Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 02-17-2014, 6:55 PM

Default Savage question

I found a new savage 111/Xp on sale. It must be an older model because it doesn't have the accutrigger but it has the regular savage action. Does anyone know anything about this model? How hard is it to improve the trigger? It's a 7mag for 359.
Old 02-17-2014, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

My buddy just bought a110 for around the same price. The shop he bought it at adjusted the trigger for him and he says it's great. I don't imagine it being that difficult.
Old 02-17-2014, 8:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Many of the older Savages have adjustable triggers. If that one isn't, Sharp Shooter Supply has 2 oz. - 2 Lbs. and 12 oz. to 3 Lbs. replacement triggers available.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 02-18-2014, 4:51 AM

Yeah it would have to be a trigger i could fix myself. A new trigger puts the cost too close to an accutrigger rifle.
Old 02-18-2014, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantcme View Post
Yeah it would have to be a trigger i could fix myself. A new trigger puts the cost too close to an accutrigger rifle.
And why does this matter??

As much as I like my accu-trigger equipped rifles, the one custom Savage I have with a rifle basix trigger set at 16 oz is certainly better..
Old 02-22-2014, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Double check that the trigger is not an Accutrigger with the locking tab removed (center of trigger will have lengthwise slot). If it is, it is still easily adjustable for pull.

Most of the "package" rifles from Savage came without the Accu, the additional cost being the scope provided (which are now Nikon's, BTW). Now the Accu is added to the package. Your XP Hunter model may be one of these first models without the Accu.

If it has the original trigger, with the external single bar spring, these can be adjusted CAREFULLY. The spring sits atop a set screw, that can be rotated in or out to lighten or add weight to the trigger pull. We learned to carefully file a slot, perpendicular to the existing one in the set screw. This allows 1/4 turns, rather than 1/2 turns to better tune the trigger pull.

As you lighten the weight, you have to adjust the safety contact at the same time. The small Allen screws at the rear of the trigger arm are your safety and trigger play adjustments. The trigger movement cannot be so short, as to not allow the safety to engage, and visa-versa.

I use a soft faced hammer to check for safe trigger lock up as I adjust. Lighten weight, adjust travel, adjust safety...remove safety then whack the bolt handle closed to see if the sear releases from the hit. When I get the weight, travel, and safety (on and off) to all work under a healthy beating with no firing pin release, I lock the screws in with a dab of nail polish (or anti-pilfer, whatever you got).

OR!!! Simply replace the trigger with a Sharp Shooter Supply, Rifle Basix, Timney, or any another

If your rifle was one that did NOT come with the Accutrigger from the factory, you CANNOT add an Accutrigger to it. The machining is different on the receiver, and Savage won't add it either.
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero
Old 02-22-2014, 2:34 PM
Veteran Member

The Sharp Shooter Supply trigger is a pretty easy upgrade to install. I think the Accutrigger is one of the better mass produced triggers, but I prefer the SSS trigger.