Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-18-2014, 1:07 PM

Default Does it make you uncomfortable?

When I ask you about your carry guns? Occasionally LEOs come into the shop I work at (free coffee anyone?) and as one can imagine they are carrying. Being a gun guy (obsessed) I felt the unnatural compulsion to ask a solitary fellow about his piece. I couldn't see much of it through the holster and was curious.

He looked at me like I was completely psychotic. So, just wondering, does it make you nervous if one of us ununiformed fellows asks you about your piece? Why or why not? I have no intentions of putting anyone off, realistically I prefer to have officers around rather than not but sometimes I gotta ask about that shiny gun of yours
So I was driving home from the range and I noticed that the scent of warm steel, burnt gunpowder and lukewarm coffee combined and smelled oddly of... Peanut butter?! Man, the Hoppe's is going to my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR.44 View Post
Rose, you're sick dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmybacon43 View Post
I like to call us the "Nighttime association of Law abiding and moral fellows"
Or NALAMF for short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
What do you consider long range?
Take half of a binocular, tape it to your rifle.
Old 02-18-2014, 2:11 PM

Not every cop is a gun guy. If I came into your shop and asked you what kind of cash register you were using would you want to talk about it? For some guys it's just a tool or part of the uniform
Old 02-18-2014, 2:20 PM

i dont like when people ask, however I understand the curiosity. just seems like an unnecessary question. And yes, personally, it's just a tool I carry to work.

....coming from a "gun guy"
Old 02-18-2014, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Not every cop is a gun guy. If I came into your shop and asked you what kind of cash register you were using would you want to talk about it? For some guys it's just a tool or part of the uniform
Well said lol.

Personally, I dont mind. Then I ask what type is he carrying.
Old 02-18-2014, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't mind at all, but I'm a gun guy and pretty approachable anyway.

I liked to do presentations with kids and the most often asked question is, "Is that gun real?", followed by, "Have you shot anyone?"
Old 02-18-2014, 11:57 PM

I hate when you're sitting down at chow and a dips**t Dad comes up and says "Now Billy be good cause this man will arrest you". Then you wonder why kids are scared of the cops and you got to talk them down when you show up on a barking dog call or some accidental 911.

I'm a gun guy. I'll talk guns all day with the public.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have had better results asking LEOs in a more specific manner like, "Does your department allow you to carry something besides your Glock 23?". In contrast to, "Hey, what kind of gun do you carry?".

The former lets them know you're a firearms person and not just a random guy asking about their gun.

If you live in San Diego Please read this thread and apply now to obtain your San Diego License to Carry (CCW).

The information posted herein is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice contact an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.
Old 02-19-2014, 1:04 AM

I get asked all the time and I usually don't mind as long as the dude doesn't look like a hoodlum gang banger.

I get asked a lot, even by other Deputies/officers I work with. I guess I bring it upon myself for carrying a sig p226 tac ops with hogue g10 grey/black magwell grips. It definately stands out.
Old 02-19-2014, 5:08 AM

It never bothered me. I'm a gun guy and like talking guns with decent people.
Just checked back in to the thread and I am again thankful that BH is on ignore. What an awesome feature. What a douchebag (and no I didn't have to open his posts to read the multi-quotes to know exactly what is there).
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
Classic, you claim to have him on ignore, have no idea what his post say and yet YOU call HIM a douchebag. What a class act you are.
Old 02-19-2014, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax3 View Post
I have had better results asking LEOs in a more specific manner like, "Does your department allow you to carry something besides your Glock 23?". In contrast to, "Hey, what kind of gun do you carry?".

The former lets them know you're a firearms person and not just a random guy asking about their gun.
This
Old 02-19-2014, 10:27 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralston View Post
I hate when you're sitting down at chow and a dips**t Dad comes up and says "Now Billy be good cause this man will arrest you". Then you wonder why kids are scared of the cops and you got to talk them down when you show up on a barking dog call or some accidental 911.
That was one of my biggest pet peeves. I'd just blow it right back at them and tell little Billy that I won't arrest him for not being good because that his his parents job to make him behave, not the cops job. I'd also say if he isn't good I'll watch and allow his parent(s) to spank him in front of me and the whole place. Parents didn't seem to like that!!

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it
Old 02-19-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzernie View Post
That was one of my biggest pet peeves. I'd just blow it right back at them and tell little Billy that I won't arrest him for not being good because that his his parents job to make him behave, not the cops job. I'd also say if he isn't good I'll watch and allow his parent(s) to spank him in front of me and the whole place. Parents didn't seem to like that!!
I was in a store and a kid was acting up. His mother looked at us and told the kid to behave or we would take him to jail. I looked at the kid and said we're not police, see, no guns. We're the paramedics. The lady didn't miss a beat telling the kid we would give him a shot. I'd never heard that one before.

Last edited by lorax3; 02-19-2014 at 10:55 AM..
Old 02-19-2014, 12:51 PM

Doesn't bother me a bit. I routinely get asked about my HK-45 and my M-4. Usually leads to a long conversation which I enjoy having.

Yesterday a tourist fom New Zealand and I talked guns (they don't have many there) for about 20 minutes while his kids played on my motorcycle.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

+1

I have found most to be very willing to talk guns. Others just aren't firearm people to begin with and aren't interested in talking guns becuase they don't know the language
Old 02-20-2014, 3:39 PM

Uncomfortable? No. Do I always want to talk about guns at work or while performing some kind of task? No.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:50 AM

Thanks guys. It's something for me to think about-
Most of the time I'm around firearms I'm with fellow fanatics, so the "it's part of the uniform" bit just doesn't always click. I mean, it's not news but it's not something I think about when I see you on break.

And as for Lorax3 thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to broach the subject in a better manner in the future (assuming I find myself asking again in the future of course). I do try to be friendly but I have a problem with either being too ambiguous and standoffish or far too direct. I like people just fine it's just rare I communicate with them correctly
So I was driving home from the range and I noticed that the scent of warm steel, burnt gunpowder and lukewarm coffee combined and smelled oddly of... Peanut butter?! Man, the Hoppe's is going to my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR.44 View Post
Rose, you're sick dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmybacon43 View Post
I like to call us the "Nighttime association of Law abiding and moral fellows"
Or NALAMF for short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
What do you consider long range?
Take half of a binocular, tape it to your rifle.
Old 02-23-2014, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMarquez View Post
I was in a store and a kid was acting up. His mother looked at us and told the kid to behave or we would take him to jail. I looked at the kid and said we're not police, see, no guns. We're the paramedics. The lady didn't miss a beat telling the kid we would give him a shot. I'd never heard that one before.
My aunt used to threaten her kids with that. They are demons... Anyone remember the Bernie Mac skit about his sisters kids?

Being a gun guy sometimes I glance at what different officers carry but never thought to ask. I always figured it was best to MYOB.

Last edited by Just-in; 02-23-2014 at 6:32 AM..
Old 02-23-2014, 8:40 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I never minded because we issue Glocks and I carried a Sig so I had an obviously different look in the holster.

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it
Old 02-28-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:

This is pretty spot on. If some guy comes up and asks why don't you use a desert eagle, that's what i'd carry, I immediately want to distance myself from the mouth breather as soon as possible. If a guy comes up and says "who did your grip reduction, Robar or Cold bore?" I pretty much assume he's a normal human with a good working knowledge of guns.
Old 03-01-2014, 9:26 AM

I am curious sometimes, but I always imagined that a LEO might be (justifiably) concerned if someone showed a lot of interest in his weapon. My cousin is a San Diego Deputy, so I try to channel my LE and gun questions to him.
Old 03-13-2014, 3:03 PM

I was surprised entering LE how few cops were "gun guys" unfortunately the majority of cops you ask probably don't even know a whole lot about their own weapon. I never mind when someone asks questions of what we have and what we do with it, I always think back to when I was a kid seeing a cop and all the cool stuff and its nice to be in that position now to give something back so I'm generally cool with all questions as long as it doesn't involve personal life and the questions aren't while Im tied up on a call or eating (I really don't like that one) Other than that ask away.
Old 03-13-2014, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_in_ca View Post
I was surprised entering LE how few cops were "gun guys" unfortunately the majority of cops you ask probably don't even know a whole lot about their own weapon. I never mind when someone asks questions of what we have and what we do with it, I always think back to when I was a kid seeing a cop and all the cool stuff and its nice to be in that position now to give something back so I'm generally cool with all questions as long as it doesn't involve personal life and the questions aren't while Im tied up on a call or eating (I really don't like that one) Other than that ask away.
Diddo. Im more than happy to explain the job, answer a random theoretical legal question, show someone my gear or answer a gun question. Just dont come up to me while im obviously on a call with my pen and paper out engaged in my work and ask me to sign your ticket, give you directions somewhere or any other random question.
Old 03-20-2014, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralston View Post

I'm a gun guy. I'll talk guns all day with the public.
OMG.

I used the opposite with my oldest son. Since he was very young, he has always wanted to be a policeman. We were in a local eatery and he was misbehaving (in the extreme I might add) and I motioned to some Sheriff's Deputies eating at a table and told him, "If you don't behave, they won't let you be a policeman. They don't take citizens like that on the Force." And I had not had problem one with him in public since.

And next year he will finally be old enough to participate in our local city's Police Youth Academy.

My views may be old and antiquated, but Law Enforcement is something that should be held to a higher regard and respected as such.

I'm a Scot. We wear kilts and like curvy gingers that make a right meat-pie.

Old 03-20-2014, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_in_ca View Post
I was surprised entering LE how few cops were "gun guys" unfortunately the majority of cops you ask probably don't even know a whole lot about their own weapon.
This. When I brought in my Kimber Warrior to qualify to carry it off duty (be covered by policy) my Sgt looked at it and said, "That's not some Saturday Night Special right?"

I respectfully told him no and he said, "I don't get the big deal about owning different guns. We have our two issued firearms, what else do you need."

I get not being a "gun guy" but I have an issue with LE that look at range day as a pain in the *** and LE that don't carry a back up.
Old 03-21-2014, 6:23 AM

It never bothered me. It sure beats "I didn't do it".
Old 03-21-2014, 7:00 AM
Veteran Member

^^^ That's the worst one. Everyone thinks they are a comedian...
Old 03-21-2014, 9:58 AM

Or points to their friend "he did it!"

Oh boy you're so funny, I've never heard that one before.
Old 03-22-2014, 7:31 AM

I have never had an issue with it. I don't mind talking about guns.. As long as you don't try to touch it.
Old 03-29-2014, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik18 View Post
I get asked all the time and I usually don't mind as long as the dude doesn't look like a hoodlum gang banger.

I get asked a lot, even by other Deputies/officers I work with. I guess I bring it upon myself for carrying a sig p226 tac ops with hogue g10 grey/black magwell grips. It definately stands out.
Getting upset about being asked about carrying a gun is like the girl who gets the DD implants and then *****es at you for looking at her chest.
Old 03-29-2014, 1:25 PM
Firearms Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Doesn't bother me. Like most cops on here, I'll talk guns all day. If it's another shooter, great. If not, it's a great chance to educate someone.
Old 03-29-2014, 2:51 PM

I'd have no problems talking with a fellow gun guy, but not every cop is into guns.

If you were to come up and start asking about whats under the hood of my radio car, then the conversation is going to be very short since I'm not a car guy.