Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-30-2014, 5:58 PM

Default 12 gauge slug casting

Anyone do it, are they accurate and is it worth it?
Old 01-30-2014, 6:36 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=877023

Last edited by emptybottle151; 01-30-2014 at 6:40 PM..
Old 01-30-2014, 8:06 PM

I was frankly, shocked, at how well the 1oz lee slugs shot. Out of a 18" cyl bore, I was getting 8" groups at a 100 yds. Went home and immediately cast a few hundred more.

I loaded them light with ~19 gr Unique for 1060 fps. Next batch is with WST at 21 gr for ~1200 fps.
Old 01-31-2014, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER308 View Post
I was frankly, shocked, at how well the 1oz lee slugs shot. Out of a 18" cyl bore, I was getting 8" groups at a 100 yds. Went home and immediately cast a few hundred more.

I loaded them light with ~19 gr Unique for 1060 fps. Next batch is with WST at 21 gr for ~1200 fps.
i have had similar results using HS6, am never buying factory slugs again.
i have also tried the 7/8 oz with buckshot on top (or below, i cannot recall) for some interesting buck and "ball" loads.

Eat the rich the poor taste like despair.

FLORIDA It's not the heat it's the stupidity.

BLACK RIFLES MATTER
Old 01-31-2014, 6:56 PM

Thanks guys, I should be getting a mec shotshell press here in a couple weeks and I am looking forward to moving into casting my own stuff. Any advice about shotshell loading?
Old 01-31-2014, 7:33 PM

I found out how much fun shooting slugs & 00 buck can be once my Lee slug and buck shot molds came. Have been using 19 grains of Red Dot and can shoot them all day without hurting my old body. Figuring it cost about .25 cents a round and thats about .75 less than store bought. Great fun you will enjoy your shot gun more.
Old 01-31-2014, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostner View Post
I found out how much fun shooting slugs & 00 buck can be once my Lee slug and buck shot molds came. Have been using 19 grains of Red Dot and can shoot them all day without hurting my old body. Figuring it cost about .25 cents a round and thats about .75 less than store bought. Great fun you will enjoy your shot gun more.

I enjoy slugs quite a bit, problem is the $1 a shot is quite prohibitive. Im looking forward to getting more shotgun time at a fraction of the cost.
Old 02-02-2014, 1:07 PM

Yeah I have noticed my hand loads to be softer shooting but more accurate than factory.

Eat the rich the poor taste like despair.

FLORIDA It's not the heat it's the stupidity.

BLACK RIFLES MATTER
Old 02-02-2014, 10:18 PM

The video made it look so easy to cast your own slugs. Man...now I want a new pet project. I don't even shoot my 870, like ever.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:39 PM

Default Slugs

Jump in with both feet. I use the same powder weight and wad that I use for my 1oz trap loads. Also cast for 00'buck. I like the 000 buck better. You can get into shotgun loading on the cheap with the $40 lee setup. I use a Mec 9000 and it's well worth it. I pick up all the hulls you could ever want at Chabot. I use About anything made by Remington.
Old 02-03-2014, 8:56 PM

how toxic is the smelting process? very interested but just concerned about the safety of it. i have very limited space and dont want to contaminate my living area.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoitsbruce View Post
how toxic is the smelting process? very interested but just concerned about the safety of it. i have very limited space and dont want to contaminate my living area.
It's pretty safe. Use common sense. Most people smelt & cast outdoors. And don't try to melt down car batteries.

One thing you might do is get your blood checked for lead right away. That will give you a "normal" baseline. I got tested & was higher than most but we didn't know what it was before so we didn't really know how much was actually from indoor shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:33 PM

ok sounds good. the thing is i have very little back yard space and dont want to contaminate the backyard. neighbors have fruit trees dont want to put any thing their way. but i will consider it, i want to make the birdshot bulk pack all into slugs. but i will use all the precautions like a mask and all that i guess it will be more research, thanks again
Old 02-06-2014, 1:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Also, keep in mind two things:

anti point of view: There is NO acceptable level of lead in your blood.
CA point of view: The nation says 10 mg/dl is the threshold for action, so we'll make it 5 mg/dl.
Reality: If your house was built in the 40's and you knocked down a couple walls, might be time for a level check. You might be surprised.

fyi, my level is 6. Kaiser called and asked some nosy questions before I put a stop to that.

Casting is safe. You won't smoke, you'll wash your hands, you won't touch your face, mouth, or mucus membranes with dirty hands. And you'll be fine. Any safety precaution you would use with an open cup full of acetone, that's what you need to handle molten lead.

Your backyard is a fine place to cast. The garage might be more comfortable, but the back yard is fine.

I clean lead outdoors, and cast from clean lead in the garage with the door open. The interesting days are when I get petition seekers from the university asking me to sign whatever about whatever corn/gmo/gas/energy subsidy they want cut. And oh by the way, what are you doing?

"...do you really want to know?"
Old 02-06-2014, 2:03 PM
Veteran Member

Be sure to never let the lead rust! Lead oxide is EXTREMELY toxic to all life! Store your lead in a clean, dry place

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk