Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:14 PM

Default New to archery need arrows? What kind??? I got my recurve

Now I need arrows what should I get? Cheaper pratice ones would be awesome! And a good one or two thanks guys!
55# bow And what extra string do I need to get?
Samick-Sage-Takedown-Recurve 55#

Hi guys anything even close To that price range? I have a wtb add posted I'm willing to trade guns or ammo but I was wondering can I buy a stater set or bow for around $200? And then how much should I expect to pay for a release, shooting glove, sight quiver and anything else I might need??:/

I'm very new to archery so any and all info is great I have googled a bunch but there is so much info!
WTB CZ 512 22wmr
WTB seecamp or Tomcat 32acp

Last edited by mtsul; 02-12-2014 at 6:19 PM..
Old 02-11-2014, 12:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You should be able to get a recurve setup for about that.
Your location shows sometimes Riverside. If you're down that way stop into
http://www.riversidearcheryca.net/ A Samick Sage recurve will run about $140.00. By the time you add arrows etc. you'll be at about $200.00
Old 02-11-2014, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsul View Post
Hi guys anything even close To that price range? I have a wtb add posted I'm willing to trade guns or ammo but I was wondering can I buy a stater set or bow for around $200? And then how much should I expect to pay for a release, shooting glove, sight quiver and anything else I might need??:/

I'm very new to archery so any and all info is great I have googled a bunch but there is so much info!
Agreed, Samick Sage. Best bang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 02-12-2014, 4:37 PM

Thank you! I have a bunch of stuff in my amazon cart! Now I'm going to try and sell a gun to get a bow
WTB CZ 512 22wmr
Old 02-12-2014, 5:04 PM
CGSSA Associate

If the Sage is out of stock take a look at the OMP Mountaineer. Pretty good bow for the money.
Old 02-12-2014, 6:14 PM

Now I need arrows what should I get? Cheaper pratice ones would be awesome! And a good one or two thanks guys!
WTB CZ 512 22wmr
Old 02-12-2014, 6:28 PM
Banned

Samik is a wonderful bow for the price,
in fact I like their riser so much I had a custom bow built on it,
Make sure you match the spine of your arrows to your bow, if it says 55# that is 55# at 28" draw,
so if you draw say 26" the true draw weight is about 51#,
if you don't understand spine learn first before you select your arrows
N
5 cents please
Old 02-12-2014, 6:31 PM
Veteran Member

Take a trip to Archery Only in Newark.
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
We have the time and the hammers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown
Study and learn our history and law as it is -- not as you would like it to be.
Old 02-12-2014, 8:47 PM
CGSSA Associate

55lb is a heavy recurve for someone that is new to archery. I would recommend getting a set of lighter limbs to practice on until you perfect your form. Take a look over at archerytalk in the traditional section for some great write ups and videos on form.
Old 02-12-2014, 9:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

FYI, you can use wood, carbon fiber, or aluminum arrows with a recurve.

I shoot Gold Tip Hunter Expedition 5575 carbon arrows in my 50+ pound bows.

You'll have to figure out what works best for your bow

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 02-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Part time Emperor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Try Fat Shafts Archery in Benicia. Bayshore Rd off 680. They have an indoor range & pro shop. Good folks & I just got a dozen aluminium ones (forgot the brand for about < $40. Perfect for practice. You choose the nocks, field tips & fletch. They'll measureo your draw length & cut them & put them together.

Bass Pro has their Red Head type & can be had for a great price, too. You have to buy the tips, too.

I just picked up a PSE Razorback from FS & thought I could pull a 35# but quickly swallowed my ego & went to a 25#:-)
Old 02-15-2014, 5:59 PM

If you can find them, Gold Tip makes a wood-look carbon fiber arrow shaft. I bought a dozen "blems" on ebay for $50 about 3 years ago. You can find regular ones pre-made for about $120dz. Aluminum is a good choice also, but won't take anywhere near the abuse of carbon fiber. The plus is they are cheaper initially. If you plan on indoor shooting aluminum will work great. Outdoors, arrows tend to get abused more and lost. Samick makes some really nice bows for their price points. I own a Samick made Trad-Tech longbow that is probably one of the smoothest shooting trad bows I've shot. I also agree that 55 lbs is pretty hefty for a first bow unless you have those muscle groups already well developed. As far as your accessories go, a glove or tab is a must, a release isn't really need on a recurve bow. A simple belt quiver works well for indoor shooting. Sights are handy if you hunt or shoot Olympic style, but if you are beginning, it might be better to perfect form and natural aim first before trying to get technical. Balancers, shock dampeners, etc are not going to help much if you don't have your fundamentals down pat. When you are well practiced, and well fundamentaled, then you might notice the difference these things make.

Last edited by covingtonhouse; 03-09-2014 at 11:21 AM..
Old 02-20-2014, 9:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Excellent advice there. Start with the bottom of the draw weight-range limbs and work on technique, technique, technique. That's what traditional archery is about. If you just want heavy draw weight, cheat and go into compounds.

My son and I have the Samick Sage and Journey. Journey is identical to Sage riser, but the limbs are slightly longer, better for tall people, and people like me who got frustrated waiting for the lighter draw-weight Sage limbs to become available .

I started off with carbon arrows, and already snapped three of them when I missed the target and backer and went into the dirt and rocks behind it. Given that my range is in an undeveloped area and tucked into cliffs and canyons, I probably should've started off w/aluminum arrows.

If you don't have a local archery store to support, Three Rivers and Lancaster both have a strong on-line presence and can help you get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter_619 View Post
55lb is a heavy recurve for someone that is new to archery. I would recommend getting a set of lighter limbs to practice on until you perfect your form. Take a look over at archerytalk in the traditional section for some great write ups and videos on form.
Old 02-23-2014, 8:17 AM

There are a couple of great traditional archery websites..."Trad Gang" being one that will have all your answers...along with private sales....good luck.
Old 02-25-2014, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsul View Post
55# bow And what extra string do I need to get?
Samick-Sage-Takedown-Recurve 55#

-------

Like other posters have stated, Samick Sage is a good value. 55# is too much draw weight, it will not allow you to build correct form. 25-30 lbs is more reasonable. The Sage does not come with a very good string,its more of a rope. Go with a 12 strand D97 and make sure the serving is built up to accept the nocks of your choice. The Sage limbs are phenolic reinforced so it can take these high performance strings. You will need some sort of arrow rest even if you intend to shoot off the shelf. If you want to shoot of the shelf, you will need a shelf rug and a strike plate. For a more forgiving setup go with a elevated rest. A simple stick on like a Hoyt super rest would work or you can go fancy with a magnetic flipper and plunger. A simple one in your case would be better, its much cheaper and the Hoyt rest is seen in Olympic competition. In your situation, just get the rest, the string,tab, and a bow sling and you are set to go. Have a shop set you up with the correctly spined arrows and have them set up your nock point height.

http://www.worldarchery.org/UserFile..._Equipment.pdf

If you are shooting bare bow

http://www.stickbow.com/FEATURES/SHOOTING/gap.CFM
Old 03-21-2014, 4:55 PM

As everyone stated 55# is gonna be too much to start with. I shoot a 65# compound so I started with a 45# long bow and I'm only now 3 years later beginning to think of a 50-55# bow.

As for arrows, you'll need more than you think, especially if you're just starting, especially if you are just starting with a 55# bow. Them arrows are tough to find when they come out of a strong bow. The Bass Pro red heads are $60/dz and are fine for your purposes. Just match spine to dw and dl.