Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:29 PM

Default sidearm & range time.

Hello Calgun LEO's,

I'm in the hiring process for Riverside and San Diego Sheriff's Department. I think I have a good chance of getting hired by one of these departments.

My question is not about the hiring process or anything like that, but more on the perks that comes with the job.

Do deputy sheriff's get department issued ammo (free) to shoot on their own time?
What are the average discount rate for LEO's buying firearms?
Do you get to pick your backup firearm?
What is the standard issue sidearm?

I'm asking primarily because marksmanship has been an important part of my life. Please don't read into it. I don't have any misguided agenda. Any insight will quench my curiosity. Thanks in advance.

*** Update: It is not my intention to give the impression that my priorities in wanting to be in Law Enforcement are solely based on "perks, free ammo, and guns". I am a 6 year veteran of the Marine Corps, worked 8 years as an armed nuclear security officer, and I am currently working on my Masters degree. Maybe I stuctured my questions poorly, and for that I apologize. I am seeking a new fulfilling and rewarding career that I could dedicate the next 30 years of my life to, regardless of the "perks". I was simply curious and after spending a while on google unsuccessful in finding answers, I decided to post my curiosity on Calguns. This was not meant to get anybody bent out of shape or upset about the nature of my questions.

Last edited by Mickael81; 02-10-2014 at 11:18 AM..
Old 02-10-2014, 6:08 AM

Default Perks?

Really? Your primary interest is the "Perks of the job"? You forgot the free coffee and donuts.
I think if I were your background investigator, I would have serious issues with this post. Maybe you should re-evaluate your career choice.
I think if target shooting is your favorite hobby, you should join a gun club. Law enforcement is a career, a very small part of which has to do with shooting, and none of which has to do with "perks".
Just my opinion based on 32 years on the job.
Old 02-10-2014, 6:26 AM

Valid questions since you'll be part of the vast "boning" of LEOs due to benfits changes.

Search for dealers who participate in Glock blue label sales and Sig LE sales. Probably easiest to visit the mfg home pages and tool around there.

Some depts. don't even have budget for shooting other than on non-qual days. Time was, 70's through the 90's, you could go out and shoot anytime, all the time especially if there was a MP5 in a locker with your call out gear.
Old 02-10-2014, 6:29 AM

You know, I'm going through the hiring process with a couple of departments here in the San Diego region, and the "fringe benefits" were not once ever in the equation for me.
OP- you might want to think hard about your choice. As stated above, this is a career choice. There is so much more to this profession than just slinging a gun.
Old 02-10-2014, 6:42 AM

Just went through an FTO Update course and one of the instructors was talking about this very thing with new recruits going through; entitlement mentality.

"How soon can I get a dog or become a detective?" Or my favorite "how long will I have to work nights before I can get holidays off"

OP, your questions, although valid should not be your concern going through the hiring process... If you're choosing to apply with a department based on if you get "free ammo" or "discounts" then you really need to consider the profession you're getting in to... Otherwise you'll be in for a huge culture shock come academy/field training.

Ask these questions to your background investigator and see what he/she says..

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2014, 8:09 AM

First your questions:
1) it varies with each department's policy/practice and current budget budget. Generally, dept ammo is for use on dept ranges/quals/trainings. You do not get to grab a few boxes to use in the desert. Budgets are tight and have been for 5-6 years.

2) No such thing. A LGS may give LEO/mil/first responder discounts but that is entirely up to them and it varies. There are LEO only shops (ProForce, Allstate, Adamson, etc) and LEO pricing (i.e. blue line pricing from Glock) from many manufacturers but varies too. Many times the pricing is for duty type firearms and gear only.

3) Very few depts issue a back-up. There is typically an approved list you can choose from but it's on your dime. Varies with depts.

4) Don't know current issued sidearms.

Now a comment or two.
The career choice has been addressed above. Please consider what has been said. You may not have meant it but the way your questions were phrased is concerning.

As for shooting, I got much more range time before choosing this career. Simple reason: schedule (and life). I shot mulitple USPSA matches every month before, now not so much. As a new LEO, you will be working weekends and/or nights and that's when most matches are. By the time you get seniority to work week day shifts, you very well could have a family. If that's the case, you'll be having a blast watching your kids play soccer on the weekends (match days). BTW: at my shop the junior guy (not counting trainees or probbies) on a non-weekend squad this go around has 8 years on.

LEO pricing on gear is nice, don't get me wrong. I am thankful and support those vendors that offer it. Keep in mind if you get picked up and survive to get off probation, you'll be making around $60K starting at RSD. A $100 discount on pistol equates to about .17% of your annual gross salary. Or that's a few hours of traffic court OT. Not significant in the grand scale of a 30 year career. Don't major in the minor stuff.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3S16 View Post
Really? Your primary interest is the "Perks of the job"? You forgot the free coffee and donuts.
I think if I were your background investigator, I would have serious issues with this post. Maybe you should re-evaluate your career choice.
I think if target shooting is your favorite hobby, you should join a gun club. Law enforcement is a career, a very small part of which has to do with shooting, and none of which has to do with "perks".
Just my opinion based on 32 years on the job.
I think you took my questions out of context. Of course my primary interests in Law Enforce are NOT the "perks" that the job offers. And yes, I am seeking a new fulfilling and rewarding career.

My questions were not meant to offend any LEO but I was curious about the questions I had in mind and couldn't simply Google it. I'm not some idiot kid daydreaming of becoming a cop.

I have served 6 years in the U.S.Marine Corps, spent the following 8 years as an armed nuclear security officer, have a Bachelor's degree and I am currently working on my graduate degree.

My only "hobby" outside of work, things that I do for personal enjoyment, is going to the range and work on my marksmanship. It is something that I enjoy, helps me relax, and makes me happy. I am a member of a gun range, and I do attend training with organizations such as Falcon Operations Group.

With that said, firearms and shooting are not the only reasons why I want to be in Law Enforcement. I just didn't think that in a public forum, I had to write a long autobiography just to convince others that I was justified to ask a few questions that I was curious about.

Once again, I am sorry if you were offended. That was not my intention when I posted this thread.

P.S. Are you serious about the no free coffee and donuts? Now that's a deal breaker! Just kidding....

Last edited by Mickael81; 02-10-2014 at 11:23 AM..
Old 02-10-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixicus View Post
First your questions:
1) it varies with each department's policy/practice and current budget budget. Generally, dept ammo is for use on dept ranges/quals/trainings. You do not get to grab a few boxes to use in the desert. Budgets are tight and have been for 5-6 years.

2) No such thing. A LGS may give LEO/mil/first responder discounts but that is entirely up to them and it varies. There are LEO only shops (ProForce, Allstate, Adamson, etc) and LEO pricing (i.e. blue line pricing from Glock) from many manufacturers but varies too. Many times the pricing is for duty type firearms and gear only.

3) Very few depts issue a back-up. There is typically an approved list you can choose from but it's on your dime. Varies with depts.

4) Don't know current issued sidearms.

Now a comment or two.
The career choice has been addressed above. Please consider what has been said. You may not have meant it but the way your questions were phrased is concerning.

As for shooting, I got much more range time before choosing this career. Simple reason: schedule (and life). I shot mulitple USPSA matches every month before, now not so much. As a new LEO, you will be working weekends and/or nights and that's when most matches are. By the time you get seniority to work week day shifts, you very well could have a family. If that's the case, you'll be having a blast watching your kids play soccer on the weekends (match days). BTW: at my shop the junior guy (not counting trainees or probbies) on a non-weekend squad this go around has 8 years on.

LEO pricing on gear is nice, don't get me wrong. I am thankful and support those vendors that offer it. Keep in mind if you get picked up and survive to get off probation, you'll be making around $60K starting at RSD. A $100 discount on pistol equates to about .17% of your annual gross salary. Or that's a few hours of traffic court OT. Not significant in the grand scale of a 30 year career. Don't major in the minor stuff.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. It was my mistake for posting questions in a poorly structured manner. I should have been more detailed and specific on my intentions. I did go back and put a disclaimer under the original thread.
Old 02-10-2014, 7:37 PM

1) Probably not. But you might get thrown a box or two to load up extra mags to carry on duty or a few extra mags on range day if you are nice to range staff.
2) As has already been said, it varies. Sometimes its about $100, sometimes its alot more.
3)Depends on the department.
4) Depends on the department, personally, I think its a stupid policy to allow anyone to carry (almost) whatever the heck they want. But I don't get to make the rules.
Old 02-10-2014, 9:07 PM

Default LASD

Ill answer for how we do it with LASD.

Do deputy sheriff's get department issued ammo (free) to shoot on their own time?

No, we have a number of mobile ranges and actual ranges. You are more than welcome to go to any mobile range and practice shoot, when they are open.
However the ammo is provided free of charge, that goes for the Biscailuz range which have open practice times.

What are the average discount rate for LEO's buying firearms?

Like others have said, there is a number of police firearm stores in the southland. Sig Sauer has a law enforcement buying program too.

Do you get to pick your backup firearm?

With us, yes, but it has to be from an approved list.

What is the standard issue sidearm?

For the longest time we were issuing the Beretta 92FS, but now we are issuing S&W M&P 9mm. I have carried a USP 45 and more recently a Sig P220, will be going back to a 9mm in the near future.