Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-28-2008, 4:51 PM

Default Sub compacts?? Glock 26 vs Springfield XD9

Looking to buy a sub compact shortly and have narrowed my choices to a Glock 26 or a XD9.

I have already handled a Glock 26. The only downfall with the 26 is my pinky hangs below the grip but is extremely compact for IWB carry. I also handled the Glock 19 and would like something more compact. I am a former owner of Glock 17 and was very happy with the performance, finish and durability.

I have not been able to handle a XD9 and would like some opinions on it compared to the Glock 26. I do like the addition of a light rail on the XD for home defense on the nightstand.

Does the pinky still hang below the grip on the XD?

How does the finish on the XD hold up compared to the glock for everyday IWB carry?

Any problems or quirks with the XD i should be aware of?

The one i choose will be for IWB carry in a crossbreed holster http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/beltslide.html

Thanks ahead of time for any information you can provide.

Last edited by larryb; 02-28-2008 at 5:21 PM..
Old 02-28-2008, 4:57 PM

The pinky will still hang below the grip with the XD unless you use the X-tension that it comes with, making it normal length. The XD45 compact maintains the same length as the 4" service model but the grip is somewhere inbetween full size and subcompact. In my opinion, the short grip is what makes it a subcompact. If you are comfortable with a Glock then I don't see a reason with going with the XD. (even though I personally love my XD more than any other handgun I own). I'm not sure if the Glock comes with an extension magazine, but I would think that it does. Like someone else will probably say, try both before you buy.
Old 02-28-2008, 5:09 PM
Banned

The reason subcompacts are easier to conceal is because of the shorter grip. If you use the mag extension you are defeating the purpose. In the case of a G26 you are creating grip length that is pretty much equal to that of a G19, but you are sacrificing G19's barrel length. My advice would be to either get used to a subcompact grip (it's really not that bad), or go up to a G19. It's almost as easy to conceal and you will have the light rail that you want for HD.

In any case, the rule of thumb is that the most difficult part of a gun to conceal is its grip.
Old 02-28-2008, 5:13 PM

I know you have basically already decided on one of these two, but if you are looking sub-compact and it would seem you might be carrying it then, have you looked at the Kahrs? They are flatter than either of these two and should carry easier.

Just a thought....

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2008, 5:14 PM
Calguns Addict

G26 with pinkie extension
I was at the range (insight) asked all 3 guys working there what is the most durable handgun they rent out, they all said the same thing "Glock".
I asked about the XD and they said "we had one that needed repair, but for the most part it's a good gun".

I think you should shoot both and see what you like.

PUREMMA
MIXED MARTIAL ARTS ACADEMY

Last edited by 1lostinspace; 02-28-2008 at 5:17 PM..
Old 02-28-2008, 5:20 PM

Don't get me wrong, I can adapt to my pinky hanging below the grip and was curious if the XD is the same way or if the grip on the XD was somewhere in between the Glock 19 and 26. As of right now i am leaning towards the Glock 26 which costs slightly more than the XD. The XD includes a holster and mag carrier but doubt i'll ever use it anyway.

I will see if i can get my hands on Kahr and check that out too.
Old 02-28-2008, 5:43 PM

Default glock options...

if you like the g26, look at the g27, you can always buy a 9mm conversion barrel along with 357 sig and get cheap glock mags, add a finger extension if you want and have a lot of gun in a little package. I haven't carried an xd, but the g27 sure hids nicely. I have the little glock 22 cal conversion kit and it lets you really practice with gun for very little money.

michaels
Old 02-28-2008, 5:43 PM

I have the XD40 Subcompact. I can get my pinky on the grip without an extension, but I don't have huge hands. I also tried out the Glock 27 and couldn't get my pinky on the thing, but I shot it very accurately. It feels strange to curl the pinky under the mag, but you should get used to it quickly.

For my purposes, adding a mag extension defeats the purpose of a subcompact. The height of the weapon is the key dimension in concealability. If you plan on using extensions, you might as well step up to a compact model and get the advantage of better ballistics and a longer sight radius, with pretty much the same concealability. Personally, I prefer a subcompact mag in the weapon and two full-size mags as reloads.

As far as finish, the modern Melonite finish on the XD is comparable to the Glock's Tenifer, and I've heard they're actually the same process but I can't confirm. I do know if you pick up an older XD (pre-2006?), it will have the Bruniral finish, which is what mine has and I am very unimpressed.

I did a lot of research before buying my XD and there were some huge threads about Glock vs. XD. Almost as flamed out as AR vs. AK. Personally, the trigger feel and grip safety sold me on the XD. No amount of gunsmithing will give the Glock the kind of trigger I like. You can make it light, but not crisp. The grip safety The other factors that swayed me toward the XD were grip angle and comfort. Looks like you're already accustomed to Glock so no issue there.

Initially, I was going to go for the Glock simply because I had a shot at a brand-new G27 for $399 and I'm a frugal dude. When I saw the XD on sale for $429, though, my decision was made. In the end, both are reliable, excellent weapons.
Old 02-28-2008, 5:47 PM

whoops- I see that Odesskiy already covered some of my major points. I started my reply a long time ago but my wife stepped out and I had to guard the two kiddies.
Old 02-28-2008, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy5 View Post
I have the XD40 Subcompact. I can get my pinky on the grip without an extension, but I don't have huge hands. I also tried out the Glock 27 and couldn't get my pinky on the thing, but I shot it very accurately. It feels strange to curl the pinky under the mag, but you should get used to it quickly.

For my purposes, adding a mag extension defeats the purpose of a subcompact. The height of the weapon is the key dimension in concealability. If you plan on using extensions, you might as well step up to a compact model and get the advantage of better ballistics and a longer sight radius, with pretty much the same concealability. Personally, I prefer a subcompact mag in the weapon and two full-size mags as reloads.

As far as finish, the modern Melonite finish on the XD is comparable to the Glock's Tenifer, and I've heard they're actually the same process but I can't confirm. I do know if you pick up an older XD (pre-2006?), it will have the Bruniral finish, which is what mine has and I am very unimpressed.

I did a lot of research before buying my XD and there were some huge threads about Glock vs. XD. Almost as flamed out as AR vs. AK. Personally, the trigger feel and grip safety sold me on the XD. No amount of gunsmithing will give the Glock the kind of trigger I like. You can make it light, but not crisp. The grip safety The other factors that swayed me toward the XD were grip angle and comfort. Looks like you're already accustomed to Glock so no issue there.

Initially, I was going to go for the Glock simply because I had a shot at a brand-new G27 for $399 and I'm a frugal dude. When I saw the XD on sale for $429, though, my decision was made. In the end, both are reliable, excellent weapons.
Thanks for your excellent insight. Man thats a heck of a deal. I am looking at 500.00 for the XD and 525.00 for the Glock.
Old 02-28-2008, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaels View Post
if you like the g26, look at the g27, you can always buy a 9mm conversion barrel along with 357 sig and get cheap glock mags, add a finger extension if you want and have a lot of gun in a little package. I haven't carried an xd, but the g27 sure hids nicely. I have the little glock 22 cal conversion kit and it lets you really practice with gun for very little money.

michaels
That is also one of my options. I have a ton of 9mm ammo which would be great practice ammo and buy some quality 40 ammo for carry purposes.
Old 02-28-2008, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odesskiy View Post
The reason subcompacts are easier to conceal is because of the shorter grip. If you use the mag extension you are defeating the purpose. In the case of a G26 you are creating grip length that is pretty much equal to that of a G19, but you are sacrificing G19's barrel length. My advice would be to either get used to a subcompact grip (it's really not that bad), or go up to a G19. It's almost as easy to conceal and you will have the light rail that you want for HD.

In any case, the rule of thumb is that the most difficult part of a gun to conceal is its grip.
Thanks for the info. I will be going with a sub compact as its much easier to conceal during the summer months. Although the Glock 19 is great i prefer to stay with a sub compact. Like i said i'll deal with the pinky below the grip issue if i go with the glock.
Old 02-29-2008, 5:07 PM

Anyone tried one of these?

http://www.concealablecontrol.com/

I have this...

http://www.pearcegrip.com/glock.htm#Glock_Model_26

...on both my 26 and 27. It still conceals pretty good because of the way it's tapered it allows the shirt to flow over the grip.