Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-01-2008, 6:28 PM
Veteran Member

Default The In-depth GSG-5 review-All you need to know before buying.

Let me start this off by saying HOLY CRAP this is one amazing rifle! I have ARs in every caliber, a few AKs, and several other military style rifles, shotguns, and handguns but this gun has a fun factor that none of the others can match! For a young college student, stretching a buck is everything and rimfire does that wonderfully! This is easily one of my favorite rifles ever!

Onto the gun......

The GSG-5 is a dedicated rimefire .22LR rifle. The rifle is built to reflect nearly every detail of the MP5 Navy model. It has HK-style, adjustable drum sites with different sized peep holes. The fake can is removable and reveals a long slender barrel that is held in place by a trunnion that reminds me of AKs. To save on design time and $, the rifle was engineered to use airsoft accessories--accesories that are much cheaper and quite nearly as rugged (depending on the make) as their real counterparts.

Issues upon opening the box: My FFL was really excited about the rifle, perhaps even more than I was. After he placed the serial in my name we opened the box and attempted to place the stock on the rifle. The stock sheared in half immediately! GSG must have gotten a discount on Elmer's glue to seal these things together. The high end airsoft stocks are more durable and rugged than this guy. Perhaps GSG felt rimfire does not need a rugged stock??? The stock issue can easily be remedied by using an expoxy meant for plastics. If you really want to do something fancy to the original stock then fill it with expanding foam or this stuff called "goop" to make it more rugged, hefty, and tuff. This was the only issue I had with the rifle, the rifle is 100% perfect from here. My advice is to ditch the stock or tear it apart to re-glue and add foam. It will be trouble sooner or later if you don't.

Accuracy: The rifle is VERY accurate. I bought several Federal high-volocity value packs--not exactly match grade ammo. I was able to get 1.5 inch groups at 25 yards using a Trijicon Reflex II. I'm sure higher quality ammo and a dot site/scope with a finer reticle could be even more accurate. I would say the rifle is a 4.3 MOA rifle at 25-50 yards with any brand of ammo.

Ammo selection: It is very important to use high velocity .22 ammo in this rifle in order for it to cycle. I bought a pack of CCI, federal, winchester, and remington high velocity ammo. All of them worked 100% with no FTEs or FTFs. I have not tried less powerful stuff. However, from reports on ARFcom, the gun will work fine with slower velocity ammo if you lube the hell out of the gun. I have not lubed, or even broken down my rifle yet and it functions like new after having 5k rounds of federal high velocity ammo through it. I'm going to clean it for the first time today. As a general side note: Be sure to use copper jacketed .22 ammo in your GSG to maintain accruacy between cleanings.

Reliability: There should be no reason this thing is not flawless out of the box, nuff said. It feeds perfect, extracts perfect, and recoils nicely for a .22! Like I mentioned above, I have not cleaned by rifle at all since buying it. I put 5K rounds through it this weekend with NO loose screws, FTFs, or FTEs. There is a crap load of carbon residue inside my rifle right now! Some of it spews out when firing. The carbon does not hinder things one bit. It just shoots whatever you feed it no matter how much carbon is there! I kinda got used to using the mag as a forward grip. The manual and online reviews claim that this will cause jams until your hand is removed. This never happened at all to me, it just fired whenever I wanted it to. Maybe I just have a soft touch.

Operation/handling: Handles like any MP5/HK-94 should--it even has a long trigger pull like they do! The "HK" slap can be used to operate the gun but it will leave a slight dent in the slot where the cocking handle hooks into. The rifle has a MAGAZINE DISCONNECT, which is a real pisser. Its annoying as hell to place an empty magazine in the gun just to decock the thing but its nothing overly overwhelming. As a side note: DO NOT loose the red chamber tab the rifle ships with. Dry fring the weapon may harm the firing pin. This red tab is mean to be used for dry fires!

Magazines: Buy as many as you can! You'll regret not doing so. Use Lock-Tite on the follower plate screws! They might come loose if you don't! My rifle came with lock-tite treated screws but your rifle may not have them if it is from the first batch of rifles. The mags are time-consuming to load but fun to unload! The last round fired will activate a bolt catch device. Unfortunately, these don't have a bolt catch button like ARs or MP5/.40s do. You have to manually re-cock to close the bolt--kinda defeating the purpose of having a bolt catch in the first place. Airsoft or real steel mag clamps can be used on them if you want to do so. I have a shipment of MP5 magpuls coming for my mags.

Stock options: If you decide to ditch your old stock that this is what you shuld be reading! There are several stock options available from the higher end airsoft companies (Tokyo Marui, Classic Army, ICS). Classic Army stocks are the ONLY ones that are of 100% steel construction and fit without any mods needed. There are 4 types of airsoft stocks available to purchase: a collapsing stock, a solid stock, a PDW style side-folder, and a B&T style side folder. ALL SIDEFOLDER STOCKS ARE 100% ILLEGAL!!!! They do not meet minimum folded length requirements for rimfire rifles in california! The only way to make these stocks legal is to make a larger fake can for the rifle. The collapsing stock is perfectly legal and will allow the rifle to function 100% even when fully collapsed. (The collapsing stock partially blocks the ejection port but does not affect the ability to extract in any way. I shot mine a lot in this manner!) Lastly, the solid stock is clearly legal, why you'd still want one to replace you old solid stock is beyond me though. lol. Go with a Classic Army collapser, they are your best bet! GSG will release stocks later but they will be no different than the CA ones, since these stocks will come from the GSG airsoft line-up.

Rail options: ALL high end model airsoft rails will fit the GSG but WILL REQUIRE SIGNIFICANT METAL WORK!!!! A slot must be cut into the rail system to allow the GSG trunnion to fit inside the rails. (Airsofts do not have this trunnion). Once the slot is cut you are 100% good to go!

Optic Mounts: ANY real-steel or airsoft optic mount will work on the GSG.

Lighted forends: Airsoft lighted forends will replace the standard HG with no mods. REAL STEEL VERSIONS WILL NOT WORK!!!!

Fun Factor: Best .22 money can buy. Best investment you can make! I can't wait till they make a G36!!!!

MODS FOR REAL HK FANS: You can replace the tabs on the GSG-5 with real steel push pins if you know the right sized to get. See ARFcom for details.

Last edited by Solidsnake87; 03-01-2008 at 7:06 PM..
Old 03-01-2008, 6:34 PM

Awesome and helpful write up. +1 to you!
Old 03-01-2008, 7:53 PM
short bus driver

Who has extra magazines for sale?

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 03-01-2008, 7:55 PM
Veteran Member

How in the world did you shoot 5,000 rounds so fast?
Old 03-01-2008, 8:12 PM

Not having a last round bolt hold open, is a common complaint among "real" HK shooters. But , as this shows;
Quote:
The last round fired will activate a bolt catch device. Unfortunately, these don't have a bolt catch button like ARs or MP5/.40s do. You have to manually re-cock to close the bolt--kinda defeating the purpose of having a bolt catch in the first place.
the design doesn't really work well with a BHO.
Old 03-01-2008, 8:47 PM

Mine shoots great, out of 1000rds I have gotten about 50 light strike misfires. A few feeding failures where it bends the round. And a couple of stove pipe ejections.

The rear stock sucks, but other than that, I like the litte guy.
Old 03-01-2008, 8:52 PM
Veteran Member

Where can we buy one?
Old 03-01-2008, 8:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem1492 View Post
Mine shoots great, out of 1000rds I have gotten about 50 light strike misfires. A few feeding failures where it bends the round. And a couple of stove pipe ejections.

The rear stock sucks, but other than that, I like the litte guy.
If my Glock did not fire 5% of the time, I'd be pissed. Not to mention the stovepipes or FTFs.

Old 03-01-2008, 9:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
How in the world did you shoot 5,000 rounds so fast?
I have a private range
Old 03-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Calguns Addict

What do you think of the chances of cosmetically duplicating an MP5-SD?

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Old 03-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

GSG is designing an MP5SD. They show a teaser CG shot in their demo gun trailer thingy.
Old 03-02-2008, 3:10 PM
Veteran Member

I just finished my first cleaning. The cleaning was peformed after 5K rounds. I was pleasantly surprised to see that carbone fouling only really covered the breach area, bolt face, and the area of the chamber exposed during firing. The rest of the rifle was 100% clean. There was hardly any carbon on the firing group assembly at all. Even though the carbon was localized it is a very time consuming process to clean the GSG-5. The bolt/carrier assembly has all kinds of knooks and crannies that you need to get into to clean. As long as you have a tooth brush and some q-tips cleaning will be doable. The spring tension on the bolt is surprisingly strong. Anybody breaking the rifle down to clean will notice this when they clean the bolt face. The GSG is designed with a really cool looking dual spring/buffer assembly. I can only describe it as something like two AK recoil springs attached side-by-side to the same bolt. Its an impressive design.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:59 AM

does the 10 rnd magazine the same length as the 22 rndr ?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:16 PM

The grip/receiver portion of the unit I handled at the gun show felt pretty cheap and low quality plastic. I don't mind a plastic gun but it felt pretty hollow and not very solid and the rifle also felt very loose.

Also, from what very experienced shooters are saying, it's not as accurate as a Ruger 10/22 which really isn't that accurate of a 22LR to begin with unlike a Remmy 597 ($150) or the CZ 22 rifle.

I'm not sure why people are buying this over a 22LR AR upper for about the same price, especially when you need to spend money for an upgraded airsoft stock. I guess if you must have a MP5 shaped rifle in 22LR, it may make sense. I personally think a CA-94 in 9mm is a much better gun although at more than double the price, at least everything is metal. A 22AR is going to be much more accurate and for not much more money although a month long wait time.

Last edited by FlyingPen; 03-03-2008 at 12:20 PM..
Old 03-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPen View Post
The grip/receiver portion of the unit I handled at the gun show felt pretty cheap and low quality plastic. I don't mind a plastic gun but it felt pretty hollow and not very solid and the rifle also felt very loose.

Also, from what very experienced shooters are saying, it's not as accurate as a Ruger 10/22 which really isn't that accurate of a 22LR to begin with unlike a Remmy 597 ($150) or the CZ 22 rifle.

I'm not sure why people are buying this over a 22LR AR upper for about the same price, especially when you need to spend money for an upgraded airsoft stock. I guess if you must have a MP5 shaped rifle in 22LR, it may make sense. I personally think a CA-94 in 9mm is a much better gun although at more than double the price, at least everything is metal. A 22AR is going to be much more accurate and for not much more money although a month long wait time.
Actually a Spike's upper plus BUIS plus lower plus LPK, plus stock can easily double the price of the GSG-5.

Additionally, the GSG-5 looks like an MP5, which is very cool, considering how many people here in CA would love a real MP5 but cannot have one.

I have a Spike's .22 upper, but that doesn't stop me from wanting a GSG-5.
Old 03-03-2008, 1:19 PM

Who has them in stock, where did you guys buy your gsg from?
Old 03-03-2008, 1:46 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokestudent12 View Post
Who has them in stock, where did you guys buy your gsg from?
First shipment of around 1500 were released by US Customs around early/mid-Feb. They all sold out.

Next shipment of GSG5s suppose to be available around mid/late-March.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 03-03-2008, 1:53 PM
Banned

Imagine the Blond Unissued CETME wood furniture on the little German and how much less Fragile and Airsoft it would feel !
Old 03-03-2008, 2:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Try shooting the gun before posting this kind of stuff. You'll change your mind once you've shot the gun. Don't base your opinion of a firearm on a bunch of "he said" heresay-trust the detailed first hand accounts. While I agree that some parts may not seem to be made out of the best materials, keep in mind that this is supposed to be a fun plinker--as opposed to a highly durable military firearm. For a .22 designed to be shot with plinker HV ammo, I would not call 1 inch groups at 25 yards inaccurate--especially when I was only using a site accurate to 4.3 MOA. The fun factor for this rifle is much higher than any 10/22. Also, the cost of a complete spikes .22 AR build would nearly double the base cost of the GSG-5--exactly what another calgunner mentioned before. Replacement stocks are cheap $15-80 depending on how lucky you are and where you shop.

Last edited by Solidsnake87; 03-03-2008 at 2:57 PM..
Old 03-03-2008, 6:48 PM

I want one when the next batch comes in... one question, where are you guys getting the mags? I cannot find them anywhere on the net. I have seen they are not yet making 10/30's, so are you getting yours shipped disassembled and modding them? From where?

I just don't want to buy a new gun with no mags
Old 03-03-2008, 6:57 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbok View Post
I want one when the next batch comes in... one question, where are you guys getting the mags? I cannot find them anywhere on the net. I have seen they are not yet making 10/30's, so are you getting yours shipped disassembled and modding them? From where?

I just don't want to buy a new gun with no mags
The factory 10 round magazines are currently not available in the USA. No ETA when they will be.

Some distributors will ship a dissassembled 22 round magazine with the rifle, so you have to permanently modify if to 10 rounds.
But, most distributors are now modifying the magazines to 10 rounds prior to shipping it to your FFL.