Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 02-07-2014, 3:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default First rifle purchase - Savage Axis .223 - some noob questions inside

I got some gift cards from Big 5 from the in-laws for Christmas and went in today and DROS'd the Savage Axis .223 bolt-action package (came with a Bushnell scope 3-9 x 40mm). Sale price was $339.
I've shot other people's AR-15's recently and shot M-14's when I was in the Navy but this is my first riflle that I own.

Purpose will be mostly target with possibly some varmint/small game hunting. I specifically chose .223 so that my 13yo daughter can get comfortable with little recoil before we move on to a larger caliber.

Some noob questions if anyone could answer or provide links; I did a search on here but it just returns private sales links:

1. What's the difference in the different ammo grains?
2. How do you clean/strip/maintain the rifle? I have pistols so rod/brush/patches is something I am familiar with.
3. It's my understanding that currently California's transport laws are simply unloaded - a locked case is not required for transport. Can anyone confirm this?
Any other suggestions/advice/good youtube links for the answers to any of these?

I'm looking forward to picking her up on President's Day!
Old 02-07-2014, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34Gee View Post

2. How do you clean/strip/maintain the rifle? I have pistols so rod/brush/patches is something I am familiar with.
3. It's my understanding that currently California's transport laws are simply unloaded - a locked case is not required for transport. Can anyone confirm this?
Any other suggestions/advice/good youtube links for the answers to any of these?
1. Grain is a unit of measure for weight. Bullet weight is measured in grains. 15.4 grains = 1 gram.

2. Read the owners manual. Get yourself a one-piece cleaning rod (Dewey nylon coated or Tipton carbon fiber), bore solvent (Hoppes #9), brass jag, .17-.22 cal patches, .22 cal bronze brush, gun oil. For your Axis, you can do without the bore guide. Remove the bolt, clean from the rear of the receiver. Watch this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymyw7CLFWOk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMf-q1mD5Jk

Clean it once when it's new. Then repeat after 1000 rounds or when you notice a degradation in accuracy. Don't waste your time with the "barrel break in" nonsense voodoo superstitious witchcraft boolschit.

3. Locked container is for handguns.
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel
Old 02-07-2014, 5:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thank you!
Old 02-07-2014, 6:11 PM
Veteran Member

Just FYI, the stock and scope are throw aways. They'll work but the gun really improves with those replaced. Boyds makes a very nice stock for the Axis for about $100.

I bought one for the wife in .243. So far its been a great gun. Here's a good video on a DIY trigger job for the Axis. I did it before we ever shot the gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3GvLTi2CCA

On the ammo, different grains/weights serve different purposes. A 55 grain would be fine for paper, small varmint, up to about 150 yards. If you want to stretch it out a bit more a heavier bullet would help.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:36 PM

If you do the upgrades the poster above says, then you might as well have just bought a different gun. Personally, if you wanted to stay with Savage, they are coming out with the Savage Axis II with the accutrigger, which will be a heck of an upgrade. That is probably why they are selling the old model so cheaply. I can answer you grains question in that the more grains, the heavier the bullet, the less the lighter. .223 is customarily in the 55g version and a lot of the cheaper stuff will be FMJ (full metal jacket). I personally like shooting 40 grain bullets with mine and I like the ballistic tips for a tad more accuracy and more velocity. The downside is that in windy conditions, the lighter bullet has more wind drift. So you see, there is not one perfect thing that does it all. I am a reloader, so I can vary my loads and load for the rifle to see which configuration it likes best. The scope your rifle comes with is OK, but really it isn't worth much on the used market especially. I generally save those for my .22LR plinkers and buy a good scope that I can depend on. Nikon, Redfield, Burris comes to mind, but I am sure there are others. I would typically spend $200-$300 for optics on a rifle like the axis. IMO it is not worth spending $500 for optics on a $300 rifle, though some I know would. One thing is for sure, though, optics will make all the difference on making better long distance shots. In terms of target, you will find out rather quickly that you have not bought a target rifle for $300. Most people I know spend $1,000 or more for a good target rifle...perhaps several 1000's for a Cooper or others. A real target gun generally has a bull barrel, free floated, glass or/and pillar bedded, can be real heavy, high power scope etc. To clean the rifle, I would buy a Hoppes kit. They usually sell for around $30 and include everything you need. Clean it after you get it home and after every range trip, at least the bore and run a lightly lubed patch at the end for storage. Don't lube the trigger or action all up as that can attract dirt/dust. Just a light coat of lube on the outside of the barrel and any part that could rust for storage. It is nice to keep them clean IMO and it doesn't hurt them to be clean. Sodon't wait to clean it for 1000 rounds. That's crazy IMO. As for carrying in the vehicle, always separate the ammo and carry that in a different area, like rifle in cab, ammo in bed of truck. A nice soft case is all that is needed for the rifle, but if you elect for a locking hard case, that is not a bad option either. Main thing is that by your actions, you are teaching your child as well. Better to be on the safe side. So even if it is not law that you have to lock it in a hard case, why not? It would be a good example to your kid and help them know that the rifle is not a toy, yet it can be fun and exciting tool for both to enjoy.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:36 AM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
The grain count is the weight of the bullet. Generally, you will see better results with heavier bullets since they'll tend to be less hampered by the wind. Your rifle should have a 1 in 9" twist rate, which is in the middle of the range for .223. The faster your twist rate, the heavier the bullet you can use. For a 1 in 9" twist, you will probably optimally shoot a bullet that is in the mid-60s in terms of grains and depending on the bullet.
Quote:
Don't get carried away with bolt rifles. They need little cleaning and don't scrub your barrel each time. Apply some lubrication to your bolt so it cycles smoothly. Occasionally, run some boar foam through the gun and pick up the remnants with a cotton. This generally gets the gun clean enough without heavy scrubbing.
Quote:
Unloaded, no lock required.
Old 02-08-2014, 9:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliburr View Post
If you do the upgrades the poster above says, then you might as well have just bought a different gun.
And even after investing $100 into quality laminate and $200 into a decent scope, you have a very nice gun for under $650. Where else do you get a gun qaulity stock and stock for that price?
Old 02-08-2014, 11:38 PM

Answer to ^^^^

Lets see....Weatherby Vanguard, Howa 1500's are definitely better. Get pricing from Gun Genie. Not sure why more people here don't use the wholesaler programs like Gun Genie to purchase their firearms, especially long guns. My favorite value gun is the Tikka T-3 lite and they are $599 at the Sportsman Warehouse (less using Gun Genie)....a far superior rifle IMO. Laminate stocks are not all that without quality pillar/glass bedding. I have done all these options, trigger jobs etc. Tikka out of the box is a great value. 1" moa at 100 yards. You can put lipstick on a pig if you want...LOL.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:48 AM

I don't agree. That Savage is a great rifle for what YOU intend to do with it. Shoot it. Clean it. Love it. If you hate it still after all that time, then buy yourself another rifle.

Ammunition Supply Point
Vacaville, CA
707-448-866*
Great Owners, nice selection of firearms!
OLL AR
Old 02-09-2014, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8200rpm View Post
3. Locked container is for handguns.
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel
One exception, if you are traveling within 1000 ft of a school, the rifle must be locked during transport.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

Congrats on the purchase, I really like my Savage Axis 223 and 308.
Old 02-09-2014, 9:46 AM
┬──┬ ¯\_(ツ)
CGN Contributor

nice
Anyone not voting Brown is putting other things above gun rights.
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
If you're not voting why are you even opining?
Brown has a track record of not bowing to Dem pressure on guns.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
Well if it makes you feel better, I also support the KKK, NeoNazis, WestBoro, Skins, and any other groups right to assemble
Old 02-09-2014, 9:57 AM
Veteran Member

Clean your rifle after every trip to the range. Technically, you don't have to clean it every time (it will still shoot for awhile), but a clean gun is more accurate and I believe that a well maintained gun will last longer. Regardless, it's your gun, not your shovel; treat it well and take good care of it. Technically, I don't have to take a shower every day either, but I do anyway.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
but a clean gun is more accurate and I believe that a well maintained gun will last longer.
Not necessarily true. Look up "fouling shots". Definitely clean the action and the rest of the gun, but not the barrel if you plan on taking it out hunting soon. I am not an expert, I have only been told this. Someone else can explain better.

"Friends don't let friends play bubba gunsmith."
SlickmisterN
Old 02-09-2014, 11:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Congrats.

You have a great entry level rifle that will do what you want frome it. The scope it comes with will be fine as long as you dont expect to do 1/4" groups quickly at 100yds.

If you do decide to change scope i know nikon has a great .223 scope. Savage sells it on the Trophy hunter XP package.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnitravis View Post
Not necessarily true. Look up "fouling shots". Definitely clean the action and the rest of the gun, but not the barrel if you plan on taking it out hunting soon. I am not an expert, I have only been told this. Someone else can explain better.
I didn't see where the OP said he was going to use this rifle for hunting. Even if he were, he might need to mop and maybe shoot the lubricant out of the bore first, but hunting with a filthy rifle isn't going to help him harvest any game.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:20 PM

The Savage Axis is a good rifle. Clean it, shoot it, repeat.....don't listen to the nay sayers on this forum. To many if you don't own a BMW or Mercedes then it's not quality....I say whatever, enjoy your purchase as is, or upgrade if you feel the need but fact is it's a quality gun and should fit your needs fine.
Old 02-12-2014, 3:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I appreciate everyone's feedback so far.
I should have clarified (and some astutely picked up on it) that I really wanted a bolt action entry-level rifle in .223 to start and felt this was a decent deal, especially since I had the gift cards. I figure if it's anything like I am with pistols it won't be my last rifle

So through my internet research while waiting my 10 days I have some other questions:

1. On the bolt itself, is light oil enough or should I use grease on the lugs and cam? Again, mostly range plinking (indoor and outdoor) and maybe small game hunting but I'm not avid enough to go out in sub-freezing temperatures. Lots of different opinions on this out in internet land.

2. For an approximate 100yd zero at a 25yd range using Wolf Gold 55gr am I right in that the POI should be about 1.25" low from POA?

Sorry for the noob questions, but hey what else would I do to occupy my time during the 10 day wait?
Old 02-12-2014, 4:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Clean your rifle after every trip to the range. Technically, you don't have to clean it every time (it will still shoot for awhile), but a clean gun is more accurate and I believe that a well maintained gun will last longer. Regardless, it's your gun, not your shovel; treat it well and take good care of it. Technically, I don't have to take a shower every day either, but I do anyway.
This is one of the old axioms that has been basically disproved (with caveats). Nearly every great barrel maker has remarked that there is usually more damage to a good barrel by over cleaning then under cleaning. Cleaning the bore is a damaging action by its very nature. Even in the case of long range shooters cleaning has gone down in importance.

Indeed a clean rifle is an accurate rifle, that's why benchrest guys clean between strings of fire, but they also rebarrel way more often than anyone else.

Quote:
1. On the bolt itself, is light oil enough or should I use grease on the lugs and cam? Again, mostly range plinking (indoor and outdoor) and maybe small game hunting but I'm not avid enough to go out in sub-freezing temperatures. Lots of different opinions on this out in internet land.
I put light grease on locking lugs and let them grease the cams. Oil on everything else.
Old 02-12-2014, 4:28 PM

im new to this as well. but from what i've researched and heard from others

cleaning, you need to clean it well the first time. after that cleaning the barrel too many times can cause some damage if not done properly. many i spoke suggested getting a bore guide and just use a rod with patches to clean the barrel. action and other parts, i would clean after each range or hunting use.

at the range you are going to be shooting 25yards to 100yards you can use 55gr. but what is the twist of the barrel? i beleive its a 1/9 twist which is perfect for a 55gr round up to i think 62gr is what the 1/9 can shoot.
Old 02-12-2014, 4:34 PM

Quote:
I appreciate everyone's feedback so far.
I should have clarified (and some astutely picked up on it) that I really wanted a bolt action entry-level rifle in .223 to start and felt this was a decent deal, especially since I had the gift cards. I figure if it's anything like I am with pistols it won't be my last rifle

So through my internet research while waiting my 10 days I have some other questions:

2. For an approximate 100yd zero at a 25yd range using Wolf Gold 55gr am I right in that the POI should be about 1.25" low from POA?

Sorry for the noob questions, but hey what else would I do to occupy my time during the 10 day wait?
Hey op,
I own the axis and without the trigger mod I was hitting two liter bottles at just over 250byards.
The scope is from the factory. I haven't touched the scope. Its a great rifle!.
The bolt is a little heavy though but you can cut the spring that is found in side the bolt by a little bit then stretch it out again so it is still the same length.
As cleaning goes. Its not semi auto so you hardly get any carbon in the chamber. Get a bore snake. And an old tooth brush. Your done.

Courage is endurance for one moment more…
- Unknown USMC Lieutenant
Old 02-12-2014, 6:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpx0123 View Post
up to i think 62gr is what the 1/9 can shoot.
You can run 70gr VLDs in a 1:9.

The issue with cleaning is that you never want to drag ANYTHING across the muzzle crown. Clean from the breach to the muzzle, never reverse the brush in the bore, never pull the brush or a patch back down the barrel. You run the patch or the brush out the end, unscrew it, gently pull the rod back through the bore, wipe the rod down and do it again.

Use wipeout.
Use a coated dewy rod.
Old 02-12-2014, 6:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Im selling the exact same rifle now in the for sale section -

Great choice and plenty accurate out of the box.

Mine seemed to prefer 62gr ammo.....
Old 02-18-2014, 7:21 AM
Calguns Addict

The axis is a solid rifle, I have one in .308. Ive upgraded the scope and done the DIY trigger upgrade. Id really recommend doing the trigger upgrade, it did wonders lightening up the pull and only cost $1 or so.