Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 02-09-2014, 8:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Looking for updated recs on PC components

Looking to assemble a new PC.. after a long time. Found the current offerings bewildering, if excessively colorful.

Been dealing with corporate prebuilds for about 8 years now so I have been out of the component build loop enough to be totally lost when examining the current offerings.

It is a given that it will be an Intel i7 and that it will have 16GB minimum memory. SSD is also a given since I already use them.

What I am looking for is good info on reliable and good feature mobos, memory, cases, powersupplies.. brands and model.

When it comes to a case I prefer robust to flashy. I have always been happy with my older HP Workstation cases. Heavy, solid construction, tool-less chassis, mainboard on a removable tray, even the plastic parts (few) are thick and heavy. So I would prefer a toolless, positive retention chasis, that is solid, even heavy, with minimal plastic.

Memory, faster is better, and quality brands matter. No I won't be OverClocking. I really don't see the point these days.

So tell me CalGuns, what shall I replace my HP xw4400 Core2Quad Extreme Workstation with?
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 02-10-2014, 5:07 PM

Mobo - I'm a loyal ASUS customer. They may cost a little more, but I haven't had any issues with motherboard instability.

Memory - Corsair and Crucial. I'm running memory with faster timings than the stuff you usually see on sale at Frys. 8-8-8-24C8 if I recall correctly.

Cases - kind of subjective here... I used a Cooler Master HAF, but that sucker is loud when you load up on fans. I'm using an Antec P280 case now and it's super quiet.

Power Supplies - I'm using Seasonic 750+W Gold and Platinum rated power supplies in my desktops and no problems whatsoever.
Old 02-10-2014, 7:49 PM
Calguns Addict

In the past I have used several coolermaster cases but at last glance they were not the solid high end cases they used to be. Is that still the situation? My first coolermaster was in the 400 buck range, was all aluminum and toolless. Damn fine case but that was damn, a long time ago.

Almost everything I see is a plastic "neon" view panel design. Hate them with a passion.

The Seasonics have a good layout for their power.. aka more than one leg for certain more demanding needs?

I recall both Crucial and Corsair, seems like they are still the go-to for speedy memory.

I've used ASUS in the past with solid results. Any of the current models get your attention?
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 02-11-2014, 8:35 AM
Professional Beer Drinker
CGN Contributor

Maybe I missed it in your post but what I'd this computer going to be used for and what is your budget? That will play a major role in suggestions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.

Sig P226 Tacops and P227 Tacops for sale
Old 02-11-2014, 1:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterrell View Post
Maybe I missed it in your post but what I'd this computer going to be used for and what is your budget? That will play a major role in suggestions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
On the outside, 2k.

It will be used for mostly artwork and video rendering (h264 and 4k). Just need more lifting power for digital sculpting above 10 million polygons (most game models start out in this range for modern high end games these ultra-poly sculpted models are used to generate the normal maps that are then applied to the low poly in game model).

Also will be used to render using CUDA technology as well as realtime GLSL during the actual sculpting in the view windows (a lot more intensive that most people think.. try running a game with 15 million polygons on screen in real time that are being lattice transformed).

I might be attempting some voxel technologies in the future and would need both the CPU power for calculations and the GFX power to run them in a GLSL display.

As for games, I only play last generation games but my Minecraft (a voxel game btw) runs at 6 gigs of memory and maxes all four cpu cores and pushes my gfx card thanks to the GLSL implementation.

Oddly enough all of my pro programs require Gaming Cards because of the CUDA usage. I guess the days of old school OGL industrial cards are long over.

16 gigs is a minimum memory pattern. 32gigs would probably be better.

I have been using Workstation class computers for a long time but I don't like and cannot afford the current string. I have been managing my upgrades through second hand workstation class computers.. after all who has 8-30K for the high end boxes. My previous one was a dual xeon Hp workstation with 12 gigs, sas drives in raid and quad gfx cards. That one died and I downgraded to my current xw4400 box.

Last edited by meaty-btz; 02-11-2014 at 1:11 PM..
Old 02-16-2014, 1:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I also am a huge fan of Asus motherboards. I like Corsair memory, cases, and PSU's (get something at least 80+gold certified and fully modular). For graphics cards I dont think you can do better than EVGA for high performing Nvidia cards.

Does your budget include a monitor and peripherals or just the computer itself? I recently did a similar build with a 4930k and gtx770 but including everything it was well above your budget although my monitor is a $500 wide gamut display that is color corrected.

I would be happy to send you a recommended build if you answer those few questions, you will likely have to make some minor sacrifices here and there but overall I think your budget will get you a computer that will perform for what you are trying to do. Mine is a powerhouse although it has been hard to use anything else since I have finished it.
Old 02-16-2014, 3:29 PM

OP, Just give me your budget and I'll post a few builds for you. I'm up to date on everything that's available now just list price and intended use.

PLEASE POST BUDGET!!!!

Exodus 31:15 , Deuteronomy 17:2-7 , Deuteronomy 13:13-19 , Leviticus 24:16 , Leviticus 20:9, Leviticus 20:10 , Leviticus 20:13 , Deuteronomy 21:18-21 , Matthew 18: 7-9 , 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 , 1 Timothy 2:11-12 , Leviticus 25:44, Exodus 21:20 , Titus 2:9 , Isaiah 13:15/16/18 , Hosea 13:16 , Numbers 31:17-18
Old 02-16-2014, 4:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderADyingSun View Post
OP, Just give me your budget and I'll post a few builds for you. I'm up to date on everything that's available now just list price and intended use.

PLEASE POST BUDGET!!!!
Outside of 2K, would like to stay under but power-costs, even today. My source for cheap workstations dried up (ever since the economy turned sour they stopped their upgrade cycle), I enjoyed paying almost nothing for a 5-10K computer with a 900+ buck CPU in it.
Old 02-16-2014, 8:43 PM

Meaty,

Are you interested in gaming and adding, do you need peripherals. If you do plan on high end gaming it might benefit you to get a nice mechanical keyboard ( cherry mx blue switches are tactile as hell! ), mouse, and monitor.

Are you doing any 3d processing or just video editing, photoshop etc... things of this nature? Also, do you have color preferences. I should note, AMD offers high end graphics now. The r9 290 and (x) variants compete directly with nvidias GTX 780, 780ti, and Titan. Non reference versions are out now so don't be surprised if my recommended build includes AMD GPU's. High end cards dominate at 1440p and above now and have plenty of dedicated memory. But yea, just a few more q's I want to give you solid suggestions.

Exodus 31:15 , Deuteronomy 17:2-7 , Deuteronomy 13:13-19 , Leviticus 24:16 , Leviticus 20:9, Leviticus 20:10 , Leviticus 20:13 , Deuteronomy 21:18-21 , Matthew 18: 7-9 , 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 , 1 Timothy 2:11-12 , Leviticus 25:44, Exodus 21:20 , Titus 2:9 , Isaiah 13:15/16/18 , Hosea 13:16 , Numbers 31:17-18
Old 02-16-2014, 10:11 PM
Calguns Addict

wonder what kind of build specs you are recommend me with a 1K budget and focus on gaming. i only need the tower, with ssd + 2tb drive, and no liquid cool but enough cooling to keep the system cool in a 90 degree F ambient room when needed (it gets damn hot in my room in summer time) but still be silent enough that i don't need earplugs. and being able to run bf4 @ 60FPS on high or ultra.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want no matter the topic at hand!
Old 02-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Tons of 3d. Read my earlier post. Also I can only use NVIDIA as CUDA technology is exclusively an NVIDIA thing. I am digital sculpting 5-15 million quad or more objects in 3d using a real time accelerated 3d display through GLSL. Animation rendering is done using CUDA. Video processing and editing is done in h264 and 4K.

CUDA basically means hardware rendering on the GPU AND CPU in tandem rather than just CPU rendering using conventional render engines. The CUDA technology utilizes the gaming class of graphics cards, not the pro-cards which are another animal. So I will be using as big and as powerful a card as I can afford, unfortunately CUDA is Nvidia so that means only NVIDIA cards. AMD has their own technology but it is primitive and generally not or poorly supported vs the CUDA.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home_new.html

Voxels are the other thing I will be moving more into, namely voxel gaming engines which are potent and require a lot of CPU and graphics power.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voxel

I have the monitors and peripherals. Nothing "new" matches my aging peripheral equipment (all usb though) that in some cases is about 10+ years old. I dread the day my keyboard or mouse die. Nothing today can match them in weight and feel.

The only gaming I do is with your usual run of the mill last-gen stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderADyingSun View Post
Meaty,

Are you interested in gaming and adding, do you need peripherals. If you do plan on high end gaming it might benefit you to get a nice mechanical keyboard ( cherry mx blue switches are tactile as hell! ), mouse, and monitor.

Are you doing any 3d processing or just video editing, photoshop etc... things of this nature? Also, do you have color preferences. I should note, AMD offers high end graphics now. The r9 290 and (x) variants compete directly with nvidias GTX 780, 780ti, and Titan. Non reference versions are out now so don't be surprised if my recommended build includes AMD GPU's. High end cards dominate at 1440p and above now and have plenty of dedicated memory. But yea, just a few more q's I want to give you solid suggestions.

Last edited by meaty-btz; 02-17-2014 at 12:46 PM..
Old 02-17-2014, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
wonder what kind of build specs you are recommend me with a 1K budget and focus on gaming. i only need the tower, with ssd + 2tb drive, and no liquid cool but enough cooling to keep the system cool in a 90 degree F ambient room when needed (it gets damn hot in my room in summer time) but still be silent enough that i don't need earplugs. and being able to run bf4 @ 60FPS on high or ultra.
Rough estimates

CASE- Corsair Carbide 400r or Fractal Design R4 ( these are insanely popular, with good reason! ) 100$ +/- ( can go cheaper, zalman has some nice stuff )
CPU- FX 8320 150$
Cooling- Hyper 212 Evo, can't be beat for price PERIOD! Add another fan for push/pull, shouldn't need to though 40$
Mobo- Gigabyte 990fxa-Ud3 120$ can also get a 970a-ud3 for less and still boost clock to 4.0 and above
RAM- WHATEVER COMES CHEAP! 8gb either 1x8 or 2x4 and @ 1600mhz, no need to go higher
GPU- GTX 770 2gb version ( unfortunately AMD's prices are all kinds of ****ered because of crypto farmers, so so lame ) 320$, 760/660/7870/r9 270(x) are also worthy of consideration and cheaper.
Memory- Kingston V300 120gb SSD is around 70 dollars on new egg, great buy, 2tb Seagate Barracuda @ 7200rpm ( nice, fast, and under 90 )
PSU- 500w will do, consider thermal take. Probably around 50$

I know it's a little overbudget, and sorry for the sloppy format I'm on my phone, but I did leave room for you to change a few things around and I assume you have an OS. If not, GET 8.1 the performance boost in battlefield is significant! I'll Also add, I do have another PC build, with an r9 290 and SSD, that I would sell for 1000 ( you'd be saving considerably ). Would be a great deal, PM me if you're interested. Would also take firearms in partial trade :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty-btz View Post
Tons of 3d. Read my earlier post. Also I can only use NVIDIA as CUDA technology is exclusively an NVIDIA thing. I am digital sculpting 5-15 million quad or more objects in 3d using a real time accelerated 3d display through GLSL. Animation rendering is done using CUDA. Video processing and editing is done in h264 and 4K.

CUDA basically means hardware rendering on the GPU AND CPU in tandem rather than just CPU rendering using conventional render engines. The CUDA technology utilizes the gaming class of graphics cards, not the pro-cards which are another animal. So I will be using as big and as powerful a card as I can afford, unfortunately CUDA is Nvidia so that means only NVIDIA cards. AMD has their own technology but it is primitive and generally not or poorly supported vs the CUDA.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home_new.html

Voxels are the other thing I will be moving more into, namely voxel gaming engines which are potent and require a lot of CPU and graphics power.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voxel

I have the monitors and peripherals. Nothing "new" matches my aging peripheral equipment (all usb though) that in some cases is about 10+ years old. I dread the day my keyboard or mouse die. Nothing today can match them in weight and feel.

The only gaming I do is with your usual run of the mill last-gen stuff.
You really sound like you already know what you need.

I'm just going to give my general input, and that's cool work you do! I know CUDA is a must.

Ditch the extreme intel CPU's ( that premium is NOT worth it ), 4770k, Max out your ram ( 4x8gb ), get quality w/ heatshield, as for motherboard well I don't know exactly what you need. Since it's workstation IDK how many gpu's you want to throw together. At your pricepoint you should SLI 2 x GTX 780's ( best bang for your buck, and titans are just wayyyy to pricey ), I wouldn't bother waiting for Maxwell. Performance boost will likely be in the staggered margin anyway. Motherboard is at your discretion. Obviously get a good rated PSU, 1000w+ can never go wrong with Corsair or Seasonic. Check out the fulltower Corsair case offerings too, my god indeed

I think you should jump over to the linus tech forums and post your question. You'll get some solid feedback, but sift through the quick answers and cheap PC part picker build lists. I'd narrow what you want, and determine best price/performance from there. Sadly, now is a really crappy time to build, prices for everything are HIGH!

Old 02-17-2014, 6:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I agree with the above but I think you will probably want more CPU, go 4930k over the 4770k assuming you can take advantage of the extra cores with the software you are running. Currently my 4930k is the limiting factor on CPU rendering so it looks like I need to OC.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR510 View Post
I agree with the above but I think you will probably want more CPU, go 4930k over the 4770k assuming you can take advantage of the extra cores with the software you are running. Currently my 4930k is the limiting factor on CPU rendering so it looks like I need to OC.
My software can take advantage of as many cores as I throw it it. Ran it once on an AMD setup that would boggle the mind (about 24 Operteron cores). Wasn't mine but.. That was only a few of the cores of a Cray super-lab which had about 200 AMD Opterons slaved together.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I did a similar build then, only limitation was my wallet haha.

Noctua CPU Cooler
asus sabertooth x79
EVGA gtx 770 4gb Sc (look 780 or dual 780s if you want to do GPU rendering)
256gb SSD for the OS and most used programs
Corsair AX760 PSU (they have a calculator on their site so you can see what wattage you actually need vs. just getting a PSU way more than anything you will ever pull from it...Even the 760 is overkill in my build)

Mine was in the neighborhood of $2,200 for the tower.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR510 View Post
I did a similar build then, only limitation was my wallet haha.

Noctua CPU Cooler
asus sabertooth x79
EVGA gtx 770 4gb Sc (look 780 or dual 780s if you want to do GPU rendering)
256gb SSD for the OS and most used programs
Corsair AX760 PSU (they have a calculator on their site so you can see what wattage you actually need vs. just getting a PSU way more than anything you will ever pull from it...Even the 760 is overkill in my build)

Mine was in the neighborhood of $2,200 for the tower.
That's not half bad considering the overall features. I went and looked up your parts and you are right.. GPU Rendering is going to be SLI and the 780s.