Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:19 PM

I'd put an order in for a Schmidt & Bender Fixed Power 6x42 Hunting scope. I find it truly add's value to the rifle. Any UTG mount will work.
Old 02-19-2014, 2:19 PM

Today's first grouping after figuring out the hold-over. Not bad for irons and some pretty strong winds comrades!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:51 PM

My Big 5 Mosin is extremely accurate. I will not do anything to mine.
For you, I suggest getting on the internet to order a couple cans of ammo from Aim Surplus. You will not regret it. Get the wood crate of two cans.
Also, whatever you do; don't by an aftermarket stock, or a scout mount scope. They just don't work right. People do not need that garbage. It's only cosmetic.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:26 AM
Calguns Addict

http://www.jgsales.com/7.62x54r-comm...n.-p-4431.html
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 02-21-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3006Garand View Post
My Big 5 Mosin is extremely accurate. I will not do anything to mine.
For you, I suggest getting on the internet to order a couple cans of ammo from Aim Surplus. You will not regret it. Get the wood crate of two cans.
Also, whatever you do; don't by an aftermarket stock, or a scout mount scope. They just don't work right. People do not need that garbage. It's only cosmetic.
Really? If I take it out and can improve on the accuracy a bit more I was considering turning it into a cheapo deer hunting rifle. I'm sure I could do better than what was posted as those were shots 15-20 I've ever taken on it and in less than ideal conditions.

The grip angle is pretty bad on the original stock, so the stock would likely be the first thing I replace.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
Thanks for the link, what can I expect out of the surplus stuff? I used Winchester white box for my first day out. Figured I would eliminate the variable of questionable ammo for the first try.
Old 02-21-2014, 3:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Surplus ammo, according to my daughters boyfriend (he now owns 2), has indicated the ammo can be the corrosive type so you should clean the barrel and action after every outing with the rifle.
We initially started with some bagged/boxed surplus (PPU) and at 100 yards, he was hitting the gong every shot on bench, and 80% off hand. Depending upon the cartridge, we noticed after about 50 rounds one round punched right through, and another nearly went all the way through (big dome behind the gong).

I just bough us 880 rounds in the crate... should last us a couple of years!
Beretta 92FS | SA 1911 Loaded | S&W M&P15-22 | TC .44 Bull Barrel | Colt LE6920CMP-B | S&W 627-5 PC | S&W M&P 9 | Mossberg 500 | Rem 700 VSF | Benelli Montefeltro 12GA | CZ455 Varmint HB | Ruger 10/22 50th Anniv. | SigSauer P220 Combat

Last edited by HermanH; 02-21-2014 at 3:20 PM..
Old 02-22-2014, 8:21 PM

Palmetto state armory often has surplus and sometimes you can hit there free shipping promo, which makes for some of the cheapest 7.62x54r on the webs.

Check out the big 3:
7.62x54r.net
russian-mosin-nagant.com
Mosinnagant.net

For endless details.

Welcome to the club. Beware, these rifles have a way of multiplying. The big5 91/30 is the gateway Mosin. Next you'll want the M44, then the M38, you won't be able to pass up that 91/58 you see at the gun show, then of course the Finns.

Just kidding (kinda). Congrats on your new rifle! I hope you love it as much as we do. I have as much fun with these greasy old dogs as I do with any of my guns.

-Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-23-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
For my money, my Mosin is one of the most accurate milsurps with iron sights at my range. Of course... it is an M39...
Dont get him started on asking what is a Finn Mosin.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjay View Post
Palmetto state armory often has surplus and sometimes you can hit there free shipping promo, which makes for some of the cheapest 7.62x54r on the webs.

Check out the big 3:
7.62x54r.net
russian-mosin-nagant.com
Mosinnagant.net

For endless details.

Welcome to the club. Beware, these rifles have a way of multiplying. The big5 91/30 is the gateway Mosin. Next you'll want the M44, then the M38, you won't be able to pass up that 91/58 you see at the gun show, then of course the Finns.

Just kidding (kinda). Congrats on your new rifle! I hope you love it as much as we do. I have as much fun with these greasy old dogs as I do with any of my guns.
Thanks, it was a lot of fun. Just waiting on my surplus ammo to come in so I can take some friends out to shoot her. I'm guessing part of the addiction is how each time you get a new one you get faster at prepping them for the range, and better at identifying good ones. Then of course you are going to have ones you want to make sporters, and those you want to keep original.

It had been a while since I walked up to a target and was so pleased with my shooting. Looking forward to practicing some more and improving. My yellow shooting glasses were a big help with the black irons (started the day with my shades on).
Old 02-23-2014, 2:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermintman View Post
Dont get him started on asking what is a Finn Mosin.

"What's a Finn Mosin?" you ask!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2014, 7:55 AM

Palmetto state armory has free shipping through today and Bulgarian surplus in stock.

-Abraham Lincoln