Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-28-2008, 8:40 PM

Default S&W Sigma SW40F Barrel Interchangable with Glock 22 Barrel?

I've read sparcely that the old 4.5" S&W Sigma barrels are interchangeable with the Glock 22s, and the newer 4" Sigma barrels are interchangeable with Glock 23s. I was wondering if anyone of you out there has actually done this successfully?

I wound up with two SW40F Sigmas -- one I got got 15 years ago when I was young and dumb (although to be fair, I've never had problems with it), and the other one I got recently from my buddy when his (new) wife made him get rid of it.

I'm thinking about doing a barrel conversion to one of them to 9mm using a Lone Wolf conversion barrel for a Glock 22 for my Sigma, and I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on whether this is possible or unsafe to do?

Thank you all for your thoughts!
Old 02-28-2008, 9:14 PM
Calguns Addict

hahahah, you're kidding right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier415 View Post
I am naked except for seatless white chaps, a boonie hat and a tactical vest playing HALO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 02-28-2008, 9:32 PM

I used to have a Sigma 9V and a Glock 19 at the same time, sold the Sigma early last year. I did try to switch barrel once to see if the parts are interchangable. If I remember correctly, Glock barrel will fit into a sigma, but cannot cycle the slide. Sigma's barrel won't fit into Glock at all.
Old 02-29-2008, 2:13 AM

I can't believe anyone would do that to a Glock....
Old 03-20-2008, 11:46 AM

Okay, I've finally had a chance to conduct my experiment and it works! My dumb *** ordered the conversion barrel (from Lone Wolf -- LWD Barrel M/22 Conversion to 9mm Extended 2 Port) before I posted the question above, so, I figure I'd get it and see if it worked.

I got a hair up my *** when I read somewhere that Glock 23 barrels were interchangeable with the newer Sigmas (102mm barrels), so I figure maybe the older 1st generation 114 mm barrels would be interchangeable with a Glock 22. Well it is! (It looks like that the 9mm Glock/Sigma barrels are not interchangeable, though). To be complete, I also ordered a 9mm Sigma magazine (which fits fine in the SW40F Sigma).

I finally got to the range to experiment last night, and, feeding 9mm rounds in the 40SW Sigma magazine worked just as fine as with using the 9mm magazine. I did have a few incomplete ejections with both magazines, so, it's not perfect, but it works (and definitely not for home defense). The incomplete ejections seemed to disappear towards the end of my shoot.

A pic of the barrel I ordered from Lone Wolf:

This is mostly an educational exercise, as this conversion pistol is only for plinking purposes and would not rely on it for home defense (only as a last resort). But, since I had two of these Sigmas lying around, I now diversified my collection with an extra caliber. I figure some of you might find this information interesting, although I would not advocate getting a Sigma solely for this purpose.