Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 03-02-2008, 6:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Question LaRue, Arms, GGG...help

Looking for a riser & Aimpoint mount for a KISS carbine, as well as something to stick a Leupold LR scope onto a bull-barreled SS armlite upper.

Read a ton about each product, know all are not on the cheap side. Also thinking of Badger rings.

Any user experience would be appreciated...what have you tried, what works, what doesn't work.

'I heard', 'I read...' might be helpful, but I've probably already heard it or read it...I've been reading for the last 2 months, now's the time to spend money.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

-hanko

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 03-02-2008, 7:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I've used ARMS & GGG for Aimpoint. I've used LaRues for other stuff.

I like the Larue locks best.

The ARMS is by far the most adaptable, so it puts it in front for me. I like the extra battery carrier of the GG&G, though. Also, you can't use the rubber Aimpoint coat with the GGG, as the location of the ring bolts are not square, so they don't fit.

Height options & cantilevered or not are possible to be changed with the ARMS mount. For me that's a huge ++, as I can switch it between my AR + magnifier and my SOCOM M1A.

They're all super-sturdy and well made, as they ought to be. LaRue comes with a free beer opener and hat. What else can I say?
Old 03-02-2008, 7:33 PM

don't forget about ADM. they are every bit as good as larue. even better in some ways...
Old 03-02-2008, 7:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Can you get a magnifier + BUIS behind it on a flat-top?

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$ View Post
don't forget about ADM. they are every bit as good as larue. even better in some ways...
Old 03-02-2008, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclaplinker View Post
Can you get a magnifier + BUIS behind it on a flat-top?
i don't know but i don't see why not.
Old 03-02-2008, 9:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I've used ARMS & GGG for Aimpoint. I've used LaRues for other stuff.

I like the Larue locks best.

The ARMS is by far the most adaptable, so it puts it in front for me. I like the extra battery carrier of the GG&G, though. Also, you can't use the rubber Aimpoint coat with the GGG, as the location of the ring bolts are not square, so they don't fit.

Height options & cantilevered or not are possible to be changed with the ARMS mount. For me that's a huge ++, as I can switch it between my AR + magnifier and my SOCOM M1A.

They're all super-sturdy and well made, as they ought to be. LaRue comes with a free beer opener and hat. What else can I say?
I'd say I should buy you both a beer

thanks

-hanko

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 03-02-2008, 11:16 PM

LaRue is the best, the ability of the LaRue mount to return to zero upon removal is second to none. LaRue will also stand behind their products 100% if you have any problems whatsoever. I know nothing about GG&G.

Stay the hell away from ARMS, their stuff is cheaply made and the throw levers have been known to come off with long term use. In addition the ability of ARMS mounts to return to zero after being removed is highly questionable. Finally, ARMS mounts have been known to shift zero while mounted. ARMs calls it a "soft mount" but that just sounds like an excuse for having a poor product.

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a...1/m/6881019663

Last edited by Pryde; 03-02-2008 at 11:18 PM..
Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

can you quote the text on that? Requires an account and I'm curious.

I have 4 ARMS mounts that return to zero just fine. One has been swapped hundreds of times. I'm not the sort to defend a company out of "loyalty," but that has not been my experience. I'd especially like to see where ARMS calls them, "soft mounts."

I have 3 LaRue mounts and adore them. I would agree nothing reeks quality like Larues. GG&G is close, though, in terms of quality feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryde View Post
LaRue is the best, the ability of the LaRue mount to return to zero upon removal is second to none. LaRue will also stand behind their products 100% if you have any problems whatsoever. I know nothing about GG&G.

Stay the hell away from ARMS, their stuff is cheaply made and the throw levers have been known to come off with long term use. In addition the ability of ARMS mounts to return to zero after being removed is highly questionable. Finally, ARMS mounts have been known to shift zero while mounted. ARMs calls it a "soft mount" but that just sounds like an excuse for having a poor product.

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a...1/m/6881019663
Old 03-03-2008, 8:36 AM

+1 for LaRue. I have the M68 Aimpoint mount. It's solid.
Old 03-03-2008, 8:41 AM
Calguns Addict

I agree with stop the A.R.M.S. bashing, they were making tactical mounts before Larue or GG&G and I've not had any problems with the several I own.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$ View Post
i don't know but i don't see why not.
I forgot to respond to this...

The reason I asked is because you really need a cantilevered mount to be able to fit the all 3 on a flat-top. It doesn't look like that mount would give enough clearance for them. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Here's why:
Quote:
You can really use about anything that holds it at the right height. High rings aren't going to be high enough on an AR -- they're a bit too low for proper eye height. You might be ok with it. You have it, so try it.

You can't fit a magnifier and Aimpoint on a flat top without a cantilevered mount because the cantilever gives more room on the flat top. The cantilevered mount pushes the length out the front over the handguard, so the magnifier/NV can fit behind. You can get an Aimpoint, magnifier and BUIS on a flat top with a cantilever, not gonna happen without.

You can see here in the comparison

Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
can you quote the text on that? Requires an account and I'm curious.
This is quoted from Pat Rogers on another forum Re: EOtech 553 and ARMS mounts:

The 553 is a better unit, but flawed from the factory with the arms mount.
We have seen enough that will slide on a MilSpec rail (read Colt, FN, LMT, BCM) to make me worry.
Of course, the factory in print stated that this was a "soft mount" and designed to slide this way in order to reduce damage yadyadayadada.

I believe the quote was in the manual for the mount.

Just because ARMS was the first doesn't mean that they are the best.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:57 AM

After a fair bit of experimentation, I decided to go with LaRue for my Aimpoint Comp ML3 and the GG&G for my EOTech 512. I have some other A.R.M.S. mounts for various things, and while they seem to be doing okay, I would have to put LaRue on top for overall quality and sturdiness. What I don't like about A.R.M.S. throw levers is that, unlike LaRue and GG&G, there's no way to adjust their tightness. I use the GG&G on the EOTech because it adds no height at all to the optic. If you want to fit an EOTech, a magnifier and a BUIS rear sight on top of an AR, though, you're going to need a continuous rail handguard if you have a AA battery-based EOTech because of the extra length of the battery compartment, as you will need to mount the EOTech part on the rail and part on the receiver to make it all fit.

Paratus et Vigilans

Prepared and On Guard
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take from you all you have." - Gerald R. Ford
Old 03-03-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I forgot to respond to this...

The reason I asked is because you really need a cantilevered mount to be able to fit the all 3 on a flat-top. It doesn't look like that mount would give enough clearance for them. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Ameri...p/ad%2068c.htm

they make one.

i have both adm and larue mounts. they both return to zero and are solid mounts.

i never have had an issue with my arms or gg&g stuff either.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If LaRue makes it, LaRue is the answer.
I had ARMS mounts before.
Most are sold off now though after using LaRue.

Anyone need an ARMS 22M68?
Couple years old, only on a rifle a couple dozen times.
I have half and full spacers with it.
Already replaced it with a LaRue cantilever mount so I can use a flip-up sight and flip-up magnifier.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC