Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 02-19-2014, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

Default Tell me about .270 wcf

My dad asked me to clean up a couple of my grandfathers rifles and one of them is a Winchester model 70 in .270 wcf. Researching the serial number places its production to 1948.

Can I get some info on this gun and cartridge from you guys/gals. Is the .270 wcf round still around and in production? Is it the same as .270 win?

Here's the rifle:

Old 02-19-2014, 9:23 AM
Veteran Member

WCF stands for Winchester center fire. The 270 is an extremely popular hunting caliber & the model 70 is an extremely popular classic hunting rifle. Looks like you have a nice one!
Old 02-19-2014, 1:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes they are the same cartridge.
Old 02-19-2014, 1:39 PM
Veteran Member

I had a Rem 700 that kicked like a mule..Flat shooter too

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 02-19-2014, 7:45 PM

You have a wonderful example of the "Rifleman's Rifle" widely considered the best bolt gun ever built. The 270 Win. cartridge is a flat shooting hard hitter. Jack O'Conner shot everything on this continent and all of Africa's plains game with a rifle just like it.

Last edited by Model94Guy; 02-19-2014 at 7:47 PM..
Old 02-19-2014, 8:22 PM
Veteran Member

Sweet.

Some Flitz will clean up the blueing nicely. I'd leave the stock alone, it looks to have a nice patina and no big scratches. Love the hand-wear on the bolt-knob.

Upgrade the stock if it's used for hunting, otherwise keep it period-correct.
Old 02-20-2014, 8:25 AM

The .270 Win. is an outstanding rifle cartridge... and is my bolt-gun round.

150 grain bullets will take anything in the lower 48, out to 400 yards, if you do your part.

I like these for an inexpensive all-purpose round du jour.

Prvi Partizan PPU .270 Winchester 150grn SP 20rd Box

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Old 02-20-2014, 9:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by killshot44 View Post
Sweet.

Some Flitz will clean up the blueing nicely. I'd leave the stock alone, it looks to have a nice patina and no big scratches. Love the hand-wear on the bolt-knob.

Upgrade the stock if it's used for hunting, otherwise keep it period-correct.
my God, don't "upgrade" squat. That is a wonderful rifle not only with pedigree, but history. Clean it up and shoot it! And think about grampa every time you take it out.
Old 02-20-2014, 9:23 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not going to mess with the gun at all! I took it home and gave the bore a good brushing, oiled up the bolt and wiped the gun down to clean it up but that's it. It's going to stay the way it is and my dad and I will enjoy it the way that it is! Maybe upgrade the scope but no aesthetic changes at all.

Thanks for all the info and kind words guys/gals. I can't wait to get out and shoot this gun.
Old 02-20-2014, 9:27 AM
Calguns Addict

I suggest pulling the action out and checking the bottom for rust. may as well clean up the inside as well as the outside.

Part of my suggestion was to leave the scope as is. I wouldn't "upgrade" that either.
Old 02-20-2014, 9:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
I suggest pulling the action out and checking the bottom for rust. may as well clean up the inside as well as the outside.

Part of my suggestion was to leave the scope as is. I wouldn't "upgrade" that either.
Definitely need to do that.

How come you wouldn't change the scope? I like the thought of not changing anything but I'd like a scope that's a little clearer and has a better field of vision. It's also a fixed power at 2 1/2.

Last edited by Cool Custard; 02-20-2014 at 9:42 AM..
Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Calguns Addict

because its a classic, and there's too much of a forum (and general gun) boner for more power and bigger objectives. I'm sure you have other rifles you can play that game on.

What a blessing, to have a low mounted fixie at reasonable power in a gun that you already intend to "set and forget", it'll be ready at all times to go shoot. Let's be honest, if you bought and paid money from your own pocket for a similar but new rifle, no family history, straight from the gunshop, and you needed a scope for it that again you are paying out of pocket, good money for, what are the odds you are gonna pick a fixed scope? low power scope? scope with an objective small enough to use "low" rings? My bet is you are hovering at or close to 0% chance. So it's truly a blessing to have something of this caliber ready to go, with a convenient excuse to shoot as is and appreciate as is.

If you can't appreciate that gun as it is after 500 rounds, it's a gun that (imo of course!) should just go back in the safe so YOUR kids can get a shot at learning to appreciate the pedigree and history. ("Son, this is your great-grandfather's rifle. immaculately cared for, it is just as he would have shot it at the end of his rifle-shooting days.") Afterall, your kids might even go the opposite way and end up irons shooters

Last edited by Whiterabbit; 02-20-2014 at 10:20 AM..
Old 02-20-2014, 3:32 PM
Veteran Member

When you put it like that, I don't think I'll mess with it at all. Thanks for some outside perspective!
Old 02-20-2014, 3:36 PM
Calguns Addict

beautiful rifle.
Old 02-20-2014, 3:46 PM
Banned

If you intend to use it do yourself a favor and put a new scope on it. Adding a new set of bases and rings along with new modern day scope will do NO harm, keep the old stuff and enjoy a wonderful rifle.
Old 02-20-2014, 3:50 PM

The .270 was derived from the .30-'03 (yes, '03!) cartridge and is a classic. Play with some loads and I'll bet it will drive tacks!

Walnut media for bright brass
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=621214
Old 02-20-2014, 4:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Very nice post-war pre-64 model 70. The only thing not authentic is that someone added a recoil pad a long time ago.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 02-20-2014, 4:55 PM

It's cool and all in the original form. If i were to hunt with it though, I would put a 3x9 leupold on it.
Old 02-20-2014, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Custard View Post
I'm not going to mess with the gun at all! I took it home and gave the bore a good brushing, oiled up the bolt and wiped the gun down to clean it up but that's it. It's going to stay the way it is and my dad and I will enjoy it the way that it is! Maybe upgrade the scope but no aesthetic changes at all.

Thanks for all the info and kind words guys/gals. I can't wait to get out and shoot this gun.
I just wish there are quality factory arms built today that I can leave for my grand kids in the future. Consider yourself lucky.

I don't see why changing out the scope if you intend to use it for hunting would hurt. If it increases your odds of getting game I think that was what grand pappy would have wanted.
Old 02-20-2014, 5:47 PM

Saying that the .270 and therefore the 30-06 were derived from the 30-03 is not a very accurate statement, it's akin to saying the Boss 429 is derived from the Model T. The 30-03 was a shorter cartridge that shot a 220 grain round nose bullet, this round was so inept, that it was canned in the prototype design of the Springfield 1903 rifle. The high pressure needed to push the 220 grain bullet prematurely wore out the rifling. The round was so inaccurate that it was immediately dropped in favor of a spitzer bullet at 150 grains. No 1903's were ever produced for this round. It did once surface in a round called the 30 Newton,only Newton produced a commercial rifle for this round. An that's my bunch of "so what" for tonight.
Old 02-20-2014, 7:16 PM

Get the blue book of gun values, 35th edition. Somebody here got one?

Probably worth 1-2 grand. 270 was a popular choice, so it's not rare for a pre 64 Mod. 70.

Worth hanging on to.
Dump that cheap scope, and get a good one if bore is good and it groups well. Don't refinish anything if you are saving it for investment later.
Old 02-20-2014, 7:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCCW View Post
Get the blue book of gun values, 35th edition. Somebody here got one?

Probably worth 1-2 grand. 270 was a popular choice, so it's not rare for a pre 64 Mod. 70.

Worth hanging on to.
Dump that cheap scope, and get a good one if bore is good and it groups well. Don't refinish anything if you are saving it for investment later.
Neighborhood of $1000, it's been padded, missing front sight hood and rear site looks weird, it may be just folded down? stock finish is in rough shape. All in all A real clean species.