Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-05-2016, 7:33 PM

Default Hold or Dial, and Other Questions

This is a two-part question. To start it off, I recently picked up a 1-6x tactical/3-gun SFP scope with a mil reticle (1.0 mil increments, and 0.2 mil adjustments). I zeroed it at 50 yards with both my plinking ammo (55gr) and match ammo (77gr). Surprisingly, they both have the same POI at fifty yards, but at 100 yards the 77gr is about 1.75" high and the 55gr is about 2.5" high - nothing unexpected. I intend on using the match ammo for longer range (>200 yards) on smaller targets, and the 55gr for small targets at shorter ranges and larger targets (ex: silhouettes) out to 400 or so. So, on to my questions:

1. I plan on re-zeroing at 200 yards with the 77gr, setting the dials to 0.0/0.0 and then re-zeroing with the 55gr and simply noting where the dials land (ex: 1.3/0.2). Is this a bad idea, provided that I also keep track of the dope for each round separately?

2. Is it better to hold or to dial? I figure that dialing is going to be more precise, but holding is going to be faster.

3. Assuming that holding is better than dialing once the dope is known, when working out my dope, is it better to dial?

4. Is a 200 yard zero a good idea with this sort of scope? I'm thinking it's beneficial because it will require smaller dials/holds than a 100 yard zero.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2016, 7:50 PM

1. Sounds like a good plan to me.

2. Are you talking about dialing just for the 55gr vs 77gr, or are you talking about dialing in general with that scope? I wouldn't bother dialing a 1-6 SFP scope for 3-gun. Faster and easier to hold. Are your turrets capped or do you have target turrets?

3. I would gather your dope like you intend to shoot. But dialing is probably more precise than holding, as long as you verify your scope's turrets track properly first.

4. I'm guessing this is on an AR15? 200 yard zero should be just fine. It's all personal preference. 200 yard zero will shoot a little flatter vs 100.
Old 02-05-2016, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourT6and2
2. Are you talking about dialing just for the 55gr vs 77gr, or are you talking about dialing in general with that scope? I wouldn't bother dialing a 1-6 SFP scope for 3-gun. Faster and easier to hold. Are your turrets capped or do you have target turrets?
Turrets are capped. I was referring to both, actually. I would have a dope chart for each variety of ammo. I would definitely dial in the proper zero if using the 55gr instead of the 77gr. I do see your point, though. Holding makes a lot more sense, given that I have capped turrets.

Quote:
3. I would gather your dope like you intend to shoot. But dialing is probably more precise than holding, as long as you verify your scope's turrets track properly first.
Good point. I'll have to test the tracking out at the range.

Quote:
4. I'm guessing this is on an AR15? 200 yard zero should be just fine. It's all personal preference. 200 yard zero will shoot a little flatter vs 100.
Correct, it's an AR.
Old 02-05-2016, 9:16 PM

If the turrets are capped, I wouldn't bother dialing for normal use. Scopes like this, and turrets like this, aren't really meant to dial in the field. My Kahles 1-6 is a great optic. But the turrets are crap. I wouldn't want to mess with them like they were target turrets on a long-range scope. If you switch ammo, then yeah... I would dial in your new zero for that ammo.
Old 02-05-2016, 9:27 PM

For the scope have and style of shooting your planning, hold over will be better.

If you do want to dial, you want your zero to be 100 yards (maybe 50 for your gun). That way your always dialing up from zero. If your zero is 200, you now have to dial down and up. If you forget to reset the scope to zero, and now you don't know which way you need to go to get back zero.
Old 02-06-2016, 4:07 AM

With the scope you have, intended use, the distances you'll be shooting at zero for 200 and know your holds for any additional hash marks
Old 02-08-2016, 8:24 PM

Thanks! Just gotta find some time to hit one of the local 200-yard ranges (with the worst possible hours...) and lock in the zeroes.