Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-24-2008, 5:36 PM

Default Went to a gun show today...

.....and purchased my first stripped lower.(I know, not too exciting) But I'm excited. Stag stripped lower. I'm on the 10 day wait.

My Calguns lurking up till now has been researching legal aspects. Now it's time to figure out what to build. Might be a dumb question but here it goes. I saw a rifle kit on Rock River Arms site that comes with everything but the lower. Are there other companies that sell complete kits like RRA? I'm a newbie to all of this (only own a Glock till now) so I thought a complete kit would be the way to go....Oh yea, got a bullet button 2 also..

Your thoughts?

Here's the link to what I was looking at...

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_ID=199
Old 02-24-2008, 5:43 PM

There is someone on ARFCOM that sells complete Stag kits.
Old 02-24-2008, 5:43 PM

RRA is a good brand. Lots of people make rifle kits, some are better than others.

Brian
Old 02-24-2008, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOne View Post
There is someone on ARFCOM that sells complete Stag kits.
Found it. Here's the link incase anyone else is interested..

http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/page2.html
Old 02-24-2008, 7:47 PM

Very nice. You sound like me. I just bought my 1st OLL and have only 8 days and 6 hours until I can pick it up. I wanted to keep all the cool features like the pistol grip so I bought the bullet button from tenpercentfirearms.com. I looked at the RRA kit and the only downside is you have to buy a sight so the 680 doesn't include the sight. Thats why I am going with a cheaper stag upper. If price isn't a constraint then go for it. I have heard good things about RRA.
Old 02-24-2008, 8:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I know the idea of a kit sounds so much easier, but it takes away probably the best part of the AR platform -- choosing your parts.

You have a few days, so spend them researching what you want.

I would suggest picking up an LMT, CMMG, Rock River or Stag upper (in that order). You'll want to consider type of rifle (carbine or rifle, barrel length and thickness, flat top upper or A2 with fixed carry handle).

Your stock choice style will be somewhat determined by upper choice (fixed or carbine)

Here are the parts needed to build your own "kit."
1.) Lower
2.) Complete upper
3.) Buttstock kit (buttstock, buffer tube/spring/buffer)
4.) Lower Parts Kit (LPK)
5.) Bullet button
6.) Magazine

Optional: ammo & optics

Here are my suggestions for a 1st build: decide rifle or carbine. Get yourself an LMT or CMMG complete upper. If you're concerned about reliability, be sure to get the enhanced bolt. Get a flat-top upper (allows the most choices in optics).

Most people opt for a 16" rifle to start. If you can, get mid-length gas system for reliability. Get a carbine buttstock (RRA if you're going cheap, Magpul CTR or VLTOR if you want nice). Get a RRA or Armalite LPK. If you're not doing a railed forend immediately, get a standard fixed front sight base.

If you ever think you might want to do a featureless MMG build, get a muzzle brake instead of the flash hider.

Some other nice items you can add now or later: railed forend, rail covers, flip-up rear sight, better grip (Magpul MIAD, TangoDown, Ergo, Hogue, etc...), Magpul Enhanced trigger guard.

That's enough information overload.

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
Old 02-24-2008, 8:22 PM

First one is always the coolest feeling.
Old 02-24-2008, 8:27 PM

This may sound stupid but....I know all lowers are supposed to be mill spec, but with my stag lower, do I need to worry about it "lining up" if I go with a different upper? Hoping I don't get flak for that question.....
Old 02-24-2008, 8:37 PM

When dealing with the Colts, Stags, LMT, CMMG, RRA, etc, interchanging different brand uppers and different brand lowers won't be a problem. It is when you use those questionable companies such as Vulcan were you run into problems.
Old 02-24-2008, 9:49 PM
Ready fo HILLARY!!

You're going to want a Lower Parts kit, a buttstock assembly (meaning stock, tube, spring and buffer thing), and a complete upper.

The stag 2H upper the riflegear guy sells for ~483 is a good choice IMO.

PM me if you need more help, I'm in El Dorado county too (Cool).