Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > L.A. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2014, 8:26 PM

Default Angeles shooting range has some of the worst range officers with bad attitude

Went to the angeles range today with a group of calgunners and had a great time except for dealing with some kid who was the RO . We were shooting steels, I had a pile of brass (next to me) that i swept up and made ready for me to pick up. I had also mentioned it to 3 different ROs that they do not need to sweep my area, I am keeping the brass. I turn around and see the RO scooped up my pile of brass (about 200 to 250). I tell him again that I am keeping the brass. He dumps about 50 cases out of his scooper and tells me ( with a nasty tone and attitude) that if you are keeping the brass you are supposed to pick it up!!!! Well I was trying to do that genious, I did not say that but sure felt like saying it.
Second time this happend to me at Angeles Range. Also, a couple of others mentioned that they remember several times having problems with the same RO or others. Later I found out that the ROs hustle the brass hard as they can because it is part of their pay/compensation plan!! this was when one of us aske the RO if he makes money off the brass and the guy got really nast then and mumbled "yes"
The whole pile of brass is hardly worth anything but getting ripped off and told that it was my fault ruined the afternoon for me. The others in the group were certaily not happy either.
Have you had your nice range experience ruined by one of the ROs at Angeles shooting range or does this only happen to me and my friends??
Old 02-06-2014, 8:31 PM

Ive had a brass issue with an RO at angeles. The old fat white guy with the teeth decay from chewing tobacco. Wouldnt let me take home my friends brass because it didnt come from my gun.

I laughed in his face and continued to pick it up.

I shoot at angeles 1-2 times a week since its 3 miles from me though, so this happened probably once in about 50-75 times i've been there. Usually the ROs see my police my brass and they leave it alone.

But I only shoot prone on the rifle line, and my brass ends up at my hip after it hits the concrete bench.
Old 02-06-2014, 8:45 PM

The bunch of ROs that we had the unpleasant encounter with all looked like they were 18 or younger. The nastiest was the taller one of all wearing dark shades on a dark day with pooring rain. Makes you wonder what was he smoking to need cover for the eyes?!
Old 02-06-2014, 9:00 PM

I have noticed they seem a lil more brass hungry lately. My buddy had a lil issue with them the other day. I heard one RO say "the brass helps pay for the range"
Old 02-06-2014, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastie050 View Post
I have noticed they seem a lil more brass hungry lately. My buddy had a lil issue with them the other day. I heard one RO say "the brass helps pay for the range"
I've had them tell me the brass pays for half-off thursdays.
Old 02-06-2014, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah that was me. I specifically told him I was keeping my brass, and that I would sweep it up when finished shooting. He nodded at me so I felt better that he knew...

As we walked out to change targets during the cease-fire, he swept up all my .308 brass and dumped it in the bucket.

Ruined my day, and I switched to my 10/22

Old 02-06-2014, 9:09 PM

This is why I don't let my brass sit around at angeles
Old 02-06-2014, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjdesertfox View Post
I've had them tell me the brass pays for half-off thursdays.
Quote:
They told me that the brass "helps pay for the wood and steel"...but the RO's do sell the brass on the side, which is why they are always after it.

I've personally had my fair share of brass problems at Angeles, the most ridiculous being the "you can't pick up another person's brass even if the other person said you could have it".

I was told that we, as customers, should tell the range officers that we are picking up our brass and they will leave it alone then. I'm going to try and make it a habit of doing that so there are no questions later.

For what it's worth, I feel that they go after the pistol brass a whole lot more aggressively than the rifle brass. Maybe because it ejects all over and it's hard to tell whose brass it is. Either way, the range is great and a lot of fun, and most of the RO's are great, but for the regulars -- we all know which ones are the ones who go after the brass.

The materials and information contained above in this post are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by any interaction with the author of such materials and information.
Old 02-06-2014, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeon2whls View Post
This is why I don't let my brass sit around at angeles
I'll never forget my brass catcher when going there!
Old 02-06-2014, 9:49 PM
Veteran Member

I only shoot bolt guns there for a reason, and if I just shoot semi autos I shoot prone between the benches so my brass accumulates in a nice little pile right next to me. I do deal with the shock though....
Old 02-06-2014, 11:04 PM

The brass is supposedly part of the compensation that the management has promissed to the ROs. That is why they feel entitled to it. I guess we should start informing the office ,upon check in, that we want our brass back and do not want to be hastled by any RO. If enough people do it, they will realize that they can not alianate the customer because they allow the ROs to be in recycling business. I can not even believethat such a crappy arrangement is sanctioned by the management allowing the ROs to harrass customers for part of their pay. Apparently, the brass does not pay for anything of the range and is just extra money for the ROs and that is why they are so very rude and aggresive about picking up your property off the ground right infront of you and being mouthy on top of that. If this was any place other than a gun range I would have read the RO his rights for being so rude on top of the petty thievery that he was most certainly guilty of. The spent brass is still shooter's property and they have no right taking it without asking.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:12 PM
You PC, Bro?
CGN Contributor

Good to know, I am gonna start buying reloading gear soon and will be saving my brass
Old 02-06-2014, 11:13 PM

not a goodplan for customer service, but good for keeping the floor clean
Old 02-07-2014, 12:02 AM
Captain of the Gun Boat
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidad01 View Post
Went to the angeles range today with a group of calgunners and had a great time except for dealing with some kid who was the RO . We were shooting steels, I had a pile of brass (next to me) that i swept up and made ready for me to pick up. I had also mentioned it to 3 different ROs that they do not need to sweep my area, I am keeping the brass. I turn around and see the RO scooped up my pile of brass (about 200 to 250). I tell him again that I am keeping the brass. He dumps about 50 cases out of his scooper and tells me ( with a nasty tone and attitude) that if you are keeping the brass you are supposed to pick it up!!!! Well I was trying to do that genious, I did not say that but sure felt like saying it.
Second time this happend to me at Angeles Range. Also, a couple of others mentioned that they remember several times having problems with the same RO or others. Later I found out that the ROs hustle the brass hard as they can because it is part of their pay/compensation plan!! this was when one of us aske the RO if he makes money off the brass and the guy got really nast then and mumbled "yes"
The whole pile of brass is hardly worth anything but getting ripped off and told that it was my fault ruined the afternoon for me. The others in the group were certaily not happy either.
Have you had your nice range experience ruined by one of the ROs at Angeles shooting range or does this only happen to me and my friends??
lol, I think I know who you're talking about. He's in his early 20's, shaved head, always wears those Oakley M frame shades with Fire Iridium lenses? ya, he has an attitude sometimes. but generally speaking, as long as you keep your area and bench clean and clear, the RO's don't bother you. remember, it's safety too. just like in the construction site, keep a clean work area to avoid accidents

*Disclaimer: I'm no lawyer. So don't take my advice as counsel.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." -Ronald Reagan
Old 02-07-2014, 12:29 AM

I hate how they increased the price too, what's up with that and no more half off Thursdays, crazy.
Old 02-07-2014, 1:31 AM

I haven't been there in a few months. How much is the increase? There website still says half off everyone on thrusday
Old 02-07-2014, 2:18 AM

I was there Wednesday, price is now $15 on weekdays and $18 weekends then $7.50 on Wednesdays after 4:30PM. The new price was effective on February 1st.
Old 02-07-2014, 8:22 AM
Calgoon
CGN Contributor

It is still half off on Thursdays.

@ King. it is the oakley's bald dude.

We concluded that its not really about the brass whoring but his attitude towards customers.
Old 02-07-2014, 8:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Only thing I can say is that there is no excuse for bad behavior, but the ROs there also deal with some of the most arrogant, unsafe A-holes I've ever seen, and they probably do so on a daily basis.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 02-07-2014, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip View Post
Only thing I can say is that there is no excuse for bad behavior, but the ROs there also deal with some of the most arrogant, unsafe A-holes I've ever seen, and they probably do so on a daily basis.
for sure. Just the other day, we are standing there on a cease fire and my buddy says, wow we made it one cease fire without anyone crossing the yellow line and getting yelled at.. Then some moron does it
Old 02-07-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip View Post
This one particular RO has it out for the brass -- and he's got a couple of buddies who all have serious attitude problems, like they own the place and you're just there as a courtesy or something. I've seen him stand behind people and scoop up their brass as soon as it's barely hit the floor--you know, after that person has said that he wants to pick up his brass.

The materials and information contained above in this post are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by any interaction with the author of such materials and information.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:57 AM

There does not seem to be an adult manager on the range most of the time. It is always a bunch of kids (with a few exceptions) running around as ROs steeling your brass while they watch the range. I (and most decently raised folks) were taught to ask before reaching to touch, or taking some one's property. In all the ranges I have been to in the last 30 years, the staff ask you if you are keeping your brass before the sweep it away. These guys lack common courtesy and feel totally entitled to your brass, like it or not.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:30 PM

I go there all the time on mostly Fridays.Never had any problems with the new kid RSo's.Just pick your brass up when you reload mags.But then I only reload .308 and 3006.
Old 02-07-2014, 1:53 PM
Calgoon
CGN Contributor

I also believe that is the same RO that threw some old man's target and yelled at him for taking too long @ 200 yds.

This mid 20s RSO has been here for a while. Kinda acts like the big kid RSO.
idk just ignore him, be acquainted with other RO's or supervisors and he won't bother you.
Old 02-07-2014, 3:12 PM

I really hate going to Angeles sometimes because of their brass thievery. I generally make it a habit to shoot bolt actions there because I can police my brass much easier than I can with a semi-auto. That, and it's just way too crowded during the weekends makes me miss Santa Barbara when I was going to school there, and Winchester Canyon Gun Club.
Old 02-07-2014, 3:30 PM
Veteran Member

Depending on the day and the crowd. Weekend days are horrible and if I end up going one of those days (usually teaching newbs) I make sure to pick up every mag or two at most.

Weekdays aren't as bad, plus most of them know my by now and are super cool. Some of them even sweep my brass back up towards me when it's slow and they sit and watch me shoot.

They also became 10x nicer when I let them shoot my guns (the fun 3gun rifle, ar pistols and 10mm's do the trick)
Old 02-07-2014, 3:32 PM

i stop going there about 4 year ago ,now i go to the oak tree . or place to shoot on frasncisco canyon , or indoor range in van nuys better service with out the attitude.
Old 02-07-2014, 3:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
for sure. Just the other day, we are standing there on a cease fire and my buddy says, wow we made it one cease fire without anyone crossing the yellow line and getting yelled at.. Then some moron does it
It's pretty funny when you get there at opening time, and at the first line break of the day when someone walks over the line you can hear the RO's say "that didn't take long"
Old 02-07-2014, 4:26 PM
Captain of the Gun Boat
CGN Contributor

@ pmrsino - yup, same up-tight guy with an attitude. an old man walked past 200 yrds to setup at 300 yrds, not knowing that wasn't allowed. this pompous brat yells over the speakers, hops in the ATV, Mario Karts up to him, yells at him, takes his target, throws it out at the 200 yrd line, and dusts back to the line not even giving grandpa a ride.

I agree with Full Clip. I've seen pothead gangstas act like fools at the silhouette targets. And there are those innocents with ZERO muzzle discipline. Being so close to LA, and equally worse The Valley, I'm sure the RO's deal with headcases everyday.

@ TheExiled - yup, that's the usual atmosphere I get when I'm there. F*ck, one time, since I let them shoot, one of them even brought out his new shotgun for me to try on the black bench. It's always funny when someone gets yelled at for crossing the yellow line, handling stuff on the bunch, and my fav, "cease fire means cease fire". I keep forgetting the RO's names, Joseph, Mike, Caesar... I know Marissa is the chatty cool girl at the register.

I don't know why, but the Oakley guy always leaves me and my brass alone. I clean up after every 20-30 rounds or so and leave my guns cleared. Maybe it's because I share my cigs with the other RO's and strike up convo with them. Maybe it's because I buzz cut my hair. Maybe if everyone was bald like that Oakley guy, he would be nicer. Maybe he just needs to get his d*ck wet. I don't know.. LOL

*Disclaimer: I'm no lawyer. So don't take my advice as counsel.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." -Ronald Reagan

Last edited by KingChiron; 02-07-2014 at 9:34 PM.. Reason: There were new posts posted before I posted my post regarding other posts.
Old 02-07-2014, 4:32 PM
Veteran Member

Hmm didnt realize admission went up. Haven't had the chance to go since before the holidays. Still not too bad with the coupon

The brass vulturing would be irritating of you told them you were collecting your own. I never really noticed that happening but Im only there weekdays, much more relaxed scene

Never had a problem with any RO there. But I dont do stupid stuff, and since i always have a Mosin or SKS i make sure to flag them over right off the bat to check my ammo. They leave me alone after that. I dont much care for them poking into my stuff when im downrange.

As for brass, They aint getting one case from me as i always have one of my homemade brass catching contraptions along. Made just for this purpose because of how hard it is to control handgun brass
Old 02-08-2014, 12:21 AM

Between brass nazis at Angeles and the super tiny and crowded oar tree rifle range (along with their customer service sucking since I worked there in 01') I don't shoot much anymore.

Then ammo availability and price is still ridiculous and if it's steel cased or magnetic you can't use it which kills those of us on a very tight fixed income. I'm just done with it.

You know for all of us SUPPOSEDLY being on the same side in the fight to retain the ability to shoot in this awful state you would think they would be more flexible and welcoming. Screw both ranges, I just about give up
Old 02-08-2014, 12:57 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Come to LAX Range this coming Wed night. We'll try to show you a fun ol' shootin time.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGunny View Post
Between brass nazis at Angeles and the super tiny and crowded oar tree rifle range (along with their customer service sucking since I worked there in 01') I don't shoot much anymore.

Then ammo availability and price is still ridiculous and if it's steel cased or magnetic you can't use it which kills those of us on a very tight fixed income. I'm just done with it.

You know for all of us SUPPOSEDLY being on the same side in the fight to retain the ability to shoot in this awful state you would think they would be more flexible and welcoming. Screw both ranges, I just about give up
I agree about the rifle range at Oak Tree, too small for the crowd that they get. But never had a bad experience with the RSO at their rifle range
Old 02-08-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Oaktree has some of the better customer service of any range in SoCal by my experience. A lot of things can change in 12 years...

Old 02-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Banned

I'm the Oakley guy.
I don't appreciate you guys making fun of me.
I'll take your brass if I want.
Anyone that wants to challenge me will be tossed permanently.
It's my world you just live in it. You're welcome.

Just kidding. But I have oakleys
Old 02-09-2014, 6:49 AM
Corn-fed and Iowa-bred
CGN Contributor

The brass collection issue isn't much different from a lot of ranges. All of the ranges I frequent (Angeles, Burro, On Target, etc.) get bent out of shape if you are collecting brass that isn't yours. I think the only difference is that at Angeles the employees get to keep the brass, whereas the other facilities the brass is collected for the owner. At any of these places (including Angeles) I simply inform the RO that I am collecting my own and I make sure to have all of my brass picked up after a few magazines and definitely before the line break. Only time I am ever picking up brass during the line break are the ones that get ejected forward. I found that laying a sheet in front of the bench makes this a breeze. Never an issue.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 02-09-2014, 6:53 AM

just to share some information with everyone. the reloading store used to take the brass. they would clean and sort it and pass it along to reloaders at a very low price. a while back the range guys got the idea of cutting him out. they now take the brass and sell it to a scapper and share the money among themselves. the range doesnt get a cut. i have had so many issues with them taking my brass. i only go up there to stop at the reloading store. i wont give the range any of my business.
Old 02-09-2014, 8:14 AM

Quote:
if it's steel cased or magnetic you can't use it
Small correction. Steel cased is OK. Steel core (bullets that are pulled by a magnet) are not.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:02 AM

At Oak Tree shooting range, every time I have told the staff that I will be keeping the brass, they just sweeps it into a pile right next to me and I have seen them doing it for anyone who wants to keep their brass. It is very nice of them, and it let's you pay more attention to your practice rather than having to keep one eye on your back trying to not get ripped off.
Bottom line, I am sure the owners/managers ARE NOT aware of what the juvenile punks are doing out there. In any business, the employees are given some freedom in how they get their work done. But if the staff start shooing away business and customers, they no longer are a value added and become a liability.
Has anyone ever complained to the office and is there ever an owner or managers on site?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:26 AM

i agree. oaktree is much friendlier to reloaders. they leave my brass alone. i had a ro at angeles tell me that if i was going to be saving my brass i would need to color them with a sharpie for them to leave it alone? no! how about you spend more time checking the line than worrying about gathering my brass