Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-11-2014, 1:48 PM

Default SoCal Skeet Clinic 2/8/14 Photo Op and Debrief

Successfully convinced a few friends to join me for the past 2/8/14 SoCal Skeet clinic. Some had never shot a gun in their life, some had never shot a shotgun, and all had never shot skeet or anything outside of an indoor range before. In the end, while I'm not sure one session made any new gun owners out of the group, all of them were more than happy to sign up with me to do it again.

I'm not sure whether it was because there was a high ratio of newcomers vs clinic regulars or because Don wanted to show his and Richard's coaching prowess off to the ladies, but he [Don] challenged both BFG and I to shoot a high house one-handed. Yeah yeah, picking on the pump guns.

BFG runs a more tactical setup than most skeet clinic attendees, but this isn't his first rodeo so he steps up to the station and knocks the bird out of the sky no problem. Cue applause. Then I step up and my first realization is that 30 honkin inches of barrel is a fair bit of forward weight to deal with. The second realization is that I really need to work out more. Maybe its the patented Don and Richard fundamentals drilled in, but I luck out and everything in me works together to pull the trigger. Dead bird. Now if I could only convince that girl I'm trying to impress to come out to the clinics...

TL : DR Probably one of the best ways to spend a morning with friends. Team Don and Richard continue providing unparalleled all-star coaching to newcomers and regulars alike and I've added a few new people to the list of folks who would gladly join me for shooting. Good times.

Old 02-11-2014, 2:24 PM
Calguns Addict

So....who's the guy with the tacticool shotgun with extended magazine tube, rifle style front sight and side saddle?
Old 02-11-2014, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearbear View Post
So....who's the guy with the tacticool shotgun with extended magazine tube, rifle style front sight and side saddle?
That's BigFatguy or BFG, He's one of several Clinic shooters (and he was also the first one) to, so generously, offer SoCal Skeet Clinic "Scholarships" to new, or new to clay target shooters. So far, no one has taken him up on his most generous offer.

I would also like to personally thank BFG, Ray-PDA, Trapperjohn, and all the other Clinic shooters who have went out of their way to bring new shooters into Clay Target shooting.

Thank you guys for helping to grow the Shooting Sports.

P.S. Also, if BFG can shoot a man-size target as well as he can shoot little clay targets with that HD gun, then the bad guy is in for a Very Bad day and I am not a fan of HD guns for clay target shooting.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearbear View Post
That's me. The magazine isn't extended, that's how my 590 came.

The sights have helped me a great deal. The shotgun doesn't fit me, and the ghost ring serves a very similar purpose as the odd extended rails you see on very high end shotguns... gives my peripheral vision something concrete to work with... plus it gives a very clear indication of when I fail to keep my head planted in the same place on the stock when shooting doubles.

The side-saddle is just there because Captain Dick keeps teasing me about my "fuzzy" shotgun when I take it off.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

and, for the record, they got me in the middle of doing the "my cold dead hands" pose...