Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-12-2014, 1:29 PM

Default Remington rolling block single shot 32 cal

Good afternoon, I was out looking at some local gun stores and ran into an OLD looking rifle I know absolutely nothing about. It has an octagonal barrel. I could find no markings "the employee told me what it was. What do I want to look for as far as collectability and rating? I just watched a show were they had something similar and they stated with the barrel pitting and finish it would be considered browned out and retain almost no collectors value. Anyhow its not cheap. Just want to know what I'm looking at prior to making a decision. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 02-12-2014, 2:51 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

IIRC, those are chambered in .32 Rimfire. Ammo ain't cheap! And it's not being made anymore.

FWIW, the last Remington No. 6 Falling Block I saw for sale went for about $130.
Old 02-12-2014, 6:58 PM

I have old Remington 32 rimfire. Ammo is almost impossible to find. I paid $3 a round just to have some. But, I wouldn't sell or trade it.
Old 02-12-2014, 7:02 PM
Veteran Member

The value varies a great deal on which model it is --
The 32 rf is not available - collection priced - and not readily/cheaply converted to cf.
The #1 1/2 and #2 rifles can and are often converted/rebarreled to modern useful cartridges.
The #4 and #6 are usually considered 22rf only -
The #6 is not a true rolling block but a falling block --
What did the store owner tell you it was?
As you can see "rolling block" covers a lot of ground -
my tuppence

Last edited by gunboat; 02-12-2014 at 7:08 PM..
Old 02-12-2014, 7:09 PM

Mine is a #6 falling block I think. Looks like a little kid gun. Really cute.
Old 02-12-2014, 7:21 PM
Veteran Member

There are two models of #6 -- original and "improved" -- While they look alike apparently none of the parts interchange --
The improved model has a forged "receiver" while the original was two pieces of plate and a spacer riveted together --
In either event , certainly fun weapons --

Last edited by gunboat; 02-12-2014 at 7:25 PM..
Old 02-15-2014, 9:14 AM

Well the employee working really did not know a whole lot about it. The tag just said Remington rolling block 32 caliber. I looked the gun over from top to bottom and could find no markings or numbers on it. My guess is he looked on the internet and just found something that looked similar and based his information on that. With that being said inspecting the firing pin it does appear to be towards the bottom and not in the center so you guys are probably right about rimfire. The gun is definitely old and aged looking but I put a bore scope down the barrel and the barrel looked good with good rifling and no apparent pitting. I thought they had it priced close to 700.00 but going back it was priced at 499.00. From you comments it does not seem to be worth what they are asking. And as someone said it is a small rifle and you would think youth gun based on the size. Anyhow thanks for the input.
Old 02-15-2014, 9:21 AM

Not sure,but I think I saw one like mine for sale on one of the internet gun sites. Can't remember what they were asking for it.
Old 02-15-2014, 6:10 PM
Veteran Member

Click on these different models of Remington Rolling Blocks, and you see a pic of the receiver that identifies them.
http://www.rollingblockparts.com/modelsparts.html
Remington called the #6 a rolling block, and it's sometimes called a falling block. Technically, it's a pivot block.
Many of the single shot rifles chambered in .32 Rimfire, can be converted fairly easily to .32 S&W Short or Long center fire, if loaded with black powder, or loaded to BP pressures.