Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-22-2014, 4:37 PM

Default L.A. County Sheriff's race deets

Here is more about the LA Cty Sheriff's race:

The scuttlebutt seems to be that Tanaka is both a front-runner and pro-CCW.

I did some research on all the candidates I could identify.

Here is Tanaka's stance on CCW. Links to other info about him after the quote:

"I understand the need for caution when allowing civilian residents to legally carry firearms in public. However, as a strong supporter of the Second Amendment I also believe in a person's right to defend themselves, their families and their homes from possible threats; if it is done in a responsible manner. When elected Sheriff, I will ensure that every CCW request is evaluated on an objective and individual basis without favoritism. If there is a compelling and justified reason for one to be issued, and the applicant meets all the conditions required under the law, I will ensure that the application is duly processed." - http://www.paultanaka.com/issues

BUT, this may be politically expedient doublespeak: http://www.laweekly.com/2013-12-12/n...ul-tanaka-ccw/

"Paul Tanaka is making a pitch to the gun-rights community by promising to reform the way the department handles permits for concealed weapons, or CCWs. In a statement on his campaign website, Tanaka calls himself "a strong supporter of the Second Amendment," and laments that L.A. is one of the toughest counties in the state in which to get a permit.

Yet Tanaka's record of handling concealed weapons has been more complicated. For a two-year period when he was Baca's undersheriff, Tanaka was in charge of issuing concealed-weapons permits. In that time, he denied the vast majority of applications he received. Of the few he approved, one went to a billionaire movie producer who is now a key supporter of his campaign."

Thanks to tahoetarga for this Tanaka interview on KFI:

http://www.kfiam640.com/media/podcas...-121-24217907/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Tanaka

A career law enforcement officer.
January 7, 2005 to June 2011, he was the an Assistant Sheriff
He has been criticized for his affiliation with the "Vikings", a secret police organization brought to light amidst police misconduct litigation in 1990.
March 7, 1988, Tanaka was involved in a controversial killing of an unarmed Korean American in Long Beach, sparking outrage among Korean American community leaders

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...#axzz2rArsfHVe

Jim Hellmold, a 25-year department veteran (and perennial favorite in the deputy union’s member-voted ratings) also running. He rose from Baca’s driver to assistant sheriff, is well-liked among the rank and file, sought to distance himself from the embattled Baca **** may have been involved in preferential issuance of CCW to Holierthanthouwood Hypocrite, Sly Stallone: http://blog.riflegear.com/articles/t...-stallone.aspx
Long Beach Police Chief Jim McDonnell also running, boasting a long list of supporters including Dist. Atty. Jackie Lacey, her predecessor Steve Cooley and Los Angeles police Chief Charlie Beck. Political observers say he should be considered a front-runner *** CCW stance not clear, google results with his name and "CCW" lead to pages without those terms on them
Assistant Sheriff Todd Rogers entered the race the day that Baca pulled out. He is currently serving as a councilman and Vice Mayor for the city of Lakewood. Calguns.net member relates him to be "a nice guy, very personable". No verifiable info on his CCW stance available at this time.

Here is the local paper's report on Rogers entering the race: http://www.loscerritosnews.net/2014/...-sheriff-baca/
__________________*** Unable to find info on his CCW stance
Two of Baca’s former top aides are also running: ousted undersheriff Paul Tanaka and retired sheriff’s commander Bob Olmsted. ***Called Olmsted's PR group and awaiting word on his CCW position.
Thanks to Mute for the following: http://www.bobolmsted.com/wp-content...-to-Reform.pdf
"Olmsted will ensure CCWPs are given out in a fair & evenhanded way to those who can demonstrate a clear and present need. Olmsted will increase training requirements and fees for those who apply for CCW permits." Also wants to require re-application every two years.

http://www.presstelegram.com/governm...county-sheriff

"Those who decide to run to be the head of the nation’s largest Sheriff’s Department will face a series of issues that will test their leadership.

They include the fallout from 18 current and former deputies being indicted in December for an array of alleged crimes, a Justice Department investigation in 2013 that found deputies made unconstitutional stops and used excessive force against minorities in the Antelope Valley, and hiring practices that saw many deputies being hired with criminal records"

Also running:

Patrick Gomez; a retired sheriff’s lieutenant ***Called Gomez's campaign number, left message, awaiting call re his CCW position.

Lou Vince; a Los Angeles Police Department detective supervisor and sheriff’s reserve deputy *** Judging by this page, he is anti-CCW: https://m.facebook.com/CitizensAgainstLouVince

Baca endorses Todd Rogers and James Hellmold as strong candidates to replace him

"Among the candidates who have declared, Tanaka is viewed as a top contender."

mala tempora currunt

Last edited by DrVino; 01-26-2014 at 8:24 PM..
Old 01-22-2014, 5:35 PM
Veteran Member

Tanaka is not issue, "compelling and justified issue" means either you donate a lot to his campaign or you have been shoot on multiple occasion and barely made it alive. Todd Rogers & James Hellmold won't issue, they are Baca trusted man
Old 01-22-2014, 6:00 PM
Veteran Member

McDonnell being endorsed by Beck should tell you all you need to know.

Olmsted's position can be found here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=883200

Ask Lou Vince if his wife is volunteering to take the DNA samples.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...54&postcount=1
Old 01-22-2014, 6:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Lou Vince wants a DNA sample? LMAO these guys are a **** stain on our constitution.

Shop at AMAZON to help Calguns Foundation

CRPA Life Member. Click here to Join.

NRA Member JOIN HERE/
Old 01-22-2014, 6:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVino View Post
Better check your scuttlebutt sources - or cut back on the Vino. He is a Baca clone, nothing else to say. Anyone who was considered "Baca's right hand man" is a no.

March 6, 2013 | By Jack Leonard and Robert Faturechi, Los Angeles Times

L.A. County sheriff's No. 2 leader to quit

Dogged by allegations of misconduct and mismanagement, the second-in-command at the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department announced Wednesday that he was stepping down from his position managing the law enforcement agency. The exit of Paul Tanaka, 54, stunned people inside and outside the Sheriff's Department because he was considered Sheriff Lee Baca's right-hand man and once held wide authority over the 18,000-person department's daily operations. But Tanaka had become a magnet for criticism amid a federal probe into allegations that sheriff's jailers abused inmates in L.A. County jails.

Last edited by bill_k_lopez; 01-22-2014 at 7:00 PM..
Old 01-22-2014, 7:41 PM

My sources are pretty solid. But scuttlebutt is opinion and gossip by another name. Nevertheless, of all the candidates, he's the only one to take a pro2A stance - even if it is disingenuous and intended to gain votes.
But, this post is meant to compile "collective intel" - your contribution to that is noted and appreciated.
Anyone with additional verifiable info is encouraged to contribute.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

mala tempora currunt

Last edited by DrVino; 01-22-2014 at 7:48 PM..
Old 01-22-2014, 7:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
My sources are pretty solid. But scuttlebutt is opinion and gossip by another name. Nevertheless, of all the candidates, he's the only one to take a pro2A stance - even if it is disingenuous and intended to gain votes.
But, this post is meant to compile collective Intel - your contribution to that is noted and appreciated.

You need to do more research. His so-called "pro 2A" stance is anything but. You will easily find very similar proclamations of support for the 2A from the likes of Feinstein and Boxer and a myriad of other gun control zealots.

Right now, the only candidates that appear to be even remotely close to pro-CCW are Lou Vince and Bob Olmstead. We've yet to see an official stance from Olmstead and Vince, while stating he'll issue without the need to demonstrate "good cause" has such onerous, and most likely illegal, requirements (DNA sample, psych eval, quarterly re-eval...etc.) that it's really a stretch to call him pro 2A. We'll just have to see how this plays out as we move forward toward election.

CORRECTION

It appears that Olmstead has given his statement:

http://www.bobolmsted.com/wp-content...-to-Reform.pdf

While his application process appears to be similar to what many issuing agencies are doing, he still has the weasel words "demonstrate a clear and present need", which is just an extension of "good cause." This is not particularly good news.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Discounted NRA Membership Sign Up

Last edited by Mute; 01-22-2014 at 7:54 PM..
Old 01-22-2014, 7:57 PM

Jesus Christ on Crutches......
"scuttlebutt is opinion and gossip by another name"

Among the sources of that ***opinion*** I alluded to are people who deal with CCW issues on a daily basis.

If you posted similar content earlier, but with more info, or have additional info then post it here.
I don't care which of us is "right". I am interested in collecting extensive and accurate info.

Added your link and attributed in the original post. Thanks.

I called the numbers on the campaign websites of a few of the candidates as noted in my original post and will add their responses when I get them.

mala tempora currunt

Last edited by DrVino; 01-22-2014 at 8:12 PM..
Old 01-22-2014, 8:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I hear quite a few opinions from the LASD and LAPD officers that I know, but that's just more opinions. I can only count on the candidate's official statements and none of them are great. Tanaka, however, is horrible. He is corrupt, maybe even more so than Baca. As far as his pro 2A statement, my diagnosis is not from anyone else's interpretation, but from watching politicians screw us over year after year after year. The biggest culprit have all made statements that are almost verbatim, the very words that Tanaka uses.

I will say this, none of my sources care for Tanaka in the slightest.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Discounted NRA Membership Sign Up

Last edited by Mute; 01-22-2014 at 8:07 PM..
Old 01-22-2014, 8:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
But, this post is meant to compile "collective intel" - your contribution to that is noted and appreciated.

One day, a scorpion looked around at the mountain where he lived and decided that he wanted a change. So he set out on a journey through the forests and hills. He climbed over rocks and under vines and kept going until he reached a river.
The river was wide and swift, and the scorpion stopped to reconsider the situation. He couldn't see any way across. So he ran upriver and then checked downriver, all the while thinking that he might have to turn back.

Suddenly, he saw a frog sitting in the rushes by the bank of the stream on the other side of the river. He decided to ask the frog for help getting across the stream.

"Hellooo Mr. Frog!" called the scorpion across the water, "Would you be so kind as to give me a ride on your back across the river?"

"Well now, Mr. Scorpion! How do I know that if I try to help you, you wont try to kill me?" asked the frog hesitantly.

"Because," the scorpion replied, "If I try to kill you, then I would die too, for you see I cannot swim!"

Now this seemed to make sense to the frog. But he asked. "What about when I get close to the bank? You could still try to kill me and get back to the shore!"

"This is true," agreed the scorpion, "But then I wouldn't be able to get to the other side of the river!"

"Alright then...how do I know you wont just wait till we get to the other side and THEN kill me?" said the frog.

"Ahh...," crooned the scorpion, "Because you see, once you've taken me to the other side of this river, I will be so grateful for your help, that it would hardly be fair to reward you with death, now would it?!"

So the frog agreed to take the scorpion across the river. He swam over to the bank and settled himself near the mud to pick up his passenger. The scorpion crawled onto the frog's back, his sharp claws *****ling into the frog's soft hide, and the frog slid into the river. The muddy water swirled around them, but the frog stayed near the surface so the scorpion would not drown. He kicked strongly through the first half of the stream, his flippers paddling wildly against the current.

Halfway across the river, the frog suddenly felt a sharp sting in his back and, out of the corner of his eye, saw the scorpion remove his stinger from the frog's back. A deadening numbness began to creep into his limbs.

"You fool!" croaked the frog, "Now we shall both die! Why on earth did you do that?"

The scorpion shrugged, and did a little jig on the drownings frog's back.

"I could not help myself. It is my nature."

Then they both sank into the muddy waters of the swiftly flowing river.

Self destruction - "Its my Nature", said the Scorpion...

But...the scorpion said it would hardly be fair to reward the frog with death??

But...Tanaka said he's Pro2A?

Last edited by bill_k_lopez; 01-22-2014 at 8:07 PM..
Old 01-22-2014, 8:14 PM

Yes. In my original post pointed out inconsistencies between his current position statement and his record.

mala tempora currunt
Old 01-22-2014, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
I hear quite a few opinions from the LASD and LAPD officers that I know, but that's just more opinions. I can only count on the candidate's official statements and none of them are great. Tanaka, however, is horrible. He is corrupt, maybe even more so than Baca. As far as his pro 2A statement, my diagnosis is not from anyone else's interpretation, but from watching politicians screw us over year after year after year. The biggest culprit have all made statements that are almost verbatim, the very words that Tanaka uses.

I will say this, none of my sources care for Tanaka in the slightest.
OK. My sources get people through the CCW process.

In either case, let's get more input and info on all these candidates.

mala tempora currunt
Old 01-22-2014, 8:50 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

Sadly enough, Tanaka could be even worse than Baca was. It is well known and documented that Tanaka was a member of the Lynwood Vikings. Even Baca disagreed with and wanted to put a stop to the deputy "groups" that were really just barely masked gangs.

Tanaka has been embroiled in scandal from the very beginning of his career. Beginning with the fatal shooting of an unarmed teen in '89. His association with the "Vikings" in the 90s, inability to curb corruption and violence within the jails, along with the strong preference for cronyism that he exhibits.

I worry for the people of LA County. I grew up there, and will not move back into that county if I can find a way to avoid it.

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 01-22-2014, 9:47 PM

If you're an LA Couny voter, you should listen to Tanaka getting grilled on this radio show...

Even if you can't vote for LA's sheriff, it's worth listening to.
Old 01-22-2014, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoetarga View Post
If you're an LA Couny voter, you should listen to Tanaka getting grilled on this radio show...

Even if you can't vote for LA's sheriff, it's worth listening to.
Thanks, Adding to main post so it does not get lost in the thread.

mala tempora currunt
Old 01-23-2014, 1:39 AM

Anyone know Todd Roger's stance on CCW? I noticed that LAX Range liked his FB page, wondering if they know something we don't.
Old 01-23-2014, 6:15 AM

Tanaka has been overseeing the CCW applications for the County for years. Baca delegated that duty to Tanaka. How has the CCW application process been going say for the past 5 years?

This alone should tell you what Tanaka's policy and views will be concerning CCW's.
Old 01-23-2014, 6:18 AM

If Tanaka is claiming to be pro second amendment then he is lying.
Old 01-23-2014, 8:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You want to get a CCW in LA county? Better make at least a $5000 donation to every candidate. That way you are covered.
Old 01-23-2014, 8:51 AM

Todd Rogers is currently serving as a councilman and Vice Mayor for the city of Lakewood where I live. I've met him on a few occasions. He is a nice guy, very personable, but I don't know his stance on CCW. Never had a reason to ask him until now.

Here is the local paper's report on Rogers entering the race: http://www.loscerritosnews.net/2014/...-sheriff-baca/
“People who follow the rules can protect themselves and their families from people who don’t follow the rules. The Second Amendment should never be an afterthought. It should reside at the forefronts of our minds.
Old 01-23-2014, 9:59 AM

Thanks. Will review and add pertinent points in a bit.

mala tempora currunt
Old 01-23-2014, 4:34 PM
Just a Guy

Are any of these guys. ANY OF THEM pro 2A
Old 01-26-2014, 8:20 PM

Anyone with more details is asked to continue adding to this thread.

mala tempora currunt
Old 01-26-2014, 8:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsend81 View Post
Todd Rogers is currently serving as a councilman and Vice Mayor for the city of Lakewood where I live. I've met him on a few occasions. He is a nice guy, very personable, but I don't know his stance on CCW. Never had a reason to ask him until now.

Rogers is a Baca guy.Did you know that Rogers tried to get your captain transferred out because he supports Tanaka. Did you know the last two captains at Lakewood station as lieutenants donated to Tanakas mayoral campaign in Gardena ad then got their promotions.
Old 01-26-2014, 8:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Anyone with more details is asked to continue adding to this thread.
Tanaka is a heartbeat away from being federally indicted when his buddy former Lt. and presently indicted Greg Thompson rolls over on him.
Old 01-26-2014, 9:11 PM
Veteran Member

LA sheriff race. Between one guy who wants a total and complete ban on all firearms and and the other guy who says the first is a shill for the NRA.

They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:49 AM

I've been hearing Sheriff candidates on LA radio doing interviews for weeks now, and not one interviewer has asked something to the effect of, "given more and more states across the country are relaxing CCW issuance policies for law abiding citizens and 'shall issue' is currently in effect in 40 states, do you support the concept of 'self defense' as sufficient cause for a law abiding, non-prohibited citizen of LA County to obtain a CCW permit from your department?"

I would consider a significant (for me) campaign donation to any candidate who came out in support of shall issue.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:13 AM

Perhaps, as the race gets going and candidates get more solid, one of the pro2A groups should make a formal inquiry to each candidate in the very wording you suggest:

"Given that more and more states across the country are relaxing CCW issuance policies for law abiding citizens and 'shall issue' is currently in effect in 40 states, do you support the concept of 'self defense' as sufficient cause for a law abiding, non-prohibited citizen of LA County to obtain a CCW permit from your department?"

Thoughts? Anyone?

mala tempora currunt
Old 01-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
He is just manipulating us gun owners with his pro-LTC claims. Don't fall for it. He is an insider. He's a younger version of Sheriff Baca.

He may be a front runner, or he may be so tainted by Baca that he'll lose.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:45 PM
Calguns Addict

No to Tanaka.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 01-31-2014, 12:23 AM
CGN Contributor

Absolutely no to Tanaka. He is no friend of ours. His history under Leroy Baca speaks for itself. Dont fall for his sophistry.

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: always cheat and always win."

"Don't shoot fast, shoot good."

-- Clint Smith
Old 01-31-2014, 1:00 PM

As a resident of Gardena the last 12 years, I'm here to tell you Tanaka is a political (hack) animal. I'm leaning towards Olmstead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Carson View Post
I am supporting Olmstead regardless to his CCW stance. I do not think any pro-ccw candidate for sheriff will win in L.A. county. I am supporting Olmstaed because the LASD is a mess and I believe he can fix it.
^^This^^

I tend to agree, I also know that to get elected a candidate cannot publicly state they will grant a CCW for "self defense". That would be political suicide in this county.
"Liberty isn't going to come by trying to take over Washington DC, or the republican party, or the democratic party, or your state caucus or a national convention. There is no “lesser of two evils.” They’re all evil."
Michael Boldin
TAC
http://www.selfgovernment.us
Old 02-03-2014, 3:49 PM

James Craig was once an LAPD officer. We need him back.
"Liberty isn't going to come by trying to take over Washington DC, or the republican party, or the democratic party, or your state caucus or a national convention. There is no “lesser of two evils.” They’re all evil."
Michael Boldin
TAC
http://www.selfgovernment.us
Old 02-03-2014, 4:06 PM

One does feel the need to pinch themselves on seeing that....

mala tempora currunt

Last edited by DrVino; 02-05-2014 at 9:53 AM..
Old 02-03-2014, 7:23 PM
CGN Contributor

What a standup guy! I honestly dont think a straight shooter like that would stand a chance in LA.

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: always cheat and always win."

"Don't shoot fast, shoot good."

-- Clint Smith
Old 02-14-2014, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member

As your Sheriff, the LASD will honor the courts decision and adhere to state law, accepting applications directly without altering the qualifications for granting CCW's.- Bob Olmstead.
Old 02-14-2014, 1:44 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.facebook.com/OlmstedInstead
Old 02-14-2014, 2:08 PM

Given the Peruta ruling (even if it's pending en banc or appeal or whatever), I'd like to know how these candidates feel about "good cause".

mala tempora currunt
Old 02-14-2014, 2:13 PM

Angry Don't be fooled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Are any of these guys. ANY OF THEM pro 2A
No.

Each is the lesser of some kind of evil, but none are pro-Second Amendment.

NONE.

Decl. of Indep., July 4, 1776

NRA Benefactor/Life Member; Lifer: CRPA, GOA, SAF & JPFO

Old 02-15-2014, 2:06 PM

Default Sent via email to all current LA Sheriff Candidates

Dear Candidate for Los Angeles County Sheriff,

I am very interested in supporting your campaign. I am politically active, and volunteer much time and money for candidates I believe in. However, I do have a question I would like to ask you –the answer to which I will use to determine who I will be supporting in the upcoming election for the next Los Angeles County Sheriff:

In light of the Federal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals’ February, 13th, 2013 decision in Peruta vs. San Diego, and in your own personal approach regarding the issuance of Concealed Carry Weapon licenses (CCWs) to Los Angeles County residents, would you-

a) Issue a license to an individual that has stated “self-defense” as their good cause for a license on their application? (only answer YES or NO, please)

b) Determine an individual to have “good moral character” in regards to their CCW license application if they are not prohibited from currently purchasing or possessing a firearm -with no other possible disqualifiers or considerations to be used in making your determination? (only answer YES or NO, please)

Thank you for your time and consideration of this question. I network regularly with several different firearms forums and advocacy groups, and I look forward to your answer.

Regards,

VAReact

Will follow up with a hard letter and phone call if need be...
Madison Society Life Member
CRPA Life Member

Last edited by VAReact; 02-15-2014 at 2:11 PM.. Reason: typo