Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-29-2014, 1:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by milotrain View Post
Where in stock?
Also found this currently in stock.
$84/1k but a 6k minimum for that price so $500 for 6k

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/b...-_-Custom+Link
Old 01-29-2014, 1:46 AM

Yes its worth it. However if you are smart and careful id skip the lee and get a Dillon 550 or 650. Time is money.
Old 01-29-2014, 1:52 AM

I think all gun enthusiasts, especially ones who make this a large part of their lives, should definitely reload.
Shooting but not reloading, is like eating, but not knowing how to cook.
Old 01-29-2014, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldraque View Post
Yes its worth it. However if you are smart and careful id skip the lee and get a Dillon 550 or 650. Time is money.
That would be irrelevant to his situation. There's gotta be one in every thread.
Old 01-29-2014, 5:27 AM
Calguns Addict

It is good for Global-Climate-Change-Warming... (well Cooling, the last 10 years)

If you want to save money you have to buy components in bulk.

If you want to never run out of ammo, buy a press. It's still hard to buy a bunch of ammo at one store without getting raped, and you will pay like 2x as much for 9mm and .223/5.56.

In the last year I have not run low on ammo, just powder, but I didn't have to shoot much factory ammo (just stuff that I wanted to test for function), so the rest of it is still stocked and sealed.
Old 01-29-2014, 8:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post
That would be irrelevant to his situation. There's gotta be one in every thread.
Do really expect anything less from the blue crowd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 01-29-2014, 8:41 AM
Calguns Addict

As an unbiased person who bought a dillon, all the dillon hate is making me feel kind of defensive for dillon.

I think you guys feed off each other.
Old 01-29-2014, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnWired View Post
I think all gun enthusiasts, especially ones who make this a large part of their lives, should definitely reload.
Shooting but not reloading, is like eating, but not knowing how to cook.
Love that last sentence. I'm going to use that
Old 01-29-2014, 9:15 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm a Mugwamp still on the fence. I do have around 1~2k of .223/5.56 used brass I've saved last year. I keep going over the costs and I'm not finding the big savings I expected. Quality bullets are too much $. The time and labor required is too much, I'm short just finding enough shooting time, none left over for an extra time-consuming hobby like re-loading. All that brass conditioning, brass cleaning, etc, that's a lot of work to save a few pennies.

When I can buy Tula for 23 cents a round it makes it even harder to commit.
I might just sell my brass and re-coup more of my initial costs, that drives down the costs for new/reloaded brass .223 to well under 38 cents each.

Anyone want to buy my used brass?
Old 01-29-2014, 9:27 AM
Veteran Member

If you are happy shooting Tula then reloading is likely not for you.
Old 01-29-2014, 9:45 AM

Yes its worth it. IF, you start off slowly, get a single stage press, it does not have to be brand new. Used is good, i bought a used press yrs ago. Eventually sold that one to my brother, then, bought another used, but,a upgraded press. Eventually getting a Dillon 550B.learn the basics, get the hang of it, Build your reloading supplies, don't count your reloading time as being worth $ dollars, do it for the enjoyment of reloading, and making your own ammunition. It takes time to build up a supply of brass/bullets, powder, primers, etc. But, in the end, to me, its well worth it.
Old 01-29-2014, 9:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenguy View Post
As an unbiased person who bought a dillon, all the dillon hate is making me feel kind of defensive for dillon.

You're confused. It's not the product we hate, it's the fans.

Same goes with the "just buy a giraud trimmer" folks.

Quote:
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!

Last edited by Bumslie; 01-29-2014 at 10:12 AM..
Old 01-29-2014, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You're confused. It's not the product we hate, it's the three fans.
Fixed it for you. 90% of dillon owners are not those people, and 90% of people who aren't dillon owners don't care about the
Old 01-29-2014, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milotrain View Post
Fixed it for you. 90% of dillon owners are not those people, and 90% of people who aren't dillon owners don't care about the
Oh come on now. There is more than three, blue chest pumpers on here.

And I agree that the majority (not 90%, let's not make up our own statistics) don't care, but your minority sure make a lot more noise than the majority.

Quote:
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
your minority sure make a lot more noise than the majority.
And so it is with everything.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:57 AM
Banned

Take into account what you shoot most, too.

5.56 might make less sense to get into reloading than 308.
40 might make less sense to get into reloading than 357 mag.

From experience of owning and shooting all four of those calibers, I've come to completely rely on my 308 and 357 loads. I only got the dies and shell plate for 5.56 because I've somehow accumulated a ton of good brass, but that's such a common and piddly round that wasting powder on it when it could be better spent on 308 (in my case) doesn't really get me too excited. 40, I'll never even bother with.

Overall, does it make sense? Absolutely! The reloading/cooking analogy posted early pretty much sums the entire thing up in my opinion.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

This thread is supposed to be about getting into reloading, not red vs blue.

Let get back to getting into reloading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
I'm a Mugwamp still on the fence. I do have around 1~2k of .223/5.56 used brass I've saved last year. I keep going over the costs and I'm not finding the big savings I expected. Quality bullets are too much $. The time and labor required is too much, I'm short just finding enough shooting time, none left over for an extra time-consuming hobby like re-loading. All that brass conditioning, brass cleaning, etc, that's a lot of work to save a few pennies.

When I can buy Tula for 23 cents a round it makes it even harder to commit.
I might just sell my brass and re-coup more of my initial costs, that drives down the costs for new/reloaded brass .223 to well under 38 cents each.
When I can make 9mm for 13 cents each (~$7 box) and 223 for 22 cents each (~$3 box), yeah reloading is worth it.

If I shot 1000 rounds a year of 9mm and 223 at average prices ($14 a box for 9mm and $8 box for 223) that would cost me $280 + $400 = $680.

Now I cut that in half for 9mm. $140 and $222 = $362. That's over $300 saved in the first year alone, and would easily pay for a rockchucker kit.

Quote:
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 01-31-2014, 9:40 AM
Calguns Addict

The cheapest quality reload 9mm I can find are $.25 each. I'm mostly considering .223 as I shoot much more of that than 9mm. Maybe a cheapo single press kit like Lee to try it out? Got any recommendations? A Rock Chucker $300 kit is equal to another 1k rounds to me so I might want to start out cheaper.

I would like to load some 77 grain stuff as a buck a round is too high for new.
Old 01-31-2014, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
The cheapest quality reload 9mm I can find are $.25 each. I'm mostly considering .223 as I shoot much more of that than 9mm. Maybe a cheapo single press kit like Lee to try it out? Got any recommendations? A Rock Chucker $300 kit is equal to another 1k rounds to me so I might want to start out cheaper.

I would like to load some 77 grain stuff as a buck a round is too high for new.
http://www.titanreloading.com/kits/l...nniversary-kit

$100

You'll need a trimmer. You can buy a cheap lee one for a few dollars. I only reccomend you get a different scale. That one is junk

You'll also need a tumbler and some cheap $15 harbor freight calipers.

Quote:
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:35 AM

i just started and think it is fun and it saves money too. only issue is that it will allow you to shoot way more so you still throwing money at the hobby.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:25 AM
(╯o)╯︵ ┻━┻
CGN Contributor

supply isn't bad, it's worth getting into since I can find powder, primers, bullets and cases to reload but not any blasting ammo.
Old 01-31-2014, 2:24 PM

Bullets: not hard at all to find anymore
Primers: not hard, just do not be picky.
Powder: http://ammoseek.com/ keep one eye on it. When someone gets some of the powder you are looking for in... buy it. I thought I would have to stalk that site all day, but after only a few hours midsouthshooterssupply.com got some varget in. 30 mins later they were out.

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
-Gandhi
Old 01-31-2014, 4:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Supplies for those calibers are pretty easy to find. Go for it. Buy powder in semi-bulk, and only pay one hazmat fee. Don't get stuck on "I have to use bullseye/blue dot/whatever"...if you're just starting out, buy a pound each of a few different types of powder, and start learning how to do it. By the time you use up a couple of pounds of powder loading 9mm and 40, we'll be swimming in powder again!
Exactly. I was stuck on the hp 38, 231, varget, h335 thing and I'm glad there were those shortages in a way, it helped me discover other powders and improved my Google fu....

I like the beretta and Cz platforms....so sue me.
A word of advice to all reloaders new and old. The fun of reloading is figuring out your pet load. It's not about just making boolits.....
Old 01-31-2014, 6:24 PM

Yes its worth reloading. Started about a year an a half ago. Start now because when there is another big shooting you will have ammo and stores wont.

Not to highjack ops thread. I guess im lucky. I buy all of my reloading supplys from a local fishing store here in fresno. There prices are just as cheap as online retailers except the powder, its about $5 more per pound then online. Seems like everyone has to order online. It just seems like a pain in the butt.
Old 01-31-2014, 6:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post

btw, anyone know where I can get a red oil bottle funnel?
Old 02-01-2014, 1:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxumwake619 View Post
i just started and think it is fun and it saves money too. only issue is that it will allow you to shoot way more so you still throwing money at the hobby.
Yes - but, when each pull of the trigger costs less, you ARE still saving money.

I remember watching a Hickok45 video about reloading, where he repeatedly mentioned "it doesn't save you money, because you shoot more."

Well - yeah; your net outflow of money on your shooting/reloading hobby may stay roughly the same, but if you're able to shoot twice or three times the number of rounds as a result, that's saving money, is it not? It's like saying, "hey, if you're a member of this golf club, your green fees are cut in half, but you won't be saving money because you'll just play more often." Or, "if you distill your own gasoline, you pay less per gallon than if you bought it at the pump, but you won't really save money because you'll just drive your car more miles."

Do it - get into reloading. I'm just starting down the path myself, and while I am looking at the savings as a concrete benefit, another major consideration for me will be the simple satisfaction of creating stuff. I like working with my hands, and like building things. On days when I don't have the time or inclination to get to the range, I can spend an hour or two in the garage and crank out a number of rounds. Sure beats watching TV.
Old 02-01-2014, 1:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldraque View Post
True but money is money as well and it sounds like the OP has saved enough for the Lee setup, which IMHO is an excellent start.
I have 2 650's in my shed and 1 Lee turret press.
I began reloading on that Lee and it is useful today. if the OP really gets the bug then by all means he should go Dillon. But the Lee turret is a sound setup and he will be able to load fair amounts of ammo in a reasonable time and the setup will meet his budget.
ALSO...
OP depending on where you live powder and primers can be found. From the web I like Wideners
Bulk .223 bullets 5000 $465, delivered
I have 5K primers coming from them
The stuff is there, You just have to know where to look.
Good luck to you!
Old 02-01-2014, 2:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson.redding View Post
I am close to having the funds to purchase a Lee Classic Turret Kit and the dies needed for 9mm, .40 S&W and .223
However, I thought I would search around for supplies and found that powder is hard to find in town.
All in all, is it worth buying reloading gear now, or am I better off investing in another firearm?
OMG.

Someone who was looking out for me just told me that 3rdgeneration shooters had some IMR 8208 powder in stock and it was good stuff for .223. When I got there I ALSO found that they had 8# jugs of IMR4320 which is ALSO great for .308 and .223.

I ALSO found that they had Leverlution AND H110. So not I have powder for all of my rifles AND my Deagle and magnums.

Yeah I had to spend about $400 but I just picked up like another 18lbs of powder... THAT is what reloading is about. Picking and choosing your battles for lower prices. Go there now and load up on IMR 8208 and 4320 so that you will have powder for your .223. They also have other powders there too like 700X in 8# jugs and I THINK that should cover you well for other DAMN I should have bought one of those too. That stuff should cover you for a lot of other cartridges like common pistol rounds. I use 800X in .45 and I think it can be used in others too. What are you waiting for? go go go!

In other news, A well known dillon owner kicked the bucket today in LHC and nobody gave a ****...

I kid I kid. But when it comes to Dillon owners, I have to agree, MOST if not ALL that I have met so far in real life have been cool peeps. It is only those few that lack that certain control gene that makes them get BlueTouretteitis - which is a syndrome that makes them blurt out their love of blue to anyone and everyone. More easily seen on the internet, in real life these are the guys walking alone on the sidewalk arguing with themselves very violently and loudly...

I am a Lee fan myself because of that Classic 4 hole Turret of theirs, and I have to check myself constantly because sometimes I think that I might be coming down with RojoTouretteitis and I REALLY do not want to let anyone know that I have that.

Today I screamed at some ***** in a driveway/road because the stupid **** was sitting on a pressure plate and it was at an intersection and it made my light turn red and SHE WAS THE ONLY ONE THERE. I have NEVER screamed so hard and pounded my horn so many times at one person because the stupid ***** REFUSED TO MOVE because she was too engrossed in whatever the **** was going on in her front console area OH and her other hand was playing with her hair. She glanced at me ONCE during my 18 honks but it was not even a full glance, just a quick one to see what was making that noise; then she DID look at the light but decided TO STAY RIGHT THE **** WHERE SHE WAS! Meanwhile 4 people were now waiting for that ***** to move. I swear to god I just wanted to t-bone her and then get out, pull her through her busted window by her hair and give her a driver's education. God I swear what the **** is wrong with people that they don't give a **** about anyone but themselves? The sad thing here too is that my g/f was on the phone that I just called before my light turned yellow. She thought that I was about to pitt someone with my Vic... Okay. Had to get that off my chest. I am a nice guy, really I am, but I have very little tolerance for stupidity when it is other idiots that are being stupid.

Yeah anyways, go get that powder OP...

Last edited by stilly; 02-01-2014 at 3:23 AM..
Old 02-01-2014, 3:32 AM

It doesn't take much to start doing a bit of handloading. Here is what I started with back about 1964 at age 18:

The classic Lee Loader cost all of about $9.95 then, today it runs about $39.98. The original came in a black cardboard box, I wonder where it went? I cranked out .44 Magnum cartridges for a Ruger Deerstalker Carbine. I was so poor I couldn't afford factory ammo, but components were really cheap then, so I loaded from scratch. Loading new brass, or making some exotic wildcat cartridge cases and loading them is referred to as handloading. Reloading is exactly that, firing factory ammo and then reloading it. Although I suppose if a handloaded cartridge is fired and loaded again it's technically reloading. But I'm not a barber, so why split hairs?

Actually I started with a Lee Loader for shotgun shells and it made acceptable loads, although the local garden supply store sold reloaded paper shells for a dime apiece which was easier. Lee doesn't make the shotgun hand tools any more, and its just as well because the old paper hulls were easier to process.

While I started out to save money, handloading became a passion. As my gun collection grew, so did my loading equipment. What I learned was that handloading is a very precise and rewarding experience. It becomes an introduction to the scientific method, theorizing about what will work best in a particular gun, then experimenting to test the theory. The only thing that comes close is baking bread. Which ingredients will bake up into sourdough rye, or classic French or Italian loves, and which will fall flatter than a sleeping cat in a beam of sunlight? In both cases you are producing something useful by following recipes that carry the potential for survival when things get tough. If you can shoot, hunt, handload, cast bullets, butcher game, fish, grow a basic garden of veggies, cook more than brats on a barbecue, and bake bread from scratch, chances are you'll survive anything. That's where the magic happens, it's all about learning how things work, and being self-sufficient. Not a bad way to spend some time, keeps me at home and out of trouble, and even my wife likes to help with loading. Getting the family involved is an added bonus. Besides, handloading and shooting what you load is American as can be, and that's a good thing.
Old 02-01-2014, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenguy View Post

No, I think the neeners come from the blue boys.