Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:31 AM

Default rebarrel mini 14

Has anyone sent their mini 14 off to Ruger to be rebarreled? I was told by Ruger that they use the newer barrel (thicker) on rebarrel jobs but they will not install the 16.25" NRA-series barrels. BTW- yes I checked perfect union...
Old 02-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Calguns Addict

I paid too much for mine to be chopped and threaded to pay more for a new NRA barrel, when ruger will NEVER send me back my original barrel, although I paid for both. F Ruger.

I suggest wait a few months for the people who bought the new Minis with the NRA barrel to start modding theirs, and then call ASI and see if they have some extra laying around you could buy that they've pulled out recently.

who knows they might shoot like sh*t anyway.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPER395 View Post
I paid too much for mine to be chopped and threaded to pay more for a new NRA barrel, when ruger will NEVER send me back my original barrel, although I paid for both. F Ruger.

I suggest wait a few months for the people who bought the new Minis with the NRA barrel to start modding theirs, and then call ASI and see if they have some extra laying around you could buy that they've pulled out recently.

Aside from the Ruger adverts, is there any first hand info that the new barrrels are indeed more accurate?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPER395 View Post

thanks for the tip- I didn't think about that.
Old 02-27-2008, 4:10 AM

ASI is an excellent option. Just send your mini to them to get rebarreled. You won't be sorry!
Old 02-27-2008, 8:32 AM

I'm planning on finally taking my GunDoc customized Mini out this weekend after getting it back last Sept. I got the $375 Package #3: the original barrel was shortened to 16", installed a Smith brake in lieu of bedding, Duracoat, trigger job, etc. That's probably pretty close to what most smiths would charge for a barrel swap if you include a new barrel so this may be a better option if you want something shorter/ different than the factory Mini.

http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/

Last edited by vf111; 02-27-2008 at 11:01 AM..
Old 02-27-2008, 9:20 AM
NRA Training Counselor
CGN Contributor

+1 to the ASI conversion. If you have the money they will turn your mini from a barn door stormer into a tack driver. Worked wonders with my mini 30 in 6.5 grendel

NRA Certified Instructor
Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety,Muzzleloading, Personal Protection Series, Chief Range Safety Officer, Refuse to be a victim Regional counselor

Smog Inspections in the Sacramento area.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vf111 View Post
I'm planning on finally taking my GunDoc customized Mini out this weekend after getting it back last Sept. I got the $375 Package #3: the original barrel was shortened to 16", installed a Smith brake in lieu of bedding, Duracoat, trigger job, etc. Including a new barrel, that's probably pretty close to what most smiths would charge for a barrel swap so this may be a better option if you want something shorter/ different than the factory Mini.

http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/
Sounds nice! Give us a range report if you make it out to the range.