango Down BG17 which fits my hand fine.

I like keeping my SCARs as close to stock as possible, whereas I build and modify my ARs.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 03-06-2014 at 6:20 PM..
Old 03-06-2014, 5:35 PM
Trigger Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
I just shot this offhand 100 yards with an optic and stock trigger. It could be done with irons and a good trigger but not nearly as easy.

The trigger really does make it easier even with irons. I could only shoot groups like yours (I bought a NF 2.5-10X) before I bought the "G" trigger. After installing the trigger I put 7 out of 10 in 1 moa, and 10 out of 10 in 2.75".

So, do I think that I could shoot as well as you did using irons and the "G" trigger?
Yes, or pretty darn close.

I've got this trigger on 2 SCAR 16s and 2 SCAR 17s because after I found out how good the trigger is I would buy the trigger at the same time I buy the rifle.

FN should really provide a better trigger.
Old 03-06-2014, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Timney and Geissele have triggers available for the SCAR. I think most who have looked into it would agree the Geissele SUPER SCAR trigger is the way to go, and it uses the more robust FN SCAR hammer spring.

Scopes and mounts are a little tricky from my point of view. On one 17 I run a NF 2.5-10x which is an OK scope, but it is ROBUST. I started with a LaRue Mount, but couldn't get it to hold onto the scope so the reticle kept rotating. SO I went with an American Defense Delta mount. This mount was made for the rifle so that is what I recommend.

I like the standard charging handle on the SCAR, but the grip sucks. There aren't that many good options for the SCAR unless you do modifications (don't modify the lower receiver BTW), but I use the Tango Down BG17 which fits my hand fine.

I like keeping my SCARs as close to stock as possible, whereas I build and modify my ARs.
Good info thanks.
On your scope, is it easy to 'pick up' quick like a 1-4x20 would be?
Also are you mostly bench rest or off hand shooting?
Old 03-06-2014, 6:58 PM
Veteran Member

Recommend Shooting Sight Triggers - two stage. Sold my "G" triggers for them.
Old 03-06-2014, 8:37 PM

I have not shot the 17 since the mod, been too busy getting back into 3-gun and IPSC. I will make it a point to get the 17 out for a review. Great post about cutting the spring